Missouri joins the crazy train
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:55:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Missouri joins the crazy train
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Missouri joins the crazy train  (Read 2508 times)
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 26, 2014, 11:16:19 AM »

Another state proposes encouraging discrimination.

http://www.news-leader.com/article/20140226/NEWS01/302260019/missouri-state-senator-bill-wallingford
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 11:17:38 AM »

Fortunately, this will be vetoed.
Representative Joe Mad
Joe Mad
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 01:01:19 PM »

Yea, as disgraceful as this is, I've complete faith Nixon will do the right thing.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 01:14:27 PM »

Yea, as disgraceful as this is, I've complete faith Nixon will do the right thing.

I know it's a different Nixon, but you don't hear that every day.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 01:21:39 PM »

Can't the legislature simply override Nixon?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 01:41:06 PM »

Can't the legislature simply override Nixon?

I don't know if they have a 2/3 majority or not, but even if they do, I think with the AZ experience they will struggle to do so. If it passes.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 01:43:35 PM »

Stuff like this and what's going on in AZ sound more like an Onion story than real life.  SMH at both for sure, but it surprises me less given the rube population in MO.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 02:34:49 PM »

I understand what Wallingford is trying to do, but he's going about it the wrong way. Let the courts decide when specific performance is the proper remedy.

Overall, this isn't a detestable legislative pursuit. Imagine a gay-bashing Christian fundamentalist wanted his daughter to have special wedding dress designed by her favorite designer. The dress designer is gay and refuses to design a dress for a Christian fundamentalist.

Are you really going to force a gay designer to use his talents to further the happiness of someone who offends him? If so, you're part of the problem. Wallingford actually believes they should have the right to refuse.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 02:38:54 PM »

I understand what Wallingford is trying to do, but he's going about it the wrong way. Let the courts decide when specific performance is the proper remedy.

Overall, this isn't a detestable legislative pursuit. Imagine a gay-bashing Christian fundamentalist wanted his daughter to have special wedding dress designed by her favorite designer. The dress designer is gay and refuses to design a dress for a Christian fundamentalist.

Are you really going to force a gay designer to use his talents to further the happiness of someone who offends him?

Yes. The rights of the people matter more than the rights of businesses.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 03:08:48 PM »

There is also a bill like this in Georgia's legislature apparently.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 03:22:08 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2014, 03:24:16 PM by Less-Progressivism, More Realism »

I think the most recent wave of these bills is motivated out of spite and anger over the fact that overt bigotry isn't nearly as socially acceptable as it used to be (especially bigotry toward gays, which has become more and more uncool within the past decade or so).

This is as much motivated by backlash against the very idea of changing social attitudes as it is motivated by actual animus against minority groups.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 03:31:27 PM »

People and business are the same. We only separate them for legislative convenience.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 03:35:59 PM »

People and business are the same. We only separate them for legislative convenience.

You don't notice any differences? Not very observant.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 03:42:29 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2h8ujX6T0A
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 04:35:09 PM »

I know that people invented commerce and business organizations. The ambitions of businesses are always dictated by people.

I understand that business was created to pursue profit, whereas the individual pursues a more complicated metric (utility), but pretending that business is not entitled to certain protections is likely cleaving off the parts of humanity you find to be inconvenient.

Have you ever demanded that your employer pay your less money? Didn't think so. You are business. You can't run from it.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 04:55:45 PM »

You do not see that a business, and the act of operating a business, carries with it certain responsibilities that are not typically levied upon an individual? 
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 05:45:58 PM »

The dems here got Jay Nixon for their cover, so this isn't going through even though the legislature would probably pass it overwhelmingly.

BTW, why is this happening in like every state now? Do they really think this is a good idea??
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 06:18:37 PM »

The dems here got Jay Nixon for their cover, so this isn't going through even though the legislature would probably pass it overwhelmingly.

BTW, why is this happening in like every state now? Do they really think this is a good idea??

Republicans in most state legislatures are bats*** crazy.  Just like how gerrymandering can help bring out the bat**** in Congress, it does even more in State Legislatures
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 07:56:18 PM »

Uh, no. Clearly you don't understand how limited liability works. The separation of people and businesses is what enables businesses to start easier and removes personal liability from the equation.

You're also assuming the rest of society is as filled with hate, discrimination and resentment as supporters of this bill are.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 08:49:16 PM »

The thing I love is how marginalized ultra con Republicans saw the Arizona bill and thought, "what a great idea! We need this for our state!"

You know, even as their colleagues in other states are being beaten down over it. It's insane how terrible at mass politics Republicans are getting.
seanNJ9
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2014, 08:58:17 PM »

The thing I love is how marginalized ultra con Republicans saw the Arizona bill and thought, "what a great idea! We need this for our state!"

You know, even as their colleagues in other states are being beaten down over it. It's insane how terrible at mass politics Republicans are getting.

It would be nice if they actually thought that, it's more likely some anonymous state legislator just wants Rachel Maddow to talk about them in prime time. 
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2014, 09:06:57 PM »

Are you really going to force a gay designer to use his talents to further the happiness of someone who offends him? If so, you're part of the problem. Wallingford actually believes they should have the right to refuse.

The right approach of the gay designer would be to make his homosexuality clear to her. I figure that she might have some questions about gays based upon her parents' stereotypes.

Obvious answers to unstated questions:

1. No, I did not choose homosexuality.
2. I thoroughly loathe perverts who abuse children.
3. God made me, and he made me gay.
4. I know of gays and lesbians who have very firm belief in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
5. Jesus had nothing against homosexuality except against temple prostitution of any kind.  
6. Your father and boyfriend trust that because I am gay I will not seduce you.
7. We ask only for equal rights -- not "special rights".
8. Children are not sex objects.

...Ultimately the antipathy to homosexuality will die as conservative-leaning businessmen discover that homophobia is bad for business -- much as was the case with antisemitism and racism.

AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2014, 11:42:02 PM »

The separation of people and businesses is what enables businesses to start easier and removes personal liability from the equation

No kidding. Maybe that's why I said we separate them for convenience.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2014, 11:58:48 PM »

The separation of people and businesses is what enables businesses to start easier and removes personal liability from the equation

No kidding. Maybe that's why I said we separate them for convenience.

Which is precisely why they aren't "the same" as you put it. If they were "the same" then limited liability could not exist.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2014, 04:08:58 AM »

Wacky Wayne Wallingford is just that. I unfortunately live in his district (didn't vote for him, obviously) but I interviewed him in my college journalism class when he was running for a vacated state House seat based in Cape Girardeau, and he's a typical career politician. He lost the primary for that House seat and then immediately jumped into the state Senate race after Jason Crowell was term limited. I agree with the poster on here who said he's only doing this to bring primetime attention to himself so he can build his name recognition when he tries to run for higher office. He's slime but unfortunately as long as he has an R after his name, he'll continue to be reelected.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies