Could Sarah Palin be the 2016 nominee?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:45:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Could Sarah Palin be the 2016 nominee?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Could Sarah Palin be the 2016 nominee?  (Read 2590 times)
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 18, 2014, 05:48:03 PM »

If she decides to run, could she make a comeback?  She'd have no problem fundraising and she's energize the Tea Party base, and she's also be the anti-Hillary.  I just can't see her standing aside as Hillary makes history.  I think there's going to be a woman on the Republican side that's going to say, "We need a woman to go head to head with Hillary."
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 05:48:33 PM »

ROFLMAO
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 05:49:35 PM »

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LET IT BE, A DEMOCRATS WET DREAM !!!
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 06:06:05 PM »

I think that I have a better chance of winning the GOP nomination than she does.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 06:07:02 PM »

I think that I have a better chance of winning the GOP nomination than she does.

You betcha.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 06:07:38 PM »

Probably not.

She currently has a high approval rating among Republicans partially because she hasn't had to do anything that would upset conservatives.

She has serious discipline issues. Dan Balz's Collision 2012 noted how she was considering a run in 2012, but hadn't bothered to do basic research into state ballot requirements.

There will likely be several opponents on the right, and plenty of opportunities to highlight her numerous character flaws. Look at what happened to Bachmann when her main opposition was less impressive than we're likely to see in 2012.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 06:09:18 PM »

She's old news.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 03:33:02 PM »

She announced that she's creating a new channel, "the Sarah Palin channel". She may probably be a celebrity, but if she does run for president in 2016 as a GOP or third party, she could cause problems for the GOP establishment base, but she may be viewed as a joke.
daveosupremo
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.32, S: -2.09

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 03:51:58 PM »

I think it's very unlikely that she runs, but if she does, she's probably got the highest floor of any of the potential nominees. Her running keeps Cruz out, damages Paul, and draws from the other conservatives considering a run. She probably wouldn't get the nomination, but she would certainly be a force to be reckoned with.
Her running would also probably force Martinez into the race, with full backing of the establishment wing if the party.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 05:11:30 PM »

I don't think she runs and doubt she has much of a chance at the nomination if she does.  However, if she does run and gets the nomination she will get ABSOLUTELY DESTROYED in a General.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 05:47:48 PM »

I would vote for you over Sarah Palin.
Maistre
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 06:06:53 PM »

She's a troll, she has no interest in running for anything.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 07:27:38 PM »

Purple heart
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 07:44:30 PM »

Purple heart

Atlas pride!
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 11:07:01 PM »

If the nomination process got out of the hands of the elites, it's possible.  Palin is a hero (actually, a heroine) to a whole lot of Republicans who represent the most vibrant and vital part of today's GOP.  On her own, she doesn't make gaffes.  She lies, but she's a slick liar, and a lot of folks want to believe what she says.

In this polarized electorate, she'd lose, but not terribly.  I think she would do no worse than Romney in 2012.  I can't see a state that Romney carried that she'd lose.  If events played into her hands, she could tip FL, OH, VA, and NH. 

We are at a point where it doesn't matter a whole lot who the candidates of each party are.  Hardened partisanship is at an all time high and increasing.  Palin has a big following, and she has a hustle.  She's experienced, and she'll never allow untrusted "handlers" to make her look foolish.  She's a snake, but more than one snake has occupied the Oval Office.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 12:39:43 PM »

Palin would only run if she could figure out how she could make $ off the run. Perhaps all her events would be pay-per-view.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 08:16:07 PM »

Us pro-lifers and conservative folks have to pay for our own media, because liberals have the rest.

Folks often mention Fox News being #1 in the ratings, and that is true, but keep in mind the number is only a plurality.  NBC, ABC, CBS, all other cable news + comedy circuit + Hollywood = far-left.

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 08:34:08 PM »

Us pro-lifers and conservative folks have to pay for our own media, because liberals have the rest.

Folks often mention Fox News being #1 in the ratings, and that is true, but keep in mind the number is only a plurality.  NBC, ABC, CBS, all other cable news + comedy circuit + Hollywood = far-left.

... Ok?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 08:44:40 PM »

If the nomination process got out of the hands of the elites, it's possible.  Palin is a hero (actually, a heroine) to a whole lot of Republicans who represent the most vibrant and vital part of today's GOP.  On her own, she doesn't make gaffes.  She lies, but she's a slick liar, and a lot of folks want to believe what she says.

In this polarized electorate, she'd lose, but not terribly.  I think she would do no worse than Romney in 2012.  I can't see a state that Romney carried that she'd lose.  If events played into her hands, she could tip FL, OH, VA, and NH. 

We are at a point where it doesn't matter a whole lot who the candidates of each party are.  Hardened partisanship is at an all time high and increasing.  Palin has a big following, and she has a hustle.  She's experienced, and she'll never allow untrusted "handlers" to make her look foolish.  She's a snake, but more than one snake has occupied the Oval Office.

No because she already looks foolish.

Never makes a gaffe? How about too dumb to even name her favorite founding father?
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 09:13:48 PM »

I'd bet almost anything that Clinton would win NC and AR over Palin.  You could VERY easily throw GA, AZ, IN, WV and maybe even several others once Palin opened her mouth.  Are people completely forgetting how Hillary ran in the '08 primaries??  She was folksy and then some.  She is too smart to allow Palin to paint her as an elitist East Coast liberal; she'd come off as the smarter of two candidates running to help the working and middle classes.  She'd kill her.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 09:36:18 PM »

No because she already looks foolish.

Never makes a gaffe? How about too dumb to even name her favorite founding father?

To make a "gaffe", you usually have to be kind of non-controversial BEFORE you put your foot in your mouth.  Once you do, most of what you say that's on the edge is expected of you.  People expect edgy, inflammatory statements from Palin, so she doesn't lose ground by making them.  When she's called a liar, she's skilled in "I know you are, but what am I?" retorts.  She's pretty Teflon, if the truth be known.

I don't think it's possible for any candidate of either party to get less than 46% of the vote, which was McCain's 2008 total, barring a 3rd party candidate that shook it all up.  We are that polarized and hardened.  Elections are about a tiny, tiny group of middle-of-the-road voters in select states.  It would be tough for Palin to be elected President, but she's hardly "unelectable".  Not in the environment we have today.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 10:00:29 PM »

Yeah, that liberal media that beat the drums of war with Iraq and didn't give the time of day to the largest protest in world history against it. Yeah, so very liberal.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 10:04:13 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2014, 10:09:24 PM by Stranger in a strange land »

Palin (R) vs Anyone (D)

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2014, 10:38:37 PM »

CLINTON (D) 53%  396 EV
PALIN     (R) 45%  142 EV

SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 07:45:51 PM »

The idea that Palin would defeat Hillary in Alaska of all places is absurd.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies