Does a Hillary win look more or less likely now compared to one year ago
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:13:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Does a Hillary win look more or less likely now compared to one year ago
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Does a Hillary win look more or less likely now compared to one year ago
More likely

The same

Less likely

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 86

Author Topic: Does a Hillary win look more or less likely now compared to one year ago  (Read 1760 times)
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 25, 2014, 04:40:21 AM »

Rampant speculation about the 2016 election started as usual the day after the 2012 election (or in the case of this board, even earlier).

Back then, Hillary Clinton's approval ratings were through the roof and many considered her an inevitable winner in 2016 - or at least the surefire democratic nominee.

However, others maintained that lots could happen in four years and that Hillary might not even be interested in running again.

So what is the case a bit more than one year later? We're closer to primary season now, but there's still almost two years until the first primaries are held.

Hillary's approval ratings are still high, but not as high as they used to be. She still beats everybody in general election head-to-head polls and has a historical lead in dem primary polls.

For my own money I have actually voted "more likely". The reasoning being that while I was very sceptical whether she'd actually run one year ago, now I think she looks likely to run. I'm still far from certain, but if the polls are still this good next year, then I think she's in. And let's face it, the way things are looking right now, she would be the favourite for the election. Granted, Obamas approval ratings are poor, but the economy has continued to recover, which means that Obama has at least a fair chance of having decent approval ratings when 2016 comes around (assuming that the economy continues to recover, which obviously is far from certain).
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 04:56:37 AM »

The only realistic Republican candidate with huge cross-over appeal, Christie, imploded since last year, so it's pretty clear to me that Hillary's odds of winning it all in 2016 is much greater today than it was a year ago. The other Republican who was also hailed as a possible saviour a year ag, Marco Rubio, isn't much talked about anymore either, after he chickened out and abandoned his own immigration plan (not to mention water-gate lol).
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 06:29:48 AM »

More likely, because all of the talked about GOP candidates are dropping like flies
RedPrometheus

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 09:24:58 AM »

More likely, because all of the talked about GOP candidates are dropping like flies

The Republicans need to come up with someone to beat Clinton. But I can't imagine who it could be.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 10:05:13 AM »

Less likely. 2013 wasn't Obama's best year thanks to the Health Care roll-out and the NSA reveals. Anything that hurts the President hurts the likely Democratic nominee.
whanztastic
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 10:16:06 AM »

Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 12:44:32 PM »

More likely simply because she has been able to continue to lead the pack rather than fall behind while the GOP frontrunners have not been able to do so.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 01:05:54 PM »

More likely due to Bridgegate, despite her falling a bit in the polls.
m4567
Rookie
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 02:59:44 PM »

I used to think it was too good to be true. I started buying into the Hillary hype a few months ago. Because of how weak the republcans look now, there's an even better chance of her running and winning.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 03:28:51 PM »

The only realistic Republican candidate with huge cross-over appeal, Christie, imploded since last year, so it's pretty clear to me that Hillary's odds of winning it all in 2016 is much greater today than it was a year ago. The other Republican who was also hailed as a possible saviour a year ag, Marco Rubio, isn't much talked about anymore either, after he chickened out and abandoned his own immigration plan (not to mention water-gate lol).

This cannot be overstated. Before Christie decided that short-sighted, petty retaliation was more important than the bigger picture, he was running neck-and-neck with Clinton in most national polling, and was easily the GOP's best chance of winning the Presidency in 2016.

Now, the party has to start all over again.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 03:52:04 PM »

Christie was always overrated Walker is the real frontrunner. Clinton is riding on name rec. right now when the campaign heats up expect the race to tighten significantly.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 05:14:06 PM »

Christie was always overrated Walker is the real frontrunner. Clinton is riding on name rec. right now when the campaign heats up expect the race to tighten significantly.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 05:20:31 PM »

What's with this Walker fetishization?
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 08:29:52 PM »

What's with this Walker fetishization?
Some are falsely blinded by his win in the recall race that he has crossover appeal and the ability to unite both wings of the Republican Policy. This is false. He hasn't taken any position on any national issues.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 10:50:00 PM »

If the GOP nominates someone who isn't a hawk, they should win.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 04:14:06 PM »

Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 04:17:31 PM »

I don't believe that the GOP is in as terrible shape as the forum liberal hacks make it out to be. Governor So and So is an electable Republican. Then his older brother calls a woman a jerk.
"WHAT A SEXIST FAMILY! THERE GOES HIS WHITE HOUSE CHANCES!"

It's overblown.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 04:19:41 PM »

I don't believe that the GOP is in as terrible shape as the forum liberal hacks make it out to be. Governor So and So is an electable Republican. Then his older brother calls a woman a jerk.

It's overblown.
When did that happen?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 04:20:58 PM »

It's overblown.
When did that happen?

It's an example of how if a Republican coughs, liberals say they are unelectable.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 04:24:34 PM »

It's overblown.
When did that happen?

It's an example of how if a Republican coughs, liberals say they are unelectable.
Excuse me? I am a fairly hardcore Liberal and I don't do that crap, only when it really matters (BridgeGate, 47%, Ted Cruz and Dr. Seuss)
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2014, 04:51:57 PM »

I voted the same because the national environment is unfriendlier to the Democrats currently which will make it tougher, yet the Republicans lost one of their most credible candidates (Christie) to scandal, which kind of balances out I guess.

If I had to choose though, it'd probably be more likely. Hillary seems to be navigating the political scene relatively well so far since her return and Democrats are staying excited about her. As long as Hillary keeps her base and Obama's base happy and genuinely excited for her election, she's going to be extraordinarily tough to beat. But doing that for 2 and half years is gonna tough, but I have faith Hillary can keep it up as long as any serious potential rivals are scared out of running.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2014, 06:23:52 PM »

More likely, with the crop of female candidates in office like Elizabeth Warren, make it more likely that she runs. Warren who was the anti Wallstreet candidate, and populism made it possible for Hilary to run. She isn't anti Wallstreet, but she is a feminist, and turn the investor class on its head by taking about income inequality. In addition to Bridgegate.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2014, 08:54:20 PM »

Regarding Christie, it's worth noting that an year ago he was doing well in the polls, and as Governor of New Jersey, but he hadn't yet had the month of good publicity and national attention that came with his landslide reelection, but also coincided with the botched health care website rollout.

Christie wasn't yet seen as a guy with a better than even chance of winning the nomination on February 2013.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2014, 11:46:12 PM »

More likely because the Republicans have done nothing to gain on her while calendar pages have been disappearing. Barack Obama has done nothing (scandals, military or diplomatic blunders) to make a GOP win a sure thing.

Bull Moose Base

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2014, 03:54:04 AM »

It's overblown.
When did that happen?

Only when it turns out the cough was a pre-arranged signal for some traffic problems in Fort Lee.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies