Summary of political beliefs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:00:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 63
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 556632 times)
Xandal
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: April 20, 2011, 07:58:36 PM »

Libertarian on social issues and civil liberties, leftwing on the environment, populist economic views very anti-corporate and anti-globalization, non-interventionist foreign policy, and right wing on immigration.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #551 on: April 20, 2011, 08:22:10 PM »

Economic Issues:

I am a Laissez-faire Capitalist and I believe the Government should not interfere at ALL with the economy. If a large corporation is failing, it is not the Government's job to keep them afloat. I support lower taxes on ALL income brackets and I also support deregulation of all corporations. While I believe most corporate CEOs are inherently evil, I believe that business is not inherently evil.

Social Issues (Domestic)Sad

I am a huge social Libertarian. I support a woman's right to choose, I support legalizing gay marriage and all drugs. I am also a huge supporter of the Separation of Church and State as well as the abolition of the death penalty. I do not support Affirmative Action programs nor do I support neo-Environmentalist policies. I believe our Earth is precious but protection of our planet only goes so far in the name of stopping progress. Society was built to progress. I am an avid supporter of stem cell research and I even participated in a pro stem cell research rally. I supporter tighter boarders and the promotion of legal immigration.

Social Issues (Foreign)Sad

I am a major pacifist. After I lost two cousins in Iraq and my ex-girlfriend lost her older brother, I refused to accept a militarist foreign policy for any longer. I am an advocate for diplomacy and believe that talking and trading with other countries is a far better means of communication than killing said country's people.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #552 on: April 21, 2011, 03:22:42 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2011, 03:50:30 PM by ChairmanSanchez »

Overall Philosophy-Libertarian, Goldwaterite. I also hold several other views, mainly leaning towards the far right. I am a "Powellite" too.

Abortion-Its a states right, with each state setting its own policy. However, I do support a Federal ban on citizens getting abortions across state lines, and parental notification.

Affirmative Action-All "equality" laws take the issue and flip it. Multiculturalism is a failure, and as long as the Jim Crow laws are gone, nothing else should be changed. Whites are no better then Blacks and vice-versa.

Death Penalty support it on a state level, not on a Federal Level. As a Floridian, I think the state should only kill murderers of Women, and Children. I support death for serial rapists, though that should not be a actual law. On a Federal level, only foreign (not even domestic) terrorist should receive it.

Drugs-Marijuana can be legal on a state level. Taxed too.

Euthanasia-If you want to kill yourself, swallow a bunch of aspirins or something. I cant believe this is a serious issue.

Gun Rights-Any one should be able to own a gun, no questions asked. And I support private militias, as long as they do not engage in terrorism.

Immigration-Amnesty to all Illegals who join the army, lived here 5 years, have no criminal record and speak English. Those who dont, should be deported. Illegals caught in the country, or attempting to enter the country, should be turned back. Those caught on our side, should be detained and released. Put the Army on the border.

Gay Marriage personally oppose it, but its a State Right that should be decided by referendum.

Prostitution-State Right, but I wouldn't oppose it being legal. Its not relevant anyway.

Separation of Church and State-I believe everyone should be allowed to practice any religion, freely, though I stress that American IS a Christian country, and that "Under God" should remain in the Pledge, on the Money, and in the courts. Remeber, "Under God" can be anyones God...

Stem Cell Research- I dont support abortion, and I wish babies didnt have to get aborted, but I want their lives to be worth something if they are, so Stem Cell research is only fair. If it can cure Cancer, and my little brothers Autism, then I support it 100%

Education support abolishing the Department of Education, and laying it out among the states. I support public education.

Energy-America needs to get off foreign oil, and drill our own. Even though I am Libertarian, I am not opposed to a state run oil company, so we dont get robbed at the pump. Then again, we could buy cheap gas from friendly countries like Brazil, and if they try to screw us, we just pull a Teddy Roosevelt and send a couple of battleships......Also, Global Warming is a total myth.

Economy-a flat tax on all income brackets, and raised tariffs. We need to pull out of NAFTA, stop handing out money to failing corporations, abolish the IRS and Federal Reserve, and even go back to the Gold Standard. Maybe then our money will be worth something.

Healthcare- I support a basic form of Universal Healthcare, but it cant be like Canada or Britains systems. I wouldnt mind seeing a more successful (and altered) form of Romneycare. Obscure is a watered down peace of garbage. The Individual mandate is forcing people to buy Health Insurance. That doesn't do anything! Maybe we could have UHC if we decided to stop treating illegals for free.....

Social Justice-Unemployment checks on a State level, perhaps, but those recipients should receive drug test (not through that crook Scotts company though)..I support Social Security, Medicaid, and Medicare, though they need reform.

Taxation-Flat Tax on all income brackets. Tariffs on imports.

United Nations-Pull out, now! They cause problems, and expect the US to clean it up.

War-Avoid it at all cost, be non-interventionist as much as possible. Still, its necessary sometimes.

WMDS-The US should have a nuclear arsenal, and it is every countries choice to have them, if they can afford it. Now, Iran, and NK, they need to be controlled. They wont use there nukes for defensive purposes.

Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #553 on: April 21, 2011, 04:21:42 PM »

Realistic/Idealist:

Agree with your social positions 100 percent. Do not agree with much of your economic beliefs.

Overall Philosophy:

Austrian economics + Catholic social teachings.

Social Issues:

Abortion: Strongly oppose, except in the case of a direct and immediate threat to the life of the mother to which there is no other remedy. I believe that the life of a person starts at conception.

Affirmative Action: Generally oppose, though there are some exceptions when talking about income-based affirmative action. I oppose race or gender based affirmative action as unjust and discriminatory in most situations.

Death Penalty: Strongly oppose in virtually all circumstances. I generally oppose killing in anything short of immediate and direct self-defense or defense of another.

Drugs and Alcohol: I believe that we should treat drug usage as a disease and seek to rehabilitate users rather than imprison them. However, usage should be actively discouraged as it is detrimental to the individual and society.

Euthanasia: Oppose, as it is unfair to ask a doctor to kill another person, the very antithesis of their profession. I do believe in extremely limited circumstances that provisions could be made, however.

Gun Rights: I believe that any type of gun can be responsibly handled if it is in the hands of the right person. As such, I believe that we should control who can purchase guns, but I do not favor limits on which guns they can purchase.

Immigration: I do not believe in the concept of an illegal person. I believe we must actively seek to welcome all individuals who seek to join our society, both legally and socially. I do believe that conditions should be met, such as back tax payment and proficiency in English for illegal immigrants to earn citizenship, if at all possible.

Marriage: I believe that marriage and the family are vital and foundational aspects of society and community. I believe that marriage is the highest form of romantic love, and should be revered, encouraged, and protected, but it is also something that must be earned in order to be appreciated. To this end, I support covenant marriage laws with, among other things, mandatory marriage counseling and safeguards against divorce.

Prostitution: Similar to drug users, we should treat prostitutes as victims of circumstance rather than as criminals. We should actively help impoverished women who view prostitution as their own option, but prostitution should not be condoned or encouraged. Those who profit from this exploitation should face repercussions, however.

Separation of Church and State: While religion should not be actively enforced by the government, the State should not rebuke the ability of many churches to help fighting poverty, homelessness, disease, and other societal issues. Anyone who has the ability to help others should be embraced, not denied.

Stem Cell Research: Oppose new embryonic stem cell research, but actively support adult and umbilical cord research along with induced pluripotency procedures.

Economic Issues:

Education: I support the public education system, but believe that there are major improvements necessary to bring it up to what it should be. One main improvement is that education funding should serve to counteract the cycle of poverty by centralizing funding and by basing it on need and improvement rather than on pure ability.

Disagree I believe that the state should not require education and that education is the responsibility of the family. You can't teach unwilling pupils, education must be a voluntary endeavour.

Energy: For the sake of ourselves, our future generations, and our planet, I believe we must immediately take steps to move to an alternative energy-based infrastructure that runs on an regionally-focused mix of wind, solar, hydroelectric, tidal, geothermal, convection, nuclear, hydrogen fuel cell, and other sustainable technologies. Vehicles should run on hydrogen or electricity.

Disagree

Non-mobile electrical generation should be done through nuclear. Mobile power generation (cars, etc), should be done through gasoline. Use what works best and try to mitigate the side effects.

Environment: I believe that, in order to protect and cultivate life, we must protect and sustain our environment to best of our ability. Humanity must serve as faithful stewards of the Earth, as we are the only ones capable of doing so.

Fiscal Policy: I believe in New Keynesian economic theory and the modern macroeconomic consensus. I support countercyclical fiscal and monetary policies that actively rectify market failures and excesses.

Disagree

I'm an Austrian. Let the people make market decisions and the state will profit through the efficient allocation of capital.

Health Care: I support a form of single-payer universal health care as my ideal health care system that provides for basic care, with additional care available for purchase on the open market. I believe that market-based basic health care an intrinsically flawed and immoral system that does not treats people in a loving manner, but rather profits on suffering.

Disagree

I support a fully privatized system where private health charities provide for the indigent, and the people purchase the full cost of their care. For 30 percent of your paycheck, don't you think you could buy quite a bit of health care?

Social Justice: One of the most loving actions is to help another in need without regard for the result on yourself. Society too should embrace this concept. We must extend ourselves to help those in need through any means possible. Although government programs are the most effective in this area, the work of charities and religious organizations should be encouraged and embraced.

Disagree

Government organizations are the most inefficient means to distribute charity. Admin overhead eats up most of the dollars.

Social Security: I do not support the privatization of social security. We must protect this social program for the sake of those who need it the most. In order to safeguard the promise that is social security, we must raise or lift entirely the cap of social security contributions on high-income earners.

Disagree

The choice is enslaving the young or getting rid of social security altogether.

Taxation: I believe in a system of taxation that places a fair burden on all members of society. The only system of taxation that I know of that I believe is capable of doing so is a progressive income taxation system. I favor other forms in addition to this system, such as progressive corporate taxes, sin taxes, a limited sales tax on high price items, and some others.

Disagree

I want to see fair/flat taxes across the board, and the elimination of income taxes altogether.

Foreign Issues

United Nations: The United Nations is a valuable element of global diplomacy that should be embraced and strengthened with the ultimate, far-off goal of a federal world government that recognizes the unity of life and the human race.

Disagree

We have a world body that does just this, the Vatican. Gravely disagree with a one world government. The government that governs least governs best.

War: War, which has been and continues to be the greatest threat to human life and  the world itself, should be avoided at almost all costs. The only just war is one in immediate and direct self-defense, or the immediate and direct self-defense of another nation or people. Diplomacy should always be our main weapon. When war is necessary, it is important to continue to respect human rights and dignity for enemy prisoners and combatants to the extent possible.

Weapons of Mass Destruction: To the extent possible, all chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear weapons should be eradicated; however, I acknowledge the necessity of keeping a limited nuclear arsenal for deterrence purposes only. The use of such weapons is never moral.

tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #554 on: April 26, 2011, 05:57:37 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2011, 06:21:20 PM by I was looking at his pant leg and his perfectly creased pant »

Everything: Abolish government.

I'll just go through my "disputed among libertarians" positions then:

Gays should not be allowed to join the military.  Neither should women.  Neither should men.

Abolish the Federal Reserve but go to a Friedmanite system (full-reserve banking and fixed monetary base but no gold standard); abolish legal tender laws.

Democracy should be abolished.

Government tyranny should be abolished in all cases, but if it must be prioritized it should be destroyed in the following order of importance:

1. Domestic wars.
2. Foreign wars.
3. "Helping" people in foreign countries.
4. "Helping" people in this country. (welfare for the rich can be abolished before welfare for the poor, though both are bad)

So-called "right-to-work" laws are a tyrannical infringement of the right to freely assemble.  Instead states should nullify the Wagner Act.

School vouchers are an improvement over government schools, as are healthcare vouchers over the present system, although healthcare and eduction tax deductions like Ron Paul has proposed would be still better (though not nearly "good").
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #555 on: May 08, 2011, 02:44:20 PM »

Interesting. The Wagner Act is pure trash, and I agree with you that it should be eliminated.

However, I think that Right to Work is a great step forward. Every state with Right to Work is doing better than they would without the legislation, because employers are more willing to relocate to these states. It gives states a built-in competitive advantage, all else being equal. 
JewCon
LongIslandBorn
Israel

« Reply #556 on: May 10, 2011, 06:44:35 PM »

Everything: Abolish government.

I'll just go through my "disputed among libertarians" positions then:

Gays should not be allowed to join the military.  Neither should women.  Neither should men.

Abolish the Federal Reserve but go to a Friedmanite system (full-reserve banking and fixed monetary base but no gold standard); abolish legal tender laws.

Democracy should be abolished.

Government tyranny should be abolished in all cases, but if it must be prioritized it should be destroyed in the following order of importance:

1. Domestic wars.
2. Foreign wars.
3. "Helping" people in foreign countries.
4. "Helping" people in this country. (welfare for the rich can be abolished before welfare for the poor, though both are bad)

So-called "right-to-work" laws are a tyrannical infringement of the right to freely assemble.  Instead states should nullify the Wagner Act.

School vouchers are an improvement over government schools, as are healthcare vouchers over the present system, although healthcare and eduction tax deductions like Ron Paul has proposed would be still better (though not nearly "good").

My God. O_O
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #557 on: May 11, 2011, 12:09:53 AM »

I've made a few posts on the forum before but I have not really properly introduced myself and I figured that this is as good a place to do it as any, since I'm a bit shy with formal introductions.

Social Issues

General: Center-left, some communitarian tendencies but that's not really the most determinative strain in my positions in this realm.

Abortion: Somewhat conflicted feelings. Both my personal beliefs and medical ethics dictate that somewhere after conception but between birth certain lines should be drawn but I would rather leave where to draw them and what kind of lines they should be up to people who know more about bioethics than I do. I would probably counsel my loved ones against abortion except in case of risk to their life, rape, or incest, but I have less than no desire to see that legislated.
Gay marriage/adoption/families: Very strongly support. I also support covenant marriage, including for same-sex couples. I am aware that this is a very unusual position but I stand by it.
Affirmative action: I support socioeconomic affirmative action rather than race-based affirmative action, which I think is actually constitutionally questionable at worst.
Hate crimes legislation: Support.
Gun control: I think that it's important to keep in mind that to an extent there's an urban-rural divide on this issue. States should set minimum registration standards, which local governments should be allowed to add to. I do however support federal bans on certain types of military-grade weapons for civilians.
Death penalty: Abolish completely, except possibly in times of domestic war or for uniformed personnel directly involved in theaters of combat overseas.
Euthanasia: Do not legalise but do not prosecute except in cases of obvious abuse of authority on the part of doctors.
Drugs: Legalise and tax marijuana cultivation and possession but keep heavy limits on transport and a ban on importation; deliberately put and keep other 'soft' drugs (a term which should be defined by medical professionals working on commission rather than career bureaucrats) in a legal grey area by lightening sentences and not aggressively prosecuting. Maintain heavy sentences and aggressive prosecution for trafficking of harder drugs; equalise sentences for crack and powder cocaine; offer mandatory supervised rehab as an alternative to imprisonment for addicts.
Prostitution: Maintain bans on soliciting the services of a prostitute. Vigorously prosecute current laws against the human trafficking end of the business. Decriminalise actually being a prostitute, so that prostitutes who are being victimised can safely go to the law for help.

Economic Issues

General: Left-communitarian

Taxes: Maintain a progressive income tax but aggressively eliminate almost all loopholes and deductibles other than for spouses, dependents, and charitable donations. Investigate the feasibility of a cap or tax on total personal wealth.
Spending: Radically cut spending on old Cold War projects that no longer do anything. Avoid long-term structural deficits if possible but running deficits in individual years is not the end of the world.
Welfare: Maintain and strengthen.
Education: Radically increase support for public education up to the university level.
Regulations: Increase significantly on financial services, transit, natural resources, and likely some other industries I'm forgetting. Loosen on small businesses, especially hospitality and retail.
Labour: Repeal Taft-Hartley. Mandatory bargaining for all unionised industries, and all companies must allow free votes on unionisation.
Free trade: I oppose omnibus free-trade pacts but support low or nonexistent tariffs for many if not most things. We must, however, maintain the ability to adjust tariffs to protect our own businesses.
Health care: Keep PPAC Act for the time being but lay the groundwork for a bigger push for a more universal system.

Foreign Policy

General: Internationalist but non-militarist.

Military: Streamline and smarten. Get out of useless land bases in places like Germany and Japan; maintain air and sea capabilities worldwide.
United Nations: Strengthen it by strategically undermining the positions of authoritarian regimes within it.
Israel: Take a harder line in favour of a two-state solution with an internationalised Jerusalem.
Alliances: Ramp up commitments to other democracies.
China: Take a much, MUCH harder line. Demand major and meaningful reforms in the areas of minority rights, local government, freedom of conscience, freedom of expression, labour relations, and environmental protection in exchange for our continued favoured trade arrangements.

Constitutional

Implement IRV for Congressional elections
Restore rules requiring floor filibusters in the Senate
Devolve partisan functions to House Majority Leader and require two-thirds vote to elect the Speaker
Directly elect the President via nationwide IRV
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #558 on: May 15, 2011, 06:55:32 PM »

I've made a few posts on the forum before but I have not really properly introduced myself and I figured that this is as good a place to do it as any, since I'm a bit shy with formal introductions.

Social Issues

General: Center-left, some communitarian tendencies but that's not really the most determinative strain in my positions in this realm.

Abortion: Somewhat conflicted feelings. Both my personal beliefs and medical ethics dictate that somewhere after conception but between birth certain lines should be drawn but I would rather leave where to draw them and what kind of lines they should be up to people who know more about bioethics than I do. I would probably counsel my loved ones against abortion except in case of risk to their life, rape, or incest, but I have less than no desire to see that legislated.
Gay marriage/adoption/families: Very strongly support. I also support covenant marriage, including for same-sex couples. I am aware that this is a very unusual position but I stand by it.
Affirmative action: I support socioeconomic affirmative action rather than race-based affirmative action, which I think is actually constitutionally questionable at worst.
Hate crimes legislation: Support.
Gun control: I think that it's important to keep in mind that to an extent there's an urban-rural divide on this issue. States should set minimum registration standards, which local governments should be allowed to add to. I do however support federal bans on certain types of military-grade weapons for civilians.
Death penalty: Abolish completely, except possibly in times of domestic war or for uniformed personnel directly involved in theaters of combat overseas.
Euthanasia: Do not legalise but do not prosecute except in cases of obvious abuse of authority on the part of doctors.
Drugs: Legalise and tax marijuana cultivation and possession but keep heavy limits on transport and a ban on importation; deliberately put and keep other 'soft' drugs (a term which should be defined by medical professionals working on commission rather than career bureaucrats) in a legal grey area by lightening sentences and not aggressively prosecuting. Maintain heavy sentences and aggressive prosecution for trafficking of harder drugs; equalise sentences for crack and powder cocaine; offer mandatory supervised rehab as an alternative to imprisonment for addicts.
Prostitution: Maintain bans on soliciting the services of a prostitute. Vigorously prosecute current laws against the human trafficking end of the business. Decriminalise actually being a prostitute, so that prostitutes who are being victimised can safely go to the law for help.

Economic Issues

General: Left-communitarian

Taxes: Maintain a progressive income tax but aggressively eliminate almost all loopholes and deductibles other than for spouses, dependents, and charitable donations. Investigate the feasibility of a cap or tax on total personal wealth.
Spending: Radically cut spending on old Cold War projects that no longer do anything. Avoid long-term structural deficits if possible but running deficits in individual years is not the end of the world.
Welfare: Maintain and strengthen.
Education: Radically increase support for public education up to the university level.
Regulations: Increase significantly on financial services, transit, natural resources, and likely some other industries I'm forgetting. Loosen on small businesses, especially hospitality and retail.
Labour: Repeal Taft-Hartley. Mandatory bargaining for all unionised industries, and all companies must allow free votes on unionisation.
Free trade: I oppose omnibus free-trade pacts but support low or nonexistent tariffs for many if not most things. We must, however, maintain the ability to adjust tariffs to protect our own businesses.
Health care: Keep PPAC Act for the time being but lay the groundwork for a bigger push for a more universal system.

Foreign Policy

General: Internationalist but non-militarist.

Military: Streamline and smarten. Get out of useless land bases in places like Germany and Japan; maintain air and sea capabilities worldwide.
United Nations: Strengthen it by strategically undermining the positions of authoritarian regimes within it.
Israel: Take a harder line in favour of a two-state solution with an internationalised Jerusalem.
Alliances: Ramp up commitments to other democracies.
China: Take a much, MUCH harder line. Demand major and meaningful reforms in the areas of minority rights, local government, freedom of conscience, freedom of expression, labour relations, and environmental protection in exchange for our continued favoured trade arrangements.

Constitutional

Implement IRV for Congressional elections
Restore rules requiring floor filibusters in the Senate
Devolve partisan functions to House Majority Leader and require two-thirds vote to elect the Speaker
Directly elect the President via nationwide IRV

With a few little exceptions, your positions are remarkably similar to mine. Yay. Smiley
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #559 on: May 15, 2011, 08:00:23 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2011, 09:45:07 PM by Cincinnatus »

SOCIAL ISSUES:

Abortion:  While I don't like to push my morality directly on others, I still can't
deny that a fetus after a certain period of time is a life.  This is one of those
issues where I'd be inclined to support the rights to life over the right to choose.

Gay Marriage:  I don't personally support gay marriage.  However, I don't think it's
the duty of the government to decide what marriage is.  This is an issue to be left to
religions, civil unions, and not the federal government.  In the argument of
for/against adoption, I have no problem with a child being adopted by such a couple.  
If America allowed adoptions to be more accessible, and not as expensive as it
currently is, I believe more children would grow up in a stable home.  That being
said, I would hope any parent wouldn't try to push an anti-traditional or anti-"gay"
view on a child.

Gun Control:  I am a very strong supporter in second amendment rights Tongue  I believe
that the founders recognized that the government needed to be aware that the citizens
it serves, have the ability to usurp their power.  This may sound radical but, I
believe this was the mentality the writers of the constitution had during the time period they lived in.  I do support waiting periods, background checks, and the forfeiting of this right to criminals.  However, in most cases, I will support the right to bear arms.

Death Penalty: Under no circumstances.  I can't morally support the right to life on
the abortion issues, yet deny that same right to a criminal.  Besides the fact that I
don't think we should kill off "undesirables", it's also not cost-effective to our
judicial system.  The appeals of a capital trial cost quite a large sum.

Drugs: Legalize drugs.  The Federal government should not be in the business of
telling me I can't take some drug.  Ron Paul actually made sense in saying, "I don't
know anyone who would go out and shoot up a needle tomorrow if the Federal government
legalized drugs." (Something to that effect).  All the people I know who would be
susceptible to taking a drug, already do. To much money has been wasted on an issue
that can never be controlled.

Prostitution:  I have no problem legalizing prostitution.  However, I'd be worried
about sexual safety so something would have to be done there.  As long as prostitutes
aren't flaunting in the public square, it's not my business.

Immigration:  Protect the borders.  End random lotteries.  This goes without saying,
but these stupid "citizenship tests" are ridiculous and flawed, reform the process!  
Finally, offer those overseas who are currently enrolled in our Universities the
opportunity to become productive citizens.  

Euthanasia:  If someone wants doctor-assisted suicide, I have no problem granting
their wish under certain circumstances.  However, I can't say I could force a doctor
into participation.

ECONOMIC ISSUES:

Taxes:  Reform the tax code.  If wealthier people couldn't con the system so easily,
perhaps there wouldn't be a problem.  I'm interested in the "Fair tax" but, there's no
general consensus over what the sale tax rate would have to be (22-33%)

Spending:  Domestic spending must be reduced.  Tax revenue alone can't fix our
deficit.  The military MUST be examined for possible spending cuts.  Further, social
programs can't be sustained indefinitely under the current conditions.

Education:  Give the states money to fund their education.  The Federal government
can't blanket educational reform or funding across the nation.

Unions:  I have no problem with people getting together to assemble.  What I do have a
problem with, is the necessity of joining a Union.  Also, Union funding for outside
functions is not acceptable.  

Tariffs:  No, simply no.

FOREIGN POLICY:

Military:  Look at spending cut opportunities.  Find the most cost-effective route,
and take it.  

Iraq:  Useless war that should never have been an issue.  Not to mention they could
have distracted Iran for us.

Israel: Work for talks of a Palestinian state.  Both nations have a right to exist.

Intervention:  Generally, the fact that we need bases in South Korea, Germany, Japan,
ect is ridiculous.  How much money are we spending to maintain these?  No, we
shouldn't completely isolate ourselves.  However, isolation isn't the same concept as non
-interventionism.

That's my general 5 minute mock-up.  Yes, I did reference Ron Paul Tongue .  I got a bit lazy when I got to foreign policy so that's why it's shorter.  I've certainly missed something, and not fully
developed my points but, what do you want for a summary?
SmokingCricket
Rookie

« Reply #560 on: May 15, 2011, 08:55:45 PM »

Overall Philosophy: Minimal to No Regulation of Social Activities, Unknown Overall Economic Stance, Non-Interventionist Foreign Policy. Government should not regulate morality and should only be concerned with protecting liberties in the social sphere. Government in the economic sphere is something I have not quite figured out yet.

Social Issues:
Abortion: Legalized. Federal funding may or may not be available for subsidizing the procedure, but the option should be on the table for those who seek it.

Affirmative Action: End. Not so much on the grounds that it is counter-racist, but more on the grounds that it is an act by the government to regulate the practices of various institutions in hiring practices and whatnot. Such is inconsistent with my overall philosophy of government involvement in the social arena.

Death Penalty: Abolish. Death is less of a penalty than life.

Drugs and Alcohol: Legalize the sale, use, possession, and transport of all drugs. Consider taxing them at low rates.

Euthanasia: This is one of the few things I would rather not permit. Death is permanent. If someone is suffering, then the right to pull the plug should be on the table. However, a healthy person who is otherwise fully capable should not take their own life.

Homosexuality: If that is what you want, have at it.

Gun Rights: So long as you are a US Citizen, not a felon, and have no record of mental illness, you may own whatever firearm you desire.

Immigration: Relax immigration restrictions/quotas. Require all current illegals to report themselves to a center for documentation or face deportation. This documentation will only ask for an address/contact, purpose for being in the US, and intent to become a US Citizen. Not asking for much, but we do want to know who you are and why you are here. That is all.

Marriage: Marriage permitted between any willing persons. If you want a marriage with 2 men and 5 women, have at it. End all "special benefits" for all married persons.

Prostitution: Legalized. Have at it.

Separation of Church and State: "One may change his religion. However, he may not change the law" - Somali Xeer Proverb. Church is to remain separate from the State, and the State is to stay out of the affairs of the Church unless threat to liberty.

Stem Cell Research: Government funding may or may not be available for you, but have at it if you really want to engage in Stem Cell Research.

Economic Issues:
Education: End NCLB and Race to the Top. End the crisis in higher education budget problems by cutting the bloated administrative staff. Unsure after that.

Energy: No drilling in ANWR. Promote non-fossil-fuel energy sources as much as possible. Promote mass transit for local areas and trains for long-distance trips to help conserve energy.

Environment: Promote recycling. Seek to protect critical habitats from harm. Seek to redesign cities to sprawl less and be more compact/walkable.

Fiscal Policy: Balanced Budgets just make sense. Require that the budget be balanced. If you want more services, you need more taxes. If you want low taxes, you get fewer services. Take your pick.

Health Care: Tort reform to restructure healthcare litigation. Unsure after that.

Social Security: Unsure, but something has got to change.

Subsidies: None. No more subsidies or tax breaks to businesses for any reason.

Taxation: Does not matter to me what the rate/policy is, but needs to be consistent. More taxes and I expect more services.

Unions: Unsure, but support the idea so long as they work with business to provide a balance between business and labor.

Foreign Issues:
United Nations: Unsure. The organization is important, but highly corrupt.
War: No. Withdraw immediately from Iraq, Afghanistan, and any other sovereign nation our military is currently deployed in.
Weapons of Mass Destruction: Decommission all WMDs.
Foreign Aid: Restructure foreign aid programs to better target and assist those in need.

Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #561 on: May 15, 2011, 09:37:54 PM »

SOCIAL ISSUES:

Abortion:  While I don't like to push my morality directly on others, I still can't
deny that a fetus after is certain period of time is life.  This is one of those
issues where I'd be inclined to support the rights to life over the right to choose.

Gay Marriage:  I don't personally support gay marriage.  However, I don't think it's
the duty of the government to decide what marriage is.  This is an issue to be left to
for against adoption, I have no problem with a child being adopted by such a couple.  
currently is, I believe more children would grow up in a stable home.  That being
said, I would hope any parent wouldn't try to push an anti-traditional or anti-"gay"
view on a child.

Gun Control:  I am a very strong supporter in second amendment rights Tongue  I believe
that the founders recognized that the government needed to be aware that the citizes
it serves, have the ability to usurp their power.  This may sound radical but, I
believe this was the mentality the writers of the constitution had.  I do support
waiting periods, background checks, and the forfeiting of this right to criminals.  
However, in most cases, I will support the right to bear arms.

Death Penalty: Under no circumstances.  I can't morally support the right to life on
the abortion issues, yet deny that same right to a criminal.  Besides the fact that I
don't think we should kill off "undesirables", it's also not cost-effective to our

telling me I can't take some drug.  Ron Paul actually made sense in saying, "I don't
know anyone who would go out and shoot up a needle tomorrow if the Federal government
legalized drugs." (Something to that effect).  All the people I know who would be
susceptible to taking a drug, already do. To much money has been wasted on an issue

Prostitution:  I have no problem legalizing prostitution.  However, I'd be worried
about sexual safety so something would have to be done there.  As long as prostitutes

Immigration:  Protect the borders.  End random lotteries.  This goes without saying,
but these stupid "citizenship tests" are ridiculous and flawed, reform the process!  
Finally, offer those overseas who are currently enrolled in our Universities the

Euthanasia:  If someone wants doctor-assisted suicide, I have no problem granting
their wish under certain circumstances.  However, I can't say I could force a doctor
into participation.

ECONOMIC ISSUES:

Taxes:  Reform the tax code.  If wealthier people couldn't con the system so easily,
perhaps there wouldn't be a problem.  I'm interested in the "Fair tax" but, there's no

deficit.  The military MUST be examined for possible spending cuts.  Further, social

Education:  Give the states money to fund their education.  The Federal government

Unions:  I have no problem with people getting together to assemble.  What I do have a
problem with, is the necessity of joining a Union.  Also, Union funding for outside

Tarrifs:  No, simply no.

FOREIGN POLICY:

Military:  Look at spending cut opportunities.  Find the most cost-effective route,
and take it.  

Iraq:  Useless war that should never have been an issue.  Not to mention they could

Israel: Work for talks of a Palestinian state.  Both nations have a right to exist.

Intervention:  Generally, the fact that we need bases in South Korea, Germany, Japan,
shouldn't completely isolate ourselves.  However, isolation isn't the concept as non
-interventionism.

That's my general 5 minute mock-up.  Yes, I did reference Ron Paul Tongue .  I got a bit lazy when I got to foreign policy so that's why it's shorter.  I've certainly missed something, and not fully

I agree with the end result of all of your values, but not your methods of getting there.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #562 on: May 16, 2011, 02:29:08 PM »

Social issues: I am a social libertarian, except that I oppose legalizing prostitution in most circumstances, support criminalizing abortion after the fetus becomes viable, support restricting what offensive content can be said and shown on television and radio to after a certain time (when most children go to bed), support government funding for religious charitable organizations (as long as they don't use that funding to promote their religion), support hate-crime legislation, and support commonsense gun control measures. Otherwise, I support same-sex marriage and adoption, oppose capital punishment, oppose the PATRIOT Act, support ending the 'war on drugs', support comprehensive immigration reform, and support drastically reforming the immigration system.

Economic issues: On economic issues, I'm more moderate. I believe that the government should protect consumers and workers, including the right to collectively bargain, should provide basic needs for its citizens, and should implement strict antitrust legislation, in order to prevent monopolization and promote competition. I also support limiting the influence of money in politics, and strongly oppose implementing a flat tax or a fair tax, because doing so would place an undo burden of taxation upon those who can least afford it. However, I support free trade with most countries, support returning control of the education system to local communities and away from teachers unions, and support abolishing tax breaks and subsidies to special interest groups, including oil companies and farmers.

Foreign-policy issues: I'm progressive on foreign policy. I oppose the war in Iraq, support the creation of a Palestinian state, and believe that the United States should not act unilaterally in military intervention, unless we were attacked first. However, I do not oppose military intervention in order to promote humanitarian goals. I also believe that the focus of foreign economic assistance should be shifted away from foreign governments and toward directly aiding citizens and communities.     
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #563 on: May 16, 2011, 02:53:25 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2011, 02:55:12 PM by Snowstalker »

Social Issues:

Abortion: Legal until after the fetus is viable, at which point it is only legal to save the woman's life.

Affirmative Action: Support, but base it on income rather than race.

Death Penalty: Abolish--revenge is unhumanlike, and the true punishment is living with your misdeed.

Drugs and Alcohol: Legalize and regulate alcohol, tobacco, and marijuana. Hard drugs are decriminalized, similar to what's done in portugal.

Euthanasia: Only with the informed consent of both the patient and the doctor. If the patient is in a coma, leave it up to the family until the patient indicated earlier on that they want something to be done or not done.

Homosexuality: Legal and treated the same way as heterosexuality.

Gun Rights: Minus nukes or rocket launchers, any weapon should be legal as long as the customer is an adult, a U.S. resident or citizen, and has no record of serious violent crime.

Immigration: Allow amnesty for illegal immigrants already in the country and only deport those in the middle of crossing the border. Relax quotas for legal immigration.

Marriage: Between 2 people of any gender--not sure about polygamy.

Prostitution: Legal for a woman to sell her own body, but brothels must be very strictly regulated.

Separation of Church and State: Is good.

Stem Cell Research: Some government sponsorship is allowed.

Economic Issues:

Education: No voucher systems, and ideally few to no charter schools. Standardized testing is failing; serious changes are needed to No Child Left Behind.

Environment: End oil subsidies and increase subsidies on alternative energy sources, including nuclear power. Keep environmental policies the same or increase regulations in some cases (where land can be developed)

Fiscal Policy: Balanced budgets are nice, but creating jobs is priority #1.

Health Care: A single-payer health care system, with some extra parts run by the private sector.

Social Security: Keep the same.

Subsidies: End most subsidies, with the exception of farm subsidies for smaller farms and aid to some small businesses.

Taxation: End Bush tax cuts on the rich and raise them to Reagan-era levels.

Unions: Support labor's rights, and oppose firing employees during a strike; strikes are unlimited with the exception of some public workers. Right to work is worse than it sounds.

Foreign Issues:
United Nations: Stay in, and require both U.N. and congressional approval to enter military conflict.

War: Withdraw from Iraq and Afghanistan minus limited strike forces, focus on toppling the regime in Libya and capturing or killing Qaddafi before leaving.

Weapons of Mass Destruction: Reduce nuclear weapon stockpiles as mandated in New START.

Foreign Aid: End or severely limit aid for weapons, otherwise keep the same.

Overall: A progressive, left-wing populist and supporter of the New Deal/Great Society. Though my social views are probably further to the left, I mostly focus on economic issues.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #564 on: May 31, 2011, 09:02:17 AM »

Social issues

Abortion: I support limiting the rights of a woman to have an abortion to 1-2 abortions per year, with a maximum of seven per decade.

Gay Rights: Strongly oppose the proposed Federal Marriage Amendment and favor overturning the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) as a violation of personal liberty on the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution. Believes in advancing marriage rights to LGBT couples. Opposes "sodomy laws". Oppose states declaring marriage to be between one man and one woman as a violation of the 14th Amendment.

Religion: As an Atheist, I oppose all attempts by Conservatives to put prayer in public schools, to place any religious icons on public property, to use religion as a means for decreasing personal rights, or using religion to justify legislation that will decrease personal rights. "It's in the bible" should not be a valid explanation to why a law should be passed.

Illegal Immigration: I support full amnesty of the millions of illegal immigrants in the United States. I also support making immigrating to the United States much easier than it is currently.

I also support significant increases in funding for ESL (English-as-a-Second-Language) programs and the reintroduction and passage of the DREAM Act.

I strongly oppose calls by so-called "nativists" for mass deportations and denying birthright citizenship.  

Sex Ed: Favor mandatory comprehensive sex education programs, including accurate and up-to-date information regarding safe sex (condoms and other contraceptives), sexually transmitted diseases like HIV-AIDS, and all other STDs.

Second Amendment: I support the right for an individual to own a firearm (I am from Maine after all), but I believe in certain restrictions on how many, which kinds and at which age you can purchase weapons. I also oppose allowing people to own overly-powerful or fast-firing weapons, as well as allowing convicted felons and people with known mental illnesses to own firearms.

Drug War: I strongly support the legalization of marijuana and other "soft" outlawed substances. Other decidedly harmful drugs, such as crack cocaine, heroin and ecstasy should remain illegal.

Economic issues

Education: Favor a major expansion in after-school tutoring programs as well as universal pre-school education; smaller class sizes; and changing the system by which teachers are hired, paid, and promoted from one based on seniority to merit-based pay (with test scores emphasis on the NAEP).

Tax Code: Oppose extending Bush's 2001 and 2003 tax cuts. Support ending "corporate welfare". Would love "Eisenhower era" taxes, but "Clinton era" is good too.

Entitlement programs: I support a single-payer healthcare system for all Americans, similar to NHS in Britain.

In Social Security, I oppose raising the retirement age to seventy, raising the payroll tax as well as eliminating the cap, while raising the estate tax.

I strongly oppose putting payroll taxes into private retirement accounts subject to the whims of the free market.

Minimum Wage: Support raising it and strongly oppose any attempts to lower it, or eliminate it.

Free Trade: Strongly oppose free trade and support replacing it with fair trade.

Environmental Issues and Energy: I oppose nuclear fusion as an energy technology. I support research into hydrogen fuel-cell technologies, as well as increasing investments into alternative renewable energy sources like wind, solar, geothermal, and biomass among others; promoting energy efficiency in government as well as in private industry; tax credits for hybrid vehicles; increasing the fuel economy standards for newer vehicles; fully eliminating taxpayer subsidies for the fossil fuel and ethanol industries; implementing a carbon tax to further spur these changes in energy usage.

Transportation: The federal government should also create a national transportation infrastructure for the 21st century comparable in scope to President Eisenhower's Interstate Highway System, beginning with increasing investments into mass transit programs in urban areas so as to concentrate population growth in those areas. I also support a high-speed rail system throughout the country, similar to that in European nations.

Foreign Policy

Support reshaping our military to better handle the twin challenges of counter-terrorism and counter-insurgency, including an expansion of the Special Forces.  Also support missile defense to guard against rogue regimes threatening our allies. I oppose increasing funding to the State Department and USAID. I support opening up diplomatic relations with Cuba. I support small military operations in nations with tyrannical dictators in order to depose them, but oppose large, many-year wars with nations just because they look at us funny.

Democracy-Related Issues

Election Reform: I support replacing the current electoral college vote system to one more similar to those systems used in Maine and Nebraska, so as each congressional district, whose political views may be completely different than the rest of the state, will also have their voice heard in a presidential election.

District of Columbia: I support full statehood for the District of Columbia as the state of Columbia.  

Puerto Rico: I support full statehood for Territory of Puerto Rico as the State of Puerto Rico.

Thanks to the Atlasian Frodo (https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?action=profile;u=1371) whose post in this topic provided the template for my post.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #565 on: May 31, 2011, 01:02:43 PM »

SOCIAL ISSUES:

deny that a fetus after a certain period of time is a life.  This is one of those

for/against adoption, I have no problem with a child being adopted by such a couple.  
view on a child.

that the founders recognized that the government needed to be aware that the citizens
believe this was the mentality the writers of the constitution had during the time period they lived in.  I do support waiting periods, background checks, and the forfeiting of this right to criminals.  However, in most cases, I will support the right to bear arms.

into participation.

ECONOMIC ISSUES:

Tariffs:  No, simply no.

FOREIGN POLICY:

and take it.  

shouldn't completely isolate ourselves.  However, isolation isn't the same concept as non
-interventionism.

Pretty moderate, actually. 
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #566 on: May 31, 2011, 01:19:56 PM »

Social issues: I am a social libertarian, except that I oppose legalizing prostitution in most circumstances, support criminalizing abortion after the fetus becomes viable, support restricting what offensive content can be said and shown on television and radio to after a certain time (when most children go to bed), support government funding for religious charitable organizations (as long as they don't use that funding to promote their religion), support hate-crime legislation, and support commonsense gun control measures. Otherwise, I support same-sex marriage and adoption, oppose capital punishment, oppose the PATRIOT Act, support ending the 'war on drugs', support comprehensive immigration reform, and support drastically reforming the immigration system.

Economic issues: On economic issues, I'm more moderate. I believe that the government should protect consumers and workers, including the right to collectively bargain, should provide basic needs for its citizens, and should implement strict antitrust legislation, in order to prevent monopolization and promote competition. I also support limiting the influence of money in politics, and strongly oppose implementing a flat tax or a fair tax, because doing so would place an undo burden of taxation upon those who can least afford it. However, I support free trade with most countries, support returning control of the education system to local communities and away from teachers unions, and support abolishing tax breaks and subsidies to special interest groups, including oil companies and farmers.

Foreign-policy issues: I'm progressive on foreign policy. I oppose the war in Iraq, support the creation of a Palestinian state, and believe that the United States should not act unilaterally in military intervention, unless we were attacked first. However, I do not oppose military intervention in order to promote humanitarian goals. I also believe that the focus of foreign economic assistance should be shifted away from foreign governments and toward directly aiding citizens and communities.     

There's a place for you in the Democratic Party. Take it or leave it. Offer's on the table.

Though what do you mean "oppose prostitution in most circumstances" when its already a zero-tolerrance issue. Maybe you just think that things should be kept the same, but we should leave kids alone who finds a stripper who thinks he's "kinda cute" in the club and ends up having sex with him in the champagne room?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #567 on: May 31, 2011, 01:32:45 PM »
« Edited: May 31, 2011, 08:41:10 PM by phk »

A few bullet points:

1.) Family structure drives social welfare.

2.) Entrepreneurship is good, support easing restrictions on start-ups.

3.) Support for a "pax-Americana" foreign policy, a tempered PNAC.

4.) No racial quotas.

5.) Skeptical of multiculturalism.

6.) Skeptical of non-skilled immigration in an era of skill-biased technological change. Generous "super-immigrants" such as doctors, engineers, Nobel Prize Laureates, Billionaires. Generally allow pro-American foreigners to receive asylum.

7.) No catering or special privileges to any religious group through the state. The US is a Christian-majority country, not a "Christian nation". Oppose teaching creationism and intelligent design as science.

8.) Support general drug legalization, with hefty sin taxes.

9.) Free trade with as many nations as possible as a default policy, to be revoked for diplomatic reasons in the future.

10.) Support countercyclical taxation policy, rates increased as economy performs better, and reduced when it performs badly. A smoother business cycle. Higher taxes than Clinton had in the 1990s and lower than Bush had in the 2000s.

11.) Embrace new emerging technologies in biotechnology, nanotechnology, information technology, etc.

12.) Hostile to unions.

13.) Abortion after first heart-beat should be heavily discouraged.

14.) Block people with criminal records and mental health issues from buying guns. Otherwise....

15.) Infosocialism

16.) Technological Determinism

17.) Humanist

18.) Subsidies to basic research can yield very high returns, as they have done for the computer, the internet, and through NIH.  

19.) "Nudging"

20.) Death penalty should be an option for violent criminals.

Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #568 on: May 31, 2011, 01:50:54 PM »

There's a place for you in the Democratic Party. Take it or leave it. Offer's on the table.

Though what do you mean "oppose prostitution in most circumstances" when its already a zero-tolerrance issue. Maybe you just think that things should be kept the same, but we should leave kids alone who finds a stripper who thinks he's "kinda cute" in the club and ends up having sex with him in the champagne room?
What I mean is, I generally oppose legalizing prostitution because I'm wary of the potential of impoverished women becoming prostitutes because they have no other choice. However, I would support legalizing prostitution under two circumstances: 1) poverty has been sufficiently reduced so that the chance of the above scenario occurring is extremely low, or 2) criminalization has obviously failed, so the only way to prevent further abuse is to legalize and regulate it. 
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #569 on: May 31, 2011, 07:35:21 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, this position is quite different from the one I read last time.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #570 on: June 01, 2011, 01:13:36 PM »

So phk, do you only support countercyclical taxation policy and not full countercyclical fiscal policy?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #571 on: June 04, 2011, 08:56:11 PM »

So phk, do you only support countercyclical taxation policy and not full countercyclical fiscal policy?

You mean, "cool off" hot economies with raising central bank rates, welfare and general spending and vice versa?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #572 on: June 04, 2011, 08:58:07 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, this position is quite different from the one I read last time.

Though, I have heard numbers from 2 weeks to 7 weeks for when it starts. I am guessing the best way to achieve such a policy would be to outlaw surgical abortion but still allow non-surgical abortion.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #573 on: June 04, 2011, 11:14:00 PM »

You mean, "cool off" hot economies with raising central bank rates, welfare and general spending and vice versa?

That would be contractionary countercyclical fiscal policy, yes, though to cool off an economy, you would need to cut spending, not raise it.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #574 on: June 04, 2011, 11:15:42 PM »

Overall Philosophy: I consider myself a staunch Republican, but I hold more liberal, “socialist” positions than that of many mainstream Republicans.  I like to say that I’m one of last “Northeastern Republicans” who just happens to be stuck in the heart of the Bible Belt.  The Tea Party and other extremist elements of the GOP frighten me, and if the Tea Party continues to more or less take over the Republican party I may become a pretty reliable Democratic voter in the near future.  However, enough about that…here we go:

SOCIAL ISSUES (Ugh…the most boring)Sad

Abortion:  While I would never encourage anyone I know to have an abortion, I’m pretty satisfied with Roe v. Wade.  I believe that every woman should have a right to terminate her pregnancy according to the laws in her state.  However, I do not advocate the allocation of federal funds to abortion providers nor do I think that Medicaid funds ought to be used to pay for abortion services.

Affirmative Action:  As far as I know, “affirmative action” isn’t really a political issue because I don’t think the federal government actually encourages or discourages any form of it.  If businesses and private universities want to use it when selecting applicants, more power to them--it’s their right.  However, I am philosophically opposed to the idea of elevating certain ethnic groups and races based on something other than merit.

Death Penalty:  Should be a state issue.  I personally believe that if you commit the ultimate crime, you should pay the ultimate price.  However, the system does need to be reformed to protect taxpayers.  Surprisingly, the death penalty is a very expensive thing…and I really can’t imagine why…maybe it’s time to bring back firing squads?

Alcohol:  The drinking age should remain at 21.  Too many young college kids are not responsible enough to make good decisions regarding their health.  Alcohol consumption is not a right, it is a privilege.  I believe; however, that regulations placed on the advertising of alcohol should be lifted and I do not think that alcoholic beverages should be subject to any additional taxation.

War on Drugs:  I favor the United States’ current drug policy.  However, the states should be allowed to devise their own drug policy without federal intervention.  As long as it doesn’t cross state boundaries, its no concern of Uncle Sam’s.  I do believe that we need tougher penalties for drug violators, longer prison sentences. 

Gay Marriage:  Marriage should be a purely state issue.  For tax reasons, the federal government should recognize any legal marriage performed by any state--but only if the married persons are still legal residents of the state in which their marriage was performed.  So, no getting a gay marriage in California and then moving to Arkansas and claiming federal tax benefits associated with marriage…ok?  Moreover, states should not be forced to recognize any marriage performed in another state.

Pornography: I see this a Freedom of the Press issue.  Pornography should be able to be legally possessed by any adult.  Child pornography regulations should be strengthened and sentences made more harsh.

Euthanasia: Once again, a state issue.  However, I personally believe that if we allow one human life to be intentionally taken then the value of all human life is diminished. 

Gun Rights:  Strong proponent of the Second Amendment.  Handgun bans are the most unconstitutional laws in American history.  The right to keep and bear arms is critical to the prevention of tyranny, both domestic and abroad.  However, background checks and mental health assessments ought to be required by state governments.  Also, illegalize the purchase of firearms via the Internet or by mail-order catalogs. 

Immigration:  Set up a guest-worker program for those seeking to enter the United States for work.  Its time to realize that those who are in this country illegally are doing illegal.  Favor deportation for all illegals, even children.  However, the immigration process does need to be modernized and streamlined.

Tobacco: I am probably the most pro-tobacco person you’ll ever encounter in your entire life.  No joke.  For some reason it just really irks me when people single-out smokers for additional taxes.  I understand smoking is bad for one’s health, but the government should not dictate my lifestyle.  Public smoking bans enrage me!  Since when can I not consume a perfectly legal product in public?  SMOKER’S RIGHTS!!!

Prostitution, legalization of: Should be a state issue.  However, I don’t want whores hanging around my house, school, office, etc.  If it is legalized, it needs to be heavily regulated and there needs to be a system in place to make sure than women are not taken advantage of and “gamed” so to speak.

Stem Cell Research: The United States federal government should subsidy stem cell research.  Period.

ECONOMIC POLICY (Ugh, these are the most over-discussed…)

Taxation, general: Taxes need to be low in order to encourage private enterprise and allow for business growth.  However, taxes do seem a bit low nowadays…

Income tax: Rates are pretty good where they are now.  However, I think the burden needs to be shifted back towards the top-income earners.  But I could live with the current tax rates.

Corporate tax: Needs to be lowered drastically to prevent off-shoring.  Favor a flat income tax for businesses.

Sales tax: I have flirted with the idea of a low 1-2% national retail sales tax--exempting groceries and gasoline.  I think it would work wonders for our budget and the effect on consumer spending would be minimal I believe.

Estate tax: Estate tax, at the federal level, should be done away with. 

Spending, general: Spending needs to be reined-in in-order to prevent complete financial meltdown.  However, I see Republican’s proposals for spending reduction as pretty outrageous and based on shaky mathematics (i.e., the Ryan Plan).  When it comes to the national debt, I believe that we have reached the point of no return.  America will never be a debt-free nation ever again.  The best we can done is to stop the debt from ballooning like it’s been doing the past few years.  By focusing on economic growth we can shrink the effect of the debt, also.

Spending cuts, domestic: I say target entitlement programs like Medicaid/Medicare, S-CHIP, and Social Security.  These are our government’s largest expenditures.  However, we cannot afford to cut education and infrastructure--these things lay the foundation for our future economic success as a nation. 

Spending cuts, military: Our military is a Cold War relic.  The U.S. accounts for almost half of the world’s total defense expenditures.  The days of huge, standing armies are behind us.  It’s time to modernize, synchronize, and digitize our military and intelligence agencies.  Also, it’s a lot cheaper that way.   

Education: If you want to get serious about education reform, first you need to tackle the unions.  Teacher unions have repeatedly stood in the way of meaningful education reform for decades.  Also, I like the idea standardized education reform.  The DoE should establish national benchmark standards for every grade and require students to pass standardized tests in order to advance to the next grade.  Secondary education is a mess.  High school students who aren’t “academic all-stars” should be allowed to drop “19th Century English Literature” for “Plumbing 101”--more emphasis on vocational education.  Increase investment in four-year university programs: Universities should be the backbone of our nation‘s research facilities.  I like the idea of vouchers, but think that they should be a state issue.   

Unions: I think that unions have outlived their usefulness.  Employers should reserve the right to terminate the employment of striking workers.  If you hire them, you should be allowed to fire them whenever you want.  Also, we need a national “right to work law”--the payment of union dues shouldn’t be a prerequisite of employment (Right of Assembly?).   

Free Trade:  I LOVE free trade.  Seriously, I think that it is a great idea; it means cheaper goods for American consumers and gives American products a chance in new, untapped markets like Eastern Europe (which is the greatest unexploited economic market on earth, BTW).  However, we shouldn’t engage in free trade with nations who aren’t willing to return the favor…

FOREIGN POLCY (My favorite!)

Iraq:  Favor continued U.S. presence in Iraq.  In hindsight I think the ‘03 invasion was an uninformed decision, but we can’t just run-away from the mess we made.

Afghanistan: It’s getting pretty nightmarish, but the current situation is workable.  Escalate the number of troops.

Israel: I do not find the current level of U.S. support for Israel outrageous.  I believe that Israel is morally superior to Palestine.  Objectively, Israel has served to create peace in the Middle East--not threaten it--thus, I think they deserve our current support.  I oppose the creation of a Palestinian state.   

Nuclear Weapons--Like ‘em.  Deterrence theory all day long baby.

United Nations--Unsupportive.  The UN serves as a forum for undemocratic, dictators to spread their message of oppression and hate around the world.  Only democratic states should have say-so in international political affairs.  The U.S. should withdraw from the U.N. (it can stay in NYC though, I find that kinda ironic) and establish a similar association with similar goals for only states with democratic governments.

Intervention, general--As the world’s sole superpower, I believe that the U.S. has a moral responsibility to promote democracy and human rights across the globe.  If that means military intervention in foreign conflicts, so be it.

After righting this…I’m pretty confused.  I don’t really know what I am.  Conservative?  Liberal?  Libertarian?  Authoritian?  Neoconservative?

What do you think…cause I really don’t know.   Help me!  I’m having a political identity crisis!!!
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 63  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies