Office of Senator Deus (Crisis and secession)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:20:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Senator Deus (Crisis and secession)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Office of Senator Deus (Crisis and secession)  (Read 11136 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: June 19, 2014, 11:18:28 PM »

Best of luck!
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2014, 01:42:30 PM »

Well, the election has concluded and my opponent has achieved victory. I congratulate him on winning this  race and wish him luck. This campaign was fairly enjoyable, and I thank him for engaging with me in a debate. It was a close race, but in the end he was the choice of Northeastern voters.

I also congratulate all of those who were elected to the Northeast Assembly, as well as Governor Talleyrand, and wish them luck in serving and governing our Region.

I will most likely remain somewhat active in Atlasia and will continue to denounce frivolous, unaccounted-for spending, tyrannical regulations, over-taxation, corporate cronyism, the Federal Reserve and all of its nefarious dealings, imperial military interventionism, protectionism and managed-trade schemes, the continued subjugation of our Republic to international outfits, Regional destruction plots, any and all restrictions on civil liberties at home (with the obvious exception of the Northeast "Happy" Ban), and any other abomination our political overlords manage to come up with. Only through popular action and activism will be able to ensure that our Regions and our Republic are places where we can live in peace, secure in our liberty, our property, and our prosperity. Thank you and Dave bless.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2014, 01:48:49 PM »

A very impressive campaign Deus. 
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2014, 11:18:01 PM »

Hello, Atlasian voters!

I'm back on the campaign trial, making my third attempt for the Atlasian Senate. I am running on a Solutions Agenda that will consist of real, specific ideas to improve the lives of everyday Atlasians while making our Republic a freer place. I will propose simple plans to help small businesses, small farmers, and working Atlasians. I will propose real reforms to reduce energy costs, make health care more affordable, improve education, and restore sound money. I will fight against imperial militarism that risks Atlasian lives, international outfits that threaten our Republic, and managed-trade schemes that imperil our industry. I will be a solid voice against perpetual, un-accounted for deficit spending that crowds out investment capital and threatens to bankrupt out descendants.

Throughout this campaign, I will try to articulate these ideas in simple, condensed paragraphs, in contrast to the long-winded lectures of my previous campaign. Stay tuned for the first few sections of my Solutions Agenda to restore the Atlasian Republic!
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2014, 11:21:48 PM »

Endorsed, of course!
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2014, 11:27:34 PM »

Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #106 on: June 28, 2014, 01:41:26 PM »

Alright, I'll start with with the big issues: Tax reform, regulatory reform, and fiscal reform. I'll do tax reform in this post, and the next two in my next few posts.

Small Business Tax Relief Act: You may question the necessity of this idea because most small businesses are exempt from paying Federal corporate tax. However, small businesses are still being taxed, often at a higher rate than larger ones! Why? Because currently, the IRS treats business income (the income derived from a business) as personal income. This doesn't really effect large corporation, which are owned by a multitude of shareholders, but it does effect small businesses, which are often owned by a single person, and whose entire profits can be classified as the "business income" of that person. So, a small business that generates 35,000 in annual profits can be taxed at an income tax rate of 22%, while a corporation that generates $10 million in annual profits will only be taxed at a corporate tax rate of 15%. This is regressive taxation, and it needs to end. My Small Business Tax Relief Act will do just that be requiring the IRS to stop treating business income as personal income and let small businesses prosper, tax-free.

Investigate Feasibility of Phasing Out Corporate Tax for Consumption Tax: If elected, I'll have a ton of questions for whoever the new GM is, but first and foremost I will investigate the fiscal feasibility of replacing the current corporate tax with a consumption tax, with a rebate system to ensure that the poor pay nothing. You may think that this is just a hand-out to fatcats at the consumer's expense, but in reality the cost of the corporate tax is already passed on to consumers and workers. By replacing it with a simple consumption tax, Atlasian consumers will actually be able to see the tax burden that Nyman had put unto them, and Atlasia will become far more competitive globally, with new businesses moving in and current ones hiring more workers. Under this system, the poor will be justly exempted from the burden, instead of having to pay the burden of the corporate tax through higher prices and lower wages. I plan to champion this revolutionary way forward to economic growth, and I'll start by looking in to the revenue figures and tax rates necessary to do so.

Eliminate Deductions to Reduce Income Tax: Currently, there is a proposal in the Senate that involves eliminating deduction in order to reduce income tax rates. It seems to be losing steam at the moment due to the fact that some Senators aren't sure of what deductions to eliminate, or even what deductions we have, and it's unclear whether the new administration will even support it. First, we need to get a comprehensive list of Federal income tax deductions. Then, we need to establish some criteria for elimination. I favor the plan set out by Senator DC during the Senate debate, when he said that we should keep deductions that are necessary to earn income in the first place, and those that avoid double taxation. All others should be eliminated, unless some extreme need for them can be demonstrated. Once we do that, we should use the revenues to cut income tax rates across the board, preferably at an equal rate. I will likely take a lot of time and debate, but I'm confident that, if elected, I can work with the Senate to eventually get something passed and reduce the income tax burden on the Atlasian people.

Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #107 on: June 28, 2014, 04:22:15 PM »

Regulatory Reform

Regulatory Overhaul and Review Act: Every year, countless costly regulations are imposed upon small businesses by bureaucratic departments, agencies, commissions, etc, without the consent of the Senate or any sort of citizen oversight. Why should unelected bureaucrats be allowed to dictate millions of expensive new rules each year with independent authority, totally unsupervised by our elected representatives in the Senate? The costs of these anti-growth regulations are insurmountable, and cost consumers and businesses untold sums every year. Why should bureaucratic bullies be able to rob the Atlasian people with this hidden production tax every year? Surely, if the regulations they've imposed upon us are so important, they can be easily justified before the Senate? My Regulatory Overhaul and Review Act will establish a sunset date of January 1, 2015 for every single Federal regulation enacted in a non-legislative manner by an unelected bureaucratic body. From now until that date, a thread will be opened where anybody can bring up a regulation they think we should keep, and the Senate will vote on whether or not to do so. My legislation will also require any new regulations to be approved by a majority vote of the Senate prior to enactment. My plan will save billions, perhaps even trillions, for Atlasian consumers and businesses simply by reigning in bureaucratic excess.

Farming Freedom Act: Small farmers across Atlasia are struggling. Land costs are high due to the residual distortionary effects of farm subsidies, and large agricultural cartels are dominating the industry. Something must be done to help those who produce the goods most vital to human life. We need to be reducing burdensome regulation on our vital agricultural producers and allowing them to grow, sell, and price their own crops and products as they see fit. The Department of Agriculture constantly issues "marketing orders," dictating which products and commodities can and cannot hit the market, which commodities must be stored for later in "reserve pools," and various other distortionary attempts to steer agricultural markets. My legislation will put a moratorium on DoA marketing orders and allow small farmers choose when they want to sell their products. This will allow them to compete with large cartels by offering more of their products to consumers, who will benefit from lower prices due to increased supply. The DoA also imposes countless price controls on farm products, especially dairy products. This prevents entrepreneurial farmers from selling their simply and cheaply produced goods below DoA-approved prices. This benefits large cartels who are protected from being undercut by smaller producers who sell locally. It also increases prices for Atlasian consumers, which is shameful and disgusting in a country where so many struggle with food insecurity. My legislation will free small farmers and help consumers by eliminating burdensome production limits and price controls.

Youth Empowerment Act: With the passage of the "Fair" Labor Standards Act of 2013, the Senate blatantly discriminated against young people by criminalizing all jobs for young people in this country. Family-operated small businesses and farms are now illegal. Teenagers now face punishment for seeking out summer jobs. Apprenticeships are no more. This ridiculous infringement on the rights of Atlasian youth must be overturned. My legislation will repeal Section 8 of the "F"LSA, and allow Atlasian teenagers to work to earn money for themselves, help their family business, improve their college resume, or simply learn valuable skills. The Labor-Federalist status quo has destroyed too many opportunities in our Republic, and I will make it a priority to restore them.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #108 on: June 28, 2014, 04:25:26 PM »

I don't agree with you on much, but you've been very active in the assembly and I have no doubt you'd be a great senator. High preference Smiley
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
« Reply #109 on: June 29, 2014, 08:42:53 PM »

Endorsed!
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2014, 04:10:58 PM »
« Edited: July 11, 2014, 04:16:11 PM by Deus Naturae »

Thanks everyone for your (semi-)endorsements!

Fiscal Reform

The Senate approves irresponsible and un-accounted for deficit spending on a weekly basis. Our massive national debt may not be the same thing as a household budget, but it is a burden upon our government that prevents us from bringing about prosperity, crowds out investment capital, and threatens to bankrupt out descendants. In the last Federal budget, the Senate spent $244.73 billion just on repaying interest on the national debt, more than all of the revenue that comes in from the lowest income tax bracket! Every year, this amount will grow as our required interest payments increase and the number of Federal creditors expands as the Senate authorizes more and more deficit spending. Every budget, we're redistributing more and more wealth from hardworking taxpayers to wealthy creditors (many in the employ of huge banks), when we could be totally eliminating the income tax on the lowest bracket! Something has to change, and we need real cuts and fiscal safeguards to ensure that we can control our burdensome national debt.

Welfare Reform Act: A while back, the Senate implemented a "basic income" program that granted a refundable tax credit to all Atlasians who did not claim itemized deductions or make use of Federal assistance programs. However, the Atlasians who are most dependent on Federal programs (low-income individuals and families) cannot receive this credit because they pay no income tax! I would introduce a bill expanding this credit to those with annual incomes below $35,000 (ie, income non-taxpayers), while also eliminating most to all Federal welfare programs (ie, food stamps, housing assistance, etc). This would be far more efficient, less costly to taxpayers, and less destructive to the work ethic. One of the main problems with government assistance is that it cuts off once the recipient(s) achieves a certain income level. This creates a perverse incentive not to advance oneself and traps people in poverty. My proposal would not have this problem because people will always have access to the benefit/credit, so there will be no disincentive to achieving a higher income level. This bill will allow us to save billions of taxpayer dollars while at the same time improving our welfare system and helping low-income Atlasians escape poverty.

Federal Employee Benefit Reform Act: Currently, Federal employee retirement and disability benefits represent $58.22 billion of the Federal budget. Private-sector employees also receive retirement benefits from their employers, typically in the form of pension plans, but they have to contribute to their pensions out of their own base pay. In the private sector, employers and employees share the costs of funding pensions, and this should be the case in the public sector as well. For every $1 contributed by taxpayers to Federal employee retirement plans, the employees would have to match that by contributing $1 out of their base pay. This would allow us to cut spending on retirement benefits by 50% without actually reducing the amount payed to employees, and would also give employees an actual ownership stake in their pensions. My bill would also include a clause prohibiting future Senates from arbitrarily reducing retirement benefits, which would be unjust (and also fiscally unnecessary) now that employees themselves will be paying into their own retirement plans. This bill would save taxpayers billions while giving Federal employees true ownership of their retirements.

Davis-Bacon Repeal Act: In 1931, the Federal government enacted a piece of legislation known as the Davis-Bacon Act. This was (and still is) a fundamentally racist piece of legislation pushed by racist white labor unions with the intent of discriminating against lower-skilled black workers. When a Federal contractor from Alabama brought his crew of low-skilled black workers to build a hospital in Long Island, Rep. Robert Bacon was appalled by the presence of the negroes in his district, and alongside racist eugenics supporter Rep. James Davis of Pennsylvania, he introduced a bill mandating that workers on Federal construction projects be paid the "prevailing wage", which effectively meant (and still means) the same thing as the negotiated wage paid to union workers. Because Federal contractors were (and still are) required to pay their workers costly union wages, there wasn't (and still isn't) any benefit involved in hiring lower-skilled black workers over higher-skilled union workers. To this day, Davis-Bacon is nothing more than a massive subsidy to union labor at the expense of taxpayers and low-skilled, less-educated workers, who are disproportionately black. By repealing this racist legislation, we can reduce the costs of Federal construction projects (thus saving buckets of taxpayer money) while giving low-income black and other low-skilled workers a chance to overcome their unfortunate circumstances (bad education etc) by working construction.

Next issues I'll cover: Education, energy, health care, transportation, monetary policy, not necessarily in that order.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2014, 10:40:56 PM »

Just to clarify, a tax credit being "refundable" means that those who file can receive the credit even if they don't pay any tax.  So, everyone can get the credit, though there may be a more efficient way of doing it.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #112 on: August 04, 2014, 06:03:45 PM »

Whats next?
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #113 on: August 05, 2014, 05:28:59 PM »

I'll be making a post about the health care bills I plan to introduce soon. I apologize for letting this thread die and not posting updates for so long, but with the special election just over now is a good time to revive my campaign and detail the rest of my proposals.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #114 on: August 06, 2014, 03:25:48 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2014, 03:30:23 PM by Deus Naturae »

Now on to health care. This is a policy area of vital importance to nearly all Atlasians, because everybody needs medical care. The recent health care reform bill changed the way that funding is provided for Atlasians in need of health care, but the underlying issue of medical costs has still gone unaddressed. Whether these costs are being paid by individuals, a taxpayer-funded health plan, or some combination of the two, we can all agree we should ideally be paying as little as possible. Thus, the key question is how to reduce medical costs. My health care proposals are centered on this issue and attempt to reduce costs and prevent cost growth in medicines, medical equipment, and medical provision in general.

FDA Reform Act: The FDA is a massive, murderous bureaucracy that exists to serve big pharmaceutical interests. It retains the power to delay the release of potentially life-saving drugs for over a decade by subjecting them to a three-phase testing process, and reserving the right to reject the application of the drug manufacturer and prevent the medicine from hitting the market at any time. This fills the coffers of Big Pharma, but in many cases costs the lives of Atlasians in dire need of medical treatment. Our once-free republic is in a sad state of affairs when a bureaucrat in Rockville, Maryland (the evil lair of the murderous FDA crime syndicate) gets to make life-or-death decisions for Atlasians on the brink of the Abyss. The collectivist defenders of the FDA will claim that it provides a "net benefit to society" which is essentially a meaningless statement. Only individuals, families, and their physicians can make meaningful decisions about the potential risks and benefits of using a certain drug or medication. It's THEIR choice, no one else's. The current process work like this:

Phase 1 - Safety test
Phase 2 - Effectiveness test
Phase 3 - Wider effectiveness and adversity test

This process can take more than a decade, and can all go to waste if the FDA decides to arbitrarily reject or delay the release of the tested drug. My reform bill would do the following: It would take away the FDA's power to reject or delay a drug's application. This would dramatically reduce the costs incurred by the lengthy testing process. I would eliminate the latter two phases of the process entirely. "Effectiveness" is subjective and only patients and physicians have the right to make a decision about a drug will be an effective choice for them. If a drug just isn't effective, it won't be prescribed except in desperate situations, in which case it should at least be given a chance. I would keep the safety test, but make it voluntary and require physicians to notify their patients about the safety test status of a drug before prescribing it. It would still make sense for manufacturers to put their drug through the test  (doctors would be far more likely to prescribe tested drugs than non-tested), but in the meantime they could market their product to people in desperate need of treatment. In short, my plan return medical decision to physicians, patients, and their families and take it out of the hands of bureaucrats primarily interested in advancing their careers by serving special interests. In doing so it would restore freedom of choice and cause medical costs to plummet, saving money for consumers and taxpayers alike.

There is more forthcoming on my health care proposals, but since this was a fairly long-winded explanation I'll just put this up to start.
Myotmi
« Reply #115 on: August 07, 2014, 12:05:56 PM »

FDA Reform Act: The FDA is a massive, murderous bureaucracy that exists to serve big pharmaceutical interests. 

"Effectiveness" is subjective and only patients and physicians have the right to make a decision about a drug will be an effective choice for them. If a drug just isn't effective, it won't be prescribed except in desperate situations, in which case it should at least be given a chance. I would keep the safety test, but make it voluntary and require physicians to notify their patients about the safety test status of a drug before prescribing it. It would still make sense for manufacturers to put their drug through the test  (doctors would be far more likely to prescribe tested drugs than non-tested), but in the meantime they could market their product to people in desperate need of treatment.

The FDA is so broken and corrupt even their own scientists had tried to alert the wider public about it (do a search engine query for "Tougher Supplement Regulation: A Necessity Or Politics?"). The FDA approval of medical drugs and products for safety and effectiveness is little more than a farce.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #116 on: August 09, 2014, 08:34:16 AM »

FDA Reform Act: The FDA is a massive, murderous bureaucracy that exists to serve big pharmaceutical interests. 

"Effectiveness" is subjective and only patients and physicians have the right to make a decision about a drug will be an effective choice for them. If a drug just isn't effective, it won't be prescribed except in desperate situations, in which case it should at least be given a chance. I would keep the safety test, but make it voluntary and require physicians to notify their patients about the safety test status of a drug before prescribing it. It would still make sense for manufacturers to put their drug through the test  (doctors would be far more likely to prescribe tested drugs than non-tested), but in the meantime they could market their product to people in desperate need of treatment.

The FDA is so broken and corrupt even their own scientists had tried to alert the wider public about it (do a search engine query for "Tougher Supplement Regulation: A Necessity Or Politics?"). The FDA approval of medical drugs and products for safety and effectiveness is little more than a farce.
Agreed. If you're interested in fixing this issue in Atlasia, make a few more posts around the forum and register to vote. All support is welcome. Smiley

Anyway, I'm typing up my other health care proposal at the moment and they should be up sometime later today.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #117 on: August 09, 2014, 10:31:11 AM »

Deus, I like very much what you say about foreign policy and a few other things, but fyi, we will be going to the UN on Iraq. I also didn't really want to sign the Ukraine bill, or I would have preferred that it be undone, but there were enough votes to override a veto. So that's just the reality, and I thought there could have been more egregious things that could have come across my desk.

Best of luck!
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #118 on: August 10, 2014, 04:42:45 PM »

Thanks for the well wishes, Mr. President!

Alright, now more on medical reform:

Pharmaceutical Patent Elimination Act: The Federal patent racket is yet another murderous scheme designed to enrich Big Pharma at the expense of patients and competing manufacturers. The entire premise behind intellectual "property" is fallacious and borderline dangerous - the notion that someone can own an idea which they can exclude from the rest of society is an offense to the free, open society. No one should be able to lay claim to a government-enforced monopoly on information, and certainly not information capable of saving lives. Politically-connected drug companies lobby for R/D subsidies that allow them to hire better scientists and build bigger labs than smaller competitors. They then use these taxpayer-financed resources to develop drug designs faster than smaller competitors. This is clearly unfair, but the practical effects wouldn't be so bad if that were the end of the process. However, this is where the patent comes into play. This drug design can then be monopolized via patent and the patent-holder can then reap exclusive monopoly profits from the drug while competing firms are unable to sell the drug or develop it further. These profits, combined with the R/D subsidies they continue to receive, allow these big firms to maintain total dominance of the industry and profit from the high drug prices this anti-competitive regime creates. Patent proponents will claim that the lucrative patent is necessary to incentivize drug development in the first place, but this is actually on of the biggest hoaxes in modern economics. There are a number of scholarly writings  showing that this is not, and has never been, the case. Those who claim that global warming is a hoax that will kill countless people in the developing world ought to turn their attention patents, which are responsible for the deaths of millions in Africa and no doubt elsewhere. Not to mention their effect on Atlaisan consumers. The solution is simple: There's no need for "reform" of this evil system of corporate rent-seeking. The pharmaceutical sector is already one of the most profitable in the country, and there is simply no need to stifle competitive innovation and enrich Big Pharma at the expense of Atlasian lives.

Medical Education and Physician Deregulation Act: The system of medical school accreditation and physician licensure is yet another rent-seeking racket that plagues the Atlasian medical care industry. In order to get licensed, aspiring doctors must have a degree from an accredited medical school. Medical schools are accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education, a bureaucratic commission run by the AMA, the doctors' union. The AMA has the power to manipulate the accreditation process so that only enough physicians will graduate enough physicians to keep the supply restricted and keep AMA profits (derived from dues) high. In a free market, when prices rise for a good/service, providers of that good/service flood into the market to provide that good/service at lower cost to the consumer. Medical school applicants have increased over time as fees have gone up...but the market has gotten no relief, and health costs have soared. We need to end the AMA union monopoly and allow aspiring young doctors to enter the noble profession of medicine.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #119 on: August 11, 2014, 11:03:46 AM »

Endorsed. We need a strong voice against the madness.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #120 on: August 14, 2014, 05:14:35 PM »
« Edited: August 15, 2014, 03:13:39 AM by Deus Naturae »

In light of the extremely troubling situation in Ferguson, MO, I feel that I must make a post about this issue and what I will do about it if elected. Since the War on Drugs was given teeth in the 1980's, local police departments have become incredibly militarized, with many now toting assault rifles, mini-tanks, armored vehicles, grenade launchers, and even remote-controlled drones and robots. This is equipment that belongs in war-zones, not local neighborhoods, most of which will NEVER have any need for military-grade weaponry. This process began with the Military Cooperation With Civilian Law Enforcement Agencies Act of 1981, which authorized the military to provide tactical equipment to law enforcement. The situation was aggravated when, in 1996, the National Defense Authorization Act was passed, containing within it Section 1033, which instructed the military to provide local police departments with surplus equipment and weaponry. What we're seeing now in Ferguson is a symptom of what's been happening across the country - warrior cops who want to be heroes requesting military weaponry and using it to oppress peaceful citizens. This MUST stop. We're heading toward a future of tanks and armored vehicles mounted with machine guns rolling down our streets, military drones flying above our heads, and armored cops in Nazi-style uniforms armed with deadly weapons and poisonous chemical sprays. If elected, I will introduce the Police Demilitarization Act which will end the never-ending flow of weaponry from the Pentagon to law enforcement and demand the return of all military weapons given out over the years, which will then be immediately sold. For too long the MIC has profited off of both foreign and domestic wars prosecuted by our government, and that will end the first week of my election to the Senate.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #121 on: August 14, 2014, 05:39:23 PM »

In light of the extremely troubling situation in Ferguson, MO, I feel that I must make a post about this issue and what I will do about it if elected. Since the War on Drugs was given teeth in the 1980's, local police departments have become incredibly militarized, with many now toting assault rifles, mini-tanks, armored vehicles, grenade launchers, and even remote-controlled drones and robots. This is equipment that belongs in war-zones, not local neighborhoods, most of which will NEVER have any need for military-grade weaponry. This process began with the Military Cooperation With Civilian Law Enforcement Agencies Act of 1981, which authorized the military to provide tactical equipment to law enforcement. The situation was aggravated when, in 1996, the National Defense Authorization Act was passed, containing within it Section 1033, which instructed he military to provide local police departments with surplus equipment and weaponry. What we're seeing no in Ferguson is a symptom of what's been happening across the country - warrior cops who want to be heroes requesting military weaponry and using it to oppress peaceful citizens. This MUST stop. We're heading toward a future of tanks and armored vehicles mounted with machine guns rolling down our streets, military drones flying above our heads, and armored cops in Nazi-style uniforms armed with deadly weapons and poisonous chemical sprays. If elected, I will introduce the Police Demilitarization Act which will end the never-ending flow of weaponry from the Pentagon to law enforcement and demand the return of all military weapons given out over the years, which will then be immediately sold. For too long the MIC has profited off of both foreign and domestic wars prosecuted by our government, and that will end the first week of my election to the Senate.

I can guarantee my support and cosponsorship provided I get elected alongside you
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #122 on: August 20, 2014, 10:22:39 PM »
« Edited: August 21, 2014, 09:50:44 AM by Deus Naturae »

Thank you for your support, JCL!

With the election almost upon us, I'm releasing what will possibly be my last proposal of the campaign. I'd hoped to get more done but my life has been very hectic for a large part of this summer so I was not able to post everything I wished and there were long gaps between posting. However, rest assured that the proposals outlined in this thread are far from an exhaustive list of my ideas.

My opponent Polnut as well as Pacific Governor Simfan have both released energy proposals, both with decent components, though of course much that I disagree with. In addition to what they've put forth, here are some ideas that i will try to get through if elected:

Nuclear Reactor Fast-Track Act: This was an idea that I first proposed in my last campaign and one that is still vital to fostering a thriving nuclear sector in our Republic. For years, the nuclear sector has been stagnant, with almost new plants being built. This nuclear producers must go through an extensive, costly, and disorganized NRC licensing application process. Obviously, there are legitimate precautions that should be taken, but the fact that almost no new reactors have been approved for use, despite the fact that a number of new designs have come on the market. The designs have been certified, but actual reactors using them have not. The problem here is that there is no straightforward, streamlined way of getting approval for reactor construction. Like many unaccountable bureaucracies, the NRC is inefficient and costs consumers by forcing potential nuclear energy producers to languish when they could be powering the Atlasian economy. We can solve this problem without sacrificing safety. We just need to set up a streamlined license application process that the NRC use and adhere to to ensure that capable nuclear producers can get approval quickly and cheaply. Under the simple fast-track process my proposal would set up, the NRc would have to approve any application which met the following standards:

a. Their reactor is of an NRC-certified design or, if it is of a foreign design, has been proven to operate safely and efficiently.
b. They have submitted a complete safety report detailing everything about their plant.
c. The information in their report has been confirmed by an NRC inspector and indicates that they are up to NRC plant safety standards.

The NRC would have to review the application in a timely and efficient manner, and approve it if it meets these simple criteria. My proposal establishes a straightforward and safe path to nuclear energy production, that will allow new plants to be constructed and allow electricity rates to decline.

Legalize Energy-backed Currencies: Historically, money has arisen as a commodity. Traditionally this commodity has been a precious metal like gold or silver, but in our modern industrial society, there is perhaps no commodity more valuable than that which is indispensable for civilized life: Energy. There are already active attempts to establish electricity-backed currencies, but these efforts are hindered by the current legal tender regime, which requires all businesses to accept Atlasian fiat dollars. Repeal the legal tender laws and allow businesses to accept energy-backed units as valid currency, and you will see an explosion in economic activity and energy affordability. Local communities will be able to directly convert their production capacity into purchasing power, and people will be able to access electricity easily by exchanging any goods/services for electro-dollars, which they can then redeem for energy. For more info on energy-backed currencies, see here and here.
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
« Reply #123 on: August 20, 2014, 11:35:49 PM »

As Vice-Chair of the Democratic-Republicans, I thought it best to inform you that you have the Party's public support and endorsement along with JCL.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2014, 05:16:38 PM »

I strongly support your first proposal. We need to cut down the approval period to 3-5 years, and not just for nuclear... infrastructure across-the-board.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies