Plan to split California into 6 states advances (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:08:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Plan to split California into 6 states advances (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Plan to split California into 6 states advances  (Read 32502 times)
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« on: July 24, 2014, 12:26:55 AM »

An actual useful 2016 initiative would be one to abolish the California state senate. I'm really surprised that hasn't passed recently in any initiative state considering the popular support there is for things like term limits.

Nebraska doesn't count because they got rid of the lower house Tongue
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 12:52:04 AM »

The sorts of voters likely to vote in initiatives generally tend to be skew towards those distrustful of government.  A bicameral legislature by its very nature makes passing laws more difficult, which is exactly what those who distrust government should favor.

Turn-out would be pretty good if it was a normal initiative synced with the general election. California recently changed its law so there's no more initiatives in primaries for that reason.

I'd definitely be curious to see how it played out; I don't think it's been tried in any state since Reynolds v. Sims changed the base of representation for all state senates. Especially in a state where Democrats have such big super-majorities. Even some conservatives could support abolition if they see it as working against them (another chamber they have to win). Kind of like how the Oklahoma state senate recently passed the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies