Anyone notice younger posters are often annoying for trying to fill a role?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:57:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Anyone notice younger posters are often annoying for trying to fill a role?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anyone notice younger posters are often annoying for trying to fill a role?  (Read 1042 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 27, 2014, 01:40:03 AM »

It's part of why 20RP12 was so terrible and so many obvious teenage newbies are so bad, it's because they often feel like they fill some sort of ideological niche and need to base everything around that in trying to fulfill that role and persona. Much like what everyone quite accurately said about benconstine back in the day when the term "Moderate Hero" was invented (although as Xahar has pointed out, ben hasn't really changed much, some of his views might've but only because the center on those has shifted.) Here are some common "roles" annoying 15 year olds like to see themselves as:

-Very stereotypical libertarian.
-"Reasonable" libertarian who raves about how "small government" is so essential but tries to distance themselves from the "crazy" ones.
-True leftist
-"Old style" Democrat who is socially liberal but complains about how economic issues aren't getting enough attention and worships some stereotypical blue collar image. Or actually is kind of socially conservative or at least raves about the terrible socially liberal extremists who supposedly control the Democratic Party (think of Frodo five years ago.)
-"Reasonable" conservative who keeps talking about "values" and "limited government" but needs to emphasize how crazy those Tea Party people are and that they want nothing to do with them (and has all sorts of bold ideas for how the Republicans can easily win youth and minorities.)
-Kind of obsolete today but so common in the Bush era: The social democrat who is still SO STRONG on "national defense" and is kind of a hawk but opposed the Iraq War because Bush went too far/it was badly handled yet might've still supported Joe Lieberman 2006.
-Also a Bush years artifact: Made a big fuss about being moderate and critical of the Democrats but was still so anti-Bush and anti-Iraq War (aka Boris before college.)

And of course the Moderate Heroes, whether they worship some sort of Southern Democrat archetype, mythical liberal Northern Republican, or make a big fuss about supporting the most "centrist" party possible and always list "centrist" parties in those "What party would you vote for in this country?" polls even if said party is really just a personalist vehicle or front for a corrupt patronage machine (think the PASOK fanboys.) Yeah you can see what I mean. And of course annoying teenage posters aren't necessarily limited to just one persona, they tend to shift around them.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 02:22:44 AM »

And of course the Moderate Heroes, whether they worship some sort of Southern Democrat archetype

Is that a jab? Tongue
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 04:59:09 AM »

-"Old style" Democrat who is socially liberal but complains about how economic issues aren't getting enough attention and worships some stereotypical blue collar image. Or actually is kind of socially conservative or at least raves about the terrible socially liberal extremists who supposedly control the Democratic Party (think of Frodo five years ago.)

He doesn't do that still? Tongue
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 11:43:09 AM »

In early 2008 Frodo was a McCain supporter who felt the Democratic Party was being taken over by extremists who supported gay marriage instead of just civil unions. He still has some traits but nothing like back in the day.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 11:51:57 AM »

This thread is confusing. You're annoyed that people have an ideology?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 11:52:35 AM »

No, that they choose some sort of persona and then do everything to fit into it. Think of 20RP12.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 12:01:13 PM »

BRTD's just upset he's in his 30s now and isn't a "younger poster".
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 12:06:09 PM »

Actually I'm technically not "in my 30s". In fact I'm closer to being a 20something than a 30something for about three and a half months.

But I was talking about teenagers anyway. I've never been a "young poster"
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 12:14:09 PM »

Jesus Christ the irony
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 12:21:17 PM »

Jesus Christ the irony

It's only ironic if you assume ideology forces you to cut off your nose to spite your face. Wink
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 01:04:10 PM »

Or like BRTD and fetishizing communist strippers and the like back in 04/05 era.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 04:05:00 PM »

Actually I'm technically not "in my 30s". In fact I'm closer to being a 20something than a 30something for about three and a half months.

You've explained your reasoning for this before but it's still tedious hair-splitting that bears no relation to how most people use those terms.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 04:08:58 PM »

Adopting traits and behaviors just to signal your membership in a social or cultural group?  Yeah, BRTD, you certainly never would do something like that.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 05:01:52 PM »

The fact that your'e even rationalizing this just shows that you're worried about officially being an old.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 05:43:32 PM »

I'm assuming your talking about me when it comes to libertarians. I'm not at all trying to "fill a roll", in fact I don't really understand what your talking about. I come here to discuss things and update myself on politics and news. I've made a few ideological posts recently (which I should probably tone down) but I'm not at all trying to be a certain kind of person.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 08:21:07 PM »

Actually no I wasn't thinking of you at all.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 08:37:51 PM »

Adopting traits and behaviors just to signal your membership in a social or cultural group?  Yeah, BRTD, you certainly never would do something like that.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 08:40:37 PM »

The ironing in this thread... it burns.

Oh btw BRTD have you read, like, every third post I've made since about 2008?
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2014, 08:46:50 PM »

Or like BRTD and fetishizing communist strippers and the like back in 04/05 era.
Communist strippers are awesome: they believe in giving away their money so you eventually get some of it back.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2014, 09:34:19 PM »

The ironing in this thread... it burns.

Oh btw BRTD have you read, like, every third post I've made since about 2008?

To be fair to BRTD at least his role isn't some generic archetype.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2014, 01:51:49 PM »

Yes BRTD.

That's what puberty is like.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2014, 04:40:16 PM »

Perhaps you should tell them to take their irons off your skin.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2014, 03:11:47 AM »

Actually BRTD, I'd take this a step further and say it's not just young posters, it's most of America. I don't think most people actually sit down and when presented with a list of issues independently come to conclusions about the best course of action for each; I think almost everyone selects an ideology and self image, and then projects that ideology on to issues. It is very often the case in politics that when a person is really outraged about some issue it's less about the issue itself and more about expressing an ideological identity.

For example, here in Madison a bunch of male students decided to hand out roses to female students on the library mall for Valentine's Day. Somehow this ended up getting blown into some sort of campus wide argument about feminism, rape, and suppression. There were actually people here arguing that men handing roses to women encourages rape. Who on earth is really that offended by getting handed a flower!? I mean, really, chuck the thing in the trash if it bothers you that much. But some people feel a need to fulfill an identity as moving beyond gender stereotypes or something of that sort, and through that lens men handing women flowers is incredibly offensive.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies