Is Jeb Bush worth the hype?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:59:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is Jeb Bush worth the hype?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Is Jeb Bush worth the hype?  (Read 1647 times)
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2014, 07:12:15 PM »

The very fact this dedicated thread isn't about Jeb Bush proves that he is overhyped.
Someone (other than me) should make a poll on this.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2014, 07:28:59 PM »

The very fact this dedicated thread isn't about Jeb Bush proves that he is overhyped.

If -God forbid- Gov. Scott Walker either fails to win re-election or wins a second term by the skin of his teeth (thus proving that he is too controversial to appeal to a broader constituency), who will you back then? 
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2014, 07:32:12 PM »

If -God forbid- Gov. Scott Walker either fails to win re-election or wins a second term by the skin of his teeth (thus proving that he is too controversial to appeal to a broader constituency), who will you back then? 
Either Hillary or the Libertarian Party. Good thing Walker is six points up in the polls.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2014, 07:58:06 PM »

There are seven Republicans who typically poll between 10-20% right now: Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio, Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, Chris Christie, Paul Ryan and Mike Huckabee. Bush is one of them.

If he runs for President in a field that will likely include several, but not all, of the others mentioned, he would be a top-tier primary contender.

And he's currently well-positioned to become the establishment candidate. Christie is under investigation. Huckabee is a theocrat. Cruz doesn't play well with others. Paul has views the party faithful disagree with. If Rubio and Ryan decide to focus on legislating rather than running for President, that leaves Jeb in a very nice place.

There will be others who the establishment can back (Scott Walker, John Kasich) but with his fundraising abilities and name recognition, Jeb can make it harder for them to break into the top tier.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2014, 08:45:03 PM »

If I can't get Santorum, Cruz, Huckabee, or Paul as the nominee... I'd settle for Jeb Bush. I would absolutely love those chances.

Speaking as a Democrat, of course.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2014, 09:01:53 PM »
« Edited: February 19, 2014, 09:08:27 PM by Frodo »

If I can't get Santorum, Cruz, Huckabee, or Paul as the nominee... I'd settle for Jeb Bush. I would absolutely love those chances.

There's a reason I don't relish seeing Jeb Bush as the GOP nominee, especially when the George W. Bush cudgel we intend to use against him may not prove as trusty as we had hoped.

But I have faith the GOP will pick someone else far less electable against Hillary...      

Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2014, 09:07:15 PM »

That's because he's been out of the limelight. It won't take long for people to remember the Bush days of constant scandal, cronyism, incompetence, etc.

And it's not just Bush, it's Jeb too. He absolutely sucks as a politician. As his mini-debut failure proved. He's a dinosaur. Might as well nominate his father.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2014, 09:08:01 PM »

I just don't think the Bush name will be as relevant in a general election as people imagine.  During the "invisible primary" stage, like right now, when Bush isn't really campaigning, then sure, most people know little about him other than his last name, and it probably drags down his GE polling numbers.

If he were to actually win the nomination, though, he'd be in the news every day, and he'd be standing on his own, not in his brother's or father's shadow.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2014, 09:08:47 PM »

No, of course not.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2014, 09:08:52 PM »

And it's not just Bush, it's Jeb too. He absolutely sucks as a politician. As his mini-debut failure proved. He's a dinosaur. Might as well nominate his father.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2014, 08:04:35 AM »

Watching the GOP establishment and base line up behind George W.'s younger brother--and attempt to convince undecided voters why voting for him is a good idea--would be absolutely hilarious.

A Jeb Bush nomination would be an absolute Godsend to the Democratic Party.
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2014, 10:25:23 AM »

No. In fact, if the GOP appointed Bush the frontrunner probably gives the crazies like Paul or Cruz the best chance of winning the nomination due to the backlash from grassroots. If Christie's done, the GOP should go with one of the Wisconsinites or pray that Rubio's charisma outshines his failure in legislative achievement so far.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2014, 01:23:27 PM »

I think the main problem that Bush has is that he'e been out of office for so long and he doesn't stand for anything-true this helps him become the establishment candidate but at least people like Cruz and Paul have a platform to run on.

Jeb Bush's platform just seems to be that he was governor 10 years, did moderately well and happens to be related to one of the worst presidents in the last 100 years
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2014, 01:53:56 PM »

There's a reason I don't relish seeing Jeb Bush as the GOP nominee, especially when the George W. Bush cudgel we intend to use against him may not prove as trusty as we had hoped.

But I have faith the GOP will pick someone else far less electable against Hillary...       

Does that really mean very much though? It's much easier to see GWB "favorably" now that he hasn't destroyed the country for 5 years. I'm sure if you asked "did you approve or disapprove of Bush's tenure as president?" his numbers would still be in the basement.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2014, 03:54:35 PM »

There isn't much hype around Bush. People just see him as viable but no one would call him a front-runner. I think he can shed his Brother's baggage once he starts campaigning.

The simple fact is right now there is no front-runner for the GOP, just a bunch of possibilities, certainly no 'probabilities'
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2014, 01:24:20 AM »

Jeb Bush is getting another look by the GOP Establishment because he has the political connections for a national race and the first choice, Chris Christie, is now damaged goods.  The other first choice, Marco Rubio, seems to have immigrated himself into a corner.  
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2014, 02:37:18 AM »

No - Jeb Bush is not worth anything, he's worth even less than a home in Florida just after he left the state in shambles.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2014, 12:56:21 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2014, 01:00:30 PM by Orser67 »

Before GWB's favorability ratings ticked up, I was a lot more positive about facing Jeb Bush in the election. I think it's almost certain George W. Bush's ratings would take a hit if Jeb ran, but it's not clear exactly how much.

Personally, if I was a Republican who wanted to win, I'd have Bush rated higher than most other potential nominees. On the other hand, I'm a biased Democrat, and I'm not very impressed by any of the other candidates. Bush has won two elections in a major swing state and, as far as I know, doesn't have any major ethical issues hanging over him. Of other potential candidates, only Kasich can potentially say that.

One thing Bush does seem to have going for him is popularity in Florida. Even just a couple extra points in Florida in the general election could be huge (as we all know).

http://polltracker.talkingpointsmemo.com/contests/jeb-bush-favorability-fl
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2014, 01:09:07 PM »

FL is certainly a must win for the GOP. Romney spent  more in FL than any other state, taking up about 1/5 of his total TV spend. If the GOP had a candidate that could make FL less competitive for the Dems, that would free up a lot of money for them to spend elsewhere, maybe finally crack PA with a serious effort.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2014, 05:22:55 PM »

I'll admit that he was the first republican to win twice in Florida (for governor that is) but does that really have an impact nowadays? I mean he was last elected what 12 years ago.

I just doubt whether he could carry Florida in the GE just because he happened to be governor there.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2014, 07:19:20 PM »

He will have to face Rick Perry in a GOP primary and his conversion on immigration. Which he didn't do so well on Meet the Press. It is possible he may be defeated in primary. If not, Hilary is leading in every poll against him.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2014, 08:12:15 PM »

Does that really mean very much though? It's much easier to see GWB "favorably" now that he hasn't destroyed the country for 5 years. I'm sure if you asked "did you approve or disapprove of Bush's tenure as president?" his numbers would still be in the basement.

Don't underestimate the historical amnesia of the American people.  Tongue

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2014, 09:09:39 PM »

Not really. He's quite rusty, out of office for nearly a decade and wouldn't have run a campaign in 13 years.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2014, 09:10:08 PM »

Don't underestimate the historical amnesia of the American people.  Tongue

[/quote]

Tea Party favorite Rick Perry would enjoy going after Jeb on immigration. Just like he went after Romney on Hiring illegal immigrant which was an issue against Obama.

Jeb or the Bushes has enjoyed no negative press lately either.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2014, 09:12:26 PM »

If he runs and is nominated; it means two times in a row that Republicans have chosen a former Governor, that has not been in office for at least 6 years.

At least Jeb actually completed two terms. Tongue
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies