Office of Senator Deus (Crisis and secession)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:32:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Senator Deus (Crisis and secession)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Office of Senator Deus (Crisis and secession)  (Read 11149 times)
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 24, 2014, 11:06:37 PM »
« edited: October 03, 2014, 06:03:20 PM by Deus Naturae »

Welcome to my office.

I plan to use this thread to explain my votes in the Assembly, make campaign announcements, and occasionally comment on current events relevant to the Northeast. All questions and legislation requests from constituents are of course welcome.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 11:08:04 PM »

This is beautiful.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 11:09:57 PM »

SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 03:02:47 PM »

I wish my office was this nice Sad
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 09:20:07 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2014, 10:40:52 PM by Rep. Deus »

In accordance with the Northeastern Town Hall Act of 2013, I am now holding a town hall style conversation in my office. This town hall will last until 12:00 am on Monday March 17, 2014. All questions are welcome.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 04:57:36 PM »

Town Hall Act of 2013? Did I sign that?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 05:05:07 PM »

Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 06:01:39 PM »

According to the Vital Civic Information Thread, yes. Here is the bill.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 08:43:13 PM »

Should have vetoed Wink
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 09:41:31 PM »

Should have vetoed Wink

There have been several of these laws passed in recent years that are either repealed or simply forgotten. I don't pay much attention to the affairs of the Mideast but I believe they don't enforce their's either.

It seems like a well-intentioned measure but in reality (as has been proven) is seldom if ever adhered to. I'd sign a repeal of this law.

Anywho, with regards to the current town hall, not much to say except that you've been a great Representative. Keep up the good work.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 10:44:32 PM »
« Edited: March 26, 2014, 10:50:45 PM by Rep. Deus »

I am announcing my campaign to represent the people of Atlasia as At-Large Senator. This short campaign will not be one of gimmicks or personality, but will focus on one common ideal and pursuit: that of liberty.

I plan to produce a more detailed platform sometime tomorrow, but for now I will give the general principles my campaign is based on, and that I will fight for if elected:

A society based on non-coercion and freedom of association.

A rational foreign policy based on respect for other nations and a desire for peace.

A new system of federal taxation that will spur regional activity, allow for innovative and alternative approaches to taxation, create economic growth, and make the tax code more reflective of the views and interests of those it is being imposed upon.

Exit from international agreements and organizations that seek to extinguish the fire of Atlasian liberty, and negotiation of new treaties and agreements with other nations that ensure the protection of our national sovereignty, protect the rights of Atlasians, and are genuinely in the interests of our population and defense.

Reconsideration and review of previously passed laws and regulations, with the purpose of repealing or amending ill-thought out statutes. Anyone familiar with my work in the Northeast Assembly knows what I'm talking about.

Thank you and Dave bless.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 10:47:57 PM »

Endorsed obviously.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 11:26:53 PM »

Since I assume your tax plan would reduce revenue, what would you cut to make up for it?
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 11:55:13 PM »

Since I assume your tax plan would reduce revenue, what would you cut to make up for it?
My plan would not necessarily reduce revenues (I will go more in depth on my tax reform idea when I have access to a computer tomorrow). But, as far as revenues go, I would first move to eliminate all forms of corporate welfare/subsidies. If I were unable to get my tax reform idea passed, I would also work to eliminate special interest tax credits, thus increasing revenues while equalizing the tax burden.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 12:23:24 AM »

Endorsed. Smiley
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2014, 03:01:01 AM »

Well, I agree with you on virtually NOTHING. But I respect your activity. Good luck.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2014, 08:02:18 AM »

Exit from international agreements and organizations that seek to extinguish the fire of Atlasian liberty.

Like...?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2014, 08:39:07 AM »

Given you're the only declared candidate who doesn't seem to have a creepy obsession with me, endorsed. Smiley
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2014, 12:22:09 PM »

Endorsed for second preference!
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2014, 02:22:18 PM »

Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2014, 04:33:13 PM »
« Edited: March 27, 2014, 10:32:17 PM by Rep. Deus »

I am announcing my campaign to represent the people of Atlasia as At-Large Senator. This short campaign will not be one of gimmicks or personality, but will focus on one common ideal and pursuit: that of liberty.

I plan to produce a more detailed platform sometime tomorrow, but for now I will give the general principles my campaign is based on, and that I will fight for if elected:

A society based on non-coercion and freedom of association.

A rational foreign policy based on respect for other nations and a desire for peace.

A new system of federal taxation that will spur regional activity, allow for innovative and alternative approaches to taxation, create economic growth, and make the tax code more reflective of the views and interests of those it is being imposed upon.

Exit from international agreements and organizations that seek to extinguish the fire of Atlasian liberty, and negotiation of new treaties and agreements with other nations that ensure the protection of our national sovereignty, protect the rights of Atlasians, and are genuinely in the interests of our population and defense.

Reconsideration and review of previously passed laws and regulations, with the purpose of repealing or amending ill-thought out statutes. Anyone familiar with my work in the Northeast Assembly knows what I'm talking about.

To expand on this, here are my proposed economic policies (I will do foreign and possibly social later today):

Economic

Taxation: Our current federal tax code is full of anti-growth and anti-freedom taxes that hurt our competitiveness, punish hardworking Atlasians, and unjustly impose a one-size-fits-all tax system on the entirety of an incredibly economically diverse nation. We have taxes on income, property, businesses, financial transactions, energy, fuels, chemicals, drugs, and even broadcasters. As ridiculous as it is to impose such a multitude of burdens upon the Atlasian people, it is even more ridiculous to think that our entire tax code should be federally imposed upon the diverse economies of every single region. This is why I am proposing a new tax system that would allow each region to write its own federal tax code in accordance with its own economy and interests. Here's how this would work: Each fiscal year, the federal government would determine its total expenditures, and then require each region to collect a certain percentage of the revenue for said expenditures. There would be no requirements or mandates about which methods the Regions could use to collect revenue, and each regional legislature would be able to write its own federal tax code. Not only would this allow different regions to implement taxes more appropriate for their economies, but it would allow for competing methods of taxation, so that every individual and business would have far more choice over which sort of taxes are imposed upon them. Anti-growth tax policies would be confined to the regions in which they were implemented, rather than imposed upon the entire republic. There are a variety of methods that could be used to determine each region's share of revenue (we could use population, or some sort of economic statistic).

Bailouts: In the words of Gary Johnson, "I agree with the TEA Party that Americans are Taxed Enough Already, but I also agree with Occupy Wall Street that this country is for sale, and our government has sold it." I wholly agree with his statement, other than Johnson's strange comment about "Americans" (whatever that means). I am completely and totally opposed to any form of corporate bailouts, whether they be for fatcat banksters, automobile manufacturers, or any other group that wants to save their ass by raping the taxpayer. I do not mean to sound callous or uncaring to the people who will inevitably lose their jobs when companies fail. In fact, it is my desire to avoid such that motivates my opposition to bailouts. Only by ending the perpetual cycle of cronyist bailouts (as well as special subsidies and regulations that favor large, incumbent firms) can we hope to end chronic mismanagement of corporations and "too big to fail" nonsense, thus returning to a system of true free-market capitalism.

Corporate subsidies: I advocate a total end to any and all subsides to corporations and industries. The free market vs. subsides debate, or as I like to call it the capitalism vs. corporatism debate, is rather simple. It is a struggle between two economic systems: capitalism (the glorious free enterprise system in which consumers and investors freely allocate resources to competing firms) and corporatism (a system historically promoted by fascists, in which resources are allocated to large, government-selected firms chosen by economic planning agencies). Capitalism allows for free choice by consumers and investors, corporatism treats them like lab rats to be "stimulated" and "incentivized." Capitalism allows firms to succeed based on quality and affordability, corporatism allows massive, mismanaged firms to succeed based on political connection. The voters have clear choices in this matter: capitalism vs. corporatism, free market vs. subsidies, freedom vs. fascism.

Education: As someone who has been personally victimized by Common Core, I know that federal mandates in education do not work. I have attended schools both public and private, religious and secular, strict and liberal. I have also received home education from family members. I know that there is real value to educational diversity and freedom. This is why I favor an end to all federal educational mandates and requirements, and the continued federal funding of education via block grants to the Regions. Regional governments would be able to use these funds on any approach to education, be it traditional public schools, charter schools, private voucher programs, or educational tax credits. Only through a diverse, competitive educational environment can we hope to make real progress educating and preparing our beloved children, at a time when we as a nation seem to be slipping farther and farther behind.

Domestic programs: I am two main things with regard to domestic programs: A regionalist and a reformist. I believe that the feds need not be in control of all our programs, and would attempt to adapt my approach to education to other programs where regional innovation could have a positive impact. I would also go through the federal statute, just as I have done in the Northeast, and attempt to identify programs that could be reformed, improved, or that we might want to consider eliminating. I belive that there is always room for improvement, and this is the approach I would take to reforming and reviewing our domestic programs.

Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 08:19:39 PM »
« Edited: March 27, 2014, 10:28:52 PM by Rep. Deus »

Foreign

An end to foreign occupations: The great nation of Atlasia is a republic, not an empire. It is time we recognize this fact by ending our imperial occupations of foreign lands in which our presence is unwarranted or unwanted, often both. I advocate the gradual withdrawal of Atlasian military bases from Europe, as well as South and Central America. The presence of these bases represents a time when Atlasia was fighting a global war against titans like Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union. It is time to bring our foreign military presence in line with modern realities, which means withdrawal of most (if not all) bases in places like Europe and South America. Fearmongers will claim that this policy will lead to mass subjugation of nations across the globe, but the time has come for these countries to manage and fund their own defense, so that they may take their place in the community of nations as free, independent states.  I also advocate the withdrawal of bases from hostile regions like the Middle East. Our presence in this region (characterized namely by war and destruction) serves only to create hatred and resentment of our people among the inhabitants of the nations we occupy. We may not like the governments of many Middle Eastern countries, but that is no excuse to violate the rights of sovereign states. Moreover, our presence in some Middle Eastern countries represents support for oppressive and murderous regimes, something which is totally unconscionable. Finally, while I would reduce our military presence in all areas, I would maintain light forces in the Southeast Asian Pacific region. Some countries in that region (namely China and North Korea) have shown a tendency towards naval aggression, and I think it wise to maintain some forces there with the purpose of defending Atlasian vessels if such action were to become necessary.

An end to entangling alliances: Like Thomas Jefferson, I advocate a foreign policy of "commerce and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none." It is for this reason that I advocate Atlasian withdrawal from military alliances, as well as global organizations, that are not in the interests of our people or our national defense. The most glaring example of this is NATO, an international organization so powerful that the flow of funds into its coffers constitutes >70% of global military spending. There is no reason why the Atlasian taxpayer should have to subsidize the defense budgets of other countries, as well as the violent wars and interventions NATO loves to engage in. You may view this position as selfish or isolationist, but get this: The US funds more that 75% of NATO's defense budget, while most other participants fund only single-digit portions of NATO's budget. I see no reason to remain in an international military outfit that seeks to fund wars and subsidize weapons contractors by screwing the Atlasian taxpayer.

An end to managed trade: I am a passionate supporter of 100% free trade. This means no cronyist tariffs that increase prices and prevent the free flow of goods, no ineffective embargoes or sanctions that hurt the citizens of other countries while antagonizing their governments, and no international managed-trade treaties that serve as vehicles to expand the regulatory states of the signatories, all the while regulating and controlling international trade under the name of free trade. To accomplish these three goals, I will:

1. Fight for the abolition of all tariffs, especially tariffs on agricultural products that serve as a cronyist subsidy to the agricultural industry while cruelly increasing domestic food prices.

2. Fight for an end to all foreign embargoes and sanctions, especially the Cuban embargo, which has prevented Cuban citizens from accessing basic medical goods, while at the same time empowering the Cuban government to blame all of the country's economic woes on the US embargo.

3. Fight for withdrawal from all international managed-trade treaties, especially NAFTA, which establishes "upward harmonization" designed to prevent genuine competition between the signatories by expanding the regulatory states of the US, Canada, and Mexico, and contains provision designed to prevent the signatories from ever rolling back regulation.

An end to foreign "aid": Foreign aid proponents offer two arguments in defense of wasteful foreign aid programs: The alleged strategic (geopolitical) and developmental (economic) benefits of foreign aid. I reject both of these arguments, and contend that foreign aid does little to alleviate the problems in African and other impoverished economies.

First, I reject the "strategic" argument as imperialist and morally revolting. Atlasian tax dollars should never go towards funding corrupt or despotic regimes, regardless of the effect these programs have on our strategic position on the African continent or elsewhere.

Second, I reject the "developmental" argument as well-meaning but misguided. For one thing, foreign aid does little to help with economic growth, as economist Fredrik Erixon pointed out in 2005. This is in part because, as Erixon explains in the linked article, much of foreign aid is spent on socialization and other anti-growth policies, unlike free trade, which allows for greater competition and inflow of new and better products, as well as the free exchange of ideas. Erixon goes on to point out (as so many have) that a huge amount of foreign aid is lost to corrupt government officials, and effectively incentivizes corruption in nations already struggling with such. Finally, foreign aid is known for destabilizing markets in target countries. For example, many an African farmer goes penniless because foreign food aid has rendered his products and economic function useless. It is high time we end this cycle of socialization, corruption, and destabilization, and seek to help impoverished economies via free exchange of goods and ideas.

Thank you and may Dave's peace be upon you.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2014, 09:19:26 PM »

Voting will begin in a few hours, so I am now accepting any and all questions about my policy proposals, positions, or anything else.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2014, 03:05:19 PM »
« Edited: March 28, 2014, 03:32:11 PM by Rep. Deus »

I advise any economic conservative considering first preferencing Simfan to look at this statement, made by Mr. Simfan at a speech in California several months ago:

The property acquisition process is moving slowly with eight properties owned by resisting occupants being successfully seized. In my opinion, land owners who resist selling their land for the project should not be compensated when it is seized through eminent domain- for standing in the way of progress.

Here Mr. Simfan, supposedly opposed to socialism, calls for government confiscation of private property for no compensation. Apparently, he believes that the violent confiscation of private property is justifiable when property owners refuse to capitulate to the demands of a massive government project. And his reasoning? By attempting to maintain their basic right to property ownership, these individuals are, he believes, standing in the way of "progress" and "the Greater Good." In his view, the individual is worthless and all property is the governments for the taking for whatever end it desires, so long as they claim it is in "the public interest" or some such thing. Is this really someone we want to give the power in fiscal and economic affairs? I respect Mr. Simfan, but his deranged, collectivist-majoritarian ideology needs to be known to voters.

I implore anyone who values private property to vote for me, the only true supporter of private property rights in this election. If elected, I will treat your rights as sacred, not some privilege to be arbitrarily denied in the name of "progress."
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2014, 03:27:34 PM »

...what? Mr Deus, I had hoped for an honest campaign. That remark... was not made in an Atlasian context.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies