Summary of political beliefs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:30:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 63
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 556623 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2005, 11:18:26 PM »
« edited: March 23, 2005, 11:51:36 PM by nickshepDEM »

Social: 
-Pro-choice durring the first trimester only.  After that you lose your option to choose.
-Support individual prayer in school.  Support some christian teachings in public schools.
-Support the public school system.  Do not support vouchers
-Immigration:  I support the placement of a division of the National Guard on the southern border.  If you go through the system system and file the proper paperwork you will be rewarded with U.S. citzenship.  If not, you will be sent back, immediatley.
-Gun-Control:  Support some gun controll, but we are taking it to far.  Responsible citizens should be able to bare arms without the gov't giving them a hard time and breathing down their neck.
-Crime:  This country is too lenient on vicious criminals and too strict on people who commit petty crimes. 
-Death Penatly:  Support, but only w/ DNA evidence.
-Against Gay marriage, but I do support the idea of civil unions for the most part.

Economic:
-Budget Hawk.  I undestand that running a deficit can sometimes be beneficial, but I really hate the idea of the America having this huge debt.
-Support a progressive tax system.  The middle class is overtaxed and the rich are undertaxed.  Families First tax plan: fair,progressive,simple,responsible.
-Free Trade:  Freed trade is OK, but there must be restrictions, which prevent American jobs from being shipped over sea's by the millions while the company responsible gets a tax cut for packing up and leaving.
-Pro-Union
-Support Social Security in its current form.  Increase the cap or eliminate the cape entirely and lower the payroll tax.
-Health Care:  I like the idea of a Universal Health Care system, but it does not seem financially feasible.  Therefore, I support single-payer health care system.

Foreign Policy:
-Support more spending on the armed forces.  Support the War on Terror.  Id prefer that the War on Terror expand to more countries and more terrorist training grounds.  But I would rather the WOT consist of strategic strikes on certain terrorist bases and training camps rather than invading the countries containing those bases and camps.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2005, 11:26:55 PM »

Socially: Pro-life in virtually all cases, against euthenaisa, support the death penalty for the most heinous of crimes, against gay marriage but also against a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage such as the FMA, undecided on civil unions. Also against hate crimes legislation and affirmative action, oppose most FCC regulations on cable and other pay TV channels, in favor of some Internet censorship when it comes to K-12 public schools and libraries where computers are being used by children. Generally oppose prostitution and legalization of drugs but support gambling for the most part. Support the status quo for immigration. Support individual prayer in public schools and prayer before sporting and other major events. Support school vouchers and faith-based charities.

Economically: Proponent of the free market but there should be a small safety net for those who have fallen on hard times. Support free trade, welfare reform, tort reform, a slightly graduated income tax, and farm subsidies for small family farms. Against personal and corporate tax loopholes, corporate subsidies, and universal health care. Would like to see a more balanced budget and feel that Medicare and Medicaid spending are more pressing issues than Social Security (support privatization of SS).

Foreign policy: Supporter of the War on Terror, including Iraq and Afghanistan. Strong supporter of Israel.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2005, 11:30:25 PM »

-Support a progressive tax system.  The middle class is overtaxed and the rich are undertaxed.

People who say this miss the point. An income tax is not a tax on the rich, but the people becoming rich.

The best way to get the rich to pay their fair share is to close loopholes and end tax shelters. A perfectly flat rate would be ideal, as this is the only system completely void of 'get-arounds.' But the top rate right now is 35%! Certainly that is high enough!

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That is not Social Security in its current form. That is a welfare program, equivalent to abolishing Social Security.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2005, 11:35:50 PM »
« Edited: March 23, 2005, 11:37:27 PM by nickshepDEM »

-Support Social Security in its current form.  Increase the cap or eliminate the cape entirely and lower the payroll tax.

That is not Social Security in its current form. That is a welfare program, equivalent to abolishing Social Security.

Your right.  What I should have said is, I support increasing the cap or eliminating it as a way of "fixing" the current system.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2005, 03:40:08 AM »

Social:

Liberal Views
- Pro-choice during the first trimester.
- Immigration: Suport increased legal immigration and amnesty for undocumented workers who have shown commitment to making a productive life in America.
- Gun control: Support mandatory waiting periods and background checks. Support provisions of Assault Weapons Ban of 1994-2004.
- FCC regulations: Support a return to pre-Michael Powell regulatory priorities. Do not agree with pandering to narrow special interests trying to control what people can see on television.
- Marijuana: Support legalization on a state-by-state basis, but under highly regulated and taxed conditions, with increased safeguards against marijuana dependency. Support limits on amount of marijuana that can be purchased.
- Gay marriage: Support civil unions on a state-by-state basis.

Mixed Views
- Support religion in school on a voluntary basis, but not required religious activity such as prayer or moments of silence. Support secular education on religious scripture and history as part of the school curriculum.
- Crime: We are too lenient on vicious criminals but too harsh on petty offenders. There are too many people in jail. Go to the root of the problem.

Conservative Views
- Fathers' Rights: Support the equal rights of fathers in all custody cases.
- School vouchers: Support. Support privatization of all public schools, subject to community approval in well- and average-performing districts.
- Multiculturalism: Believe in assimilation, not multiculturalism. Oppose bilingual education except as a last resort bridge to English-only education.
- Affirmative action: Oppose race-based affirmative action.
- Death penalty: Support, with DNA evidence. Try to rehabilitate all people, even those on death row.
- Causes of social problems: Believe 1960s liberalism led to undesirable breakdowns in social capital; the causes of high crime are mostly family breakdown and weakening of community culture.

Economic:

Conservative Views
- Favor dismantling social security entirely, but favor the government stepping in to aid seniors who face an unexpected sudden loss of retirement savings.
- Support tort reform. Support cap of $750,000 for pain and suffering damages.
- Oppose farm subsidies. Support government action to prevent large corporations from going bankrupt, but otherwise oppose corporate welfare.
- Support free trade. Generally anti-union.
- Support suburban development. Oppose no-growth lobbies. Support state infrastructure spending.

Liberal Views:
- Budget deficits are not a problem. Debt is a structural thing shared by all industrialized countries, and always will be.
- Support a progressive tax system, top income tax rate of 44%. Support the estate tax. Oppose increasing regressive taxes such as sales taxes. Oppose cap on income considered for social security tax.
- Favor government-funded medicare vouchers for medical insurance for the poor. Every child should have health insurance.

Foreign Policy:

Realist. Share a philosophy of war with William T. Sherman, and for that very reason has a very high threshold for justifying a pre-emptive war. Still believe the reasons do not justify starting a war.
- Support spreading democracy by peaceful means, such as building up goodwill and cooperation with Arab peoples and the less oppressive governments.
- Support bilateral talks with North Korea, only because multilateral talks are clearly getting nowhere.
- Support coordinating with E.U. on Iran.
- Favor ending monetary grants to Israel.
- Realize that we must support some undemocratic regimes, such as Pakistan, because the alternative would be worse.
- Support debt relief, AIDS drug funding, and other economic assistance to LDC regions, especially in sub-saharan Africa.
PADem

« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2005, 05:59:10 AM »

Social:

- Proud Pro-Life Democrat. Support abortion in cases of rape etc
- Against Prayer or Religious influences in state schools-
- Support school vouchers
-Immigration: Support a clamp down on illegal immigrants coming  across the borders, reward those who apply through official channells
-Gun-Control: I respect that this is a touchy issue. In support of a ban on stupid guns that people have no need to have (eg assault rifles) - otherwise then I don't really care
-Crime:  Support tougher penalties for major offences (rapes, assualts etc), and lighter penalties for things nobody cares about (minor Marijuana offences etc)
-Death Penatly:  In favour, DNA evidence and automatic appeals are a must
- Against Gay Marriage, completely opposed to any kind of constitutional amendment though. Don't really have a problem with civil unions

Economic:
- Anti-Deficit, and think that Bush's economic policies aren't the way to go
- Support asset-tested tax system. The poorer you are the more tax breaks you get, the richer the less
-Free Trade:  Pro NAFTA, CAFTA etc, but outsourcing is a real problem
- Support at least partial privatisation of social security
- Anti-Affirmative Action: I don't by into it being reverse racism,  but I think it doesn't help, and we should be looking at the roots of the problem

Foreign Policy:
-Support enlargement of the army, and extra military spending. If we need to deploy troops then the powell doctrine is the way to go
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2005, 06:34:14 AM »

I'm somewhere between a warmongering libertarian and a free-love conservative. Chew on that one.

Essentially:

Social: Center-left. Far left on issues like prostitution and gambling; far-right on abortion, center-left on most other things.

Economic: Right to Far-right.

Foreign Policy: Center-Neocon.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2005, 12:24:20 PM »

SOCIAL: somewhat of a libertarian with some Democratic ideas.  All for gay marriage, gay adoption, gay rights.  I believe the government has to do everything in its power to uphold free will on public property, because as much as I feel strongly about people expressing themselves and having the freedom to do what they want as long as they are not hurting anybody, I feel just as strongly for an owner of private property to do what they want in their homes, businesses, once again, as long as they are not hurting anybody.  Very liberal when it comes to censorship, I think anything should be allowed on the air as long as parents and caregivers to children are given a heads up to what's there.  Basically when it comes to that, I love the V-Chip, because any broadcaster can express their free speech and any parent can easily have anything they dont want in their homes blocked.  My views on the rights of private property owners extend to hiring practices.  I think affirmative action is beyond unconstitutional, the government has no right to tell a business who to hire.  But, I'm a big union supporter because I also think it's the workers' right to have fair pay and enough to money to adjust to the growing economy.  I'm liberal on abortion, as I see it as somehting the government can't control and whether or not to bring a life into the world is the parents' choice, not the government.  Strong advocate to the ACLU, one of our country's best organizations.  I'm all for 2nd Amendment rights barring the failure of a psychological test.  Conseratives are right, people kill people, not guns, so we just have to keep guns away from people who kill people.  As for everyone else, if you want to keep an AK47 in your home, fine by me.  Just pass the tests.  I believe the drining age should be lowered to 18, and marijuana legalized.  Hard drugs should stay illegal, because they just simply alter your mind to the point you really have no control, unlike softer casual things (I dont even consider them drugs) like pot and alcohol. Voting age should be lowered to 16, because I think our younger citizens should have a voice.  I'm 100% for a clean environment, as I see it as a right for the next generations to have a clean Earth to live on.  No businesses' profits should come at the expense of our planet.  On religion, I'm as liberal as you get.  Of course, I support peoples' right to practice, but it should be completely out of the government, courts, and schools.  Teaching faith as fact, imposing "God" onto atheists and agnostics, through the pledge and oaths, and justifying rules with religious doctrice are all imfringments on free will and thought in my eyes.  Those who do this are trying to alter the soul and very person the vicitm is, and should be punished.  If I had to some up my social views, you do whatever the hell you want, as long as you are not hurting anybody or anything, or putting someone in danger.  I'm a freedom and rights liberal Democrat. 

ECONOMIC: Basically, I'm all for workers' rights but there are few places where I think it should be up to the owners.  I believe in high taxes on the wealthy, as they should give back to the system that got them where they are to help those who were, by no choice ming you, born into a less desirable situation.  America is the land of oppurtunity no doubt, but many simply cannot help the situation they were born into, and its the responsibilty of the government to help them.  Minimum wage should be reasonable to get by in our society.  The governmentshould support unions, as they are the main defense against oppressive owners and big business bosses who use their position to exploit workers.  Since working and making money is essential in a capitalist society, owners rights to should extend only to hiring and how they run their business.  The workers have the rest of the power beyond that.  They cannot be fired without good reason, and must always be treated fairly as long as the job is getting done.  Basically on the economic side, I'm a populist with one or two libertarian leanings. 
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2005, 12:01:16 AM »

Social Views- I consider myself a social moderate
   Oppose abortion except to save the mother's life or incest.  Overturn Roe v Wade and leave it to the states.
   Oppose gay marriage and the Federal Marriage Amemdment.  Believe it should be left to the states.  Support DOMA to allow the states the freedom to define marriage how it sees fit.  Personally support civil unions.
   Oppose euthanasia on 14th Amendment grounds.
   Support allowing states to set their own laws on marijuana use.  Personally, I would just legalize all drugs as I believe that would drastically cut down on the crime rate.
   Support the death penalty with DNA evidence.  I agree with the other poster who said Scott Peterson shouldn't get it because his case is circumstantial.  The Supreme Court was wrong to outlaw it to under 18 yr olds.
   Oppose "3 strikes and you're out" legislation.  Sentences should be handed down on a case by case basis.  Some crimes and it should be 1 strike and you're fried.
   We need to rewrite the Patriot Act, there are good elements to it, but other elements that give government a scary amount of power.
   Oppose further gun control.
   Oppose affirmative action.  Two wrongs don't make a right.
   Favor a set term for Supreme Court and lower court judges to rein in judicial activism.  Say 8 years.
   School prayer is a neutral.  "As long as there are tests, there will be prayer in school."  Support personal shows of faith but oppose organized prayer groups.
   Support vouchers to make our schools more competitive.
   Support the National Park System and allow limited use of wilderness areas such as drilling in ANWAR.  Oppose the Kyoto Treaty.
   Enforce laws on illegal immigration.  Do not give illegals driver's licences or allow them in-state tuition.  Have a guest worker program for jobs that are not filled to reduce the temptation for people to illegally cross.  Say in no uncertain terms that there will never be amnesty.

Economic.  Mostly Libertarian
   Support in principle the effort to have private accounts in social security but wonder how it's going to be paid for.  Support raising the retirement age to keep with the original intent of the program and eliminating the early retirement option.  Would like the whole thing phased out but that is not practical at this time.
   Oppose new prescription drug benefit to Medicare.  Instead set up private Health Savings Acccounts to replace insurance.  Insurance causes overuse of the system.  Oppose gov't funded health care.
   Would prefer a consumption tax, but only if a constitutional amendment was passed to eliminate the income tax.  Since that's not going to happen institute a flat tax with a high personal deduction for progresivity.  As compliance costs drop, billions will be released into the economy.
   End corporate welfare.  Wal Mart makes enough money, they don't need the taxpayers to fund new store construction.  Same with major sports leagues
   Allow private charities, including religous ones, to administer welfare programs as long as the money is going to help and not to preach.
   Strongly oppose the mininum wage.  It only destroys jobs.
   Support NAFTA and exansion of the trade agreement as it will create more jobs in the long run by opening foreign markets to U.S. goods and keep prices down.
   Combat outsourcing by eliminating the corporate income tax (very few corporations pay income tax anyway).  Tax dividends at the flat rate.
   End the embargo on Cuba.  Treat Castro like we've been treating the Chinese and change will come.

Foreign Policy- Basically a hawk.
   Strongly supports the wars in Afganastan and Iraq.  Despite Iraq having no WMD, Saddam was a threat and was only waiting for us to turn our backs to restart it.
   Strongly oppose the draft.  Instead offer better pay and incentives to our troops.  They deserve it!
   Improve the VA system and help families of fallen soldiers.  We need to take care of those who take care of us.

That's my view in a nutshell.  think I got everything.

they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2005, 12:23:09 AM »

Social

Abortion: pro-choice. I want it legal in the first trimester. After that I don't care about much restrictions as long as its legal for health reasons, and oppose waiting periods, notifications, and all that other junk. I'm not against the idea of the Unborn Victims of Violence Act but don't like it being passed with this Congress, plus just look at the name.

Gay rights: I'm 100% in favor of all gay rights and gay marriage, atlhough I'd rather just get marriage out of the government altogether. Civil Unions for everyone.

Gun control: I basically have Howard Dean's position. I'm happy with the current laws.

Death penalty: Strongly opposed.

School prayer: I'm against any organized prayer, but think the ACLU often goes too far. If the students themselves want to make some sort of religious reference in something like say a graduation speech, that's fine. Just don't have prayers over the intercom in the morning or anything like that.

Affirmative Action: Should be class, not race based.

Patriot Act: Repeal the damn thing

3 Strikes Laws: Not a bad idea in theory, but they get implemented poorly. Need serious reform. A better solution would be just to increase penalties on violent and serious offenders instead.

Prostitution: Legalize and regulate strongly. Ban pimping.

Gambling: Completely legalize

Drugs: I'm for legalizing pot. Everything else probably not, but we should focus on rehabilitation rather than imprisonment.

Strip Clubs: You already know Smiley

Economic

I'm basically a socialist. 100% pro-union. I support wage caps. I like the negative income tax idea. I'm completely in favor of universal health care. I'm very protectionist.

Foreign Policy

Very dovish. Want to gut the hell out of the military. We spend way too much. I obviously opposed the Iraq invasion. I hate both the Israeli and Palestinean leaders and think an independent Palestinean state is the best solution. I strongly opposed any trade with China, and support lifting the Cuban embargo.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2005, 12:38:16 AM »

Social:

Liberal views:
- Pro-choice for the first two trimesters, and to save the life of the woman
- FCC regulations, we need media to belong to organizations that actually report the news
- Marijuana:Legalize
- Gay marriage: legalize
- School vouchers: oppose
- Death penalty: oppose

Mixed views:
- Immigration: I'm against worker visas, H-1B visas. I'm sort of neutral on immigration itself
- Gun control: I'm mostly for gun control, but a bit undecided

Conservative views:
- Affirmative action: oppose

Economic

Liberal:
- Keynesian economics
- Tax hikes on the rich
- Fair trade not "free" trade

Mixed:
- Support guaranteeed welfare for anyone who will work if they can
- Oppose very large deficits like those we have now. Small deficits are ok.
- Oppose farm, corporate subsidies

Foreign policy
- General cut to a lot of wasteful military spending
- For fighting a war on terror, engaging Al Qaeda in Afganistan, Pakistan, and Saudi Arabia
- Against wars for no good reason like Iraq
- We need to stop trying overthrowing random countries we don't like, for instance Venzeuela
- All together I'd be less militaristic but not more isolationist
- Working on providing permanent solutions to disease, hunger, poverty in poor countries. Help them become developed without massive environmental problems.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2005, 01:21:50 AM »

Social:

Libertarian views:
- Oppose FCC; realize that's not realistic right now, but at least stop it from spreading
- Legalize drugs
- No prescription necessary to buy anything
- Fully support school vouchers
- Don't apply federal Bill of Rights to the states; just consolidates power in the federal judiciary
- Federal government primarily for defense and free trade among the states
- Oppose gun control; legalize machine guns
- Oppose affirmative action

Mixed:
- Replace death penalty with hard labor

Liberal:
- Support guest worker program
- Relax immigration restrictions
- Oppose flag burning amendment

Conservative:
- No need to take vague references to God out of public life ("In God We Trust," "Under God" in the pledge, etc.)
- Oppose abortion except to save life of the mother
- Oppose campaign finance reform (also libertarian, I guess)
- Oppose gay/incestuous/polygamous marriages

Economic:

Liberal:
- Remove cap on all payroll taxes
- Cut Social Security and Medicare benefits for wealthy

Libertarian:
- Abolish the 'normal' income tax, and use the payroll tax to replace it, at a flat rate of about 15 percent, with no cap
- Repeal sixteenth amendment (since payroll tax is not a direct tax, as it is paid only by the employer on behalf of the employee)
- Get rid of taxes on everything except wages (includes sales taxes, property taxes, double taxation of all sorts, etc.)
- Abolish a lot of federal departments (Agriculture, Education, etc.)
- Cap federal outlays at 20 percent of last year's GDP

Conservative:
- Increased defense spending (like we're doing now)
- Oppose large deficits, but not necessarily small ones like we have now. The real problem is too much government spending.
- Support states' rights (oppose Federal Marriage Amendment in its current form; oppose Controlled Substances Act both because of this and because I support drug legalization, plus it's unconstitutional; etc.)

Foreign Policy:

Conservative views:
- Support Bush Doctrine
- Support Operation Enduring Freedom
- Support Operation Iraqi Freedom

Libertarian:
- Pull out of the UN
- Support free trade agreements

Mixed:
- Create a treaty making organization similar to NATO, only expanded
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2005, 02:17:46 AM »

Just because I am interested in knowing y'all a bit better, I think a topic should be made descibing you all and your personal views on politics. 

To put it simply, I oppose the evils of fascism and capitalism.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2005, 10:05:30 PM »

- Oppose large deficits, but not necessarily small ones like we have now. The real problem is too much government spending.

Small?  $7,798,011,499,375.68 is not small!
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2005, 12:44:36 AM »

That would be the national debt (i believe). A18 is referring to the annual shortcomings which aren't exactly small in and of themselves.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2005, 02:58:23 AM »

Social Issues:
pro-gun to the point where some people would say extreme.  I don't think I should need a permit to carry a weapon, or neccessarily be law abiding.  The only real gun control that is fair is self control in not pointing it at other people unless being threatened.

pro free speech- every kind of speech, I don't care if you don't like what I have to say, you don't need to listen to me.  You have to realise, sometimes you're gonna get offended by thing people say.  It should not be the government's say in whether or not your able to hear them

anti-affirmative action- favoritism to any group of people is unfair.  Affirmative action is still racism (regardless if it's reversed).

pro prostitution- let the john worry about getting HIV/AIDS or herpes.  it should be no concern of the state.

pro homosexual rights-  if two consenting people (both male or both female) want to have sex or marry, who am I to say they should be stopped.  Yes, the definition of marraige is between a man and a women, but I hardly see how gays marrying is going to bring a downfall or moral decay to society.  It's still really really gross though.

pro drugs- let's face it after millions of dollars, thousands of lives ruined and massive property damage by the Federal government, the Drugs won the war on drugs.  Someone else toking up has no affect on me same as someone drinking whiskey has no affect on me.

pro-life, and pro choice.  I really wish more women would reconsider before abortion.  I realise how incredibly annoying the religious right is on this issue.  I want to make it clear I don't support this practice, but I don't want the federal government getting it's hands into legislating it.

anti-death penalty- I really am for this, and I think in many cases it is a just punishment, but I know there are many people who have been wrongly convicted and put to death, and I don't trust the state to spend my tax dollars wisely, so there's no way I trust the state with life or death matters.

Anti-socialized medicine.  When the state takes over and dictates health policy for the nation, the poeple should only expect death and disease. Government monopoly in the health industry will cause many competitous industries who work hard to provide the best care go out of business. Many drugs already are forced to go through the FDA for a rigorous screening process lasting 5-10 years.  By the time it's made legal someone who needed it could've died.  Besides this will create longer waiting lines and let in hypocondriacs while emergency people suffer in line.

Economic Issues:
pro free market education:  this is not the same as a voucher system where allowances are doled out by the state and you still must choose their schools.  I think that schools should run like a business and in a capitalistic society a need is met where it is found.  Rather than the government monopoly we currently have, schools should compete for academic excellence.  Children graduate smarter because their not just being passed along and the standards of learning are not state controlled.

pro repealing the 16th Amendment.  Scrap it. No progressive tax.  No "fair" tax.  No federal sales tax. None of that crap.  Our government was relatively small before it was enacted and look how much it grew in the past 90 years.  It's the politicians' royal road to your pocket book, and in a way, it's slavery.  By that I mean you work so hard for yourself, but out of nowhere you owe the government your hard earned labor and wages from that labor.  Forced working under someone like this, when it's not your own I think counts as slavery.

pro free trade-I think a lot of these embargos put on goods are done to control the economy and regulate the goods and services coming and going. 

pro deregulation-I favor ending a lot of these stupid laws that do nothing but cost people money and waste time.

pro silver- I favor backing money with silver.  It needs to be backed by something or else inflation will never stop and the US dollar will grow weaker and weaker.  Silver is a good choice, it's a precious metal, that will be easily more liquid and better flow with the current economy than gold.

anti subsidies- I think liberals complain about big corporations way too much, when they should be complaining about big government that shows economic favoritism towards certain companies and not others.

anti social security- started when FDR decided people are too stupid to handle their own money, so we gotta step in there and take it from them, then return some of it for when they're older.  I like the libertarian plan, but don't know all the details.  Cut younger workers off from it.  Middle age and baby boomers get about half of what they put into it back.  Old people have their accounts transfered to variable annuities in private accounts for themselves.  To finance this, the government sells much of the private land it owns (which is a good amount) to individuals.

Pro balanced budget amendment: For congress to balance their budget, they should've said enough is enough after Reagan ran a huge debt.  I have no idea of what the long standing damage the W deficeit will be.

Foreign Policy:

Anti Iraq War: There was no reason to do it in the first place.  I could go on and on about it, but I'll save room for others to. 

Anti draft:  The draft is slavery-it's forcing you to work for the government.

pro noninterventionism.  After 9-11 was the only time in the last 50 years intervention was necessary.  And it should've only been used to find binLaden.  His action is still criminal and not war.  Therefore I'm also against the Afghanistan war.

pro Mexico.  Many people come here from Mexico legally, and the number is far greater than those who enter illegally.  I think a lot of people come here legally because they can get welfare and not get a job.  However those who do enter legally get harassed and get a bad reputation from the illegals.

anti U.N.  The number one job of the UN was supposed to be to prevent war.  Look at what a bad job that has done.  It's now a world beuracracy hell bent on fixing social ills and feeding the hungy while Americans go hungry and American tax dollar go to the UN

Some understanding on my veiw points mostly libertarian, some of them modified...

ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2005, 02:54:29 PM »

That would be the national debt (i believe). A18 is referring to the annual shortcomings which aren't exactly small in and of themselves.

Ah, yes.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2005, 02:55:51 PM »

As a percentage of GDP, they are historically small.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2005, 12:06:38 AM »

bump, for the agree w/ me BRTD thread
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2005, 02:46:19 PM »

Social Issues
-Pro-Death penalty (age>17yrs., IQ>65, for murder, child molestation, treason, war crimes)
-Oppose homosexual marriage (civil unions & rights up to states)
-Affirmative action:  Amend it, don't end it.
-Pro-choice, Pro-parental notification, and Pro-Laci's Law
-Legalized medicinal marijuana
-Pro-Hate Crimes Legislation
-Oppose funding of Religious Inst.
-Pro-2nd Amendment
-Against funding the arts
-Pro-Equal Work, Equal Pay
-For OTC RU-486 Emergency Contraception
-Pro-federal funding of stem cell research (from fertility clinics)
Defense Issues
-Gitmo:  Amend it, don't end it.  Establish a protocol that is set in stone, no exceptions or loopholes and document (audio, written, or otherwise) detainer-detainee interaction.  Stop serving them fancy food, only beans and cheapest fruit possible (maybe let them grow their own if it saves us money).
-Iraq:  We should have gone in with twice as many troops, better equipped, and with the reason we have now
-"Policing" the world:  It's sometimes necessary, but don't beat around the bush as Bush does with the hand-cutting Saudi Kingdom.
-War on Terror:  REAL energy independence (what happens when we run out of all of our oil, no matter how long into the future?); deep involvement in Israel-Palestinian relations; protect our borders (land and maritime); fund cities, not fly-over country (the terrorists ain't gonna bomb Wyoming, they look for economic and population centers); debt relief for Africa
-Armed Forces:  We treat them like crap.  They only deserve the best supplies and a good standard of living, not food stamps and lip service.
-Woman in the military:  Of course.
Economic Issues
-Taxes: More progressive and simple tax code w/ brackets as follows:
          $<27,000--No income taxes
          27,001<$<39,000--16.5% (w/ Children--12.0%)
          39,001<$<51,000--19.5% (w/ Children--15.0%)
          51,001<$<63,000--22.5% (w/ Children--19.5%)
          63,001<$<75,000--25.5% (w/ Children--22.5%)
          75,001<$<99,000--28.5% (w/ Children--25.5%)
          99001<$<123000--31.5% (w/ Children--30.0%)
          123001<$<147000--34.5% (w/ Children--33.0%)
          147001<$<171000--36.0%
          171001<$<195000--37.5%
          195001<$<270000--39.0%
          270001<$<345000--40.5%
          345001<$<450000--42.0%
          450001<$<600000--43.5%
          600001<$<750000--45.0%
          750001<$<900000--46.5%
          900001<$<1200000--48.0%
          1200001<$<1500000--49.5%
          $>1500001--51.0%
          All you have to do is look at your bracket and if you have
          children.  NOTHING ELSE!
-Soc. Security:  No private accts., Raise min. age by 1 or 2 yrs., Make more progressive if prob. still exists
-Budget:  The only way there is, balanced.  Modest entitlement cuts + Modest tax inc.
-Minimum wage:  $6.75/hr (2005) + yearly inflation (min. wage automatically adjusts every yr.)
-Education:  As tuition inc., fed. endowments to inst. decrease
-Vocational training (from high school on up)
-HS Graduation Requirements:  Algebra 2 (or equivalent math course directly before Trigonometry) for college-bound students and thorough arithmetic training for vocational-bound students, as well as 2 lab science courses.
-Tort "Reform":  No way in hell!
-Pro-Union
-Tax cuts for business that hire American citizens
-Incentives for hybrid vehicles, energy efficient materials
-Child health care (in households w/ incomes less than $75,000 and/or children with parent in armed forces)
-For availability of generic medicines and importation of medicines
-Insurance rates (all types) may not exceed 1.5 times the rate of inflation from the previous year
-No more corporate welfare.
-If an able-bodied/minded person refuses to work, they surrender their right to entitlements of any kind.
Election system:
-Congressional redistricting must be approved in a state by referendum
-Run-off election for each state if no Presidential candidate receives a majority of the popular vote in that state.
-Congressional and executive salaries may not exceed the rate of inflation.
Miscellaneous
-Make English the official language
-No f-ing way in hell should the govt. be funding Viagra or similar bedroom drugs...thanks Rep. leadership.

I think that's pretty comprehensive Smiley

Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2005, 07:24:43 AM »

Social Issues

General philosophy: Libertarianism

Separation of church and state: Very strongly support; remove "under God" from the pledge; end federal funding for "faith-based initiatives"

Freedom of speech: Oppose banning flag burning, etc.

Right to an abortion: Very strongly support throughout the pregnancy

Affirmative action: Very strongly oppose

Gun rights: Support

Civil unions or gay marriage: Support both, but the latter is preferable

Euthanasia: Strongly support

Prostitution: Support legalization

Capital punishment: Oppose

Economic Issues

General philosophy: Close to laissez-faire capitalism.

Employers and Employees: Strongly support liberty of contract. If the employer wishes to fire the employee for no reason at all, the government should not interfere. If an employer does not wish to hire women, then the government should not interfere, etc., etc.

Taxation: Highest tax bracket should be no more than 30-35%. The Alternative Minimum Tax should be abolished.

Spending: Cut government spending on wasteful programs, including some welfare programs, farm subsidies, foreign aid, and others.

Free trade: Very strongly support. The consumer should not be sacrificed on the altar of protectionism.

Funding of the space program: Strongly support.

Foreign policy

General philosophy: Hawk; realist (as opposed to idealist)

Iraq: Opposed, not on so-called "moral grounds," but on the grounds that it destabilizes the region and causes the U.S. to incur too much expenditure

Neoconservatism: The American military exists to protect American interests, not to topple dictatorships
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2005, 07:32:19 AM »

Interesting positions, Emsworth.  I suspect that we're closer on social issues than it would seem from comparing the positions posted here.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2005, 07:34:13 AM »

Interesting positions, Emsworth.  I suspect that we're closer on social issues than it would seem from comparing the positions posted here.
Yes; we seem to differ on hot-button issues like abortion, but agree on other matters.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2005, 08:00:49 AM »
« Edited: August 11, 2006, 06:29:44 PM by Speed Of Sound »

Social Issues

General philosophy: Liberalism

Separation of church and state: Very strongly support; remove "under God" from the pledge; end federal funding for "faith-based initiatives"

Freedom of speech: As long you put no-one in direct physical danger i.e., yelling fire in a theater

Right to an abortion: Very strongly support throughout the first two trimesters

Affirmative action: Very strongly oppose

Gun rights: Support an assault weapon ban, oppose a handgun ban

Civil unions or gay marriage: Support both, but the latter is  much more preferable

Euthanasia: Strongly support

Prostitution: Support legalization

Capital punishment: STRONGLY Oppose

Economic Issues

General philosophy: socialist

Employers and Employees: Strongly support liberty of contract. If the employer wishes to fire the employee for no reason at all, the government should not interfere. If an employer does not wish to hire women, then the government should not interfere,etc., etc. but i support unions.

Taxation: Income Tax: 35% or 40% then give the people Universial Healthcare and free public education. Otherwise the income tax should be very low. Every Other Tax: 'Power To The People' taxation. You dont like a plan? you dont pay for it. you pay for what you support, dont pay for it what you dont. The Senators gave themselves a pay raise? Not if you can help it!

Spending: Cut government spending on wasteful programs, including some welfare programs, farm subsidies, foreign aid, and others.

Free trade: Very strongly oppose. Our un-employment rates are bad enough. Protectionism keeps the jobs here-at home.

Funding of the space program: ONLY for a human trip to Mars. other than that, most (not all) of it is a waste of space. (no pun intended) Cut most spending to the space program

Foreign policy

General philosophy: 'Dove'

Iraq: Strongly Opposed. It is morally wrong, we have no reason to be there, and then we complain like Hell when they fight back?!?No Blood For Oil!

The American military exists to protect American interests, not to topple dictatorships. I wish someday we could make it into a Dept. Of Peace, but right now there isnt enough trust among nations.

For Everyone to lazy to read this whole thing, here's a visual:
                                       Economy

Social Issues[/u]

Foriegn Policy[/u]

Sorry about taking your list, Emsworth, just to lazy to make my own Cheesy
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -3.15, S: -0.82

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2005, 10:04:43 AM »

Social Issues

General philosophy: Conservatism

Separation of church and state: Oppose... America was not meant to be a secular nation.

Freedom of speech: Support. I have the right to speak bigotry if I must.

Right to an abortion: Very strongly Oppose. Baby-killing is murder.

Affirmative action: Very strongly support

Gun rights: Support fully. Even though personally, I shunn firearms. I like swords, bows and arrows, daggers and knives better

Civil unions or gay marriage: Strongly oppose. This should not even be an issue.

Euthanasia: Strongly oppose. But only if the person is consenting.

Prostitution: oppose

Capital punishment: STRONGLY Oppose

Economic Issues

General philosophy: An interesting mix of socialism and capitalism, leaning toward socialism. (capialism?Socitalism? Huh)

Employers and Employees: Strongly support liberty of contract. If the employer wishes to fire the employee for no reason at all, the government should not interfere. If an employer does not wish to hire women, then the government should not interfere,etc., etc. but i support unions.

Taxation: Income Tax: 5% or 4% then give the people Universial Healthcare and free public education. Otherwise the income tax should be very low.

Spending: Increase gov't spending on foreign aid.

Free trade: Strongly support. This is doing wonders for me Cheesy.

Funding of the space program: OH YEEESSSSS

Foreign policy

General philosophy: 'Dove', isolationist

Iraq: Strongly Opposed. It is morally wrong, we have no reason to be there, and then we complain like Hell when they fight back?!?No Blood For Oil!
Also. Leave Iran alone, and N. Korea is more of a nuisance than a threat.
Respect towards sovereignty = peace. Neutrality will keep us safe from danger.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 63  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies