Can politicians still be "honest" with people when things aren't good and win? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:42:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Can politicians still be "honest" with people when things aren't good and win? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can politicians still be "honest" with people when things aren't good and win?  (Read 3628 times)
hopper
United States

« on: February 23, 2014, 03:35:21 PM »
« edited: February 23, 2014, 03:39:07 PM by hopper »

You know people are too sensitive about the 47% comment he didn't insult people he just made a sloppy comment. I'm low income myself and it didn't insult me but its like why would a Presidential Candidate say something like that? It just seemed sloppy and out of place for a Presidential Candidate to say. Its not like the comment cost Romney the election or a lot of votes though.

Obama is a good campaigner like I said in another thread and he was able to sell his case to people and Romney couldn't. Romney just seemed like he was out of touch with people in terms of empathy and Obama did have that empathy issue in his favor.
hopper
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 10:21:50 PM »

Um no the economy was pretty good in 1984 with GDP growth at 7%.
hopper
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 10:26:17 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2014, 10:35:05 PM by hopper »

I'm not sure politicians can ever be honest with the people and win, let alone when things aren't going well.
Bill Clinton was honest on the economic platform he ran on in 1992. Bush HW ran on "no new or limited tax increases" and said Clinton raised taxes and fees 24 times when he was Governor of Arkansas and Bush HW still lost the election. Clinton said in rebuttal your policies haven't worked to reduce the debt in 12 years and basically that was the election right there I think. The other one was HW Bush looking at his watch in the debate(not sure if this was the same debate) indicating to the American People he didn't want to be at that debate and that's when the American People gave him the hook as POTUS.
hopper
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 10:28:39 PM »

Mondale was a New Deal Politician running on policies people didn't want anymore or didn't think would work in the 80's.
hopper
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 10:42:23 PM »

At the outset of 2013, instead of small tax increases on the very rich and payroll tax holiday, Democratic simplification of tax code. Raise retirement age, close tax loopholes, especially on oil companies. Update social security to 21st century. Privatize a portion of social security, but raise the cap on the rich so that the loss of revenue is made up for. Repeal the employer mandate portion of Obamacare and create IRA and Health savings accounts.

Instead of sequestration and budget shutdowns, plan should of been passed in March 2013. If not Hilary will have to pass it under Dem controlled Congress.

GOP can't go around like under Dubya, and say class warfare. Truth be told is no matter if it is a GOP or Dem version, we are indeed living under Bowles-Simpson economy.
I agreed with mostly everything you said except for the GOP saying class warfare like its useless rhetoric. Why the GOP is saying that is the Dems keep on talking about the 1% or the so-called rich  making most of the money or economic gains and that a milionares tax has to be placed on the 1% or the so-called rich. That's just not gonna happen.
hopper
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 10:47:44 PM »

Jimmy Carter tried that and it backfired horribly
No Carter was a sitting duck. All the un decides went to Reagan on Election Night.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies