Quebec: April 7, 2014
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:16:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Quebec: April 7, 2014
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28
Author Topic: Quebec: April 7, 2014  (Read 62861 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: April 10, 2014, 03:50:14 PM »

Meh, he's OK by me. Sometimes I think we'd be better off without polls, might produce better coverage.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #626 on: April 10, 2014, 04:39:52 PM »

QS vote map very interesting. Looks like improvement in the Francophone areas and decrease in the Anglophone areas, suggesting it was possibly a protest party last election for disaffected Liberals (who returned home this election) and a protest party for disaffected PQ's this election.

Sherbrooke is especially interesting. Now, I may be mis-remembering, but that's a university town, isn't it, and students didn't like the previous Premier? Seems to me, students last election may have voted strategically for PQ, to the detriment of QS, but this election returned home.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #627 on: April 10, 2014, 07:09:03 PM »

Bedard is interim leader.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #628 on: April 10, 2014, 07:21:26 PM »

Gaudreault and Hivon are sounding out support for a leadership run. Cabinet met today, final meeting next Wednesday. Grits will take their oaths on the 23rd.
adma
« Reply #629 on: April 10, 2014, 07:25:48 PM »

QS vote map very interesting. Looks like improvement in the Francophone areas and decrease in the Anglophone areas, suggesting it was possibly a protest party last election for disaffected Liberals (who returned home this election) and a protest party for disaffected PQ's this election.

And a good deal of the CAQ decrease was likewise in the Anglo areas; where they, too, acted as a token viable/non-separatist "protest vote" safe zone in 2012...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #630 on: April 10, 2014, 07:50:15 PM »

And a good deal of the CAQ decrease was likewise in the Anglo areas; where they, too, acted as a token viable/non-separatist "protest vote" safe zone in 2012...

CAQ map coming up, but you can see some of that going on in the CAQ-PQ swing map. Funny to see swing to the PQ in some Anglo areas (although, it's the case of not being able to go much lower than they were)
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #631 on: April 10, 2014, 09:05:47 PM »

That makes a lot of sense, too. I had mis-read the CAQ vs PQ map (was looking at it on my phone on the train this morning) and had got the two parties in the reverse order, which made some sense to me, given the number of seats the CAQ lost in and around Quebec City.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #632 on: April 10, 2014, 09:38:16 PM »

Thanks. I hope PKP runs and they elect him leader.

On that point, I obviously disagree with you.

I can't support that enemy or labor and workers. He was a terrible and oppressive boss at Quebecor and is still the owner of Sun News, home of Quebec-bashing.

I can't neither support Bernard Drainville, the father of the Charte.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #633 on: April 10, 2014, 09:58:44 PM »

I can't support that enemy or labor and workers. He was a terrible and oppressive boss at Quebecor and is still the owner of Sun News, home of Quebec-bashing.

Given RB's opinion of PQ, I suspect he wants him to be elected leader due to the damage it would cause the party. I could be misinterpretting, though.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #634 on: April 10, 2014, 10:17:47 PM »

Smid's right. From the PQ's POV Lisee, Cloutier or Hivon would seem better choices IMO. That said, at least there would be some colour and personality among our party leaders.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #635 on: April 10, 2014, 10:18:02 PM »

Given RB's opinion of PQ, I suspect he wants him to be elected leader due to the damage it would cause the party. I could be misinterpretting, though.

Well, I'm pretty sure than Péladeau could be an asset to get back some CAQ voters (at the price of a leakage to QS). I suppose than RB likes him because he is the one the most likely to support right-wing economics.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #636 on: April 11, 2014, 07:00:56 AM »

That makes a lot of sense, too. I had mis-read the CAQ vs PQ map (was looking at it on my phone on the train this morning) and had got the two parties in the reverse order, which made some sense to me, given the number of seats the CAQ lost in and around Quebec City.

Remember Smid, I use "Atlas colours" Wink Much like Dave Leip's colour reversal, I have reversed the PQ and CAQ colours (Wikipedia agrees with me though). I'd prefer to keep all conservative parties blue and all separatist parties in teal.
Krago
« Reply #637 on: April 11, 2014, 07:38:34 AM »

Remember Smid, I use "Atlas colours" Wink Much like Dave Leip's colour reversal, I have reversed the PQ and CAQ colours (Wikipedia agrees with me though). I'd prefer to keep all conservative parties blue and all separatist parties in teal.

All the cool kids use violet instead of teal.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #638 on: April 11, 2014, 10:13:32 AM »

All the cool kids use violet instead of teal.

Using violet won't get you the girls.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #639 on: April 11, 2014, 11:43:19 AM »

CAQ vote change:

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #640 on: April 11, 2014, 12:43:53 PM »

EPG
« Reply #641 on: April 11, 2014, 02:36:30 PM »

What's happening in the Québec City area? A Péquiste in the city centre, and Liberals around it. I know Lévis was the Canadian Alliance's strongest riding at federal level, so the CAQ vote is not surprising on the south shore.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #642 on: April 11, 2014, 02:56:39 PM »

PQ change:

What's happening in the Québec City area? A Péquiste in the city centre, and Liberals around it. I know Lévis was the Canadian Alliance's strongest riding at federal level, so the CAQ vote is not surprising on the south shore.

The central riding is Taschereau, which votes like a typical city centre, for a left of centre party (the PQ). QS also had a strong vote there.

The area south of Quebec City, the Chaudiere-Appalaches region is the most conservative region in the province. It's what the Tories hold most of their seats federally. The Canadian Alliance hasn't existed in a decade Tongue
EPG
« Reply #643 on: April 11, 2014, 04:58:39 PM »

Hahaha, I had forgotten with all the hand-wringing about this campaign that the PQ is a left-of-centre party.

Don't ask me how I remembered the Lévis factoid, possibly because the riding at the time had a long, poetic, memorable name. I reckoned that any Québec riding with more than token CA support must have been QUITE conservative.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #644 on: April 11, 2014, 05:22:43 PM »

Probably due to the candidate. At the 2003 by-election, they finished 6th, behind the green and almost tied with Marijuana Party.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #645 on: April 11, 2014, 05:27:22 PM »

Levis(et-le-Chutes-de-la-Chadiere) was the fourth most CA-friendly riding in Quebec in 2000:

Charlesbourg – Jacques-Cartier: 15.41
Portneuf: 15.28
Québec East: 15.21
Lévis-et-Chutes-de-la-Chaudière: 14.51

I don't think it was just the candidate, I think the CA had some appeal to suburban Quebec City residents.
adma
« Reply #646 on: April 11, 2014, 09:24:34 PM »

The central riding is Taschereau, which votes like a typical city centre, for a left of centre party (the PQ). QS also had a strong vote there.

Sorta like what Ottawa Centre is relative to the (Ontario) ridings surrounding it.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #647 on: April 11, 2014, 10:03:27 PM »

I completely agree with your colour usage. Not sure why I confused them initially - possibly due to the vote in Southern Montreal (specifically, the area adma refers, above), since those are areas where PQ is particularly weak.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #648 on: April 11, 2014, 10:36:01 PM »
« Edited: April 11, 2014, 10:37:33 PM by RogueBeaver »

This talk of Marois never establishing a personal rapport with the electorate is silly. Bourassa and Charest didn't have it and Couillard definitely won't. At any rate it has nothing to do with why she lost. Though given the PLQ's leadership preferences and culture, I highly doubt they'll produce such a leader for the foreseeable future. If such a person does arrive, they'll come from the bleu side, as usual.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #649 on: April 11, 2014, 11:58:04 PM »

Sorta like what Ottawa Centre is relative to the (Ontario) ridings surrounding it.

Yes, exactly- though less evident provincially.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies