Election Tracker - NE Special
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:42:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Election Tracker - NE Special
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
Author Topic: Election Tracker - NE Special  (Read 17800 times)
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 21, 2014, 03:06:02 AM »
« edited: March 14, 2014, 09:10:36 AM by butafly »

Duke/Matt - 9 (SWE, Lumine, Tmth, TheCranberry, Frodo, Scott, Goldwater, Franzl, butafly)
TNF/Gass - 3 (TNF, AFJ, bore)
Spiral/Dallasfan - 6 (Spiral, Winfield, Reaganfan, Cathcon, spamage, Kreitzer)

Bore - 3 (AFJ, butafly, bore)
Poirot - 3 (SWE, Winfield, Goldwater)

Lumine - 3 (Lumine, Tmth, spamage)
TNF - 1 (TNF)

DCAF - 5 (Spiral, Reaganfan, Frodo, Cathcon, Kreitzer)
*Franzl - 1 (Franzl)

Tyrion - 1 (TheCranberry)

NCY - 1 (Scott)

will have nice formatting and other ongoing elections when I get back this evening
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 08:45:55 AM »

Is Peeperkorn's ballot in the Northeast election invalid since he had posted before the booth opened, but then deleted the post from the voting booth thread and voted after it had opened over 20 minutes after casting the previous (clearly invalid) vote?
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 08:55:48 AM »

Is Peeperkorn's ballot in the Northeast election invalid since he had posted before the booth opened, but then deleted the post from the voting booth thread and voted after it had opened over 20 minutes after casting the previous (clearly invalid) vote?

If he votes again in the correct time period, would that validate his vote?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 08:56:24 AM »

That's what I'm asking.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 10:29:36 AM »

That's what I'm asking.

Anything before the voting period starts is not a vote so it can be deleted at any point. The only invalid ballots are yours and butafly's.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 10:32:56 AM »

That's what I'm asking.

Anything before the voting period starts is not a vote so it can be deleted at any point. The only invalid ballots are yours and butafly's.

Why are mine and butafly's invalid?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 10:34:05 AM »

That's what I'm asking.

The posts have been edited.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 10:34:41 AM »

That's what I'm asking.

But it was within the 20 minute time limit.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 10:35:38 AM »

That's what I'm asking.

There is no 20 minute time limit (nor should there be). Voters have three full days to make sure their ballot is ready for submission, editing ballots is unnecessary.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 10:45:04 AM »

That's what I'm asking.

There is no 20 minute time limit (nor should there be). Voters have three full days to make sure their ballot is ready for submission, editing ballots is unnecessary.

DO NOT EDIT OR DELETE THE POST CONTAINING YOUR BALLOT IN ANY WAY AFTER 20 MINUTES OF ITS BEING POSTED OR YOUR VOTE WILL BE INVALIDATED

I'd think federal elections law would trump regional election law.  Unless we have different standards for what is considered a valid vote than in federal elections which just seems counter-productive and probably doesn't do anything but confuse voters.  Technically I don't even know if what I did would qualify as editing my ballot since none of the preferences changed and I only removed the "[/quote]" from the bottom since I copy and pasted the format from the OP (probably does though, I suppose).  In any event, not allowing voters a brief period of time in which to edit their vote makes no sense. 
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 10:49:50 AM »

Its easy to say it "makes no sense" when your ballot is unfortunately invalidated but not double checking what you post before you click submit also "makes no sense". Not reading the OP in the voting booth "makes no sense". Having a leftover quotation in your post is not even a good reason to edit, that's just being OCD. I forgot to vote on the amendment but I wasn't going to break the rules to try and do so.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 10:55:28 AM »

Its easy to say it "makes no sense" when your ballot is unfortunately invalidated but not double checking what you post before you click submit also "makes no sense". Not reading the OP in the voting booth "makes no sense". Having a leftover quotation in your post is not even a good reason to edit, that's just being OCD. I forgot to vote on the amendment but I wasn't going to break the rules to try and do so.

It is perfectly reasonable to assume that there is a window in which one can edit their vote given that in both Federal elections and every other region such a window exists.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 10:59:08 AM »

It is perfectly reasonable to assume that there is a window in which one can edit their vote given that in both Federal elections and every other region such a window exists.

Except when it says it right there in the first post of the thread, right? I'm sorry you were unaware of the rules but that doesn't seem to be a good enough reason to change the rules. I did make the text stand out more than Governor sirnick did when I was Governor but that's hardly an excuse to mm ot even read the instructions. Didnt they ever give you that fake test in grade school which if you read the instructions you didn't end up doing anything? Most kids failed that one lol.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 12:17:00 PM »

Except when it says it right there in the first post of the thread, right? I'm sorry you were unaware of the rules but that doesn't seem to be a good enough reason to change the rules. I did make the text stand out more than Governor sirnick did when I was Governor but that's hardly an excuse to mm ot even read the instructions. Didnt they ever give you that fake test in grade school which if you read the instructions you didn't end up doing anything? Most kids failed that one lol.

Roll Eyes  If my vote is invalidated fine, but that doesn't make it any less of an awful rule.  Every other region and the federal government allow a window in which to edit one's vote.  It is perfectly reasonable to assume the Northeast also has such a window.  The absence of such a window in our region does nothing except confuse voters.  There is literally no benefit to not providing a 20 minute window to edit votes.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 12:54:15 PM »

Roll Eyes  If my vote is invalidated fine, but that doesn't make it any less of an awful rule.  Every other region and the federal government allow a window in which to edit one's vote.  It is perfectly reasonable to assume the Northeast also has such a window.  The absence of such a window in our region does nothing except confuse voters.  There is literally no benefit to not providing a 20 minute window to edit votes.

Your mistake, obviously, was moving to the Northeast.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 01:05:39 PM »

The only vote I see by Peeperkorn was casted at the appropriate time. I intend to deem it valid.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 01:22:19 PM »

If it were I who'd been disenfranchised, I would consider taking my grievance to court. To my knowledge the regulation in question has never been challenged.

Will do, thanks for the advice.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 01:25:24 PM »

Do you have a constitutional basis for such a suit? Having your vote disqualified for perfectly valid reasons is not grounds to sue.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 01:34:43 PM »

This is an example of why people suddenly stop playing the game. I commend you all on showing everyone an excellent example.

If it were I who'd been disenfranchised, I would consider taking my grievance to court. To my knowledge the regulation in question has never been challenged.

Will do, thanks for the advice.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 02:05:25 PM »

Governor Sirnick made a mistake and meant to post that the region passed a law to give federal election law supremacy.

However, I would like to make clear that there is no federal law that gives voters the right to edit their ballots so my personal opinion is that this law is not applicable. The federal law given supremacy is "votes edited more than 20 minutes after being posted shall be counted as void" which the region's law is in full compliance with.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

As their is no explicit contradiction, in fact we have full compliance, the Vote Sanctity Act remains in full effect and the constitutionality is unquestionable. My sincerest apologies to the affected voters.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 02:15:22 PM »

That said, if you have a legitimate constitutional basis for your case you should bring it forward. I just can't think of anything that trumps what I mentioned.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2014, 02:25:59 PM »

That's a cute interpretation, but, as I'm sure that you're aware, there are a couple of obvious objections. How Governor Sirnick chooses to count the vote will determine whether further elucidation on this point is necessary.

As I stated clearly, I'm unaware of any constitutionally sound alternatives but I would like to hear them as I particularly enjoy constitutional law debates
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2014, 02:26:53 PM »

Napoleon is correct, I told him I misposted so to say. We did pass a law affirming that federap law is Supreme, not that its really neccessary. I believe the Supreme Court established a supremacy clause etc.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2014, 02:31:26 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2014, 02:44:19 PM by butafly »

President - First Round
21 Duke/Matt (SWE, Lumine, Tmth, TheCranberry, Frodo, Scott, Goldwater, Franzl, butafly, badger, oakvale, sirnick, Marokai, Grumps, Mr. X, Cris, Devin, benconstine, Fritz, TDAS04, Superique)
13 TNF/Gass (TNF, AFJ, bore, Tyrion, Snowstalker, Mechaman, hawkeye59, windjammer, adam obawesomebiberg, Brewer, homelycooking, DemPGH, Nix)
11 Spiral/Dallasfan (Spiral, Winfield, Reaganfan, Cathcon, spamage, Kreitzer, ElectionsGuy, Napoleon, shua, Mordecai, Small L)

Second Round
30 Duke/Matt (SWE, Lumine, Tmth, TheCranberry, Frodo, Scott, Goldwater, Franzl, butafly, badger, oakvale, sirnick, Marokai, Grumps, Mr. X, Cris, Devin, benconstine, Fritz, TDAS04, Superique, Spiral, Winfield, Reaganfan, Cathcon, spamage, Kreitzer, ElectionsGuy, shua, Mordecai)
15 TNF/Gass (TNF, AFJ, bore, Tyrion, Snowstalker, Mechaman, hawkeye59, windjammer, adam obawesomebiberg, Brewer, homelycooking, DemPGH, Nix, Napoleon, Small L)
Spiral/Dallasfan

Northeast Senate - First Round
7 Bore (AFJ, butafly, bore, sirnick, Mr. X, Napoleon, Nix)
4 Poirot (SWE, Winfield, Goldwater, homelycooking)

Midwest Senate - First Round
6 Lumine (Lumine, Tmth, spamage, Cris, Fritz, TDAS04)
6 TNF (TNF, Marokai, hawkeye59, windjammer, adam obawesomebiberg, Brewer)

Mideast Senate - First Round
8 DC Al Fine (Spiral, Reaganfan, Frodo, Cathcon, Kreitzer, ElectionsGuy, shua, Mordecai)
*3 Franzl (Franzl, badger, Snowstalker)
*1 Benconstine (benconstine)

Pacific Senate - First Round
6 Tyrion (TheCranberry, Tyrion, oakvale, Devin, DemPGH, Superique)

IDS Senate - First Round
2 North Carolina Yankee (Scott, Small L)
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2014, 02:49:39 PM »

Northeast Assembly - First Round

2 Napoleon (Napoleon, Peeperkorn)
2 SWE (SWE, bore)
2 Deus (Deus, Goldwater)
2 cinyc (Grumps, Nix)
0 Branden Cordeiro