Plan to split California into 6 states advances (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:15:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Plan to split California into 6 states advances (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Plan to split California into 6 states advances  (Read 32492 times)
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« on: February 22, 2014, 10:20:55 AM »

That map doesn't make any sense at all. The logical two-state split is the straight line above Kern County. If you're going to divide the state that many times, the entire Bay Area should be kept together. I also don't see the logic in keeping Sacramento in a different state from Stockton and Modesto. I could see a serious proposal dividing the state at most three or four ways, but even those are a stretch.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 12:35:54 PM »

That map doesn't make any sense at all. The logical two-state split is the straight line above Kern County. If you're going to divide the state that many times, the entire Bay Area should be kept together. I also don't see the logic in keeping Sacramento in a different state from Stockton and Modesto. I could see a serious proposal dividing the state at most three or four ways, but even those are a stretch.

^I stand by my post from a few months ago.

Even if this were to somehow pass (and I sincerely hope it gets destroyed), it wouldn't just require passage through Congress. Article IV of the Constitution would require consent of the California Legislature, as it involves creating new states from a current state. I don't see either as even remotely likely to happen.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 11:10:01 AM »

The sorts of voters likely to vote in initiatives generally tend to be skew towards those distrustful of government.  A bicameral legislature by its very nature makes passing laws more difficult, which is exactly what those who distrust government should favor.

I don't think that's the reason. The primary reason is that that kind of proposal would almost certainly have to be a citizen-initiated amendment. Politicians aren't really keen on giving up their jobs. In other words, if there's a serious proposal to adopt a unicameral legislature, it almost assuredly would not be coming form said legislature. Voters may be distrustful of government, but they also want a government that functions. California has a functioning government now, with a Democratic Governor and supermajorities in the Legislature. If it goes back to the gridlock and dysfunction of before, I wouldn't rule out serious governmental reforms. Personally, I think California would be far better off with a 120-member unicameral legislature (combining the current 80-seat Assembly and 40-seat Senate, although elected in 120 districts).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies