McCain VP Pick
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 30, 2024, 03:58:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  McCain VP Pick
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: McCain VP Pick  (Read 9465 times)
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 23, 2014, 05:02:01 AM »

(Inspired by the other thread going on right now).

Who would have been the best VP Pick for McCain in 2008?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 05:35:50 AM »

Either Romney or Huckabee.  Sure, it's easy to just go with one of the main runners up from the primaries, but it's not just that.  The three men each represented a different 'wing' of the GOP:

McCain represented the military interventionist/national security wing; Romney the Wall Street/white suburban (and I guess the Mormon) wing; Huckabee the Christian Right and Southerners.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 10:04:48 AM »

Either Romney or Huckabee.  Sure, it's easy to just go with one of the main runners up from the primaries, but it's not just that.  The three men each represented a different 'wing' of the GOP:

Because the best way to distance yourself from the people who are viewed as the cause of the financial crisis is to pick one of those people? (Romney)
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 06:01:43 PM »

Tim Pawlenty; truly a "do no harm" kind of VP.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 09:31:19 PM »

Because the best way to distance yourself from the people who are viewed as the cause of the financial crisis is to pick one of those people? (Romney)

Romney wasn't a cause of the financial crisis.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 07:18:01 PM »

Leiberman would've made the most impact, and been relatively safe, yet simultaneously audacious.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 03:31:35 PM »

Tim Pawlenty; truly a "do no harm" kind of VP.

This, and I was kind of taken aback when T-Paw wasn't picked.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 06:51:40 PM »

^In "Game Change," it is said that McCain learned he would get Lieberman nominated by the convention, but there would probably be a walk out. It would have severely depressed the base's turnout. He needed someone who excited the base as well as Palin did, while not turning off independents, which was another huge cause of picking Palin.

excelsus
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 06:56:37 PM »

I still think that McCain had to choose a woman as his running mate, who could have picked up all those votes of the bitterly disappointed Clinton supporters, preferably a minority candidate.
With that said, his best choices would have been Condoleezza Rice or, even better, Ileana Ros-Lehtinen from the most important swing state.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 10:28:07 PM »

I still think that McCain had to choose a woman as his running mate, who could have picked up all those votes of the bitterly disappointed Clinton supporters, preferably a minority candidate.
With that said, his best choices would have been Condoleezza Rice or, even better, Ileana Ros-Lehtinen from the most important swing state.

I'm not sure about Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, if only because she had never won a statewide election, and I just personally would hesitate with picking Congressmen.

I actually heard that Kay Bailey Hutchison was someone they considered. I think she would have held her own as a pick, but I'm not sure how the base would have liked her and how her ties towards the oil industry in Texas would have played in a national election (remember how they went on and on and on about how Palin "stood up to big oil").

I think they considered Jindal, Pawlenty, Thune, Crist (FL), and Tom Ridge.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 02:41:24 PM »

Oh god, Rice would've been a disaster, not only was she Bush's Secretary of State, but she was also Pro Choice.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 04:07:34 PM »

Tim Pawlenty.
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -3.30

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 05:05:12 PM »

I'm not sure about Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, if only because she had never won a statewide election, and I just personally would hesitate with picking Congressmen.

I actually heard that Kay Bailey Hutchison was someone they considered. I think she would have held her own as a pick, but I'm not sure how the base would have liked her and how her ties towards the oil industry in Texas would have played in a national election (remember how they went on and on and on about how Palin "stood up to big oil").

I think they considered Jindal, Pawlenty, Thune, Crist (FL), and Tom Ridge.
Ileana Ros-Lehtinen is born in Cuba...
And Palin would be useful in fight to a Democratic filibuster proof, as she would bring more votes to Stevens (who failed). Pawlenty could be useful in same way, helping Coleman. Another interesting name could be Mary Fallin, as solid conservative with three terms as Lieutenant Governor and Representative.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 04:53:23 PM »

^In "Game Change," it is said that McCain learned he would get Lieberman nominated by the convention, but there would probably be a walk out. It would have severely depressed the base's turnout. He needed someone who excited the base as well as Palin did, while not turning off independents, which was another huge cause of picking Palin.

Yeah, on second thought you guys are probably right. Lieberman is no Zell Miller, and the base would've responded accordingly.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 09:33:36 PM »

Mel Martinez
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 12:30:43 PM »

Mitt Romney because the economy was the dominant issue and Romney is far less controversial than Sarah Palin, plus better qualified to be Vice President. 
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 01:08:34 PM »

Mitt Romney because the economy was the dominant issue and Romney is far less controversial than Sarah Palin, plus better qualified to be Vice President. 
He also happens to be a bland old white guy, not saying that Palin was the best they got, but Pawlenty was at least a young white guy.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 04:33:17 PM »

Richard Burr?
Joshgreen
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 06:22:27 PM »

Mitt Romney would have doomed McCain. He's from the class of people who caused the recession.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2014, 04:42:49 PM »

Burr's just another boring white guy.

Actually, Hutchinson would be a decent choice, while her oil links might hurt McCain among the IRL "Palin Stood up to big oil!!11" crowd, but most likely they were just coming up with reasons to vote for her, Hutchinson is a relatively safe choice, could actually bring in Independents, and her experience would be better than Palin's two years as Governor, and she could bring in more Women voters who were distracted by Palin's..................Let's say, lack of media skills, the major issue could be her age though, she was 64 at the time.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2014, 06:32:43 PM »

What about Hutchison's views on abortion?

Would've killed relations with the base only somewhat less than Lieberman.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2014, 08:12:08 PM »

What about Meg Whitman for Vice President?
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2014, 08:16:35 PM »

In 2008? No. Maybe for Romney in 2012 if she had won the Governor's race but not in 2008.

Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2014, 08:20:55 PM »

In 2008? No. Maybe for Romney in 2012 if she had won the Governor's race but not in 2008.

Nah, both Pro Choice and a Businesswoman.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2014, 12:02:00 PM »

Nah, both Pro Choice and a Businesswoman.

Though obviously only the former would've created a problem for Romney. But still too much of one to countance serious discussion. Not to mention if they really wanted someone from NJ that year.....
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies