Missouri joins the crazy train (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:28:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Missouri joins the crazy train (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Missouri joins the crazy train  (Read 2528 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« on: February 26, 2014, 09:06:57 PM »

I understand what Wallingford is trying to do, but he's going about it the wrong way. Let the courts decide when specific performance is the proper remedy.

Overall, this isn't a detestable legislative pursuit. Imagine a gay-bashing Christian fundamentalist wanted his daughter to have special wedding dress designed by her favorite designer. The dress designer is gay and refuses to design a dress for a Christian fundamentalist.

Are you really going to force a gay designer to use his talents to further the happiness of someone who offends him? If so, you're part of the problem. Wallingford actually believes they should have the right to refuse.

The right approach of the gay designer would be to make his homosexuality clear to her. I figure that she might have some questions about gays based upon her parents' stereotypes.

Obvious answers to unstated questions:

1. No, I did not choose homosexuality.
2. I thoroughly loathe perverts who abuse children.
3. God made me, and he made me gay.
4. I know of gays and lesbians who have very firm belief in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
5. Jesus had nothing against homosexuality except against temple prostitution of any kind.  
6. Your father and boyfriend trust that because I am gay I will not seduce you.
7. We ask only for equal rights -- not "special rights".
8. Children are not sex objects.

...Ultimately the antipathy to homosexuality will die as conservative-leaning businessmen discover that homophobia is bad for business -- much as was the case with antisemitism and racism.

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 06:31:05 AM »

This is an unwelcome consequence of majority-of-a-majority politics in which one needs get a bare majority after which those who did not vote for one no longer matter. One can thoroughly offend 95% of those who 'voted wrong', and so long as the electorate does not change one keeps getting re-elected despite hating everything that one does. A bare majority in a state legislature becomes an excuse  to use government to abuse and offend the rest, and one can get away with any corruption while pandering to out-of-district interests at the expense of a near-majority of voters. 

"Majority of a majority" is how Bolshevism worked, if with incredibly cranky economics and political leadership devoid of conscience.

Such explains why Congress gets such abominable ratings.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies