Eisenhower's home state?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:01:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Eisenhower's home state?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which one is it?
Kansas

Pennsylvania

New York

Texas

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 20

Author Topic: Eisenhower's home state?  (Read 1476 times)
rorschach
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 24, 2014, 08:04:49 AM »

He was born in Texas, won his first term as resident of NY, his second term as resident of PA, but Wiki, the History Channel presidents documentary and other sources list his home state as Kansas. So which one should it be?
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 08:19:54 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Eisenhowers lived in Kansas prior to Dwight's birth, moved to Texas for three years (where he was born) and then moved back to Kansas, so it seems like Kansas would be most fitting as his "home state".
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 08:23:41 AM »

He was born in Texas, won his first term as resident of NY, his second term as resident of PA, but Wiki, the History Channel presidents documentary and other sources list his home state as Kansas. So which one should it be?

Usually the state of residence at time of an election is being considered a "home state". However, that can be tricky. Nixon for example won his first term while residing in New York, and the second while in California. California is considered to be his "home state" because he was born and grew up there, was elected to the House, Senate and Vice Presidency from there and returned there as President.

Ike grew up in Kansas, so that's probably why. Of course, after joining the army he didn't have a "home state" in political sense, being transferred from one assignment to another.

Due to his lack of a political past (and political base) he can't be easily classified like the other Presidents.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 08:24:18 AM »

I have always considered Kansas to be his home state.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 08:26:16 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Eisenhowers lived in Kansas prior to Dwight's birth, moved to Texas for three years (where he was born) and then moved back to Kansas, so it seems like Kansas would be most fitting as his "home state".

I should add that, when we are discussing politicians, home state doesn't equal a birth state per se. No one is going to claim Connecticut is GWB's home state, Massachusetts GHWB's, Illinois Reagan's or Vermont Coolidge's.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 11:25:29 AM »

For home state, I usually say where they were elected to, meaning Nixon's is CA, Obama's IL, etc.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies