IDS2: The Safe Roads Act [Statute]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:25:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  IDS2: The Safe Roads Act [Statute]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: IDS2: The Safe Roads Act [Statute]  (Read 893 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 18, 2014, 03:08:31 PM »
« edited: March 03, 2014, 10:52:12 PM by Speaker Scott »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Sponsor: SJoyce
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 03:10:06 PM »

This is the law this bill would repeal:

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 03:11:03 PM »

How is repealing this law suppose to make our roads safer, exactly...?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 03:24:05 PM »
« Edited: February 18, 2014, 03:28:52 PM by Speaker SJoyce »

No one denies that texting while driving is unsafe, and I'm all for enhanced driver education - but the empirical evidence seems to say that such bans don't actually do anything, and may even increase accidents. As such, this is just clogging up our books.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 03:51:26 PM »

I think that before we go about removing this from our books entirely, we should ask ourselves: are these laws being enforced in the first place?  Indeed, the link you provided, SJoyce, says that there is a short-term reduction in accidents shortly after these laws are passed which suggests that drivers react to the law itself getting passed only to return to their texting habits when the law is forgotten.  I think that if such laws were enforced, there would be much less of a chance of someone breaking them, so is it so much the law itself we should worry about rather than how it's applied on the roads?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 04:12:16 PM »

I think that before we go about removing this from our books entirely, we should ask ourselves: are these laws being enforced in the first place?  Indeed, the link you provided, SJoyce, says that there is a short-term reduction in accidents shortly after these laws are passed which suggests that drivers react to the law itself getting passed only to return to their texting habits when the law is forgotten.  I think that if such laws were enforced, there would be much less of a chance of someone breaking them, so is it so much the law itself we should worry about rather than how it's applied on the roads?

I don't see how we can effectively enforce such a law unless you ban all use of a cell phone while driving.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 04:21:30 PM »

I don't see how we can effectively enforce such a law unless you ban all use of a cell phone while driving.

Isn't that how we do it already?  I mean, I think there are times when using a cell phone while driving is necessary for emergency situations, but how often is this the case?  At the very least, we should penalize the inappropriate use of a cell phone if it leads to an accident.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 05:10:12 PM »

Isn't that how we do it already?  I mean, I think there are times when using a cell phone while driving is necessary for emergency situations, but how often is this the case?  At the very least, we should penalize the inappropriate use of a cell phone if it leads to an accident.

Our current law appears to only criminalize its use for texting, not for other purposes - like calls or GPS.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 08:43:42 PM »

SJoyce, what do you think of this amendment?

Quote from: Restricted
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 09:41:13 PM »

I rather like the amendment. In principle, I don't know that we should prohibit people using cell phones if they can manage to do so without causing harm to others.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 07:45:34 PM »

Mr. Speaker?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 11:15:45 PM »

Members, we will now vote on the following amendment.  Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 11:18:15 PM »

Aye.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 10:42:13 PM »

Aye
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 07:32:24 AM »

Nay.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2014, 12:16:13 PM »

AYE.

The amendment has passed.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 11:41:49 PM »

One thought that occurred to me, to stimulate further discussion on this bill, is what if someone gets into an accident using a cell phone and is cleared of any criminal liability, but winds up with a judgment against them in civil court. Is that something we would want to also cover with this law?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 12:35:22 AM »

One thought that occurred to me, to stimulate further discussion on this bill, is what if someone gets into an accident using a cell phone and is cleared of any criminal liability, but winds up with a judgment against them in civil court. Is that something we would want to also cover with this law?

Can you give us an example of how that could happen?  I'm not entirely sure how such a scenario would play out.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 12:50:12 AM »

Can you give us an example of how that could happen?  I'm not entirely sure how such a scenario would play out.

Criminal convictions are held to a higher burden of proof than civil judgments, since the matter at stake is higher; someone could spend months or years in prison, after all.

Looking at the amendment that the Legislature just added to this bill, I notice the word "misuse", which brings up a gray area. Suppose a passenger in a vehicle has a stroke and the driver attempts to phone 911 while having no realistic possibility of stopping (say the vehicle is in the fast lane on the freeway), causing an accident as a result. I am not a legal expert, but I would guess that that is a potential gray area there.

Considering what I said earlier about different standards of proof, it's possible that the driver would not be convicted, but still be taken to civil court and lose. As such, the question that I am supposing is do we want to consider civil penalties as well?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 01:01:46 AM »

Criminal convictions are held to a higher burden of proof than civil judgments, since the matter at stake is higher; someone could spend months or years in prison, after all.

Looking at the amendment that the Legislature just added to this bill, I notice the word "misuse", which brings up a gray area. Suppose a passenger in a vehicle has a stroke and the driver attempts to phone 911 while having no realistic possibility of stopping (say the vehicle is in the fast lane on the freeway), causing an accident as a result. I am not a legal expert, but I would guess that that is a potential gray area there.

Considering what I said earlier about different standards of proof, it's possible that the driver would not be convicted, but still be taken to civil court and lose. As such, the question that I am supposing is do we want to consider civil penalties as well?

I personally don't think any court, civilian or criminal, would interpret 'misuse' to include calling 9-1-1 during an emergency, but defining the term to exclude that situation could be of use.  Would you prefer we specify what 'misuse' is, or should we amend the bill to specifically protect the accused against civilian penalties?  I personally think the first option would be sufficient, but I'm not sure how to word an amendment that will do the latter.

(Pardon me for that.  I'm not a legal expert, either. Tongue)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2014, 01:14:38 AM »

I personally don't think any court, civilian or criminal, would interpret 'misuse' to include calling 9-1-1 during an emergency, but defining the term to exclude that situation could be of use.  Would you prefer we specify what 'misuse' is, or should we amend the bill to specifically protect the accused against civilian penalties?  I personally think the first option would be sufficient, but I'm not sure how to word an amendment that will do the latter.

(Pardon me for that.  I'm not a legal expert, either. Tongue)

Ultimately, the limits of something like "misuse" has to be worked out by the courts, and making it more convoluted usually leads to more litigation rather than less. I think a Good Samaritan clause would be sufficient.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2014, 06:58:51 PM »

I will assume sponsorship.

How about this amendment?

Is this definition sufficient?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2014, 10:41:05 PM »

I think that should work.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2014, 12:33:50 AM »
« Edited: March 02, 2014, 10:06:18 AM by Speaker Scott »

This shall be the final text of the bill barring further amendments:

Would anyone like to add anything, or are we ready to vote?
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2014, 11:06:26 AM »

I second the motion.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies