Quebec: April 7, 2014
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:23:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Quebec: April 7, 2014
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 28
Author Topic: Quebec: April 7, 2014  (Read 63076 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: April 06, 2014, 09:55:08 PM »

Well, the electoral map would the good color for that.

On another day, I'll be working for elections, so, I won't be to give the perspective from rural Quebec (Abitibi) before 8PM (the hour polls close and leave).
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #476 on: April 06, 2014, 10:03:13 PM »

PQ has only been massacred once: '85. Circumstances are very different now. Though ultimately PMJ and the kangaroos were right. Marois was a caribou in those days.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #477 on: April 06, 2014, 10:38:01 PM »

On another day, I'll be working for elections, so, I won't be to give the perspective from rural Quebec (Abitibi) before 8PM (the hour polls close and leave).

We expect results from your polling division / precinct Cheesy
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #478 on: April 06, 2014, 10:50:21 PM »

I leave as soon voting is finished, so, I won't/can't be there for counting.
I don't work with a voting box, but rather as a member of the identity verification panel, for people needing special identification (scrutineers can only accepy driving licence/health card/Native status certificate/mititary card/passport) and people taking an oath and having someone vouch for them.

In short, option 2 and 3 of the federal elections (http://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=vot&dir=ids&document=index&lang=e), except than 2 documents having together name, address and birth date is also acceptable and than the voucher doesn't need to be in the same polling division and can vouch for as much family members he wants (+ 1 person outside of his family).

All those people come to us. We are 3, and we take decisions at the majority.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #479 on: April 07, 2014, 05:00:27 AM »

Do let us know if there are any rich McGill students in veils who try to vote Tongue

On a more serious note, how likely is it that the CAQ could outperform the current seat projections? Usually 20% is the tipping point for a party to start picking up seats in a FPTP system and the momentum seems to be on the CAQ's side. They're running neck and neck with the PQ, which is what happened during the ADQ break out in 2007, but back then the PLQ was only a couple points ahead rather than 20. 
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #480 on: April 07, 2014, 07:06:17 AM »

I leave as soon voting is finished, so, I won't/can't be there for counting.
I don't work with a voting box, but rather as a member of the identity verification panel, for people needing special identification (scrutineers can only accepy driving licence/health card/Native status certificate/mititary card/passport) and people taking an oath and having someone vouch for them.

In short, option 2 and 3 of the federal elections (http://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=vot&dir=ids&document=index&lang=e), except than 2 documents having together name, address and birth date is also acceptable and than the voucher doesn't need to be in the same polling division and can vouch for as much family members he wants (+ 1 person outside of his family).

All those people come to us. We are 3, and we take decisions at the majority.

What will you be doing if a maudit anglais tries to vote? Wink
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #481 on: April 07, 2014, 08:27:12 AM »

Ridings to watch, none we didn't know already.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #482 on: April 07, 2014, 10:32:59 AM »

CAQ will be second in the PV.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« Reply #483 on: April 07, 2014, 10:55:50 AM »

And you know that because ?...
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #484 on: April 07, 2014, 10:56:59 AM »

It was predicted 19 months ago too, won't happen this time either.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #485 on: April 07, 2014, 11:51:31 AM »

Speaking of predictions, I'll add my two cents:

Seats:
PLQ: 66
PQ: 42
CAQ: 15
QS: 2

PV:
PLQ: 42.5%
PQ: 26.5%
CAQ: 24%
QS: 6%
Others: 1%

I also consider to be possible, but not as likely, an outcome that sees the PLQ get over 75 seats at the expense of the CAQ with negligible changes in the PV.

Bonne chance tout le monde!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #486 on: April 07, 2014, 01:50:23 PM »

Speaking of predictions, I'll add my two cents:

Seats:
PLQ: 66
PQ: 42
CAQ: 15
QS: 2

Wow, very similar to mine. Except I have the Liberals and 65 and PQ at 43.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #487 on: April 07, 2014, 02:01:38 PM »

You know what they say about great minds . . . Wink

It's just a coincidence this time, though. Or perhaps an unconscious repetition, as I read your blog earlier but wasn't thinking about it when I sat down to decide what I thought would happen.

My thinking was that a PLQ majority was more likely than a minority, that the CAQ would do no better than they did last time but not much worse, and that QS and the PQ would turn out their vote just as efficiently as one would expect.
Krago
« Reply #488 on: April 07, 2014, 02:13:40 PM »

They're goin' down.  I'm yellin' "Timber!".

Lib - 78
CAQ - 22
PQ - 21
QS - 4
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #489 on: April 07, 2014, 02:37:00 PM »

So, Pauline Marois is just a crap premier, or the crappiest premier?

Completely blew a winnable writ campaign, very similar to 2003 when she was Landry's deputy. Lousy premier to be sure on the political and policy fronts. Just 2 months ago the PLQ was in disarray (extremely rare for them: last time that happened was the late '60s) and completely incoherent on many policy issues, cartwheeling or waffling. PQ went through many contortions in their first year, which smoothed out last fall.

Looking back at the disaster she was as LotO, I guess nobody should have expected any better from her as Premier.
DL
Canada

« Reply #490 on: April 07, 2014, 02:51:10 PM »

I think Krago may have the right idea. People are in denial as to how big a PLQ win this could actually be. If the final polls are right and the PLQ ends up with a double digit lead in the popular vote - it won't be close and in fact the Liberals could get as many as 80 seats. Look at what happened in Quebec in the 2011 federal election when the NDP took 42% and the BQ took 23%? in seats it was NDP 59 and BQ 4!! The first past the post system is very unforgiving when parties lose by a wide margin.

Looking at QC electoral history the closes parallel to this election would be 1970:

PLQ - 45% and 73 seats
PQ - 23% and 7 seats
Union national - 20% and 17 seats
Creditistes - 11% and 12 seats

Sure things have changed since 1970 but this is just an example of how low the PQ seats count could go if they were really doing as badly as the final Forum poll suggests
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #491 on: April 07, 2014, 02:57:36 PM »

You know what they say about great minds . . . Wink

It's just a coincidence this time, though. Or perhaps an unconscious repetition, as I read your blog earlier but wasn't thinking about it when I sat down to decide what I thought would happen.

My thinking was that a PLQ majority was more likely than a minority, that the CAQ would do no better than they did last time but not much worse, and that QS and the PQ would turn out their vote just as efficiently as one would expect.

We are way off in terms of popular vote, though.

Here is my final projection blog post: http://canadianelectionatlas.blogspot.ca/2014/04/quebec-2014-election-final-seat.html

change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #492 on: April 07, 2014, 02:58:49 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2014, 03:01:00 PM by You kip if you want to... »

I think Krago may have the right idea. People are in denial as to how big a PLQ win this could actually be. If the final polls are right and the PLQ ends up with a double digit lead in the popular vote - it won't be close and in fact the Liberals could get as many as 80 seats. Look at what happened in Quebec in the 2011 federal election when the NDP took 42% and the BQ took 23%? in seats it was NDP 59 and BQ 4!! The first past the post system is very unforgiving when parties lose by a wide margin.

Looking at QC electoral history the closes parallel to this election would be 1970:

PLQ - 45% and 73 seats
PQ - 23% and 7 seats
Union national - 20% and 17 seats
Creditistes - 11% and 12 seats

Sure things have changed since 1970 but this is just an example of how low the PQ seats count could go if they were really doing as badly as the final Forum poll suggests

A 44 year old election result, with a defunct former governing party, can't really tell us much.

The thing about FPTP is that it's unpredictable one way or the other. The PLQ could rack up a healthy PV margin but only be ahead on seats by 10-15 because their support's spread fairly evenly across the province and the PQ's support generally clusters in certain regions. It takes fewer votes to elect a PQ MNA.

This is a massive problem in most systems that use FPTP.

But yes, if the PLQ is over 40 and both the CAQ and the PQ are in the mid-20s, it'll be a landslide anyway.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #493 on: April 07, 2014, 03:08:54 PM »

Landslide, eh?

Consider this.

In 2008, the polling average for the last week showed the Liberals with a 12 point lead. The Liberals ended up winning by 7 points.

Fast forward to 2014, the polling average gives the Liberals a similar 13 point lead. If we see a similar turnout pattern (and why not, both elections were held right after short lived minority governments with the Liberals expected to easily win), then we could end up with a smaller Liberal win.

I've factored in this theory into my projection which "only" shows the Liberals winning by 9%.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #494 on: April 07, 2014, 03:35:23 PM »

And quite a projection it is! You've got PKP going down to an 8-point defeat. From your mouth to their ears!
the506
Canada

« Reply #495 on: April 07, 2014, 03:36:53 PM »

I have:

PLQ 69
PQ 36
CAQ 17
QS 3
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #496 on: April 07, 2014, 03:42:06 PM »

When do polls close? I might have a "chance" to see the beginning of the counting since I have to stay up late to write a paper.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #497 on: April 07, 2014, 03:44:56 PM »

When do polls close? I might have a "chance" to see the beginning of the counting since I have to stay up late to write a paper.

Little over 3 hours from now. I'll put up results pages and Radio-Canada livestream later. As usual, projection should be within an hour of polls closing.
the506
Canada

« Reply #498 on: April 07, 2014, 04:05:35 PM »

Here are the 3 Montreal English TV channels. I *think* all of them will be streaming their election night coverage.

http://www.cbc.ca/montreal/
http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/
http://globalnews.ca/montreal/
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #499 on: April 07, 2014, 04:08:01 PM »

And quite a projection it is! You've got PKP going down to an 8-point defeat. From your mouth to their ears!

I'm not sure if I'd rather have him getting humiliated but going back to running Quebecor or having the embarrassment of being in opposition.

Anyways, it's impossible to know for sure whether he will get a star candidate boost or get a nefarious candidate dip.  My speculation is it's the latter.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies