U.N; North Korea responsible for Nazi-like atrocities.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:32:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  U.N; North Korea responsible for Nazi-like atrocities.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: U.N; North Korea responsible for Nazi-like atrocities.  (Read 2211 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 17, 2014, 11:54:21 AM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2561201/North-Korea-categorically-totally-rejects-U-N-human-rights-report-details-starved-prison-camp-mothers-forced-drown-newborn-children.html

I dunno... I think you could make a case they were worse than the Nazis...
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 12:03:15 PM »

None of this are really news. Through we can hope that at some point the pure quantity of gruesome article make China decide that the NK are too bad PR for them to keep supporting them.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 07:33:58 PM »

No. No you could not.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 07:36:13 PM »

Do you know who also spammed the media full of useless information?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 11:55:27 AM »

No. No you could not.

Actually, you probably can, though not by much. Their camps for political prisoners aren't any better than concentration camps were, Kim Jong-il's regime is reported to have had short people deported from the capital to uninhabited islands in what amounts to a eugenics program to remove them from the gene pool, millions of their own people have starved to death under their gross mismanagement while Dear Leader drank $700k worth of cognac annually and had a group of servant women whose sole job was to make sure that every single grain of rice he ate at the same measurements, and one time when he was prescribed pain killers by his doctor he forced his staff to take them as well so he wouldn't become addicted to them alone, and there's not really any indications that Kim Jong-un is going to be any better of a leader. If nothing else they are about the same level of evil as the Nazis where.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 12:57:13 PM »

I'm not disputing the gross insanity and brutality of the Kims, but they haven't attempted to mass-exterminate entire races of people (though TBF there are basically no minorities in either Korea) or embark on aggressive global conquest.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 01:48:00 PM »

I happen to think gas chambers are/were more humane compared to whatever to hell Kim's doing...

And the only reason they haven't attempted to embark on a global conquest is because China and Russia would smack them silly.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 01:54:59 PM »

I'm not disputing the gross insanity and brutality of the Kims, but they haven't attempted to mass-exterminate entire races of people (though TBF there are basically no minorities in either Korea) or embark on aggressive global conquest.

This is more a consequence of circumstance then intent.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 02:03:44 PM »

Yeah, there's a lot of really extraordinarily racist material in the propaganda that North Korea produces for domestic consumption.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 02:21:26 PM »

The North Koreans do exterminate people on the basis of their ethnic background in the sense that they lock up and execute those related to anybody who has committed certain crimes.

Many prisoners of the camp were born there under North Korea's "three generations of punishment". This means anyone found guilty of committing a crime, which could be as simple as trying to escape North Korea, would be sent to the camp along with that person's entire family. The subsequent two generations of family members would be born in the camp and must also live their entire lives and die there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaechon_internment_camp
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 02:28:06 PM »

Honestly when people compare Nazi Germany with something, I think people should stop comparing Hollywood Nazi Germany with something but use the real version. The dark truth are that if you lived in Nazi Germany for the vast majority of the population it was far superior to live in North Korea even with the end. While for the minority who ended up in the camps and prisons, well there are not much difference between ending up in a hybrid work/death camp because you're Jewish or because you happen to be related to someone who have commited some kind of faux pas agianst the Great/Beloved/Glorious Leader, while for political opponent of the regime I think I would prefer the German camps, as the political prisoner in Nazi Germany seemed to have a higher survival rate than North Korean ones.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 03:01:47 PM »
« Edited: February 18, 2014, 03:15:03 PM by Snowstalker »

Yeah, there's a lot of really extraordinarily racist material in the propaganda that North Korea produces for domestic consumption.

It still doesn't change the fact that North Korea, brutal as it may be, has not committed crimes anywhere near the scale of the Third Reich.

This reason of scale (as well as the whole industrial genocide thing) is why Adolf Hitler is more often called "the most evil man of all time" than Kim Il-sung, or Ante Pavelic, or Pol Pot, even if the latter three were arguably just as brutal at an individual level.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 03:25:18 PM »

It still doesn't change the fact that North Korea, brutal as it may be, has not committed crimes anywhere near the scale of the Third Reich.

This reason of scale (as well as the whole industrial genocide thing) is why Adolf Hitler is more often called "the most evil man of all time" than Kim Il-sung, or Ante Pavelic, or Pol Pot, even if the latter three were arguably just as brutal at an individual level.

No it's the fact that he lost and his victims was Europeans/White which is the reason (..and it's western phenomen, Indians, Africans, Middle Easterner or East Asians would mention other people). If we focused on scale Stalin and Mao likely killed more people, even Djengis Khan may beat him. But Stalin and Mao won.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 03:25:54 PM »

North Korea is far more comparable to Stalinist Russia than Nazi Germany. Two completely different types of oppression.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 03:55:20 PM »

After a certain point I don't think scale matters all that much in comparing how evil two regimes are. Both Nazi Germany and North Korea have killed millions of their own people, and at that point you can be certain that if the the smaller of the two was the size of the greater that they would scale up accordingly. At that level I think it's more about looking at the methods of oppression used, what percentage of the population is oppressed, etc.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 04:42:10 PM »
« Edited: February 18, 2014, 04:44:05 PM by Snowstalker »

No it's the fact that he lost and his victims was Europeans/White which is the reason (..and it's western phenomen, Indians, Africans, Middle Easterner or East Asians would mention other people). If we focused on scale Stalin and Mao likely killed more people, even Djengis Khan may beat him. But Stalin and Mao won.

Stalin probably didn't kill more people--most people actually survived the gulags, the purges were at most a million or so, and the Holodomor/other famines/massacres bring his toll up to 10 million, more if you count the Nazis killed on the Eastern Front (which is dumb). The majority Chinese deaths were the simple issue of mass famine in a developing country/sheer government corruption/incompetence, though Mao himself had plenty of blood on his hands too.

As for the Hitler thing, Jews at this time weren't particularly highly-regarded anywhere despite being "white", nor were Roma, homosexuals, or communists.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies