Plan to split California into 6 states advances (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:17:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Plan to split California into 6 states advances (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Plan to split California into 6 states advances  (Read 32497 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: July 15, 2014, 12:58:11 PM »

There have been many secession proposals in CA and the US over the years.

The only sucessful one was WV.
 ...in order not to secede they had to secede...
(from VA rather than from US)

Jefferson is also a proposed state constituting southern OR counties as
well as CA counties.

You forgot Maine and Kentucky, which originally were part of Massachusetts and Virginia respectively.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 03:07:10 PM »

That map doesn't make any sense at all. The logical two-state split is the straight line above Kern County. If you're going to divide the state that many times, the entire Bay Area should be kept together. I also don't see the logic in keeping Sacramento in a different state from Stockton and Modesto. I could see a serious proposal dividing the state at most three or four ways, but even those are a stretch.

^I stand by my post from a few months ago.

Even if this were to somehow pass (and I sincerely hope it gets destroyed), it wouldn't just require passage through Congress. Article IV of the Constitution would require consent of the California Legislature, as it involves creating new states from a current state. I don't see either as even remotely likely to happen.

IIRC, it's generally accepted that popular referendums meet the legislature requirement in various US constitutional provisions, provided that they are normally part of the legislative process.  The requirement that legislatures approve things was intended to prevent state executives from acting unilaterally, not to prevent the application of popular sovereignty.  That said, I too am dubious that Congress would approve this six-way split.  While it doesn't affect the balance in the House or Senate, it definitely tilts the electoral college towards the GOP.  Also Jefferson is rather small population-wise.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 12:34:07 AM »

The sorts of voters likely to vote in initiatives generally tend to be skew towards those distrustful of government.  A bicameral legislature by its very nature makes passing laws more difficult, which is exactly what those who distrust government should favor.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies