CNN to end 'Piers Morgan Live'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 09:16:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  CNN to end 'Piers Morgan Live'
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: CNN to end 'Piers Morgan Live'  (Read 5108 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 23, 2014, 09:53:20 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
New York Times

'Tis a shame.  Regardless of whether you agreed with his politics, the man was likeable and engaging with the people he interviewed.  Much better than Larry King, I'd say.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 09:55:39 PM »

Given Piers's issues related to the Murdoch hacking scandal, this was a good move, and may shield CNN from further blowback... My Guess is Anderson Cooper will get that slot or they'll move their Crossfire revival there.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 09:55:52 PM »

Uh, no to all of that. Larry King was a much better interviewer. He asked straight forward questions and let his guests speak. Piers makes it all about him. Also, as a progressive I hate the way he gave right wingers ammo during the gun control debate. He was the perfect liberal foil for all the gun toting NRA members.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 09:58:52 PM »

Good riddance.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 09:59:12 PM »

Probably for the best.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 10:00:05 PM »

Uh, no to all of that. Larry King was a much better interviewer. He asked straight forward questions and let his guests speak. Piers makes it all about him. Also, as a progressive I hate the way he gave right wingers ammo during the gun control debate. He was the perfect liberal foil for all the gun toting NRA members.

I guess it's a matter of taste.  The fact that King was so straight forward and blunt with his questions is why I was never his biggest fan.  I seldom felt a connection between him and his guests.  Piers was obviously too partisan for CNN and I would've preferred he didn't incorporate gun control in every other show of his, but I think he had something that King lacked.  I for one am hoping they find someone who at least shares his exuberance.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 10:03:28 PM »

'Tis a shame.  Regardless of whether you agreed with his politics, the man was likeable and engaging with the people he interviewed.  Much better than Larry King, I'd say.

I find Piers Morgan extremely obnoxious and unlikeable. 

Larry King is an acquired taste.  He wasn't very smart or interesting.  But, he was a rare person in cable news simply because he made the interviews about the interviewee.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 10:03:57 PM »

Happy Days are Here Again!!!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 10:12:51 PM »

Good; I hope they don't end the "Live" show, however. I'm sure they will find a good replacement. Anderson Cooper seems to be a good fit. Or not. I don't know, but I really think CNN doesn't have a very decent pool to pick from like MSNBC or Fox does.

old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 10:14:58 PM »

I guess it's a matter of taste.  The fact that King was so straight forward and blunt with his questions is why I was never his biggest fan.  I seldom felt a connection between him and his guests.  Piers was obviously too partisan for CNN and I would've preferred he didn't incorporate gun control in every other show of his, but I think he had something that King lacked.  I for one am hoping they find someone who at least shares his exuberance.

I might be older than you but I grew up watching Larry King Live. It was the only thing my parents would let me stay up for past 9 when he had a good guest. He was straight forward and kind of aloof when he was doing a serious interview, but he had good rapport with some of his celebrity guests. I think you might not have seen the "connection" because Larry King didn't fawn all over guests like Piers  .(have you seen his interview with Barbra Streisand? He might as well have been licking her gucci bootstraps)

I think Piers' style of tabloid journalism is just a better fit in the UK, or maybe even on an Entertainment Tonight type show here in the US. But he just dragged down CNN during his time there.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 10:22:04 PM »

Hopefully Anderson Cooper takes the spot.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 10:38:23 PM »

Good, this needed to happen.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 10:57:28 PM »

Scott, you are literally the only person on Earth who doesn't hate Piers Morgan.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 11:09:41 PM »

Amen. His show was honest-to-God unwatchable. I remember watching him interview a supporter of gun rights after Newtown and he wouldn't even let the guy speak. Kept going back to the same statistic over and over again, and when his guest actually gave a thoughtful response to the statistic, Piers just repeated himself. I am fine with partisanship and different points of view, don't invite people onto your show just to berate them.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 11:57:59 PM »

Amen. His show was honest-to-God unwatchable. I remember watching him interview a supporter of gun rights after Newtown and he wouldn't even let the guy speak. Kept going back to the same statistic over and over again, and when his guest actually gave a thoughtful response to the statistic, Piers just repeated himself. I am fine with partisanship and different points of view, don't invite people onto your show just to berate them.
He called the man "stupid" over and over again, IIRC.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 01:28:07 AM »

Give Keith Olbermann a new show. As much as I like MSNBC, the way they treated Olbermann was ridiculous.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 08:27:01 AM »

Give Keith Olbermann a new show. As much as I like MSNBC, the way they treated Olbermann was ridiculous.

That'd just be replacing an obnoxious, arrogant blowhard with and obnoxious, arrogant, but at times semi-entertaining (if you're on the left) blowhard.  Besides, O'Rielly already has a new "invent a feud to boost both our ratings" partner in Al Sharpton.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 11:00:17 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 11:08:13 AM »

Thank god.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 12:10:32 PM »

It's a very sad state of affairs when I man I can't stand actually becomes almost likeable by comparison in the USA based on the people he had to interview.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 01:01:05 PM »

Better yet, offer Martin Bashir a new show. While he could have found a better way to word what he said about Sarah Palin, he knocked it out of the park and shouldn't have so much as apologized for calling out that balloon head. And of course, Sean Hannity took to his usual routine, "Oh, we the far right who hates so many different groups of people are the loving ones and we'd NEVER say anything like that!"

But I see that as a double standard, where Martin Bashir is basically forced to resign over a bad choice of words, and Rush Limbaugh says much worse about many different people, and he's the unofficial head of the GOP.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 01:07:52 PM »

good to see CNN clean some house. First John King, now this guy.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 01:15:55 PM »

Scott, you are literally the only person on Earth who doesn't hate Piers Morgan.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2014, 01:29:25 PM »

He has a new show... On ESPN.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2014, 04:11:17 PM »

They should slide AC360 to the 8 pm (CT) time slot and Erin Burnett to the 7 pm (CT) time slot and move Crossfire to the 6:30 pm time slot and extend the Situation Room an hour to 6:30 pm CT.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies