Quebec: April 7, 2014
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:49:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Quebec: April 7, 2014
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 28
Author Topic: Quebec: April 7, 2014  (Read 63141 times)
Krago
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: April 05, 2014, 11:16:46 AM »

514 Montreal, excl. Laval

Which ridings did you use for 418 and 819?

514   Acadie, Anjou-Louis-Riel, Bourassa-Sauvé, Bourget, Crémazie, D'Arcy-McGee, Gouin, Hochelaga-Maisonneuve, Jacques-Cartier, Jeanne-Mance-Viger, LaFontaine, Laurier-Dorion, Marguerite-Bourgeoys, Marquette, Mercier, Mont-Royal, Nelligan, Notre-Dame-de-Grâce, Outremont, Pointe-aux-Trembles, Robert-Baldwin, Rosemont, Sainte-Marie-Saint-Jacques, Saint-Henri-Sainte-Anne, Saint-Laurent, Verdun, Viau, Westmount-Saint-Louis

450   Argenteuil, Beauharnois, Berthier, Bertrand, Blainville, Borduas, Brome-Missisquoi, Chambly, Châteauguay, Chomedey, Deux-Montagnes, Fabre, Granby, Groulx, Huntingdon, Iberville, Joliette, La Pinière, La Prairie, Laporte, L'Assomption, Laval-des-Rapides, Marie-Victorin, Masson, Mille-Îles, Mirabel, Montarville, Repentigny, Richelieu, Rousseau, Sainte-Rose, Saint-Hyacinthe, Saint-Jean, Saint-Jérôme, Sanguinet, Soulanges, Taillon, Terrebonne, Vachon, Vaudreuil, Verchères, Vimont

819   Abitibi-Est, Abitibi-Ouest, Arthabaska, Champlain, Chapleau, Drummond-Bois-Francs, Gatineau, Hull, Johnson, Labelle, Laviolette, Maskinongé, Mégantic, Nicolet-Bécancour, Orford, Papineau, Pontiac, Richmond, Rouyn-Noranda-Témiscamingue, Saint-François, Saint-Maurice, Sherbrooke, Trois-Rivières, Ungava

418   Beauce-Nord, Beauce-Sud, Bellechasse, Bonaventure, Charlesbourg, Charlevoix-Côte-de-Beaupré, Chauveau, Chicoutimi, Chutes-de-la-Chaudière, Côte-du-Sud, Dubuc, Duplessis, Gaspé, Îles-de-la-Madeleine, Jean-Lesage, Jean-Talon, Jonquière, La Peltrie, Lac-Saint-Jean, Lévis, Lotbinière-Frontenac, Louis-Hébert, Matane-Matapédia, Montmorency, Portneuf, René-Lévesque, Rimouski, Rivière-du-Loup-Témiscouata, Roberval, Taschereau, Vanier-Les Rivières
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #451 on: April 05, 2014, 12:35:57 PM »

Thanks!

Your 450 matches what I had previously figured out (see my Week 3 projection), so that's good.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #452 on: April 05, 2014, 02:08:11 PM »

I can't help but think these 'the PQ is eternally doomed' projections remind me of similar ones regarding the Republicans. While party politics in Canada has historically been more fluid than in the US, as long as a significant portion of the population of Quebec supports left-wing, sovereigntist politics there will be room for a party that supports those positions, either the PQ itself or (and I highly doubt this will come to pass) a broadly-similar successor party.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #453 on: April 05, 2014, 02:16:24 PM »

I can't help but think these 'the PQ is eternally doomed' projections remind me of similar ones regarding the Republicans. While party politics in Canada has historically been more fluid than in the US, as long as a significant portion of the population of Quebec supports left-wing, sovereigntist politics there will be room for a party that supports those positions, either the PQ itself or (and I highly doubt this will come to pass) a broadly-similar successor party.

Who said the PQ is doomed? They'll be back in a couple of cycles, but medium to long term some ideological adjustments may be in order. If this current trend holds, which it may not - 20 years ago picture was very different.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #454 on: April 05, 2014, 02:35:07 PM »

Who said the PQ is doomed?

No one in this thread, but the article by Don Macpherson you linked to seems to imply it and I get the sense that there are figures out there drawing overbroad conclusions from one poorly-run PQ campaign.

They'll be back in a couple of cycles, but medium to long term some ideological adjustments may be in order. If this current trend holds, which it may not - 20 years ago picture was very different.

Isn't "adjustments to the ideology will be necessary in the future for Party X to stay relevant" a sort of universal truth, though? One Party X's opponents like to bring up as if it were an impossibility every time Party X loses, even though the parties' positions in democratic societies have always tended to be fluid.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #455 on: April 05, 2014, 03:56:07 PM »

Reminder from Macpherson: this will be the shortest-lived elected government since Confederation. Guess someone had to set the record.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #456 on: April 05, 2014, 05:44:06 PM »

How funny would it be if CAQ was able to push PQ into third?

Getting close with Angus Reid.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #457 on: April 05, 2014, 06:04:30 PM »

How funny would it be if CAQ was able to push PQ into third?

Getting close with Angus Reid.

PV perhaps, but not seats. Doubt either happens, same question was posed 19 months ago about PLQ/CAQ too.
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #458 on: April 05, 2014, 08:36:46 PM »

While I wouldn't write the PQ off, in Canada, major political parties do actually disappear from time to time
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #459 on: April 05, 2014, 09:18:43 PM »

While I wouldn't write the PQ off, in Canada, major political parties do actually disappear from time to time

That's true, but what I was saying was that even in the extremely unlikely event that the PQ does "die", there would be a successor party that would win sovereigntist votes and have a sovereigntist platform, the way that for instance right-wing votes in British Columbia migrated from the Socreds to the Liberals (or even the way that in Quebec the CAQ absorbed the ADQ). Political parties do die in Canada, but people continue to vote.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #460 on: April 05, 2014, 09:38:43 PM »

Apparently an Angus Reid poll has the Liberals at 39, the PQ at 27 and the CAQ at 25. Could the CAQ actually do rather well for itself?

Yes and no.

More than 2/3 of CAQ's seats were won by less than 10%, so even a marginal drop will cost them dearly. They should avoid disaster and do much better than what was expected at the start of the campaign. Assuming current numbers hold, they ought to retain a core of half a dozen seats or so instead of the 2-3 that people were expecting a week or two ago.
DL
Canada

« Reply #461 on: April 06, 2014, 12:46:24 AM »

Quebec is actually a bit of a graveyard of dead political parties - so idf the PQ shrivels up and dies it ill be nothing new:

The Union Nationale  1939-1939, 1944-1960 and 1966-1970, then they were crushed in the 1970 election, then wiped off the map in 1973 - in less then four years they went from being the government of Quebec to having no seats at all and they are dead to this day

Social Credit was another phenomenon that swept Quebec in ther 60s and then dies in 1980 when it was wiped off the map and never heard from again.

More recently the Bloc Quebecois lost almost all its seats to the NDP in 2011 and it shows no signs of ever coming back and it is for all intents and purposes a dead party.

The PQ could get torn apart between people deserting it for Quebec Solidaire and people going CAQ and the fact that the PQ lost because people wanted to reject their central credo which is Quebec independence will mean a lot of soul searching to say the least.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #462 on: April 06, 2014, 05:26:20 AM »

Yup, basically.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #463 on: April 06, 2014, 03:41:48 PM »

Predictions anyone?

PLQ: 72
PQ: 42
CAQ: 8
QS: 3 (Saint-Marie-Saint Jacques is the 3rd)

This of course is subject to change if there are any last minute polls.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #464 on: April 06, 2014, 04:02:04 PM »

Fo' da lulz, a prediction with no grounding in data or in knowledge of the electoral situation in the ridings.

PLQ: 67 seats, 38 percent
PQ: 46 seats, 27 percent
CAQ: 10 seats, 22 percent
QS: 2 seats, 10 percent
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #465 on: April 06, 2014, 04:35:40 PM »

So, Pauline Marois is just a crap premier, or the crappiest premier?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #466 on: April 06, 2014, 04:40:24 PM »

Completely blew a winnable writ campaign, very similar to 2003 when she was Landry's deputy. Lousy premier to be sure on the political and policy fronts. Just 2 months ago the PLQ was in disarray (extremely rare for them: last time that happened was the late '60s) and completely incoherent on many policy issues, cartwheeling or waffling. PQ went through many contortions in their first year, which smoothed out last fall.
Krago
« Reply #467 on: April 06, 2014, 05:31:37 PM »

Will there be another CROP or Forum poll tonight or is it too late for that?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #468 on: April 06, 2014, 05:36:35 PM »

Crap premier, crappiest campaigner.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #469 on: April 06, 2014, 05:56:04 PM »

Will there be another CROP or Forum poll tonight or is it too late for that?

It's possible.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #470 on: April 06, 2014, 06:00:01 PM »

According to Twitter, there will be a Forum poll released tonight. Don't know about CROP.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #471 on: April 06, 2014, 07:37:35 PM »

Here are predictions -- I doubt I'll have time to take more than a cursory look at the Forum poll, so probably the final predictions:

Liberal 62 (all others)
Parti Quebecois 47 (Abitibi-Ouest, Beauharnois, Berthier, Bertrand, Bonaventure, Borduas, Bourget, Chambly, Champlain, Charlevoix-Cote-de-Beaupre, Chicoutimi, Cremazie, Deux-Montagnes, Dubuc, Duplessis, Gaspe, Groulx, Hochelaga-Maisonneuve, Iberville, Iles-de-la-Madeleine, Johnson, Joliette, Jonquiere, Labelle, Lac-Saint-Jean, Marie-Victorin, Masson, Matane-Matapedia, Mirabel, Pointe-aux-Trembles, Rene-Levesque, Repentigny, Richelieu, Rimouski, Roberval, Rosemont, Rousseau, Saint-Hyacinthe, Saint-Jean, Saint-Jerome, Sanguinet, Taillon, Taschereau, Terrebonne, Ungava, Vachon, Vercheres)
Coalition Avenir Quebec 12 (Arthabaska, Beauce-Nord, Blainville, Chauveau, Chutes-de-la-Chaudiere, Drummond-Bois-Francs, Granby, La Peltrie, L'Assomption, Levis, Montarville, Portneuf)
Quebec Solidaire 3 (Gouin, Mercier, Saint-Marie-Saint-Jacques)
Independent (Fatima Houda-Pepin) 1 (La Piniere)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #472 on: April 06, 2014, 08:10:56 PM »

Here are predictions -- I doubt I'll have time to take more than a cursory look at the Forum poll, so probably the final predictions:

Independent (Fatima Houda-Pepin) 1 (La Piniere)

Not happening.
Krago
« Reply #473 on: April 06, 2014, 09:49:41 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2014, 10:00:04 PM by Krago »

Final Forum poll:  Lib 44, PQ 24, CAQ 23, QS 6

Forum Poll Details
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada