Summary of political beliefs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:00:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 63
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 556490 times)
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1150 on: March 10, 2016, 09:04:06 PM »

Time for an update:

Ideology
Social: Fairly conservative, but somewhat less so than from my fundamentalist phase
Economic: Nationalist conservative
Foreign: Reserved
Political Registration:  Republican (despite I avatar)

Social Policy
Abortion: 100% pro-life except for life of mother and rape/incest
Same Sex Marriage: Mildly oppose
Drugs / Narcotics: Decriminalize, but heavily tax and strongly deter use;
Death Penalty: Support, expand its use to more crimes and reduce time between sentence and execution
Gun Control: 100% oppose
Affirmative Action: Only based on class
Prostitution: Keep it illegal
Right to Die: Assisted suicide should not be permitted IMO
PATRIOT Act/NSA Spying: support, but pretty indifferent
Immigration: Close the border, limit future immigration, deport or require most of those here illegally now to get out, except those who have been in the USA for 7+ years or so.  Also get rid of the H1B program to raise wages for skilled workers in the IT field.

Economic Policy
Minimum Wage: Raise it to $9-10 or so and index it to inflation.  Exempt areas with high unemployment if they vote to do so.
Welfare: Block-grant to states
Social Security:  privatize and/or block-grant
Right-to-Work: Support
Taxation: Flat national sales tax is the ideal
Obamacare: Not a big fan, though I'm OK with expanding Medicaid and some of the cost controls, I don't like the mandates
Trade: Re-negotiate NAFTA, TPP, etc. to help protect American workers.  
Climate Change: Invest more in alternative energy research, spend more on infrastructure to improve transmission efficiency in our grid
Alternative Energy Subsidies: support for R&D, not for existing companies
Keystone XL Pipeline: support
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1151 on: April 30, 2016, 05:52:50 PM »

Economic and Fiscal Issues : Moderate Conservative
Foreign Policy : Moderate Conservative
Domestic Issues: Centrist
Social Issues : Moderate Liberal

Now it is

Economic and Fiscal Issues: Conservative
Foreign Policy: Moderately Conservative
Domestic Policy :Moderately Conservative
Social Issues : Centrist
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #1152 on: April 30, 2016, 06:26:21 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2016, 10:16:08 PM by ExtremeRepublican »

Ideology

Social: Far-right
Economic: As right as it gets, but these issues are less important than social ones
National Security: Neo-con

Social Policy:
Abortion: 100% pro-life- THE MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE FACING OUR COUNTRY TODAY
Gay Marriage: Marriage should be between one man and one woman.  Of course, no one should have to provide service to a gay "wedding".
Drugs: Against
Stem Cell Research: None from aborted babies, adult stem cell research is fine
Death Penalty: Support in the most extreme of cases
Gun control: Oppose
Affirmative Action: Completely unconstitutional
Prayer in School: Allow individual students to pray as they choose
Transgender Bathrooms: Use bathrooms based on your birth gender (I have never been given proof that transgenderism is a real thing)

Economic Issues:
Minimum Wage: $0.00
Right-to-Work: In all 50 states and then get rid of unions
Taxation: National sales tax (we got along just fine with no income tax pre-1913)
Healthcare: Remove all restrictions on the free market, focus on HSAs to make consumers more cost-conscious
Social Security: Privatize it
Education: School choice and vouchers.  Make options for what grade school to go to more like college choices.
Balanced Budget Amendment: Support
Personhood Admendment: Support
Term Limits Admendment: Oppose
Free Trade: Support 100%- NAFTA, NATO, and the TPP make us all better off.  We should have no trade restrictions with any country that we aren't trying to punish.

Foreign Policy and National Security
Iran: Do not negotiate with terrorists
Iraq/Syria: Do anything necessary to combat ISIS
Military Spending: Increase
PATRIOT Act: Absolutely, and people who say no baffle me
NSA Spying: If you don't like it, what are you hiding?
Israel/Palestine: Support our only ally in a hostile region
Immigration: Make legal immigration easier, but crack down on border security.  We can't reasonably deport every illegal immigrant, but we have to never give illegals citizenship.

Environment
Climate Change: Natural, the Earth has gone through cycles forever
Green Energy: Let the free market decide
Keystone XL Pipeline: Support

Electoral Reform
Electoral College Reform: Oppose
Gerrymandering: Keep it as it is
Presidential term: Only 2 Terms
Public Financing: No
Term limits: No
Voter ID: Support to combat voter fraud
Primaries: More caucuses
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #1153 on: April 30, 2016, 07:57:10 PM »

Ideology

Economic Issues:
Taxation: National sales tax (we got along just fine with no income tax pre-1913)
Healthcare: Remove all restrictions on the free market, focus on HSAs to make consumers more cost-conscious
Education: School choice and vouchers.  Make options for what grade school to go to more like college choices.
How morally righteous of you.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #1154 on: April 30, 2016, 08:08:32 PM »

Ideology

Economic Issues:
Education: School choice and vouchers.  Make options for what grade school to go to more like college choices.
How morally righteous of you.

Such a christian and a moral person.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #1155 on: May 14, 2016, 03:41:56 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2016, 04:06:23 PM by EdgarAllenYOLO »

DISCLAIMER: Some of my answers on positions may be very vague. Also, some of my positions are basically the same as Speaker Kent’s

Ideology

Social: Relatively Liberal
Economic: center-right, tend to be pro-business
Foreign policy: “Realist”, focus more on what the geopolitical experts are saying
Environment: Liberal. We need to clean up the environment, promote sustainable energy, and deal with climate change.

Social Policy:
Abortion: Pro-choice, but keep the ban on partial-birth abortion. Keep abortion safe, legal, and rare by providing contraception and sex education as opposed to restricting abortion excluding partial-birth abortion.
Same Sex Marriage: Strongly support keeping gay marriage legal and strongly support anti-discrimination acts for LGBT people. LGBT citizens deserve equal lives and rights that heterosexuals have regardless of who they love or what gender they identify as.  
Drugs: Legalize marijuana and LSD, but oppose legalization of “hard drugs” such as cocaine, heroin, etc. Focus on rehabilitation for those suffering from drug addictions, rather than punishment
Death Penalty: Neutral, but lately I tend to lean against it due to the fact that innocent people have been put to death.
Gun control: It’s fine to increase measures to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill, but banning certain types of guns and restricting ammo is a “feel good measure” with no results. People deserve the 2nd amendment right to protect themselves and their families.
Affirmative Action: It’s a noble cause, but it’s seriously flawed. It should be significantly reformed or repealed.
Prostitution: Personally oppose, but legalize and regulate it.
Euthanasia: Legalize it, but make sure that the patient is fully aware what he/she is doing and has actively discussed with their doctor.

Economic Issues:
Minimum Wage: Keep the minimum wage as it is, but promote tax credits as an alternative to increasing the minimum wage. However, if the individual states or cities want to increase their minimum wage, let them.
Welfare: I have to research more on this before I make an informed opinion.
Right-to-Work: Lean towards supporting Right-To-Work. I support private sector unions, but I’m against public sector unions, which have become significantly corrupt.
Taxation: I support a progressive tax as opposed to a flat tax, but reduce taxes for middle/lower class citizens, reduce taxes on small businesses, and significantly cut corporate taxes while closing loopholes that allow them to hide money overseas.
Healthcare: I’m admittedly wishy-washy on healthcare. As long as the method prevents Americans from suffering extraordinarily high bills, and doesn’t blow a hole in the deficit, I support it. Obamacare should have its flaws reformed, but it should not be repealed as millions of Americans already depend on it. Singapore's healthcare system would probably be the best for this nation as opposed to single-payer healthcare
Social Security: I used to be in favor of privatizing social security, but I have since then switched to supporting social security. It is dangerous to trust people’s retirement savings to the mercy of the stock market, god forbid a massive crash happen again. Take off the wage cap, expand benefits, and slightly increase the social security payroll tax of .33% to cover the deficit.
Trade: Strongly support free trade, as it benefits a lot of people (especially the poor and developing nations) and keeps prices low. Protectionism and tariffs in general are dangerous ideas that will make the economy spiral out of control.
Education: (Copying Speaker Kent’s position) Increase funding, but abolish Common Core and get rid of most standardized testing. Offer completely free education in public universities to veterans, and offer low/no-interest student loans to students from low-income families. Support school vouchers as well.
Balanced Budget Amendment: Lean against it. It’s a noble cause, but the idea of government planning the budget like a household is nothing but a bumper-sticker slogan that has no basis in reality. There are more pragmatic ways that we can reduce spending, especially in a recession.

Afghanistan: (Copying Speaker Kent’s position) Should train the Afghan military to protect their country from the Taliban. Support.
Iraq: We should have not intervened, but an Iraq War was inevitable due to US/Iraqi tensions even before 9/11. Leaving Iraq so early only helped create a power vacuum that made Sunni/Shia tensions explode and lead to the rise of ISIS. However, it would have been impossible to convince the public to let the US stay longer in Iraq.
Iran: Support the current Iran deal, and only consider military action against Iran if it is absolutely certain that they will get a nuke, which Iran is currently unlikely to anyways.
Syria: (Copying Speaker Kent’s position) should have backed the moderate rebels when they were still around. Should be involved fighting ISIS via airstrikes and indirect support for Middle Eastern countries.
NATO/Russia: It's too late to abolish NATO without creating a power vacuum, but focus on reforming membership and also focus more on the danger of hybrid war rather than training for conventional warfare. However, Russia is highly unlikely to mess with the Baltic States due to the fact that it creates very little benefit and many problems for Russia, excluding the issue of a war with NATO. Do not accept Sweden and Finland into NATO as it will worsen tensions with Russia and make hardliners even more paranoid. Putin in general is a very rational and realist leader, and thus I don't lose any sleep over thought of war with Russia while he is at the controls.
Cuba: Open up relations with Cuba and promote trade with them. The embargo has failed to improve human rights and denies us economic investment opportunities.
PATRIOT Act: The FREEDOM Act is a better compromise.
NSA Spying: Stop spying on our allies, it only ruins our reputation abroad.
Israel/Palestine: No opinion
Immigration: Personally oppose amnesty for illegal immigrants, but it is our only option at this point due to the amount of them in this country. Increase border security, and allow states to decide how to manage their border with Mexico to prevent another mass influx of illegal immigrants.
Guantanamo Bay: Keep Guantanamo Bay open, but end the use of torture there, and make sure suspected terrorists receive a fair trial before sending them there to make sure no innocent person has been sent there by accident.

Environment

Climate Change: It won’t kill us all, but it will cause serious trouble to areas such as the Netherlands, Bangladesh, Florida, the Gulf States, etc. Work to reduce emissions and try to get China and India to do the same.
Green Energy: The transition will have to be slow due to the amount of people that depend on fossil fuel related jobs, but support transition to alternative energy. Strongly promote the construction of more nuclear power plants in safe locations

Keystone XL Pipeline: Oppose both for environmental and private property reasons.

Electoral Reform (Pretty much Speaker Kent’s positions)
Electoral College: Abolish in favor of an instant runoff voting system based on the popular vote.
Gerrymandering: Ban it and require that non-partisan organizations redraw the Congressional districts.
Term limits: Yes. Two four-year terms for President, six two-year terms for House members, three six-year terms for Senators, one ten-year term for Supreme Court justices.
Voter ID: Yes, but provide IDs upon registering to vote.
Compulsory Voting: No.
Voter Registration: Automatically register all citizens when they turn 18 and provide a free voter ID.
Statehood: Don’t make Puerto Rico a state due to their economic troubles, but make DC a state and give them one voting representative in the House, but no Senators.
Human
United States

« Reply #1156 on: June 21, 2016, 05:16:11 PM »

Ideology

Social: Left-wing
Economic: Centrist
Foreign policy: “Realist”
Environment: Liberal. We need to clean up the environment, promote sustainable energy and deal with climate change.

Social Policy:
Abortion: Pro-choice, I guess.
Same Sex Marriage: Strongly support
Drugs: Legalize marijuana, for both recreational and medical purposes. Keep "hard drugs" like cocaine and heroin illegal. Raise the smoking age to 21.
Death Penalty: Support, but it should be used extremely rarely.
Gun control: I support background checks, closing the gun show loophole, and prohibiting firearms to the individuals on the no-fly list.
Affirmative Action: I deeply oppose race-based affirmative action.
Prostitution: Support
Euthanasia: Legalize it
Immigration: I support immigration reform. Most illegal immigrants should be granted amnesty. I strongly oppose deporting illegals and building a wall along the southern border. Immigrants are good for the economy. H1-B visas are also good for the economy.

Economic Issues:
Minimum Wage: Raise it to $12 an hour.
Welfare: I support requiring welfare recipients to work.
Right-to-Work: Lean towards supporting Right-To-Work.
Taxation: I support eliminating the sales tax, cutting income taxes, and maintaining current tax rates for all other forms of taxation. I believe that mild tax cuts help the economy. 
Healthcare: I support Obamacare, but oppose a single-payer system.
Social Security: I support expanding Social Security benefits. We shouldn't cut Social Security or privatize it.
Trade: I strongly support free trade. I support TPP, NAFTA, etc.
Education: We should implement a school voucher program. I support repealing No Child Left Behind. We should increase funding for education.
Balanced Budget Amendment: This is an unrealistic idea.
Tort Reform: Support

Environment:
Climate Change: I believe that climate change is real. We should increase environmental regulations in order to combat climate change.
Green Energy: We should heavily invest in green energy.
Keystone XL Pipeline: Oppose both for environmental and private property reasons.

Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #1157 on: September 27, 2016, 08:53:38 PM »

Politcal Matrix Test
* (Critical)

1. The right to individual autonomy is important, even if it threatens collective security:
(Usually Disagree)

2. The government should penalize organizations that practice outsourcing.
(Agree*)

3. Giving faith-based charities the same government resources as secular organizations is a good idea.
(Disagree)

4. We should increase foreign aid to countries struggling with poverty.
(Usually Disagree)

5. We should increase funding for education.
(Neutral)

6. Heterosexual couples should receive higher marital recognition than same-sex couples. (Disagree*)

7. Overall, free trade hurts more than it helps.
(Agree*)

8. We should reduce the number of government programs substantially.
(Neutral)

9. Abortion should be illegal or very heavily restricted.
(Neutral)

10. The government should fund museums, theaters, and other cultural institutions that are unable to survive independently.
(Agree)

11. The government should subsidize health insurance for those who cannot easily afford it.
(Agree*)

12. The government should work to reduce children's exposure to offensive radio and television content.
(Neutral)

13. It is unfair that wealthier people pay higher tax rates.
(Disagree*)

14. The minimum wage should be raised.
(Neutral)

15. Marijuana should be legalized.
(Usually Disagree)

16. Society focuses too much on forcing equality at the expense of real merit.
(Usually Agree)

17. Violating individual rights is acceptable when it comes to fighting terrorism.
(Neutral)

18. Current levels of government regulation on industry are excessive.
(Neutral)

19. The government should provide basic needs for all people.
(Agree*)

20. The death penalty should be an option for serious crimes.
(Neutral)

21. We should reduce the difficulty of immigration.
(Usually Disagree)

22. Union workers should be protected against being fired during strikes.
(Usually Agree*)

23. Prostitution should be legalized.
(Usually Disagree*)

24. Flag burning should be banned.
(Usually Disagree)

25. I support affirmative action.
(Usually Disagree)

26. The government should impose tariffs to protect industries from foreign competition.
(Agree*)

27. Physician-assisted suicide should be legal if the patient is capable of informed, rational consent.(Usually Disagree)

Economic Score: (-4.00)
Social Score (0.00)

Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1158 on: October 18, 2016, 04:51:41 PM »

Overview
Social: Conservative
Economic: Free Market Capitalism
National Security: Moderately NeoConservative
Party Affiliation : Republican (The Lincoln/Reagan Kind, not the Donald Trump facade)
-
Social Policy:
Abortion: ProLife
Gay Marriage: I support Civil Unions, not marriage.
Drug Laws: I support strong drug laws.
Stem Cell Research: None from aborted babies, adult stem cell research is fine
Death Penalty: Oppose
Increased Gun control: Oppose
Transgender Bathrooms: Use bathrooms based on your birth gender

Economic Issues:
Minimum Wage: Do Not increase
Taxation: Flat or FairTax
Healthcare: Repeal ACA, open state lines to allow competition
Social Security: Roll Back the payout date to account for life expectancy increases.
Education: School choice and vouchers. 
Term Limits Admendment: The PEOPLE are the term limits.
Free Trade: Support

[/b
]Iran: Tear the Iran deal in half.
Iraq/Syria: Use military force to crush ISIS swiftly
PATRIOT Act: OPPOSE, It is Unconstitutional
NSA Spying: OPPOSE, it is unconstitutional
Israel/Palestine: STRONGLY support Israel
Immigration: Step1- Secure the border and establish E-Verify (if a faucet is overflowing, first turn off the water, then handle the water left inside) ; step 2- streamline the legal immigration process and reform it; step 3- have those here illegally for over 10 years with no criminal record put in the back of the line to apply for citizenship. NO citizenship until the border is secure and almost all illegal immigration is handled. NO SWEEPING AMNESTY

Environment
Climate Change: It is natural
Green Energy: Free the market and stop subsidizing green energy AND oil, gas, etc

Electoral Reform
Gerrymandering: Independent commission
Term limits: It is called having elections.
Voter ID: Support
Primaries: Adopt the democrat system of universal allocation per state percentage; allow state to determine primary or caucus; no super delegates
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #1159 on: October 18, 2016, 05:24:13 PM »

Overview
Economic: Conservative
National Security: Hawkish
Party Affiliation : Republican

Social Policy:
Abortion: 100% Pro-Life, no exceptions
Gay Marriage: 1 Man, 1 Woman, Always
Drug Laws: Keep all illegal drugs illegal and take societial steps to lower alcohol use
Stem Cell Research: Never from aborted babies, otherwise fine
Death Penalty: Support only for mass murder
Sex: Work in the culture to stigmatize any sex outside of a serious relationship.  Strongly condemn hookups and one night stands.
Transgender Bathrooms: Oppose- you are a man or a woman at birth and can't change it
Religious Liberty/Freedom of Conscience: No one who doesn't want to should have to have anything to do with a gay "wedding"
Discrimination: Discrimination is generally wrong, but businesses should have the right to discriminate against anyone for any reason.  Then, the free market will cause people to boycott the establishment if they are really being discriminatory.

Economic Issues:
Minimum Wage: Abolish
Taxation: Consumption tax, abolish income tax
Healthcare: Repeal Obamacare, open state lines to allow competition, encourage use of HSA's
Social Security: Gradually phase out
Education: School choice and vouchers. 
Term Limits Admendment: The PEOPLE are the term limits.
Free Trade: Support without limits.  This has been one of the most discouraging things about 2016.

Iran: Repeal the Iran Deal and try to establish a secular democracy or kingdom
Iraq/Syria: Use military force to crush ISIS swiftly
PATRIOT Act: Support to stop terrorism
NSA: Support to stop terrorism
Israel/Palestine: Support Israel, our only ally in the region
Immigration: Crack down on border security to make sure no more illegals enter the country.  Abolish sanctuary cities.  But, allow anyone who will benefit our economy to come here legally.

Environment
Climate Change: Naturally occurring, nothing to worry about
Green Energy: Free the market and stop subsidizing green energy AND oil, gas, etc

Electoral Reform
Gerrymandering: Let states handle it
Term limits: It is called having elections.
Executive Agencies: Abolish about half of them, including the EPA
Early Voting: Support (in-person only)
Absentee Voting: Not unless you are actually outside the state for the entire early voting period and on Election Day.  No voting by mail.
Primaries: Close primaries and award more delegates to states with caucus systems.  Let the voters vote in some shape or form on the delegates (I like Tennessee's system, but several are fine).  Some hybrid between proportional and WTA, moving closer to WTA (but never all the way there- maybe semi-proportional statewide and WTA by congressional district) as the convention grows closer.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1160 on: October 18, 2016, 06:38:08 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2017, 03:52:03 PM by Senator Scott »

Ideology
Social: Civil libertarian
Economic: Social democrat
Foreign: Left-wing nationalist.  (Mostly) non-interventionist.
Political Registration: Registered D in North Carolina, soon-to-be unaffiliated

Social Policy
Abortion: Completely pro-choice.  Support repealing the Hyde Amendment.
Same Sex Marriage: Strongly support.
Drugs / Narcotics: Legalize marijuana and decriminalize all drugs.  Reduce or streamline regulations for prescription medications.  Abolish the DEA.
Stem Cell Research: Support.
Death Penalty: Oppose.  I also believe that life imprisonment should be limited to heinous crimes and that prisons should be rebuilt to isolate inmates and focus on rehabilitation for criminals, similar to Norway.
Gun Control: Mostly oppose.  Support background checks.
School Prayer: Support voluntary, non-led prayer.  I also believe students should be allowed to form private religious and Bible Study groups if they desire.
Affirmative Action: Mixed/Lean against.
Prostitution: Legalize it and regulate it, but don't glamorize sex work as a profession.  Ban pimping.
Bathrooms: Ridiculous non-issue; either open gender neutral bathrooms or let transgender people go to the bathroom that matches their gender.
Right to Die: Support in all circumstances; I believe an individual should legally be allowed to end their life for any reason.

Economic Policy
Minimum Wage: I'm very sympathetic to #FightFor15 and adjusting the minimum wage to inflation, provided that the tax system is reformed for small businesses to afford it.
Welfare: Expand benefits in exchange for reforming the tax code (see below).
Social Security: Lower the retirement age to 55.  Eliminate the payroll tax cap.
Education: Fix broken schools instead of closing them.  Repeal Common Core and NCLB.  Reform the curriculum and teaching in general in a way that's similar to Finnish education.
Right-to-Work: Completely oppose.
Taxation: Adopt a VAT tax model similar to Canada and European countries.  The US has the most progressive tax code of any other developed country, but revenue is not distributed in a progressive manner.  So as far as taxation and spending are concerned, on principle I'd favor a less progressive tax code in exchange for more progressive wealth redistribution.
Obamacare: Keep most parts of it, expand on it and introduce a public option.  Negotiate drug prices and give families and individuals tax credits if their monthly spending on prescriptions exceeds a certain portion of their income.  (This is basically Hillary Clinton's plan.)
Trade: Re-negotiate NAFTA and existing trade deals which curtail environmental and labor protections.  Oppose TPP.
Climate Change: Implement a carbon tax or cap-and-trade and invest in renewables.  Support the Paris Agreement.
Keystone XL Pipeline: Oppose.
Poverty: Pass a stimulus bill for impoverished states and communities, especially those where jobs have been displaced thanks to increased automation and outsourcing.  Retrain coal workers and people in manufacturing to work in more advanced fields of their respective industries.

Iran: Support the Iran Deal.
Iraq/Syria: Aid NATO and Russia to defeat ISIS.
Military Spending: Drastically reduce, close down military bases where they are no longer necessary, and gradually shrink US influence on foreign affairs in general.
PATRIOT Act: Repeal unwarranted wiretapping and library records provisions.
NSA: Reform the department and only collect private information if a warrant is issued on an individual.
Israel/Palestine: Endorse peace negotiations and Palestinian statehood, but slash funding to Israel and scale down US involvement in the Middle East.
Immigration: Divert attention from "securin muh border" and focus more on visa overstays, which is a much bigger problem in the immigration debacle.  Penalize employers who hire and exploit undocumented migrants for cheap labor.  Support a comprehensive pathway to citizenship with job training and English programs.

Electoral Reform
Electoral College Reform: Strongly support.  Abolish the electoral college and elect the President via popular vote, with instant-runoff/ranked voting.
Gerrymandering: Switch to a proportional voting system for each state.
Public Financing: Support.
Term limits: Oppose.
Voter ID: Oppose.
Early Voting: Support expanding.
Absentee Voting: Support expanding.
Primaries: Make all primaries open and abolish caucuses and superdelegates.  I'm partial to the more radical change to a 'National Primary Day' with IRV, but it's not something I've spent much time thinking about.

I'm neutral on the question of continuing to let Iowa and New Hampshire hold the first contests, but if we had to switch I'd prefer a state which best adequately represents all racial groups and has a good mix of rural and urban voters.  (Missouri and North Carolina might be good fits for that.)

Corruption/Lobbying/Government Reform/etc.
- Prohibit ex-politicians from working for lobbying firms
- Prohibit lobbyists from bundling political contributions for politicians
- Mandate full disclosure of campaign contributions
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1161 on: October 18, 2016, 11:50:00 PM »

Ideology

Social: Cultural moderate with libertarian instincts
Economic: Far right
Foreign Policy: Somewhere in between a Nixonian realist and non-interventionist
Political Registration: Registered as a Republican to vote in the presidential primary, view myself as an NPA

Social Policy
Abortion: I used to be hard-line Pro-Life because that was the environment I was raised in. Ultimately if you were to repeal Roe vs. Wade or somehow ban abortion in all 50 states the results would be pretty catastrophic. I'd support keeping Roe vs. Wade but regulating abortion far more than Democrats want to do.

Same-Sex Marriage: Support
Drugs: Legalize weed, decriminalize hard drugs
Stem-Cell Research: Support
Death Penalty: Oppose, simply because the risk of executing an innocent person far exceeds whatever "benefits" you get from capital punishment. I don't see anything morally wrong with a murderer being executed, though.
Gun Control: Generally pro-gun
Affirmative Action: Against unless there's some kind of practical justification for it, like hiring more black police officers in a black neighborhood or getting more Aboriginal doctors in Australia since they're the only ones who go to the aboriginal areas, exc.
Prostitution: Legalize and regulate
Bathrooms: I genuinely don't care, as in, I don't care if transpeople use the bathroom they want or if you have to use the bathroom of your birth gender. The fact that people view this as important enough to be discussed at the presidential level is pathetic.
Euthanasia: Support with the proper safeguards.

Economic Policy

Minimum Wage: Abolish
Social Security: Raise the retirement age and/or means test it, amongst some other structural reforms too complex to get into here.
Right to work: Oppose, one of my surprising positions
Taxation: In a perfect world I'd abolish the income tax, but at present I'd start a 50ish percent tax on the wealthy and keep other taxes the same to reduce the deficit.
Obamacare: Repeal and replace with either a voucher system or just keeping the popular elements of the bill while getting rid of the exchanges/individual mandate and adding some market reforms, like buying across state lines (I throw up a little in my mouth on the rare occasion when I agree with Trump)
Trade: Support TPP and keeping NAFTA as is. I'm open to other trade deals. I'm about as Neo-liberal as it gets.
Keystone: Support
Balanced Budget Amendment: Support something like it with plenty of exceptions. Unless there's a specific "excuse" the government shouldn't run a deficit.
Term Limits: Support

Iran Deal: Support
Syria: Focus on destroying ISIS
Military Spending: Cut by about a quarter, closing non strategically important bases is a good way to start.
Patriot Act: Oppose
Israel/Palestine: They're not perfect but I generally support Israel
Immigration: Before Trump and his nonsense I would have been considered somewhat hawkish on this. Send the National Guard to the border and give block grants to police forces in border areas. Don't build a wall, it won't work and is a waste of money. Grant amnesty to non-violent illegals already here, make immigration simpler and easier, and create a guest worker program.
Russia: Work at improving relations, don't antagonize them for no reason, coexist. The United States and Russia (as well as China) working together and having peace is vital to the security of the world. Do all of this without becoming a sock-puppet apologist for Putin's regime, like Trump is.
Afghanistan: It seems like we should really be out of there by now.
evergreenarbor

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: -8.43

« Reply #1162 on: October 19, 2016, 02:16:53 AM »

Ideology

Social: Largely liberal with some left-wing communitarian impulses
Economic: Left-wing
Foreign Policy: Noninterventionist in most cases
Political Registration: No party registration in WA; would register as a Democrat if there was

Social Policy
Abortion: Pro-choice, willing to accept some restrictions on late-term abortion
Same-Sex Marriage: Support strongly
Drugs: Decriminalize all drugs (Portugal model), legalize marijuana
Stem-Cell Research: Support
Death Penalty: Oppose strongly
Gun Control: Support
Affirmative Action: Support
Prostitution: Unsure - the most important thing is eliminating trafficking and abuse
Bathrooms: I'm trans and I like not being harassed when I use the bathroom. Gender and sex are distinct and people should use the bathroom that corresponds with their gender identity (or a gender-neutral bathroom).
Euthanasia: Support

Economic Policy
Minimum Wage: Raise and tie to inflation
Social Security: Keep public and don't raise the retirement age
Right to work: Oppose strongly (likes unions)
Taxation: Increase taxation on wealthy, reduce WA sales tax and introduce a state income tax
Obamacare: Protect/expand, but I would prefer universal healthcare
Trade: Generally pro-trade if labor rights and the environment are protected (anti-TPP)
Keystone: Oppose strongly
Balanced Budget Amendment: Oppose
Poverty: Address poverty through government intervention: higher minimum wage, better unemployment benefits, improving schools, etc.

Political Reform
Electoral College: Abolish, replace with national popular vote with ranked choice voting
Gerrymandering: Establish nonpartisan commissions in each state to redraw districts (works well for Washington)
Public financing: Support strongly
Term limits: Neutral, lean oppose
Voter ID laws: Oppose strongly
Early/absentee voting: Support strongly
Vote by mail: Support strongly
Voter registration: Automatically register all citizens at 18 years old
Primaries: Make all primaries open. Use only primaries to allocate delegates, not caucuses. Establish regional rotation in primaries: one cycle the South goes first, the next the Midwest goes first, etc.

Iran Deal: Support strongly
Syria: Too messy for me to come up with an answer
Military Spending: Cut waste wherever possible
Patriot Act: Oppose strongly
Israel/Palestine: Both are seriously flawed. Israel has a right to exist but shouldn't be putting so many settlements in Palestinian territory and it should respect the rights of all of its citizens regardless of religion or ethnicity. Pro two-state solution.
Immigration: Make it easier to immigrate legally, address root causes of illegal immigration (poverty in Latin America/Asia)
Russia: Oppose Russian actions in Ukraine and Syria without antagonizing them to the point of war
Afghanistan: Withdraw troops as soon as possible

Environmental Issues
Climate change: The biggest threat facing our planet. Anyone who doesn't believe it exists is scientifically illiterate.
Green energy: Switch to green energy as quickly as possible.
Coal: End coal mining as soon as possible, establish some sort of program to help coal miners re-integrate into the workforce to avoid turning West Virginia into a giant Youngstown
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1163 on: October 19, 2016, 02:18:55 AM »
« Edited: October 19, 2016, 02:25:21 AM by Santander »

Overview
Economic: Moderate Conservative
National Security: Assertive
Party Affiliation: Republican

Social Policy:
Abortion: Pro-life, but will support measures that make exceptions for rape, incest and life of the mother. Criminalize sex-selective abortions
Same-sex marriage: Prefer civil unions, but accept the law of the land as long as religious liberties are respected
Drug Laws: Oppose legalization of marijuana or any other drugs, but support sentencing reform
Stem Cell Research: Oppose embryonic stem cell research
Death Penalty: Reserve for military use for treason, mutiny, sedition and terrorism
School Prayer: Promote student-led school prayer and religious expression
Transgender Bathrooms: Ambivalent - a solution in search of a problem
Religious Liberty: Support unequivocally, but religious liberty cannot always be a bulwark for businesses against serving people they are morally opposed to
Discrimination: Support anti-discrimination laws for both public and private entities, including on the grounds of sexual orientation
Euthanasia: Strongly oppose, and support heavy criminal penalties for all involved in such activities
Prostitution: Oppose legalization, increase scrutiny for single women seeking tourist or language school visas to enter the US from countries known to export sex workers

Economic Issues:
Minimum Wage: Oppose in principle at the federal level, but any minimum wage laws passed at either state or federal level should be indexed to inflation
Right-to-Work: Oppose
Income Taxation: Abolish worldwide taxation and switch to territorial flat taxation for coporations and moderately progressive residency-based taxation for individuals
Healthcare: Repeal every single word of Obamacare, strongly oppose universal healthcare
Food Stamps/Section 8: Oppose
Social Security: Transition to a sliding scale retirement savings subsidy
Education: Oppose vouchers, support the public school system
Balanced Budget Amendment: Oppose
Term Limits: Oppose
Free Trade: Support in principle, but trade policy should be weaponized to achieve American foreign policy goals

Iran: Withdraw from Iran deal
Iraq/Syria: Ground invasion to destroy ISIS
Military Spending: Fund with whatever levels required to achieve foreign policy goals, but require more financial accountability from the Pentagon
PATRIOT Act: Support
NSA: Support
Israel/Palestine: Stand unequivocally with Israel and assist in efforts for a permanent two-state solution
Immigration: Crack down on illegal immigration, greatly reduce family-based migration, abolish birthright citizenship, crack down on Indian abusers of H-1B visas. Tighten immigration quotas from nations other than the EU, Canada and Mexico.

Environment
Climate Change: It's real, but our research efforts should be on adapting our lifestyles to the changing conditions instead of trying to reverse history. The market will become more efficient if environmental externalities are priced into the market, but not through carbon taxes or cap and trade
Green Energy: Oppose subsidies or other preferential treatment because they create a culture of dependency on government regarding green technologies and solutions and artificially redirect the flow of capital in the market
Environmental Reporting: Support voluntary triple bottom line and other holistic reporting systems for both private and public entities

Electoral Reform
Gerrymandering: Non-partisan drawing of districts
Presidential term limits: Support status quo
Public Financing: Oppose
Term limits: Oppose for all offices other than President
Executive Agencies: Reform to meet the constitutional duties of the federal government in the modern age
Early Voting: Support, with cause
Absentee Voting: Support, with cause, but abolish expat voting for expats who have lived abroad for more than 5 years
Primaries: Abolish, end partisan voter registration and require parties to fund and organize their own caucuses for candidate nomination
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1164 on: October 19, 2016, 02:58:21 AM »
« Edited: October 19, 2016, 09:26:48 AM by Moderate Hero »

Update

Overview
Social: Moderate
Foreign Policy: Assertive

Social Policy:
Abortion: Pro Choice for first 4 months
Same-sex marriage: Prefer civil unions, but accept the law of the land
Drug Laws: Legalize Pot , and reduce sentences for nonviolent drug crimes
Death Penalty: Support
Increased Gun control: Increase for assault rifles
School Prayer: Student choice
Discrimination: Support anti-discrimination laws for both public and private corporations, including on the grounds of sexual orientation, but small business refusing some services shouldnt count in anti discrimination laws.

Economic Issues:
Minimum Wage: Raise to 10 dollars and index to inflation
 Taxation: 0,8,16,24,32 as income tax rates , and removing many deductions for people making over a million dollars except if they hire a lot of people or invest a lot of money into the economy
Healthcare: Status quo
Regulations: Increase Regulations on Banks but significantly decrease on small business
Welfare: Make people who receive welfare get job training, or work on an infrastructure project
Social Security: Raise age to 68
Education: Support Vouchers for kids in failing schools, but also funding better tutoring services in schools.
Balanced Budget Amendment: Opposes but support balancing the budget without increasing taxes in years of economic expansion .

Iran: Support Iran deal but with inspections every 6 months with threat to double the sanctions if the violate the treaty
War on ISIS: Go all out to defeat them including ground forces
Afghanistan: Leave
Philosophy: Dont get involved unless it directly affects US security and interests
Military Spending: Cut spending by 15-25% , by eliminating cold war relics and waste
PATRIOT Act: Oppose
NSA: Support with a warrant
Israel/Palestine: Stand  with Israel and assist in efforts for a permanent two-state solution
Immigration: Support more skilled immigrants to come here and get green cards, and punish employees for hiring illegal immigrants

Environment
Climate Change: It's real, and  our research efforts should go to create more financially efficient alternative energy products.
Green Energy: Support tax credits

Electoral Reform
Electoral College Reform: End winner take all and go to proportional
Gerrymandering: Non-partisan drawing of districts
Presidential term limits:  status quo
Financing: Only people who will be represented by the candidate in the election should be able to donate to it
Term limits: Oppose for all offices other than President
Early Voting: Support, with cause
Absentee Voting: Support
Primaries: Make it directly proportional
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1165 on: October 19, 2016, 04:26:35 AM »

Taxation: 0,8,16,24,32 as income tax rates , and removing many deductions for people making over a million dollars except if they hire a lot of people or invest a lot of money into the economy
Regulations: Increase Regulations on Banks but significantly decrease on small business
Welfare: Make people who receive welfare get job training, or work on an infrastructure project

Iran: Support Iran deal but with inspections every 6 months with threat to double the sanctions if the violate the treat
Philosophy: Dont get involved unless it directly affects US security and interests
Military Spending: Cut spending by 15-25% , by eliminating cold war relics and waste
I think you need to look up what the words Conservative and Assertive mean.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1166 on: October 19, 2016, 08:52:59 AM »

Ideology
Social: Liberal and progressive; somewhat between center-left and left
Economic: I believe in free markets and capitalism, but regulations are necessary, government must protect the poor and the middle-class
Foreign: Favor diplomacy, military action only for self-defense and anti-terrorism operations. Decrease military spending
Political Registration: Proud Democrat

Social Policy
Abortion: 100% pro-choice
Same Sex Marriage: Support
Drug policy: Decriminalize, but tax and regulate
Death Penalty: Oppose
Gun Control: Strongly support/demilitarize cops
Prostitution: Legalize it with strong regulations
Right to Die: Assisted suicide should be permitted in cases of illness like cancer
PATRIOT Act/NSA Spying: mainly oppose, but in favor of surveillance of terrorist suspects
Immigration: Reform the current system, offer a pathway to citizenship for illegals who did not commit crimes
Guantanamo: Unconstitutional, close it.

Economic Policy
Minimum Wage: Raise it to $15 nationally and automatic raises with inflation
Welfare: Generally support
Social Security:  strengthen the system, expand benefits
Right-to-Work: Oppose
Taxation: Raise taxes on wealthy, close loopholes for big corporations. Cut taxes for middle-class and working poor
Obamacare: Support, though I prefer single-payer
Trade: Support, though agreements should be held to higher standards
Climate Change: Move to 100% renewable energy within the next decades. Regulate pollution. Ban fracking.
Keystone pipeline: oppose
Fiscal policy: Oppose balanced-budget amendment. Deficit spending when necessary, but minimalize and pay back depth in econmoic sound times. Cut defense spending to lower deficit.
Equal pay for equal work: strongly support
Wall Street: Support strong regulations. Never again should taxpayers rescue big banks.

Other stances:
Citizens United: Must be overturned
Gerrymandering: Establish non-partisan redistricting commission
Term limits: Oppose
Primaries: Only open primaries; delegates awarded only proportionally
Common core: Support
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1167 on: October 19, 2016, 09:31:38 AM »

Iran: Support Iran deal but with inspections every 6 months with threat to double the sanctions if the violate the treat

Except it clearly is conservative as the economic plan supports tax cuts and major ones at that for the middle class and small business, replaces welfare with workfare , deregulates the economy in every area except the bank sector , and I support cutting domestic spending
Tiger front
Rookie
Czech Republic
Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: 3.13

« Reply #1168 on: October 19, 2016, 10:22:41 AM »

Overview
National Security: Lean hawkish
Party Affiliation : Republican

Social Policy:
Abortion: Pro-life, exception for danger for mother's health
Gay Marriage: Oppose
Drug Laws: Keep all illegal drugs illegal
Stem Cell Research: Oppose
Death Penalty: Support for mass murder
Prayer in School: Support for student-led prayer
Transgender Bathrooms: Oppose - there are only men and women
Religious Liberty/Freedom of Conscience: Support for religious liberty and
Discrimination: No discrimination, but I oppose affirmative actions

Economic Issues:
Minimum Wage: Not increase
Taxation: Abolish income tax
Healthcare: Repeal Obamacare, no to nationalizing of healthcare
Social Security: Support for privatized Social Security
Education: School choice, oppose Common Core
Term Limits Admendment: Oppose
Free Trade: Strongly support

Foreign Policy and National Security:
Iran: Not involve for now
Iraq/Syria: Crash ISIS with military
PATRIOT Act: Support
NSA: Support, it can stops terrorism
Israel/Palestine: Support for Israel
Immigration: Stronger border security, support for legal immigration

Environment:
Climate Change: Exists, but isn't so serious problem
Green Energy: Let market decide about it

Electoral Reform:
Gerrymandering: Let states decide
Presidential term: 2 terms
Public Financing: Oppose
Term limits: Oppose, term limits are election
Executive Agencies: Abolish some of them
Early Voting: Support
Absentee Voting: Oppose
Primaries: Close primaries, oppose superdelegates
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1169 on: October 23, 2016, 06:08:49 AM »

Ideology in general
Social: Liberal/progressive
Economic: Moderate, Social market economy, fiscal conservative
Foreign: Diplomacy first, use force when needed. Lean to oppose regime change

Social Policy
Abortion: Pro-choice
Same Sex Marriage: Support
Drug policy: Allow soft drugs, regulate sale and tax; hard drugs should remain illegal
Sentencing laws: Support tough sentencing laws for violent crime
Gun Control: Support common-sense regulations like background checks
Prostitution: Legalize with strong regulations
Right to Die: Support assistance for deadly illnesses
Immigration: Support path to citizenship, reform immigration system, deport criminals, secure border
Guantanamo: Close

Economic Policy
Minimum Wage: Raise to $15 nationally and automatic raises with inflation
Welfare: Support as long as not abused
Right-to-Work: Support; but support also strong unions
Fiscal policy: Fiscal conservative. Make government more efficent, fight waste and fraud.
Taxation: Progressive tax. Raise taxes on wealthy, cut for small businesses and middle class
Banking sector: Strong regulations to avoid another recession
Obamacare: Support, but prefer universal health care
Trade: Support free trade, but should not interfere with common interests and lower certain standards.
Climate Change: Should be taken very seriously. Fight emmissions, move to renewables.
Keystone pipeline: Oppose

Other issues:
Presidential term: expand to five years, two consecutive terms allowed (Senate also five years, House 2,5 years. No term limit).
Primaries: Move them from April to June; shortens endless campaigns in combination with a five-year term
Line-item veto: support
Electoral college: Abolish; vote by popular vote
Gerrymandering: Nonpartisan commission for redistricting
Supreme Court: Appointments for 12 years. No re-appointment.
Campaign finance: should be more transparent; mixed between public and private funding. End super-pacs.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1170 on: October 23, 2016, 04:44:22 PM »

Except it clearly is conservative as the economic plan supports tax cuts and major ones at that for the middle class and small business, replaces welfare with workfare , deregulates the economy in every area except the bank sector , and I support cutting domestic spending
Again, look up the definition of Conservative. If you are pulling levers based on dollar figures, you do not actually have a coherent ideology.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1171 on: December 07, 2016, 09:53:46 PM »

Thought I would update this since it's been over two years:

Social:

Abortion: Illegal, except in the case of the life of the mother. No federal funding. Open to legal abortion in cases where the fetus is known to have severe genetic disabilities (e.g. those that make one have a vegetable-style life), and would approve a rape/incest exception if it was the only way to get a nationwide abortion ban passed, but no further than that.

Gay Marriage: It's settled law. Enough Said.

Drugs: Lower the drinking age to 18. Full legalization of Marijuana for those 18 and older with a substantial excise tax. For other currently illegal drugs, fully and honestly reevaluate their current scheduling according to medical use and user risk, and make a decision on partial or full legalization based on that. However, end long prison terms for non-violent offenders and instead enroll them in a mandatory treatment program, perhaps with 1-3 years in prison for repeat offenders.

Death Penalty: Only allowed if it is a first-degree murder case with irrefutable evidence that the defendant is guilty, approved by at least two separate guilt-determining jury trials (the second trial would happen automatically given a guilty verdict in the first, no appeal approval process required). Dramatically reduce time spent on death row, and use the guillotine instead of lethal injection.

Gun Control: Expand background checks to all gun shows and the entire internet. Undecided on Assault Weapons Ban. Nothing else.

Affirmative Action: Opposed. This is just a bunch of prejudice against whites.

Prostitution: Opposed, but would probably just leave it up to the states if I was in the federal government as there are much bigger issues to deal with.

Euthansia: Allowed, but only in cases where the patient and/or all living parents have given willful consent and there is a 0% chance of recovery.

Embryonic Stem Cell Research: Opposed.

Fiscal:

Federal Minimum Wage: Raise gradually ($0.75 - $1) each year towards an ultimate goal of $15. After that, raise each year according to inflation.

Welfare: Yes, but require one to be working or be enrolled in some sort of job training program after the first six months.

Right to Work: Yes, but in a way that still keeps unions intact.

Income Tax: Substantially reduce loopholes and deductions, open to very small rate decrease for those making less than $200,000 (e.g. 1-2%).

FAIR Tax: Opposed

Corporate Tax: Drastically reduce loopholes and deductions, lower top rate to 28%.

Balanced Budget Amendment: Yes. Require a balanced budget by fiscal 2032, with exceptions for declared war that is actually being fought (i.e. congress can't use this exception unless U.S. soldiers are actually fighting in the country we've declared war against), and severe recessions (underemployment >= 15%) .

Healthcare: Keep ObamaCare, but revise it. I have many things in mind: 40 hours, not 30 hours, should be considered full-time, work to dramatically lower premiums, allow a small number of health insurance companies that provide most but not all 'Obamacare-mandated' benefits to still exist for people that don't need full coverage (ex. people that don't need maternity-related services), continue to improve the website, switch birth control to being covered just like any other prescription with a reasonable co-pay, repeal the medical device tax, forbid business owners from laying off or firing people solely because of Obamacare-related costs, and require all hospitals and doctors to accept insurance policies purchased on the website, no exceptions.

Medicare: Gradually raise retirement age for people under 55.

Social Security: Eliminate payroll tax cap but lower payroll tax rate to 4.2% for those making under $200,000. Gradually raise retirement age for people under 55.

Common Core: Opposed.

Foreign:

Afghanistan: Get Out. We've been there long enough.

Further Action in Iraq: Opposed.

Iran: I support the Iran Deal.

Israel: Continue to be an ally, but respect its sovereignty and do not dictate its foreign or domestic policy.

Syria: Leave them alone.

Cuba: End the travel ban, gradually reestablish U.S.-Cuba trade.

Military Spending: Cut it by $200 Billion immediately, then freeze for 15 years - no exceptions, not even for inflation, unless approved by a 2/3 majority of both houses of congress and the president.

Foreign Economic Aid: I support the 'Newt Gingrich' view here. Eliminate it completely, and then have countries justify why we should give them a penny.

Entering into War: Must always be formally declared by congress. Enforce the War Powers Act. Only enter into war if we have been attacked or there is a very serious risk of us being attacked.

PATRIOT Act: Support in its current form

Guantanamo Bay: Keep it open, but give potential prisoners a full jury trial in federal court.

Immigration Reform: Support the 'Marco Rubio' plan passed by the U.S. Senate in 2013.

Other:

Keystone XL: Approve as long as U.S. actually uses some of the oil itself rather than exporting all of it.

Standing Rock: Find a route that doesn't impede on Native American territory

Energy: Support North American Energy Independence. Pro-Coal. Let the market work out renewable energy use.

Climate Change: It exists, but the claims that Florida will sink into the ocean in 50 years or whatever are probably hogwash. Undecided on the exact extent of government actions that are merited to try to address it.

Teaching Creationism/Teaching Evolution: Evolution should be taught, but teachers should openly address the question of divine involvement or control, and present arguments on both sides of that question. Young Earth Creationism and "Gap Theory" should not be taught.

Electoral College: Keep

Gerrymandering: Eliminate with shortest-splitline method

Size of U.S. House: Increase to 600 members

Congressional Term Limits: 6 terms for the house, 2 for the senate

Statehood of Puerto Rico: Supportive

Voter ID: No strong opinion either way. Would read proposed bill carefully before making a decision.

Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #1172 on: December 08, 2016, 05:38:22 PM »

me irl

VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #1173 on: December 08, 2016, 06:23:16 PM »

Ideology
Social: Conservative on some issues left leaning on others
Economic: Center-left, populist
Foreign: Realist
Registration: Democrat (and always will be) and Liberal Party of Canada

Social
Abortion: Pro-life yet semi pro-choice. I believe abortion should be made as rare as possible and that it should be banned after 20 weeks with the regular exceptions. I strongly oppose repealing the Hyde Amendment.
Immigration: The system needs to be reformed to provide those here currently with a path to citizenship and to make the legal immigration easier. I'm generally pretty pro-immigrant.
Same Sex Marriage: I think marriage equality is great.
Death Penalty: I oppose the death penalty.
Drug Policy: Shift away from prison time for low-level drug possession-potheads should not be imprisoned. For harder drugs, focus more on rehabilitation, drug education to encourage avoidance, and cracking down on pill mills/over-prescription. Also make sure officers can administer Narcan.
Guns: I support the second amendment. I also believe background checks should be universal and am conflicted on an assault rifle ban.
Euthanasia: I do support physician assisted suicide.
Black Lives Matter: BLM has brought many important issues to the forefront of the political debate and I can confidently say I believe Black Lives Matter.
Transgender Issues: I don't care what bathroom people are in-this is a ploy to distract folks from real issues. Also we need to fight hate crimes against Trans people.
Political Correctness: We'd all be better off if people just respected eachother. However, PC, while useful as a concept, has its limits and is often abused.
Muslim Ban/Testing: Trump's ideas about Muslims are Islamophobic and bigoted.

Economic
Taxes: I support a more progressive tax code (and a simpler one) where corporate loopholes and offshore loopholes are closed. The tax system (through EITC) should also be used to combat poverty.
Social Security/Medicare: Lift the taxable income cap, target waste and fraud, very gradually raise the retirement age.
Trade: I strongly oppose TPP and believe that NAFTA was done recklessly. Killing TPP is a priority but I recognize that going back on NAFTA would not work out. Global trade is important but needs to be done right.
Healthcare: Ideally the US would move to a Medicare-for-all system. With the ACA in place however, there needs to be more incentives to help small business, reform of the Cadillac Tax, opened drug importation from Canada, and enforcement of anti-trust laws to tackle high prices.
Deficit/Debt: Make the government more efficient. Target waste, consolidate redundancies, computerize records, etc.
Minimum Wage: Raise the federal minimum to $12 an hour and allow states and localities to increase it further. Close the server loophole.
Campaign Finance Reform: Overturn Citizens United immediately.
Unions: I support card-check bills and strongly oppose RTW. Supporting unions is a great way to bolster the middle class.
Energy: All of the above for now with a transition to green energy. Build Keystone XL and DAPL but invest more in incentives and research on renewable energy.
Job Creation: Invest in infrastructure, especially in disadvantaged areas.
Education: Lower interest rates on student loans and work with colleges to curb rising overhead costs. Also allow for refinancing of student loan debt and perhaps even loan forgiveness in some cases. For K-12, I strongly support public schools.

Foreign
ISIS: Continue airstrikes and work with regional allies to totally defeat the group. Also provide humanitarian aid to the region to counteract ISIS' ideological pull.
Russia: Be tougher on Russia over their abuses and expansionary drive.
China: We must recognize that China is one of our close partners and also a potential threat. Work with diplomatic and economic might to counteract expansion while collaborating on common ground like fighting climate change.
Cuba: Open up more diplomatic and economic channels. Close Gitmo.
Iran: I support the Iran Deal.
Israel/Palestine: I think the US needs to be the face of reason that discourages violence and seeks a two-state solution. Israel is a key ally of ours and we should maintain that strong bond while working with them to bring about peace.
Syria/Refugees: The US needs to step up and take more refugees (with proper screening processes of course) but also needs to urge nations like Saudi Arabia to take more. Also, we should provide aid to those in camps and villages ravaged by violence.
NATO: We should continue full support for NATO.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1174 on: December 08, 2016, 06:40:23 PM »
« Edited: December 08, 2016, 06:41:59 PM by SunriseAroundTheWorld »

Economic Issues: Fiscal Conservative/Economic Libertarian
Taxes:
- Strong opponent of progressive taxation.
- Supportive of a flat tax system but would like some minor to medium level adjustments to ensure economic stability.
- Supportive of eliminating national corporate tax and support lowering state corporate taxes.
- Oppose the estate tax, carbon tax and sin/luxury tax.
- Believe that states have a right to eliminate state income taxes, if it is feasible (FL, TX, TN, NH etc...)

Healthcare:
- Oppose Obamacare
- Oppose Universal Healthcare and Single Payer Healthcare
- Supporting raising the Medicare age to 67 and implementing necessary reforms to save the program.
- Support minor to modest cuts in medicare/medicaid, if needed, but oppose gutting either program.
- Support Medical Malpractice/Tort Reform and limiting the influence of powerful trial lawyers.
- States have the right to reform their healthcare systems how they want as long as it does not supersede other states' systems or policies.

Social Security:
- Supporting raising the retirement age to either 67 or 69.
- Support a partial privatization and/or a full privatization of social security (prefer the latter) and would like to see a phasing out of the program. If a privatization process begins then it must be ensured that older people still receive their owed social security benefits.
- Would support create of online courses that teach people how to properly save money for short, medium or long periods of time. This surely would cost less then social security currently does.

Minimum Wage:
- Oppose granting a $15 (or $20) minimum wage in general and especially for fast-food workers.
- Oppose minimum wage increases in general with the exception of adjusting for inflation.
- Speaking of minimum wage, am also against a basic universal income.
- The minimum wage system should be reformed and broken up by career field and cost of living in a specified area.
- Every state has a right to raise or lower the minimum wage and honestly would prefer all minimum wage decisions to be made on the state and local level with little to no input from the federal government.

Welfare and Unemployment Benefits:
- I support a minimal welfare system and prefer to have a working requirement for it (but this should not be a federal requirement and believe each state should decide if it is appropriate or not).
- I support keeping unemployment benefits intact but oppose extending it for people who were rightfully fired and/or were fired and subsequently convicted of a serious felony.
- I strongly oppose giving welfare and/or unemployment benefits to illegal immigrants.
- I like the idea of drug-testing welfare recipients but there needs to be a cost effective method of enforcing this. If forced to choose, I would tenuously support enacting this type of policy but with heavy reservations due to cost.
- Job training programs should be mandatory immediately for anyone receiving welfare benefits.
- Ending welfare abuse, where it is being caused by poor people or rich people (yes, the latter does happen), should be a top priority of the federal government. People who abuse the system should receive hefty fines, a felony on their record and jail time.  

Education:
- I support charter schools and private voucher programs.
- I support promoting private schools, religious and secular, but not with state or federal money.
- I support our public schools and believe massive reforms need to be undertaken to improve the quality of education in this country.
- After school programs in inner-cities DO work and need to be promoted. It benefits everyone to support programs that keep kids off the streets. Would prefer for these programs to be funded through private organizations and means but I also support public schools engaging in efforts with organizations to former partnerships.
- I strongly oppose teacher's unions, especially in states like New Jersey. That being said, our teachers are underpaid in many states and I support finding ways to increase teacher's pay in reasonable manners.
- I oppose the elimination of the Department of Education. I agree that localization is very important and should be promoted but the DOE has a real purpose and should not be allowed to be dismantled.
- I oppose common core standards.
- I support homeschooling. I don't think it's a bad method of education as long as they are following required protocols and procedures set by the government.

Free Trade:
- Strong supporter of free trade policies and oppose protectionism.
- Strong supporter of NAFTA and TPP.
- However, I also understand the concerns of working-class workers and believe there are ways to alleviate the effects of free trade on them without hindering the benefits of trade. We, for some reason as a country, think we are locked in a game of intensity of preferences when in reality we could provide a good compromise.
- One way to do this would be by promoting job training programs that would specialize manufacturing workers in more profitable careers. This way when free trade washes away some outdated professions we can avoid mass lay offs in areas like Northeastern OH and PA.
- I'd prefer if private companies and corporations engage in this themselves and perhaps we could provide incentive for them to do this by lowering corporate taxes or signal support for future free trade agreements in the future. However, if this is not feasible, I would not oppose limited government funding for these job training programs.
- This is clearly an issue I agree more with Hillary Clinton (and neoliberals) then Donald Trump on but there are some aspects of his policy that I'm not opposed to. The U.S. should want to strengthen its rewards in its agreements with China, India and Japan.
- I support the idea of a European Union, meaning an organization that strengthens ties via free trade and market economics, but I cannot support the current structure of the EU we all know. I supported Brexit and will likely support other reasonable efforts to leave the EU by other countries (key word: reasonable).

Immigration:
- I don't just see this as a national security issue but also as an economic issue, which is why I put it here.
- I oppose amnesty and open border policies but I also support compromise.
- I support adopting the e-verify system to help stop criminal illegals from coming into the country.
- I support building a stronger border fence/security fence.
- I support deporting illegal immigrant criminals and illegal immigrants who are abusing entitlement programs.
- I oppose allowing illegal immigrants to obtain welfare and unemployment benefits as noted earlier and also oppose letting them obtain driver's licenses.
- I oppose granting citizenship to illegal immigrants but I do support a provision of the DREAM Act that allows people to obtain citizenship after serving in the military. I think military and/or national service via charity work (etc...etc...) would be a good measure to enforce.
- I, however, oppose the DREAM Act as a whole. I also oppose granting working VISAs to illegal immigrants who came in as illegal immigrants. It is not America's obligation to find work for non-citizens. I do want to make a distinction and state that I'm not against working VISAs for immigrants or people from other countries staying here for work. I am just against granting working VISAs for people who came in illegally.
- I also would like to propose a plan that would grant citizenship to permanent U.S. residents w/ valid green cards (assuming they pass background/criminal checks and have lived in the U.S. as perma. residents for a minimum of 10 years). These people have been here legally for a long time and deserve to be citizens.
- I also supporting renewing green cards and VISAs for people who came to America legally but for whatever reason could not renew their green card or VISA. Requirements for this would be 1) having a job or a reason for being in the US 2) having a clean criminal and background history.
- Ultimately, I believe in legal immigration and oppose illegal immigration. I want to promote the legal usage of our process and discourage coming into the country illegally.

Deficits and Budgets:
- Balancing the budget should be a priority for the government.
- Best way to start is by cutting the fatty, unnecessary elements in each department (do we really need Item A this year? can we hold off on that for a few years? etc...etc...)
- Prefer to see entitlements cut over defense of national security budgets but I think everything will likely need to be cut a bit to balance the budget in an effective and stable manner.
- I support a balanced budget amendment but I'd like one less strict then the one my fellow Conservatives usually call for. I think it should have some exceptions for war times or natural disasters and other dire situations like that.  

Environmental and Energy Issues:
- I oppose the idea of a carbon tax and also oppose cap and trade style policies.
- I side with businesses over environmentalists when it comes to regulations and taxes.
- I oppose the EPA's war on coal.
- I support fossil fuel usage as a reliable source of energy.
- I support diversifying our energy resource pool by engaging in domestic offshore drilling, drilling for Marcellus Shale and fracking. I also support diversifying where we get our foreign oil from and also support investing in natural gas and nuclear energies. Diversification politics is even more important for the EU when dealing with Russia and Iran.
- I oppose public funding of windmills or other wind-based forms of energy. I do support private research and implementation of more progressive and environmentally friendly resources if businesses choose to do so.
- I believe climate change is natural and that man has no effect on it one way or another. Therefore, we should engage in pro-business, pro-economic growth policies on energy issues.
- I am a strong supporter of Hunter's rights but I also support strictly enforcing the regulations relating to the endangering species list (fines, jailtime etc...). I also support the rules in place for when hunting season can and does occur.
- Animal cruelty is a severe problem and must be tackled. This includes enforcing harsh penalties for cockfighting, dogfighting etc...

Other:
- I support auditing and ending the Federal Reserve.
- I support right to work on a state level but oppose a federal bill
- I oppose overregulating Wall Street despite my weariness towards them.
- I am very opposed to populist economics promoted by both sides (Trump/Buchanan on the right; Sanders/Warren on the left).

Will make separate post for social/foreign policy issues.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 63  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies