possible 2020 presidential candidates (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:53:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  possible 2020 presidential candidates (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: possible 2020 presidential candidates  (Read 38248 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: February 23, 2014, 09:08:21 PM »

Barring some unforeseen circumstances, we'll have an incumbent president running for reelection in 2020.  Who from the opposition party will run for their party's nomination in 2020?

If a Republican is elected in 2016, then some possible Dem. candidates for 2020:

Cory Booker
Charlie Crist
Andrew Cuomo
Kirsten Gillibrand
Maggie Hassan
John Hickenlooper
Tim Kaine
Amy Klobuchar
Jay Nixon
Martin O'Malley
Deval Patrick
Brian Schweitzer
Antonio Villaraigosa
Elizabeth Warren (she'll be over 70 by 2020, but still probably leading the early 2020 Democratic primary polls, so can't count her out)

If a Democrat is elected in 2016, then some possible GOP candidates for 2020:

Kelly Ayotte
Chris Christie
Tom Cotton
Ted Cruz
Nikki Haley
Bobby Jindal
Mike Lee
Susana Martinez
Rand Paul
Mike Pence
Marco Rubio
Paul Ryan
Rick Snyder
John Thune
Scott Walker
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 08:23:45 PM »

Kristen Gilibrand (Post-Obama Senator, Represents milestone Democrats want, Political savvy+ media connections)

That raises an interesting question.  If Clinton is the 2016 Democratic nominee, but loses the general election, will the yearning among some primary voters to nominate a woman the next time around, in 2020, be intensified, or subdued?  Obviously, it's hard to say without seeing how the campaign plays out, but is there a scenario in which she loses, and people blame it in part on the voters not being ready for a female candidate, or something like that?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 10:53:04 PM »

*bump*

OK, I guess Charlie Crist isn't going to happen.  What about other options?  Now that we've seen who won in 2014, do any of the recent winners from this year look like possible 2020 presidential candidates?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 03:10:23 PM »

*bump*

My previous assumption was that with so many establishment friendly GOP candidates running this cycle, at least a couple of them would do OK even if they don’t actually win the nomination this time, enough to justify trying again in 2020, in the event of a 2016 Democratic victory.

Now, I’m starting to wonder if this crop of candidates is so terrible that few of them will actually try again in 2020.  Maybe I need to upgrade the chances of folks like Cotton, Haley, Pence, and Snyder.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 05:09:23 PM »

It would now, sure.  But I wrote that in February of last year, when Crist re-taking the Florida governorship didn't seem so outlandish.  Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies