Plan to split California into 6 states advances (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:42:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Plan to split California into 6 states advances (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Plan to split California into 6 states advances  (Read 32508 times)
sparkey

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: -7.30

« on: July 25, 2014, 11:02:49 AM »

Are the locations of the state capitals part of the proposal? I haven't seen them listed anywhere. I suppose they could be sorted out later. My best guesses would be:

Central California: Fresno
Jefferson: Redding (I doubt Yreka would get it, even though that's the traditional location)
North California: Sacramento
Silicon Valley: San Jose (or San Francisco? or Oakland? could be a battle--maybe there's a compromise somewhere, like Fremont or something)
South California: San Diego
West California: Los Angeles (or maybe something more central? maybe Ventura?)
sparkey

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: -7.30

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 11:55:18 AM »

Another interesting question is how the major public universities would be renamed. Some thoughts:

Jefferson
"University of Jefferson" and "Jefferson State" would be up for grabs between Chico and Humboldt. I'm guessing that Chico, as the older institution, gets "University of Jefferson," and Humboldt takes "Jefferson State."

Central California
This one is tricky because there may be a battle over "University of Central California" between Fresno State and UC Merced. The most obvious solution, to keep Fresno State as Fresno State and change UC Merced to UCC Merced, would probably be blocked by Fresno State (the more powerful of the two institutions), because it would give Merced unfettered access to the "University of Central California" title. Fresno State could flex its muscles and become the "University of Central California" while Merced becomes "Central California Tech" or something, with Stanislaus and/or Bakersfield taking "Central California State." Either that or Fresno and Merced have to share "University of Central California."

North California
Davis obviously takes "University of North California." Sonoma and Sacramento probably share "North California State."

Silicon Valley
This one is tricky because UC Berkeley, with so much invested into being "Cal," probably wouldn't want to become the "University of Silicon Valley." My guess is that it just takes "University of California" because nobody else has it, and besides, it's still within Greater California. That would leave Santa Cruz and San Francisco to share "University of Silicon Valley" and the local CSUs to share "Silicon Valley State" (although San Jose State would have a good claim on being the Silicon Valley State University).

South California
I doubt any of the institutions would want to be "USC" anything, considering that there already is a private USC (in West California!). A possibility is that they go with city names: University of Irvine and University of Riverside work, although UC San Diego may have to get creative, since there is already a private "University of San Diego." Maybe "San Diego Research University." The local CSUs would probably follow a city/state pattern: San Diego State, San Bernardino State, etc., although San Diego State may try to take "South California State."

West California
Another tricky one because there is so much invested into the "UCLA" brand. I doubt UCLA wants to be the "University of West California." UCSB may take that name, but for UCLA, I bet it tries to keep the "UCLA" brand by either not changing their name, or changing it to "University Consortium of Los Angeles" or something like that that. The CSUs could follow a city/state pattern, except for the Cal Polys, which may change to become the West Cal Polys.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies