Summary of political beliefs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:42:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 63
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 556645 times)
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: November 14, 2010, 02:14:14 PM »

Economic

Nationalization/Privatization: Nationalize every company with over 20 employees.
Government Intervention: Begin a massive drive to open new coal mines, factories, steelmills, ironworks, shipyards etc. to restore British manufacturing. Begin roadbuilding and renovation projects to restore the British road system, as well as a new railway building program to replace rail closed down under the Beeching Axe. Aim to reduce unemployment to under 500,000.
Pensions: Maintain pension age at 65
Taxation: Massive redistribution of wealth and heavily progressive taxation.
Trade: High protective tariffs against foreign manufactured goods.
Healthcare: Nationalize all private hospitals & services, abolish prescription charges and begin a hospital building program.
Education: Nationalize all private schools, abolish tuition fees and maintain the school leaving age at 16. Abolish school uniforms and standardize the testing system.
Finance: Private banks are inefficient, illogical and greedy - nationalize all of them and create a small group of state banks for different requirements. Re-introduce foreign exchange controls. Abolish the Stock Exchange.

Social

Abortion: Allow on request
Gay marriage: Legalize and make equal with existing heterosexual marriage laws.
Death penalty: Restore for treason and murder
Euthanasia: Support I guess
Drugs: Legalize soft drugs
Immigration: We're a crowded country - make sure there are clear controls on borders.

Foreign

War on Terror: Get out of it, it is nothing to do with us.
Alliances: Support communist movements in other countries
Military involvement: Unneccesary except in self defence.
NATO: Leave
EU: Leave
Nuclear disarmament: Multilateral if possible. If not, unilateral.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #526 on: November 14, 2010, 10:28:14 PM »

Economic

Nationalization/Privatization: Nationalize every company with over 20 employees.
Government Intervention: Begin a massive drive to open new coal mines, factories, steelmills, ironworks, shipyards etc. to restore British manufacturing. Begin roadbuilding and renovation projects to restore the British road system, as well as a new railway building program to replace rail closed down under the Beeching Axe. Aim to reduce unemployment to under 500,000.
Healthcare: Nationalize all private hospitals & services, abolish prescription charges and begin a hospital building program.
Education: Nationalize all private schools, abolish tuition fees and maintain the school leaving age at 16. Abolish school uniforms and standardize the testing system.
Finance: Private banks are inefficient, illogical and greedy - nationalize all of them and create a small group of state banks for different requirements. Re-introduce foreign exchange controls. Abolish the Stock Exchange.

Social

Immigration: We're a crowded country - make sure there are clear controls on borders.

Foreign

You're insane! Although I guess you have one bright spot in the EU....
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #527 on: November 15, 2010, 07:49:08 AM »

Economic

Social

Foreign

You're insane! Although I guess you have one bright spot in the EU....

Yeah, the EU is an important issue to me as well.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #528 on: November 18, 2010, 01:22:55 AM »
« Edited: July 01, 2020, 06:52:43 PM by MyRescueKittehRocks »

Economic

Taxation: Abolish Income Tax and replace it with with 15% national sales tax
Abolish IRS and let the states handle it. Reduce Corporate Income Tax by 90%

Unions: Support right to work. Unions in some ways have overstepped their purpose

Social Security: let those under 35 opt out and create their own medical savings account

Trade: free trade with sharp opposition to NAFTA CAFTA and GATT due to their corruption of American sovereignty

Education: free market system, defend rights of homeschoolers, let students study all competitive worldviews

Budget and Debt: Support line item veto and Balanced Budget Amendments. Consider return to commodity based currency

Social

Abortion: End it. Emphasize adoption. States are the best way to do this not the Federal government

Marriage: States Rights  but support gay marriage bans. Teach "covenant  love" abstinence should be taught

Gun rights: Full Support of them. It's the best defense should the government go rogue

Drugs: Keep hard drugs illegal, we need further dialoge on marijuana

Privacy: Abolish Patriot Act and all related legislation. 4th Amendment Doesn't allow invasive searches just to fly.

Reparations: No

Antifa and BLM are to be designated as terrorist organizations. While I support the protests I oppose the violent destruction of lives and property.

Monuments and flags depicting Confederates in a positive light must be left as they are and if defaced,
I support the Trump administrations plan of 10 years in prison and community service to clean up and restore the monument.

Foreign Policy

I believe in a firm stand of noninterventionism. It is not right that America has been pursuing an agenda of empire. No entangeling alliances

Foreign Aid: eliminate all foreign aid

Israel: The Jewish people had an indelible impact in the founding of the United States. The existence of Israel as a modern country was politically fought for by the United States.

In light of recent unrest in the Middle East as well as protestings in Wisconsion and Indiana:
I oppose the Muslim Brotherhood as an enemy to the peace process. Why didn't Reagan deal with that evil dictator Quadaffi I don't know. However, we need to stay out of this and let their people handle their own internal affairs. But if one of those nations attacks the US, you would feel what level of military action in compliance with Christian Just War teaching

Regarding the protests in Madison and Indianapolis:
The actions of the Democrats in both cases are nothing short of deplorable. We all know that the unions are in bed with the Democrat Party and that is why they walked out in both cases. Both pieces of legislation in question are needed and must be passed.

Political Reforms:

Rank Choice voting (Purpose is to break the party duopoly)
Preserve, protect, and defend the electoral college
All 50 states adopt Maine/Nebraska model
Adopt Cube Root Rule to increase congressional representation to account for the new parties being in congress
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #529 on: December 02, 2010, 07:35:32 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2010, 07:37:27 PM by Refudiate »

Social Issues

Abortion: I'm staunchly pro-choice. It's the mothers decision what she does with her body.
Church and state: Keep the two completely separate. If you want to follow a religion, follow it, you don't need the government to "enforce" or "endorse" a religion for you to do that. Get religion out of schools (replace "R.E." with something more productive), abolish state run schools which have religious affiliation. Get rid of the Lords Spiritual.
Gay Marriage: Legalize
The Smoking Ban: Keep it and keep it as it is. There's no need to expand it or abolish it.
Euthanasia: Legalize it.
Prostitution: Illegal
Embryonic Stem Cell Research: I don't have a problem with it. The pros far outweigh any cons.
Immigration: I personally don't have a problem with the current system, although i'd support some stricter rules and regulations simply to put a stop to the rise of the far-right. Maybe like the Australian system.
Fox hunting: Keep it banned, obviously.

Economic Issues

Taxes: I favour the LibDems' approach to taxation. Hardline progressive taxation
Welfare state: Support it.
Healthcare: Increase funding for the NHS.
Education: Massively increase funding in education. As above, abolish religiously aligned schools. Encourage lessons to develop citizenship. Abolish tuition fees! Keep tuition fees at a current rate and freeze the cost to students over the lifetime of the parliament. Keep the Education Maintenance Allowance (E.M.A) and maybe extend the limit to £40,000 income to receive it. Make Sixth Form education compulsory. Abolish single-sex schools.
Minimum Wage: Keep it and raise it.
Infrastructure: Introduce congestion charges in all major cities, but massively cut prices for public transport.
Energy Policy: Build more wind farms and put up solar panels. Take advantage of tidal power and other renewable resources.

Foreign Issues

European Union: Further intergrate with Europe although I oppose a federal "United States of Europe". Stay in our current situation. Don't bail out Ireland, we can't afford it apparently. Don't join the Euro.
Iraq: Withdraw troops now. Blair was stupid for going along with GWB.
Afghanistan: Increase troop numbers there.
Military Involvement: Attack only if attacked or directly threatened. Don't blindly follow the US like with Iraq.
Military Budget: CUTCUTCUT!

Constitutional Issues

Devolution: Support the assemblies in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland as long as Scottish, Welsh and Northern Ireland MPs aren't allowed to vote on England-only matters OR form an English Parliment just for English issues and keep the current Houses of Parliament for UK-wide issues.
Scottish/Welsh Independance: Oppose! Keep the United Kingdom united.
Voting and elections: Keep the voting age at 18. Introduce a Proportional Representation electoral system, similar to the German system. NOT AV. Give constituents the ability to re-call their MP.
House of Lords: Democratically elect members 100% of the House of Lords, no appointments or hereditary peers or bishops or anyone who isn't accountable to an electorate. Allow party members to elect their party's leader, Labour should keep its electoral system, but the party leader (whether in government or opposition) should be subjected to a confidence vote by the PLP upon election and every year there after.
Monarchy: Abolish it completely. Become the United Republic and let the public elect the head of state. William and Kate shouldn't be given a penny of taxpayers money to pay for their wedding.
Fixed terms: Stupid idea.

Changes in italics.
Changes in italics.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #530 on: December 03, 2010, 08:36:18 AM »

Glad to see you're moving towards a saner EU policy Smiley Wink
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #531 on: December 03, 2010, 11:34:01 AM »

Glad to see you're moving towards a saner EU policy Smiley Wink

The whole "500,000 jobs to go, but we still have enough for Ireland" thing has really got to me.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #532 on: December 03, 2010, 05:19:56 PM »
« Edited: December 03, 2010, 08:22:34 PM by Mideast Assemblyman True Conservative »

Social Issues

Abortion: Ban.
Affirmative action: It's discrimination. Abolish.
"Hate crimes" legislation: Abolish.
Gun control: Strongly oppose.
Death penalty: Keep it as a sentencing option.
Euthanasia: Do not legalise.
Prostitution: Ban.

Economic Issues

Taxes: Should be as low and flat as possible.
Spending: Reduce.
Welfare: When discussing welfare, we should remember this quote: "Welfare's purpose should be to eliminate, as far as possible, the need for its own existence".
Education: I don't like public schools, and I support private schools/homeschooling, but don't abolish public schools.
Regulations: Reduce significantly.
Obamacare: Abolish.

Foreign Policy

Military: We should not cut it.
United Nations: I'm hostile to the UN, but I strongly oppose withdrawal.
Israel: Maintain our current position.
North Korea: Firmly oppose the Communist regime. The North may launch an actual war at any moment, and we need to be prepared for it.
Foreign aid: Reduce.

And finally, UK Issues (if I were British, these would be my positions on UK-specific issues):

NHS: Abolish.
EU: No further integration, no to adopting the euro.
AV: Oppose.
Monarchy: Ideally, it would be abolished. Not a penny of taxpayer money should be used to fund William's wedding. While we're at it, abolish the Church of England and the Act of Settlement.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #533 on: December 03, 2010, 06:50:50 PM »

I notice you don't mention medicare or social security.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #534 on: December 17, 2010, 07:17:51 PM »

Social Issues

Abortion: Completely legal.
Affirmative action: Neutral.
"Hate crimes" legislation: Support.
Gun control: Support.
Death penalty: Opposed.
Euthanasia: Legalize it.
Prostitution: Legalize it.

Economic Issues

Taxes: Abolish income tax for those earning less than $100,000, increase for those earning $100,000 or more.
Spending: Cut wasteful spending.
Welfare: Support.
Education: Support public education.
Regulations: Increase on industries.
Obamacare: Abolish it. Replace with an American NHS.

Foreign Policy

Military: Abolish it.
United Nations: I'm not too pleased with the UN, but I strongly oppose withdrawal.
Israel: Stop supporting.
North Korea: Be diplomatic.
Foreign aid: It depends.

And finally, UK Issues:

NHS: Increase funding.
EU: Further integration, but no to adopting the Euro.
AV: Support.
Monarchy: Ideally, it would be abolished. Not a penny of taxpayer money should be used to fund William's wedding.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #535 on: January 10, 2011, 11:00:34 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2011, 01:20:00 AM by Brother Bilo »

Social Issues

Abortion: I'm staunchly pro-life, but support exceptions when the mother's life is in danger.
Separation of church and state: Those words appear nowhere in the Constitution. I support freedom OF religion and not freedom FROM religion.
Gay marriage: Marriage should be between a man and a woman. I support civil unions and domestic partnerships.
Affirmative action: Reverse discrimination.
Hate crimes: Not what the libs pass.
Gun control: Strongly oppose.
Death penalty: Support it for 1rst degrees murders, and eve3n serial rapists who emotionally take the lives of others, but not for statutory rape.
Flag burning: I strongly oppose it personally, but whether or not it's a 1st Amendment right is questionable.
Euthanasia: Not really.
Prostitution: Legalize it for the age of 18.
Immigration: I support legal immigration 100%. For illegal immigration: build a wall and
Drugs: Against it.
I support almost all sexuality when it's part of nature and not other preventable addictions  such as drugs.

Economic Issues

Taxes: Very low taxes.
Trade: I believe free trade grows our economy.
Spending: Gov't. Federal only for national security and states for roads and some other areas that the constitution grants, no more.
Welfare: Crap.
Education: Confused on this issue.
Regulations: Don't regulate excessively, but make sure that a Madoff scandal doesn't happen again.

Foreign Policy

Military Involvement:
Support! Especially if they are undemocratic and are supporting terrorism
United Nations: Pretty useless.
Israel: I support Israel 1000%.

You forgot to include:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #536 on: January 11, 2011, 01:00:52 AM »
« Edited: January 11, 2011, 01:29:10 AM by Brother Bilo »

This is poorly written but I believe it is well thought out-

Social Agenda:
What's a better motto?

A More Perfect Union For A Proud, But Less-Than-Perfect People.

Or

Practical Values For America's Future

Civil Rights and Liberties: Agree with Progressive Democrats in protecting and expanding Civil Rights and Liberties, except when Pro-Republican Conservatives advocate for greater protection of Civil Rights and Liberties.

Civil Rights, Liberties and First Amendment issues in Public Schools: Allow student-lead prayer on school grounds but oppose any form of faculty supported prayer. Defend current jurisprudence; Keep the Lemon Test, but allow parents receiving public vouchers for the schooling of their children, if they so choose, send their children to parochial schools that would
otherwise qualify for voucher funding.

Domestic Relations: I think that adultery (having sex with someone who you are not in a relationship with when you are in a relationship with another person) and fornication(having sex with a person who is in a relationship with another) are serious civil issues when dealing with a divorce. Though no-fault divorces should be maintained, a spouse/very significant other should have the right to sue a fornicator for common law relationship interference and adultery is and should be considered in any divorce decree.

Substantive Due Process and Civil Rights and Liberties in Bioethics: Pro-Choice; Support current Federal Jurisprudence but will entertain any idea to promote live child birth that is not designed to invalidate any current Jurisprudence. Furthermore, I oppose any Executive actions that are designed to discriminate for or against the performance of abortions. Publically funded sex-ed programs are  important and should simply intend on preventing teen pregnancy, family/dating violence and the spread of sexually transmitted infections. The right to any birth control and privacy should not be abridged. Biomedical and bioethical research and funding policy should not be used as an improper venue for trying to change current abortion or birth control policy.      

Equal Rights in Bioethics: I support the legal protection and recognition of homosexual relations and relationships or in the alternative, an end to the state recognition of sectarian marriage. Beyond this, efforts to honestly promote live child birth should include granting the right of adopting children to homosexual couples and the administrative requirements to the recent repeal of DADT should be expedited.  

Church/State: See above. The current Jurisprudence is sufficient lest we become a country where religion controls government (see Iran, Iraq or any other impoverished or any significant emerging nation that is not India or China) or vice versa (see France’s banning of burqas and crosses).  

Regarding the Regulation of Intoxicating Substances: Do more with less and protect the rights of responsible adults.  Maintain current drug war policies but let states opt out of federal drug control schedules. The State of Florida and other states should use this new power to decriminalize marijuana. The current federal case law on this issue of the Commerce Clause and the drug war was wrongly decided and should be overruled.  Allow misdemeanants convicted of drug charges to use Federal Financial Aid. Furthermore, Congress should waive the requirement that states must set their minimal drinking age to 21 to receive federal road construction funding. Current DUI laws are sufficient.

Affirmative Action: Neutral on issue and its a states' rights issue. Current federal jurisprudence should be respected on this issue. Consider a more race neutral way of promoting social mobility for underprivileged people. A mind is a terrible thing to waste and poverty and social disenfranchisement damage both individuals and communities and we should also be mindful that a disproportionate number of such individuals are non-Europeans, disabled or have mental illnesses.

Immigration: I support the current status quo on the issue and favor enforcing current laws. The United States is not an old world European nation trying to protect its ancient culture; support the DREAM Act. However, perhaps we should start consider more aggressive ways of stopping illegal immigration that do not involve cruel or unusual methods. Illegal immigrants already residing in the United States should be allowed to a path to legitimize their presence if they are otherwise eligible for various degrees of naturalization that may or may not rise to the level of citizenship. Otherwise, non eligible illegals should be deported in ways that are not cruel and unusual. English should be accepted by Congress as a “common and unifying language”, though Spanish and indigenous languages should be considered “languages of local importance”.

2nd Amendment: Continue to support current Supreme Court trends. Legalize assault weapons and conceal carry. Support "Make My Day" laws. Background checks are necessary, but no permanent loss of gun rights for misdemeanants (see Student Aid).
Euthanasia: Support Oregon's Law. “Euthanasia", by definition, is letting someone die or hastening someone’s death without their consent. This is indefensible homicide in itself. Physician Assisted Suicide should be a choice for ethical doctors and responsible adults that are non under duress as an end of life treatment plan under strict guidelines.

Death Penalty: Oppose with exception to terrorism or in war time. A Death Penalty policy similar to Italy or Israel’s seems to be a good model. This could be accomplished on the state level, congressional level or through the courts.

Prostitution: Legalize in its most casual and carefree forms inasmuch as it does not involve lewd or licentious behavior/solicitation outdoors or in a place where there is likely children. Otherwise continue to enforce the Mann Act and its prohibition against sex trafficking and pimping.

Freedom of Speech, Obscenity and Lewdness: So long as children are not involved and no other crime is committed, pornography and reasonable expressions of human sexuality should go un-harassed. Furthermore, there should be designated places for public nudity with current laws enforced everywhere else. All other speech should only be restricted when it is likely to be encountered by minors  and legislation regarding violent video games should be a matter for the states only. I am still really confused on campaign finance and ethics reform.

Tort Reform: The 7th,8th and 11th amendments are suitable for this need. Generally support current Tort Reform laws that keep medical malpractice caps above $1,500,000, punitive damages at one and one half treble or $500,000, whichever is greater and torts against the sovereign above $500,000.

Gambling: Laws against this seem unreasonable given that when one invests, one is gambling.

Patriot Act: Strongly Oppose. We all must understand that 9/11 was a once in a lifetime event and that the suspension of Probable Cause and prospects of suspension of Habeas Corpus are unreasonable.

Hate Laws: I oppose hate speech (I would consider flag burning hate speech) restrictions, but a violent crime done clearly in the name of hate should be aggravated (much in the way it is when one batters or assaults a police officer). However, judges should  be more open to instruct juries about an assault or battery being considered “consented” to if there is a sufficient taunting or hostile audience, much in the way it is a partial defense to homicide.

Rapists/Pedophiles: Perhaps we should try physical, not chemical,castration and use them as eunuchs. Naw, just kidding. It would be pretty funny though. Who doesn’t like genital mutilation jokes? However, I think its reasonable and could be used to get a sentence time or treatment or registry plan reduced.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #537 on: January 11, 2011, 02:14:09 AM »
« Edited: January 11, 2011, 02:27:41 AM by Brother Bilo »

Economic Issues: Moderate Liberal

Taxes: Restore the Clinton Tax Code after the current Tax Holiday and reassess the Federal revenues at that time.

Unions: Supportive. As companies buy labor, there should be companies that sell it by selling themselves. The Employer Free Choice Act seems to be the best way to go about redistributing some selling power back to those who perform services and produce goods.

Free trade: Ask me next year. The question depends on whether the United States has enough unique and profitable industries to naturally maintain high enough wages for the welfare of its work force. At this point, I would say “no” and that there should be tariffs on goods from emerging manufacturers. However, these emerging markets might stop growing as fast as the US’s economy begins to see substantial growth. In this circumstance, the US’s high wage  market can simply exist on the fact that India and China just aren’t producing enough to cheap goods to fuel American or European growth. Otherwise, the US will have to find some way of protecting out of date industries until the American businessman can find a new way to make money that involves the American worker.

Spending: Levels of spending should be pinned to inflation until their associated program’s internal finances and administrative structures are reviewed and waste identified. Where cuts in spending can be made they should be made.

Social Security: Let’s face it- The elderly simply aren’t voting for Democrats anymore. My generation is likely to see Social Security canceled by the time we are old to start receiving it and those that are currently receiving it apparently don’t want it. I think we should start entertaining plans to start privatizing Social Security in a way that allows those born before 1960 to still have their Title II retirement benefits. That being said, I’m pretty open minded though it would be great that we found some viable alternatives. A lot of people are talking about some sort of Government buyout program for aging workers funded the same way traditional Title II programs are. People say “just let us have our money”.  

Space Program: Support the Obama plan of retiring the Space Shuttle, Privatizing U.S. involvement in LEO and ISS manned activities and the commitment of all our man-rated space development into a heavy lift launcher that will get a man or woman out of the Earth-Moon system by 2029.  This really isn’t about exploration anymore. Its about finally finding a large scale use of for space that can improve our standard of living down here on Earth beyond creating a supply of $300 pillows, $2 science museum ice cream or $20,000 watches. That’s not going to be found if we simply focus on turning low-earth orbit into a junk yard, parking lot and perhaps a $750,000.00 a night motel complex that caters to the average eccentric metro schpuppel (the Family Guy game with the balloons played by nidicolous people from Scandinavian Countries) star from Finland (or some other country that, at least in theory is really white, nerdy, liberal and whose women are supposed to make sex with anyone else seem more boring than touching yourself) or common closeted Russian mobster.

Welfare: This issue is a bit confusing. The ultimate goal is to provide a way to keep people alive who may be productive in the future, but at a level where work is considered a palpable alternative to receiving welfare.  

Health-care: I support all of the major parts of the AHCAA of 2010. However, I am willing to drop the insurance mandate and see if we can get to 5% uninsured without it. If not, we should just go with it. Eventually, we should put in some type of limited public option with good supplemental plans when Republicans  up again. Single payer just seems like it would be a bitch to do. Its probably already enough that we help people buy their own insurance. We should do that with car insurance. hardy har har.  

Education: Allow Republicans to introduce pilot voucher systems and up-or-out teach merit pay systems, but do not use either as an excuse to cut per capita funding to public schools, student to teacher rations, extracurricular programs or scholarship programs. I’m going the “Paris Hilton” route on this- “do a little bit of everything”. I think that’s the Obama route as well sans his misgivings about vouchers.

Environment- Human-caused Global Warming is probably, but not certainly a severe problem. However, the political will behind addressing it appears to be dead even amoungst the democras on this forum. It appears that the best we can do is simply adapt to it if and when it starts causing sustained and serious damage and death. However, there is still a lot of political will behind saving money and not throwing it away to people who don't even like us half way across the world...nevermind creating jobs when we have nine four unemployment.  I think the solution is to pursue an aggresive war against the use of fossil fuels that creates more jobs than it eleminates....ways of doing this could include fighting for higher CAFE standards, financing more projects like ITER and various solar experiments. Issuing more permits for nuclear plants could be a good start as well.

Foreign Policy Issues- Multilateral, but relatively hawkish

START Treaty- Support

2011 Defense Budget- Support

Democracy and Trade: Don't punish the citizens of a country because its government is destructive to the common good or its people; Oppose sanctions and foreign aid.

Afghanistan: Support the President.

United Nations: Strongly support. We must work with other nations to 'lock out' dubious undemocratic nations from key posts. The UN can be used as an instrument to secure America's leadership.  

Rogue States: Agree with current tactics; Prepare for war with NK and Iran, but don’t attempt to instigate it. That usually works, whether or not there’s ever a war.

Israel: Strongly support Israel and its defense of it's people and territory. Support establishment of Palestinian State under democratic leadership. Propose that East Jerusalem become a joint administered 'free city' under the UN. Allow Israel to deal with Gaza in whatever way it sees fit. The ultimate objective is simply a way to secure Israel’s future with as little suffering as possible.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #538 on: January 11, 2011, 07:45:30 AM »
« Edited: January 11, 2011, 08:03:40 PM by Redalgo »

Economic:

Government should enjoy primacy over the economy in a mixed, social democratic system. Cradle-to-grave welfare benefits and social rights should be generous and provided by the state... these benefits funded by and provided universally to the citizenry. This would include state aid for caring after children and dependent seniors, more paid parental and sick leave from work, substantial assistance for students interested in tertiary education, nationalization of the health insurance industry to achieve universal coverage, and a state-guaranteed, survivable minimum standard of living. People should essentially be entitled to basic human needs and equality of opportunity so that they may more fairly compete in the market for better qualities of life. I oppose class warfare and am not anti-business but believe everyone deserves some dignity, rights, and social justice.

Rather that focusing on robust expansion of GDP I am more concerned about controlling the rates of inflation and unemployment. The state should embrace conservationist policies that prioritize long-term sustainability of development over short-term market demands. I favor nuclear energy, renewables, aggressive reductions in carbon emissions, fair trade, the right of workers to safely unionize, allowing Third World trade partners to engage in limited forms of protectionism to shelter vulnerable parts of their developing economies, and oppose a return to the gold standard. In terms of taxation I would want the corporate income tax reduced by at least 10%, payroll taxes hiked, and progressive income taxes adjusted so that they reach a top bracket in excess of 50%.

Social:

My stance on social issues is mostly progressive. I support freedoms of assembly, association, free expression, lifestyle, and religion - the line I draw being that if ones actions are not harming or putting in substantive danger anyone else it really shouldn't be any of the government's business to oppose. I believe marijuana, prostitution, and physician assisted suicide should be legalized but regulated. In regards to separation of church and state all public institutions and national symbols should be secular. God ought to be removed from the national motto, official oaths, and Pledge of Allegiance. Funding for the arts should promote creativity, expression, and preserve the rich cultural and historic traditions of our nation. Support for scientific research should also be expanded on a number of fronts. NASA's budget in particular I want to see substantially boosted for progress towards manned Mars missions and other publicly-backed achievements in space.

I support affirmative action, a woman's right to choose (with some limits on 3rd trimester abortion), civil marriage laws that treat hetero and homosexuals equally, stem cell research, campaign finance reform, electoral reform, tort reform, harbor some animal rights concerns, and believe welfare policies should promote gender equality. I oppose torture, capital punishment, mandatory minimums, the Patriot Act, domestic espionage, warrant-less searches or seizures, unrestricted gun ownership, smoking in most public areas, most forms of censorship, abstinence only sex ed., and regulation of what goes on between consenting adults in the privacy of the home. There are a few "victimless" crimes I consider ridiculous. Many other minor stances have likely slipped my mind. Anyway, I am generally fond of diversity and have an accepting, multicultural attitude.

Foreign Policy

Fundamentally, in terms of foreign policy I think the promotion of national interests does not have to create zero-sum conflicts among countries. It is difficult but important to balance concerns for freedom with equality, human rights with self-determination, and idealism with pragmatism. I favor generous aid for lesser-developed countries and some policies that do not strictly serve our own interests. A world government should - along with other things - regulate economic globalization. Potential member states such as the United States should be a part of this union even if it means becoming only semi-autonomous within it. Militarily, I am somewhat pacifist. Wars ought to be waged only in defense, to intervene in cases of egregious human rights violations (e.g. genocide) when diplomacy has failed, and whenever possible should be multilateral in nature. I would also like more arms reduction treaties with Russia, the eventual whittling down of WMD stockpiles around the world until they can finally be abolished outright, and deep cuts to defense spending.

In the Israeli-Palestinian conflict a two-state solution in which the Palestinian capital becomes East Jerusalem is appealing. I lean moderately Palestinian on what ought to be done and feel that the U.S. has been supporting Israel too unconditionally, but can still sympathize with their grievances and concerns on the other side of the dispute. Iran and North Korea present even thornier problems. For now it is difficult to say what else could be done that is not already. Putting that aside, I would prefer the War on Drugs end and the embargo on Cuba be lifted. Immigration reform and a pathway to citizenship for those already here is much desired. To some extent my perspective is cosmopolitan... yet at the same time morally relativist. I want states to cooperate, become interdependent, defuse conflicts, celebrate their diversity, promote international solidarity, and pool their assets for the sake of human development and advancing other common goals.

Edited for grammatical slips that flipped a few of my opinions inside out. Tongue
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #539 on: January 11, 2011, 06:10:10 PM »

Economic

Taxes and Spending: Government should take as little of people's money as possible, and not saddle people with more taxes just because the government decide to start a new program
Gold Standard: In Favor of making our currency worth something.
NAFTA: Undecided, though leaning protectionist.
Unions: Unions have the right to collectively bargain, but should not have a monopoly on the employment of a certain area or industry.
Poverty: Believe in reducing poverty through free market forces, like Jack Kemp.

Overall: Jack Kemp with a distrust of Free Trade

Social

Abortion: If not for the tenth amendment, I would support a federal government ban on abortion. However, with the tenth amendment, I support a Right to Life amendment as well as all of the states banning abortion.
Gay marriage: Not in favor of, but because of the tenth amendment again, should be delegated to the states where hopefully it will be struck down.
Illegal Immigration: Ship 'em back to wherever they came from, make them come in legally. Secure both borders.
Drugs: Not in favor of, but states once again.
Patriot Act: Unsure, though I used to lean in favor.

Overall: Basic constitutionalist social conservative.

Foreign Policy

Iraq: I don't know how true the evidence was of WMD's, however if I had been told that Iraq had WMD's, I would have invaded.
Afghanistan: Glad that Petreaus is in charge. Hopefully we can fix Afghanistan, however it is not likely. I do not support withdrawal because that means the reversing of ten years of fighting and over 1'000 soldiers dead for nothing.
Israel: Not sure if I would have supported its creation, however it's there, it's a Democracy, and we should support them. However, there should be a two state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian dispute, if that's possible.
North Korea: If they decide they want to fight, bring it.
Iran: Let Israel do what is in its national interests and take out the nuclear sites. Also, see North Korea.

Overall: Neo-Conservative hawk. Though it doesn't show, I do have a more cautious side however the issues of the day don't allow this to be shown.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #540 on: January 12, 2011, 03:47:18 PM »

Just some minor points that need to be made...

Typical vague phrase. Something I would usually see on a platform on one of the parties. Maybe some expansion on this? What programs are 'waste'? What programs are worth me being saddled with taxes?

Corporate welfare. Lovely. Protectionism is one of the most disgusting policies any government could possibly implement. Not to say I support NAFTA, but I definitely would prefer it to the state propping up industry.

So, would you support breaking up corporate monopolies as well? Or are you one of those conservatives who think Unions are the only corrupt bureaucratic monolitic organizations in the workplace?

lol

No exceptions? Rape? Incest? If the mother might die because of it?

This doesn't make any sense. Why do unborn babies have some sort of 'right' to life?

I could get into a long and lengthy philosophical debate on this, but these sorts of debates never really get anywhere. So instead, I'll just point out some typical conservative hypocrisy. Should states have the right to ban churches from performing gay marriages even if they choose to do so?

Of course, disgusting protectionism is nothing without a dose of xenophobic talk about protecting Americans from those evil foreigners. I'm sure you had nothing against the Know-Nothings doing the same thing in the 1850s to your fellow Catholics?

Why would you protect the 'rights' of states over, you know, actual people?

BLASPHEMY!!11! You're infringing on the rights of the states!

Bleh. Constitutionalism is a idiotic thing.

The fact that 1000 soldiers have died is not a valid reason to stay the course. If the war was a mistake (which I am not saying it was, necessarily) then that mistake should be ended, regardless of the costs associated with that mistake.

lol Let's see, how has that 'bring it' attitude worked for us from 2000-2008?

How is starting a war with Iran in Israeli's interest? Don't you see the many possible implications of an Israeli attack on Iran? Do you see the possibility that maybe such an attack might fail? An Israeli war with Iran means an Iranian war with us. Do we really need that sort of commitment while we're policing two countries that are neighboring Iran?

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #541 on: January 12, 2011, 04:11:06 PM »

I was more saddened by his deference to the Constitution over Catholic teaching. Alas, most Catholic don't care about the Church's social teaching.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #542 on: January 17, 2011, 01:31:36 AM »
« Edited: January 17, 2011, 01:33:27 AM by feeblepizza »

Economic
Taxes and Spending: Institute a flat tax of 10% for the bottom 80% of earners and of 20% for the top 20% of earners; pass a Balanced Budget Amendment to the Constitution
Gold Standard: I'd like to back our currency up with something of value, so yes
NAFTA: Repeal it ASAP
Unions: Get rid of card check, and prevent federal employees from joining unions
Poverty: The best way to reduce poverty is through the free market
Overall: A supply sider with protectionist trade policies

Social
Abortion: In favor of state bans, not a federal ban
Gay marriage: I support the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA)
Illegal Immigration: Secure our borders, and ship em out of our country
Drugs: End the federal War on Drugs and let states handle the issue (on that level, I'm all for decriminalization)
Patriot Act: Vigorous supporter
Overall: Constitutionalist and strong supporter of states' rights

Foreign Policy
Iraq: Partition it and then leave
Afghanistan: Hopeless quagmire. We'd be better off out of there
Israel: If possible, I will always support a two-state solution between Israel and the Palestinian Authorty
North Korea: If they nuke us, then nuke back
Iran: Try to steer clear of confronation until absolutely necessary. When that point comes, only bomb government/military facilites and their nuclear bases
Overall: Diplomacy works best, but we should always be ready for a battle
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #543 on: January 17, 2011, 02:33:37 AM »

That's almost universally terrible.
Frink
Lafayette53
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -6.17

« Reply #544 on: January 17, 2011, 05:28:13 AM »

lol
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #545 on: January 19, 2011, 03:19:54 AM »

Good views overall feeblepizza. My economics are closer to the Austrian School but you do have some good points. I like the gold standard and a flat/fair tax and a balanced budget amendment, but the protectionism is a bit puzzling. I'm against NAFTA, CAFTA,GATT but I'm in favor of free trade.

Socially I agree whole heartedly minus the Patriot Act.

Foreign Policy, We should just leave Iraq and Afganistan. I oppose a two state solution with regards to Israel and the Palestinans. They already have one. It's called Jordan. Besides in the long run Israel is gonna be much more important issue in the coming generations. North Korea will be part of South Korea before 2020.. You can bank on the Korea statement. Iran is more of a wait and see approach.

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #546 on: January 23, 2011, 01:33:24 AM »

It's been well over a year since I've posted in this thread, so I think it's about time to do so again.

Overall Philosophy: Though there are a number of things I could be labeled as, I like to describe myself as an “amoristic communitarian”. This ideology primarily combines aspects of Christian democracy and Catholic social teaching with a secular underpinning focused on the morality and primacy of love for the purpose of pursuing happiness, self-fulfillment, and spiritual growth. I believe that love, in both the broadest and in the most specific senses, is the quality that we as individuals and we as a society must embody, and I believe it to be the core moral value. I reject the core conceit of libertarianism—that people are self-sufficient—and believe that, as well as the individual, communities and society must also be equally looked after, for no action occurs in isolation, and social interaction serves as both the catalyst and conduit for achieving self-fulfillment, and presents the stage for love to blossom. I have a much longer discussion on this idea and how it relates to political issues, but for the purposes of this post, I am going to keep it brief.

Social Issues:

Abortion: Strongly oppose, except in the case of a direct and immediate threat to the life of the mother to which there is no other remedy. I believe that the life of a person starts at conception.

Affirmative Action: Generally oppose, though there are some exceptions when talking about income-based affirmative action. I oppose race or gender based affirmative action as unjust and discriminatory in most situations.

Death Penalty: Strongly oppose in virtually all circumstances. I generally oppose killing in anything short of immediate and direct self-defense or defense of another.

Drugs and Alcohol: I believe that we should treat drug usage as a disease and seek to rehabilitate users rather than imprison them. However, usage should be actively discouraged as it is detrimental to the individual and society.

Euthanasia: Oppose, as it is unfair to ask a doctor to kill another person, the very antithesis of their profession. I do believe in extremely limited circumstances that provisions could be made, however.

Gun Rights: I believe that any type of gun can be responsibly handled if it is in the hands of the right person. As such, I believe that we should control who can purchase guns, but I do not favor limits on which guns they can purchase.

Immigration: I do not believe in the concept of an illegal person. I believe we must actively seek to welcome all individuals who seek to join our society, both legally and socially. I do believe that conditions should be met, such as back tax payment and proficiency in English for illegal immigrants to earn citizenship, if at all possible.

Marriage: I believe that marriage and the family are vital and foundational aspects of society and community. I believe that marriage is the highest form of romantic love, and should be revered, encouraged, and protected, but it is also something that must be earned in order to be appreciated. To this end, I support covenant marriage laws with, among other things, mandatory marriage counseling and safeguards against divorce.

Prostitution: Similar to drug users, we should treat prostitutes as victims of circumstance rather than as criminals. We should actively help impoverished women who view prostitution as their own option, but prostitution should not be condoned or encouraged. Those who profit from this exploitation should face repercussions, however.

Separation of Church and State: While religion should not be actively enforced by the government, the State should not rebuke the ability of many churches to help fighting poverty, homelessness, disease, and other societal issues. Anyone who has the ability to help others should be embraced, not denied.

Stem Cell Research: Oppose new embryonic stem cell research, but actively support adult and umbilical cord research along with induced pluripotency procedures.

Economic Issues:

Education: I support the public education system, but believe that there are major improvements necessary to bring it up to what it should be. One main improvement is that education funding should serve to counteract the cycle of poverty by centralizing funding and by basing it on need and improvement rather than on pure ability.

Energy: For the sake of ourselves, our future generations, and our planet, I believe we must immediately take steps to move to an alternative energy-based infrastructure that runs on an regionally-focused mix of wind, solar, hydroelectric, tidal, geothermal, convection, nuclear, hydrogen fuel cell, and other sustainable technologies. Vehicles should run on hydrogen or electricity.

Environment: I believe that, in order to protect and cultivate life, we must protect and sustain our environment to best of our ability. Humanity must serve as faithful stewards of the Earth, as we are the only ones capable of doing so.

Fiscal Policy: I believe in New Keynesian economic theory and the modern macroeconomic consensus. I support countercyclical fiscal and monetary policies that actively rectify market failures and excesses.

Health Care: I support a form of single-payer universal health care as my ideal health care system that provides for basic care, with additional care available for purchase on the open market. I believe that market-based basic health care an intrinsically flawed and immoral system that does not treats people in a loving manner, but rather profits on suffering.

Social Justice: One of the most loving actions is to help another in need without regard for the result on yourself. Society too should embrace this concept. We must extend ourselves to help those in need through any means possible. Although government programs are the most effective in this area, the work of charities and religious organizations should be encouraged and embraced.

Social Security: I do not support the privatization of social security. We must protect this social program for the sake of those who need it the most. In order to safeguard the promise that is social security, we must raise or lift entirely the cap of social security contributions on high-income earners.

Taxation: I believe in a system of taxation that places a fair burden on all members of society. The only system of taxation that I know of that I believe is capable of doing so is a progressive income taxation system. I favor other forms in addition to this system, such as progressive corporate taxes, sin taxes, a limited sales tax on high price items, and some others.

Foreign Issues

General Philosophy: We must embrace humility and love on the world stage.

United Nations: The United Nations is a valuable element of global diplomacy that should be embraced and strengthened with the ultimate, far-off goal of a federal world government that recognizes the unity of life and the human race.

War: War, which has been and continues to be the greatest threat to human life and  the world itself, should be avoided at almost all costs. The only just war is one in immediate and direct self-defense, or the immediate and direct self-defense of another nation or people. Diplomacy should always be our main weapon. When war is necessary, it is important to continue to respect human rights and dignity for enemy prisoners and combatants to the extent possible.

Weapons of Mass Destruction: To the extent possible, all chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear weapons should be eradicated; however, I acknowledge the necessity of keeping a limited nuclear arsenal for deterrence purposes only. The use of such weapons is never moral.
Dunce
AndrewJackson111
Rookie
United States

« Reply #547 on: January 31, 2011, 05:39:34 PM »

AndrewJackson111's Complicated Political Views!

Economic: Libertarian, Conservative, Goldwaterite.
Unions: Abolish, and ban. They hurt the economy immensely, and really have no use in this country. Workers aren't forced to work.

Taxation: Lower taxes for all brackets. Eliminate estate, excise, gas, and other useless taxes. I am Pro-Taxpayer, and Anti-Tax increases.

Shipping off jobs: Oppose the outsourcing of U.S. Jobs, would support taxes, and tariffs on outsourcing.

Education: Support Private Vouchers, encourage Private schooling, homeschooling, get rid of DOE, let the education system be taken over at the local levels.

Healthcare: Oppose Obamacare, and other forms of leftist healthcare. Oppose Universal Healthcare, and Single payer.

Environment: Don't believe in Climate Change, or Global warming. Sorry Al Gore. Also, want to abolish the EPA, and most regulations on companies.

Illegal Immigration: I support SB 1070, I oppose amnesty, and Want our borders closed! Now!

Energy: Drill baby drill! I support Offshore drilling in Alaska, California, and Florida.

War on Poverty: Oppose it, and it is a failed war.

Affirmitive Action: I oppose this stupid policy, and would support repealing it.

Social Issues: Moderately Liberal, Moderately Libertarian, States rights
Abortion: Strongly Pro-Life. I would support overturning Roe v. Wade, and letting the states decide on the issues.

Gay Rights: I support Gay Marriage, gay adoption, and other gay rights issues.

Gun Rights: I support the 2nd Amendment. I oppose almost all regulations on guns. I oppose the automatic handgun ban.

War on Drugs and Marijuana: I support the war on drugs, and I oppose Marijuana legalization. It's an odd position for a libertarian to hold but I stand by my position on these issues.

Prostitution: Strongly support, and hopefully it'll become a national private business in the future.

Death Penalty: Strongly support. This is a needed form of punishment in today's society.

Stem Cell Research: Support for adult stem cells, oppose for fetus stem cells.

Euthanasia: Support. I am a moral man, on some issues Tongue Families need to have this right!

Foreign Policy: Dove, Libertarian, Pro-Israel Libertarian.
Israel: Support strongly, but oppose military funding.

War on Terror: Mixed. I support it, but it was heavily mismanged. Thanks Dubya...

Iraq: Oppose. Never should've been here.

Afghanistan: Oppose. We have been there waaaaaay to long!

Iran: Oppose any type of sanction against Iran. Would not support war.

North Korea: Oppose going to war with the Koreans.

Defense spending: Cut! CUT! CUT!.....by a lot, it's a bloated beast!

United Nations and NATO: Leave both organizations, no point of being in these idiotic groups.

wilji1090
Rookie
United States

« Reply #548 on: February 18, 2011, 10:09:30 PM »

Social Issues:

Abortion: Pro-Choice at the Federal level. I don't have a say in what my girlfriend can do with her body, so I believe it should be a matter of choice.

Marriage/Family: I'm for same-sex marriage. It won't devalue the marriage of a heterosexual couple any more than the Drive-Thru Chapels in Las Vegas.

Homeland Security: Pfft....what security? Break up the Department of Homeland Security into the agencies it absorbed and allow them to function independently of each other. End the TSA group so no one is forcefully groped against their will ever again. End the PATRIOT Act entirely.

Affirmative Action: For it to an extent; however, eliminate racial quotas as that has the damaging effect in race-relations.

Death Penalty: I'm not anti-Death Penalty. I AM anti-the wrong guy getting killed. It's not perfect, so let's end it until it can be perfected.

Drugs and Alcohol: If I can vote, smoke a pack of cigarettes, and go to fight in a war at the age of 18 should I not be allowed to drown my troubles in booze at that point as well? The War on Drugs is also equally useless, $37.2 billion of our tax payer dollars wasted. Legalize and tax marijuana and I promise it would have a good effect in deterring cannabis users.

Euthanasia: I'm not sure really. I support State rulings I suppose.

Gun Rights: I'm in favor of a moderate gun-control policy. Obviously you don't want military weapons being used by gangs, but at the same time I respect the 2nd Amendment and cherish it.

Immigration: I think what we should do is do like the United Kingdom.

Prostitution: You ever go to the Bunny Ranch in Vegas? The women there are protected and tested for STDs regularly. Why not do something like that? Women are protected by bouncers and so forth, they aren't subjected to the possibility of being brutally raped by someone. If the customer breaks the rules, they aren't welcome there anymore. Pure and simple.

Separation of Church and State: This is kinda odd for one growing up on the Constitution; however, I've noticed in Western European countries that have a nationalized church, that attendance is actually lower and the politics are less influenced by religion there than it is here. Now obviously that probably wouldn't work so well here, but I think it should be made apparent we don't let religion influence politics.

Education: This country has in it, the ability to surpass all countries in education. End the No Child Left Behind act, and while we're at it, RADICALLY refine how the system works. Look at other countries that rank higher in their education than we do and see how we can do it better than them. How about an amendment from FDR's Second Bill of Rights? The Right to a Good Education? First four years of college free, though you still have to pay for books and supplies.

Stem Cell Research: Legalize it. The benefits are definitely there.

Economic Issues:

Banking: If we cannot end the Federal Reserve, put it under the direct control of the Congress, since Congress is in charge of the nation's purse/wallet/whatever.

Fiscal Policy: How about a balanced budget amendment?

Energy: Let's get into the alternative fuel game and expand upon it!

Environment: Look at Theodore Roosevelt's idea and go from there.

Universal Health Care: Ralph Nader's idea of single payer healthcare has it down, free medicare/medicaid for all.

Social Security: Roll it back to what Franklin Roosevelt originally created it for, the elderly and the genuinely disabled.

Free Trade: End NAFTA and get out of the World Trade Organization.

Foreign Issues

Foreign Aid: I believe the United States needs to help others when they ask for it, namely like Haiti or something.

Military: Scale back on the number of bases we have. Namely getting out of nations like Germany. I do support the idea of protecting other nations from others, namely Israel being protected from Iran and keeping Pakistan and India off of each other.

War: How about this, if the United States is attacked we go to war. Otherwise, we shouldn't be attacking other nations.

UN/NATO/Etc.: As useless as I see the United Nations, I think it is beneficial we stay there. NATO however, I see as incredibly useful so we should stay.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #549 on: February 19, 2011, 12:34:42 PM »

I'm bored, so I'll do this baby again.

Overall Philosophy: Ideologically, a mix of social libertarianism and economic moderate Keynesianism influenced by the liberal and radical tradition. Ironically and paradoxically, however, I happen to have a more pessimistic Marxist and Weberian analysis of history.

Social Issues:

General Philosophy: A dangerous and evil social libertarian. I like to rehash Trudeau's quote, and thus I believe that the state has no place in regulating personal lives. Persons should be free to do whatever they wish as long as it doesn't infringe on other people's liberties, security and wellbeing and they should also suffer the consequences of their actions.

Abortion: Strongly support, pro-choice and all. It's a women's choice and the government should have no say in this kind of stuff. But the government could and should do public campaigns to educate people about the issue and what it represents.

Affirmative Action: Generally oppose, especially in the case of race or gender though I might support income-based affirmative action.

Death Penalty: I support the death penalty as a rare and absolute last resort for the most heinous of crimes such as mass murder, recidivist child rapists and so forth.

Drugs and Alcohol: Legalize, regulate and tax medical marijuana and other soft drugs. They're similar to alcohol and regulating it would make it far easier to control.

Euthanasia: Fully support and all. People of sane mind should do whatever they want with themselves.

Gun Rights: I support some sort of gun control and background checks. I support the long-gun registry.

Immigration: I support a path to citizenship or legal regularization of an illegal immigrant's status on the condition that they speak the language, have a job and have no past criminal record on universally-recognized crimes such as murder in his/her country. Deportation of illegals who have jobs, have a family and have settled down is vile and inhuman. However, there needs to be stricter guidelines for legal immigration.

Gay Marriage: Fully support. People who love each other, regardless of their sex, should be able to get married. Once again, this is a personal issue and the government should have absolutely no say in this issue. Moralfags who insist on shoving their heads in everybody's private life disgust me.

Prostitution: Prostitution should be legalized if only because prostitutes should be treated as victims of circumstances and not criminals, and legalizing it would make it easier to regulate and control.

Separation of Church and State: I fully support the separation of Church and State and I am deeply attached to the tradition of laïcité. The state should fund or support no particular religion, and no religion should be allowed to play a major or special role in any state. In France, I support the abrogation of the 1805 Concordat in Alsace-Moselle and, by consequence, the extension of the 1905 law to Alsace-Moselle. In Ontario, I oppose provincial funding of Catholic schools. I obviously strongly oppose school prayer in public schools, which should be secular institutions.

Stem Cell Research: I support embryonic stem cell research and all that stuff.

Economic Issues:

General Philosophy: An economic centrist. I believe that the state has a role to play in economic and fiscal issues, but it should not be overarching and should serve largely to right wrongs and control those who ought to be controlled. I oppose excessive spending and state intervention; but also neoliberalism's savage slashing-and-cutting dogma and 'small government' rhetoric.

Education: I strongly support public education. I support increased funding for education, but it's not an issue I know that much about. Obviously, I support lowering university tuition fees Smiley

Energy and Environment: For our own sake and that of our planet, we must take urgent steps to move to alternative energy-based infrastructures such as wind, solar, nuclear, hydrogen, geothermal and so forth. Regardless of consensus on global warming, I believe it's undeniable that mass exploitation of the earth is destructive in the long term and that continued exploitation of environment-destroying things like oil sands are wrong and should be strongly controlled.

Fiscal Policy: I'm largely a moderate Keynesian. Some privatizations in the 1980s and 1990s were useful and good for the economy, but government should still play an important role in controlling market excesses and during economic recessions. While I believe running up large deficits is bad, I don't support the neoliberal dogma of cutting and slashing at every living thing and, by consequence, hurting our healthcare, education and other essential services. We've seen what Mike Harris' ridiculous ultraliberal policies and privatizing everything under the sun led to - Walkerton.

Health Care: In the American context, and largely influenced by my nationality, I support some sort single-payer universal health care. At any rate, insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies are largely rackets and crooks who need to be strictly controlled lest they a) charge exorbitant rates and b) sell us a load of sh**t (eg: the H1N1 fraud, the Mediator in France).

Social Justice: I strongly believe that government should provide to those in need through various welfare programs. At the same time, I believe that those leeches who are happy to live off welfare while not doing jack are destructive to the system and should be fought through measures which make welfare payments conditional on active job search or active participation in government training and vocational programs.

Taxation: I support the progressive income tax as the best tax system to place a proportional burden on all levels of society. I support corporate taxes but also sin taxes and taxes on big polluters.

Foreign Issues

General Philosophy: As much as they're cute, broad declarations of love, peace, democracy and human rights are in reality extremely hard to follow through. The world is a bad place, with lots of bad people who in a perfect world would be fried on a barbecue but in reality we need to come to some sort of agreement that the world has always been and will always be screwed up. I suppose I prescribe to a realist or Marxist view of international relations, though with an appreciation of some aspects of liberalism. Aside from that, while I support an active and internationalist view towards foreign policy I'm largely non-interventionist.

United Nations: The United Nations is in need of major reform, but it remains a valuable part of global diplomacy which should be encouraged and strengthened, not mocked and ignored.

War: War is wrong and should be avoided at all costs. The only justified wars are wars of direct self-defense when attacked and wars of direct defense of other people, in cases such as flagrant humanitarian crises such as genocides.

Weapons of Mass Destruction: To the extent possible, all chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear weapons should be eradicated; however, I acknowledge the necessity of keeping a limited nuclear arsenal for deterrence purposes only. The use of such weapons is never moral.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 63  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies