Sales tax rates by state
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:38:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Sales tax rates by state
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sales tax rates by state  (Read 7407 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 20, 2014, 06:12:23 PM »

Article.

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 08:14:53 PM »

OR, MT, NH, and DE confirmed for Freedom States.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 08:45:08 PM »

OR, MT, NH, and DE confirmed for Freedom States.
The sales tax data isn't included for Montana
fartboy
Rookie
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 04:14:46 AM »

This is an interesting map. One thing that could help companies save on value added costs would be a value added tax. It's not popular in either party but we may need that eventually in order to help with our debt.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 07:29:38 PM »

Sales taxes are one of the worst taxes in existence for economies.  Its amazing how many businessmen support it.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 04:11:57 PM »

Milwaukee County is at 5.6% grumble grumble.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 04:22:03 PM »

Whatever the sales tax rate is, it'd be nice if posted prices included them here in the States. I just add 10% mentally to everything, but why not just post what you actually pay?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 04:32:36 PM »

Whatever the sales tax rate is, it'd be nice if posted prices included them here in the States. I just add 10% mentally to everything, but why not just post what you actually pay?

Two reasons.  First off, not including them lets a business post a consistent price without making less money in jurisdictions with a higher sales tax. Secondly, sales taxes (at least here in South Carolina) don't apply equally to all sales.  Some business-to-business sales aren't subject to sales taxes.  Also we have here a lower sales tax rate for people 85 and older. (Instead of the base 7% rate, they pay 6%.)
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 12:51:02 PM »

Sales taxes are one of the worst taxes in existence for economies.  Its amazing how many businessmen support it.
Sale taxes might be not the very best for the economy, but from somewhere the state needs to take the money. And I don't think you Americans need to be grumpy about to high sale taxes - here in Austria it's 20% for most, and 10% for some articles, like milk or bread. And our economy still stands pretty well. (Could it even be that we have a lower unemployment rate than the U.S.?)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 01:37:10 AM »

As if Texas' taxes (say that really fast three times) weren't bad enough, the GOP candidate for comptroller is floating the idea of getting rid of state property taxes altogether and making up the difference by raising the sales tax. In order to be revenue-neutral, the state sales tax would have to go up to at least 20%. So if you add county and local sales taxes onto that, some people could be paying a 22% or more sales tax.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 02:55:55 PM »

Oklahoma's sales tax is literally disgraceful.
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 08:12:13 PM »

Said no economist ever
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 08:24:03 AM »

Said no economist ever

Indeed. It's almost always criticized from a moral perspective. Sales taxes are incredibly efficient. It's a lot easier to move your cash overseas than your grocery shopping.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 11:09:43 AM »

No moral argument from me. In fact, it's almost always used to moralize with governments putting exemptions into food and newspapers and whatever it wants to promote and jacking it up on alcohol and tobacco.

Sales tax, especially a high one in the fantasy VAT-only world a lot of conservative think tanks want deters consumption in an American economy that is almost exclusively a retail only business.  It would also make it difficult for people to budget. The responsible adult would have no clue what his tax bill would be month to month.

I'd support a flat income tax before a national sales tax and I'm far from sold on that idea.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 12:51:42 PM »

Interesting how 4 of the top 5 are states where whites have strongly swung Republican.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2014, 08:37:59 PM »

Sales tax>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>income tax>property tax
You have that mixed up:

Income tax>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>sales/property taxes.

But I'd just suggest taxing income from capital at the same rate as income from wage labor.  Then make up some of the difference by getting rid of sales taxes except on luxury items.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 07:01:52 AM »

If an objective of tax policy is to tax based on the ability to pay, then sales (consumption) taxes should be preferred to income taxes. Purchases are the best indicator of the ability to pay; consider a household with children in college that add an extra job and thus pay a higher income tax rate, yet actually have lower disposable income since that education cost is largely undeductible. By adjusting rates on different categories of goods and services to discount the tax on essential purchases one can remove the primary source of regressivity in the sales tax.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 08:19:47 AM »

Sales taxes are one of the worst taxes in existence for economies.  Its amazing how many businessmen support it.

Said no economist ever

Ahh, I see Christy Clark was able to convince at least one British Columbian.
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 10:18:13 AM »

Sales taxes are one of the worst taxes in existence for economies.  Its amazing how many businessmen support it.

Said no economist ever

Yes, scrapping the HST was among the dumbest things this province has collectively decided to do...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 10:55:40 AM »

Said no economist ever

Yes, scrapping the HST was among the dumbest things this province has collectively decided to do...

Really? I thought the province voted in 3 NDP governments! Wink
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2014, 02:01:44 PM »

Said no economist ever

Really? I thought the province voted in 3 NDP governments! Wink

#1 ol' WACky had been ruling this province for far too long, had been cooking the books for decades. The NDP went too far too fast, massively increasing the scale of the government and truly polarizing the province against them,  but a lot of what they got screwed for was merely the introduction of generally accepted accounting principles. I'd a voted for David Anderson and the Liberals, but the Socreds did need to lose

#2 Mike Harcourt's a good guy.  I'd have voted for Gordon Wilson, but as in 1972, the SoCreds needed to go and Vander-Zalmism has never been good for this province (see HST, 'Chemtrails'). It's shame that he preemptively stepped down and was replaced with the Clark-Dix wing of the NDP which nobody likes

#3 The Dippers actually lost the popular vote on that one
Joshgreen
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2014, 08:54:34 PM »

I'm moving to Missouri and all I know is it's TOO DAMN HIGH.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2014, 10:07:52 AM »

On a non-partisan note, do people prefer VAT or sales tax? I'm used to VAT, but I'm curious why no US state seems to have adopted it in preference to sales taxes.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2014, 06:56:36 PM »

The US Constitution serves to discourage the imposition of state-level VATs.

Suppose the state of North Virginia imposed a 10% VAT on widgets.  A widget made in North Virginia, sold to a retailer in North Virginia, and then sold a final time to a North Virginia customer would be subject to the VAT at each step and thus it would be equivalent to a 10% sales tax on widgets.  However, a widget made in South Virgina and then sold in South Virginia to a North Virginia retailer who brings it across the border would not be subject to a VAT on that step, and the Constitutional ban on State import tariffs would keep North Virginia from raising an equivalent tax when it is brought into the North Virginia from South Virginia.  So North Virginia thus would be giving manufacturers of widgets made elsewhere a competitive advantage.  By contrast a sales tax is imposed on all widgets sold in the State and thus doesn't place State manufacturers at a competitive disadvantage.
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2014, 05:55:46 PM »

On a non-partisan note, do people prefer VAT or sales tax? I'm used to VAT, but I'm curious why no US state seems to have adopted it in preference to sales taxes.

VAT by a mile. 

From what I understand, California considered introducing a VAT a few years ago
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies