Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 29, 2014, 09:05:33 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Individual Politics (Moderators: Grad Students are the Worst, Torie, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  Summary of political beliefs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 43 Print
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 166267 times)
morays or demon
Ghost_white
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: June 05, 2011, 10:58:23 pm »
Ignore

TJ proves how useless the political matrix really is once again.

In what way? I think my matrix scores are about right: social conservative, economic center-right.

Maybe it's just me but it seems like your score should be about 3 points lower than it actually is. Normally when I see someone with a +7.30 social score I don't think 'for more immigration/granting amnesty' for example. Basically you sound like a Lugar-type Republican from the looks of it not another ghost_monkey or blubb or something.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 11:01:15 pm by your fascist superhero »Logged

That has got to be one of the most retarded proposals I have read on this forum.

Don't worry, I'm sure more will crop up shortly.
Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: June 05, 2011, 11:13:40 pm »
Ignore

Perhaps part of it is that being from Ohio, immigration is pretty much irrelevent as a political issue. I honestly don't think I've ever even considered it when voting. We haven't had significant immigration to this state in over 50 years, especially in Northern Ohio where I am from.

MooMooMoo
Angry_Weasel
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: June 05, 2011, 11:21:25 pm »
Ignore

Well, that's what I would give TJ, anyway. He's probably a 2,7.  He's definitely right-of-center, economically ...but there are several caveats. Socially, he's right-wing (zero tolerance, but not over intense), but he isn't far-right. A far-right person would be interested in denying any form of seperation of church and state and be a tad xenophobic. He's a tad to the right of Bush (Bush "wasn't ready" for a total zero tolerance abortion policy), but not quite at Palin levels.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 11:27:30 pm by FL ST 800.02 »Logged

the result is a sense that we were told to attend a lavish dinner party that was going to be wonderful and by the time we got there, all the lobster and steak had been eaten, a fight had broken out, the police had been called and all that was left was warm beer and chips.
[/quot
specific_name
generic_name
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: June 05, 2011, 11:25:47 pm »
Ignore

TJ proves how useless the political matrix really is once again.

In what way? I think my matrix scores are about right: social conservative, economic center-right.

Your scores seem about right. Maybe more of S +5, hardly matters. A critical check on the abortion issue could push it more positive. The PM could use some improvement as a mentioned in the PM scores thread, but it's far better than the Political Compass which used to be the standard.

G-NY for the sake of not being confused with other I-NY's.

Political Compass:
E: -8.88 S: -8.10
realisticidealist
YaBB God
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 3.48

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: June 06, 2011, 12:00:34 am »
Ignore

Easy. Should animals be treated the same as people? What about robots and computers that have very good AI? What if those robots use some human tissue to operate in the future? ..and its a good point to question what makes a person a person if its not just self-replicating DNA...but is it really a good idea to make that the sole criteria?

...and a lot of people base tradition off of what's right and wrong. For example, what was the father of conservatism, Edmund Burke's philosophy in the application of tradition? What is the role of tradition?

If someone is just going to get upset and call someone "cognitively dissonant", "nasty" and "regressive" because other people may think a certain way or other people think other people think a certain way, what is that person really trying to say?

I can’t say I have a terribly high opinion of Edmund Burke’s philosophy of traditional authority because it doesn’t do what you said in “basing tradition off of what’s right and wrong” but rather he bases right and wrong off of what is tradition, and even then, he does so incredibly selectively.

As for defining the boundaries of human life, yes, there does need to be a boundary, but such a boundary should be firm and determinate, rather than the fuzzy ‘sometime after conception but before birth, but I really don’t know when” spiel that often gets thrown around, for the simple reason that such a determination is necessary to sufficiently establish morally legitimate action. But as I said in my first post on the subject, this is a conversation that is rarely satisfactorily concluded for either side, and it is not the point of what I was getting after initially.

I don’t know what you’re getting at with the last paragraph, but I legitimately believe that Republican95 has a contradiction in his line of thought, demonstrating a lack of firm underlying principles, and I believe that he should attempt to create a coherent philosophy based on more than arbitrarily selecting positions that sound ‘right’. Not only did R95 acknowledge this, but then he attempted to justify his gap in logic, which is not something I personally understand, but whatever.

If you want to debate abortion, that’s fine, but that’s not what my point was.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."
MooMooMoo
Angry_Weasel
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: June 06, 2011, 12:37:57 am »
Ignore

Everyone, apparently including myself, wants to make everything about abortion.

Law school lecture? Try to answer a professor's question with something that do with "life", "human life", "personal autonomy" or just make it about Roe altogheter. Amazingly, out of six times of frustratingly, semi-jokingly using it, it actually was very productive two or three times.

Anyways, thank you for correcting me on Burke....he believed that tradtion was the path to knowing what was right and wrong. His principles would involve the "legal science" of the late 1800s as people would justify the law by saying that new decisions are based on the way things always were and that they are that way for a indeterminable but profoundly important reason.   

The point is that people have their own reasons for believing what they believe, even if it sounds hypocritical to you. "So, we wait til their born to kick their ass" or "Only if you show babies the same compassion you show their murderers and the murderers of others..." are statements that show a lack of understanding of why people think the way they do. That's all I am trying to get across. Nothing more. Nothing less.

the result is a sense that we were told to attend a lavish dinner party that was going to be wonderful and by the time we got there, all the lobster and steak had been eaten, a fight had broken out, the police had been called and all that was left was warm beer and chips.
[/quot
Elyski
elyski729
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.70, S: -8.00

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: July 10, 2011, 11:54:12 am »
Ignore

Social Issues

Overall Ideology: A mix of Social Libertarianism and Conservatism.

Abortion: Pro-Life.

Marriage: I don't have a problem with gay marriage.

Homeland Security: Another useless department. It should be trashed along with all the other money and resorce wasting departments.

Death Penalty: All for it. If a person is a no good killer, why should our tax dollars keep them alive.

Drugs: Legalize Marajuana, continue the war on drugs for more serious types of drugs, like Crystal Meth and "Crocodile".

Euthenasia: If the person is in a lot of pain, and is of sound mind, why ignore them?

Gun Rights: I'm for very little gun control. I do draw the linde at machine guns, like M60's and the like.

Immigration: We need LEGAL immigration reform. Have a shorter waiting period and don't make employment compulsory for citizenship. As for illegal immigration, no amnesty.

Prostitution: Legalize it. Just make sure that the prostitutes have no STDs, are protected by bouncers, and have organized "pimping" be made illegal.

Education: Are country has really fallen behind intellect wise. The U.S.A. ranks behind most of Eastern Europe in math and Science, and is only number 27 in the world for reading. Also with most of Eastern Europe. This could end with the dismantaling of the NCLBA (No Child Left Behind Act), bad teachers being fired so good ones coulld be hired, and the introduction of a voucher system (especialy in low income areas).

Stem Cell Reaserch: I don't have a problem with it, I do have a problem with the government funding it.

Economic Issues

Overall Ideology: Fiscal Conservatism.

The Bailout: Wow, all that government money going to favored buissness so that they won't face banruptcy. That sure sounds illegal to me.

Welfare: I have no problem with unemployed getting money from the government. I have a problem with the lazy f***s who abuse the system and just sit around wathcing American Idol on their flat screen TV waiting for their next check from the government.

Debt: We dug ourselves in a hole we can't climb out of. And the government just keeps digging. Game Over man.....

Taxation:
T.axed
E.nough
A.lready

Foreign Issues

War: A nessecary evil that should be used as a last resort.

United Nations: What have they done for us besides use our resources and disagree with everything we say.

WMDs: They should all be destroyed. If Russia dosen't agree with that, then we should build more ABM's. Also give Israel ABM's. If Iran gets a nuke, you'll know what they'll do first.

Intaxication: Euphoria at getting a tax refund, which lasts until you realize it was your money to start with.
“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.”- Barry Goldwater
"1913 wasn't a very good year. 1913 gave us the income tax, the 16th amendment and the IRS."- Ron Paul
"Every Republican candidate for President since 1936 has been nominated by Chase National Bank."- Robert Taft
Torie
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: July 10, 2011, 12:26:43 pm »

Pragmatism. The end.

Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: July 12, 2011, 10:04:12 am »
Ignore

Welfare: I have no problem with unemployed getting money from the government. I have a problem with the lazy f***s who abuse the system and just sit around wathcing American Idol on their flat screen TV waiting for their next check from the government.

I'm sure you know a lot of people like that.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.30

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: July 12, 2011, 10:46:18 am »
Ignore

Social issues:

Get rid of the FCC and all ratings system

Pro-same sex marriage

Pro-choice

End the war on drugs

Backchuck people in guns shows/shops and prevent some guns to people. Some guns can stay for the hunting and stuff that don't harm people.

Anti-death penatly

Teach sex-education and birth control

Oppose all wars unless there a perpose to the war like the Civil War or World War 2.

Teach evolution in schools

Ecomincs:

More regulations on big business

Less taxes for the middle class and poor

Single Payer health care

Try and spend carefully

morays or demon
Ghost_white
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: July 13, 2011, 03:41:53 am »
Ignore

Alright, last time I'm doing this in a long time. I'm bored, way too awake and feel like ranting...

Abortion: Pretty anti-abortion outside of particular life threatening instances, although given public opinion this being a state issue is the best pro-lifers can really hope for unfortunately.

Marriage/Family: Government shouldn't be involved with marriage licensing or doing the sort of social engineering it does now in taxes, it's discriminatory towards all sorts of people. Also CPS and family court should be much more restrained than now, they are out of control and in a lot of cases send kids to even worse living situations under foster care.

Civil Liberties: Repeal the Patriot Act and similar legislation and abolish TSA, DHS, etc... The incredibly lax/non-existent standards for probable cause and ability for the government to spy on us are pretty ridiculous in general.

Guns: Very important issue to me. End all federal gun control legislation passed since 1934 and generally get government out.

Religion: I don't care if you pray in school or want a government grant for your charity (like all the others) just PLEASE leave me alone. Thank you.

Foreign Policy: We should have a non-interventionist foreign policy. Massively cut the military (>75%) and close down all foreign bases and withdraw from all current 'conflicts' immediately.

Economics: End the federal reserve, break up the banks/firms that caused this mess, ban further bail outs, significantly scale back most regulations (especially for small business), massively scale back the federal government in general. Also no more NAFTA/CAFTA/etc. type deals, we should trade with countries that are similar to us in standard of living and/or basic regulatory burden. As for the debt it's not going to be paid, sooner or later the US is going to default and whatever bond holders are left are going to get a haircut scalping IMO.. We're just delaying the inevitable at this rate. That's just how SamSpade I see it, sorry.

Taxes: Drastically reduce and simplify federal taxation. We should have consumption based taxes (gas tax and maybe VAT/National Sales tax).

Healthcare: Repeal Obamacare, the HMO act of 1973 and at least scale back EMTLA. I have mixed feelings here though, I support public healthcare at the state level but I don't really trust the federal government to handle this even putting aside possible constitutional issues... They can't even manage what we have now competently and lobbyists infect every step of the process as we've seen with all these waivers and special deals. This is one of those rare moments I really wish I was Canadian, at least they're not as stupid as us on this issue.

Energy: The government should stop subsidizing industries and avoid creating new carbon taxes or emissions trading.. Basically I think the market will handle it. I'm not a fan of fracking though.

Agriculture: End farm subsidies. Stop letting factory farms game the system like they do now.

Education: Repeal No Child Left Behind and scrap the Department of Education. I think we should move towards a charter school based system complete with uniforms, but it should pretty much be left to individual districts to decide things unless they're creationist or something equally stupid.

Crime: The drug war is a failure and we should abolish the federal death penalty and generally incarcerate way less people, it doesn't really make us any better off and costs us way too much. We should relax home defense laws in general and move towards a more restitution and/or rehab based system because that would be less expensive and be less invasive and counterproductive in general IMO.

Euthanasia: Should be allowed in terminal cases but leaving this to the states is for the best right now.

Freedom of Speech: For it especially in terms of political speech even if it's 'hateful' although some minor regulations (i.e. vchip or scrambling or something) are OK with me as a compromise as long as they don't ban or severely restrict access to 'offensive' content.

Foreign Aid: End, we have serious financial problems and really, it does a lot of harm quite a lot of the time even when not lost or squandered (e.g. local agricultural markets being harmed; cost of foreign loans). People can donate out of their own pocket or give blood or something if they want, I know I do.

Immigration: I think we should basically have a moratorium.. At least until the economy improves and we've done SOMETHING about our illegal immigration problem, although obviously I'd prefer we simply deported people here illegally.

Minimum wage: Abolish at federal level.

Nuclear disarmament: The US really doesn't need to spend the enormous amounts of money it does maintaining its arsenal these days, assuming it ever really did.

Voting system: IRV + scrapping the electoral college + either scrapping the senate or ending the practice of electing senators (they really are pretty useless). Maybe we should add up the popular vote per state to make things fairer, but idk.. Almost anything would be better than now though.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 01:59:32 pm by paul who was a ghost »Logged

That has got to be one of the most retarded proposals I have read on this forum.

Don't worry, I'm sure more will crop up shortly.
CARLHAYDEN
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: July 13, 2011, 04:27:03 am »
Ignore

Ghostwhite,

Seems to me to generally be a pretty sensible post.

Two points of disagreement:

First, I believe that legal immigration of up to one quarter of one per cent of the United States population per annum (say, about 770,000) should be allowed.

If we give preference to those who will add to our economy (investors and those with critical job skills), this will be a net plus.

Second, the political system (you call it the voting system) is designed to prevent a number of insanities.  While the present system has defects, let me suggest you consider not throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Registered in Arizona for Fantasy election purposes.
Dallasfan65
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: -9.91

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: July 17, 2011, 12:08:40 am »
Ignore

Damn, Mint is pretty centrist for a Democrat.

RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: July 17, 2011, 07:54:11 pm »
Ignore

Abortion: Pro-life except in cases of rape, incest and endangerment of the mother's life.

Marriage/Family: Government shouldn't be involved with marriage licensing or doing the sort of social engineering it does now in taxes, it's discriminatory towards all sorts of people. Also CPS and family court should be much more restrained than now, they are out of control and in a lot of cases send kids to even worse living situations under foster care.

Civil Liberties: Status quo.

Guns: Repeal most of the gun control legislation on the books, starting with the registry.

Religion: No real opinion: I don't care about unorganized school prayer, but I do believe that evolution should be taught in schools. I'm a secular deist, so it doesn't really matter to me.

Foreign policy: Moderately interventionist. I support the Afghan and Libyan campaigns wholeheartedly.

Economics: Free trade, no more stimulus, massive shrinkage of the federal government.

Healthcare: Our Medicare system should be only for seniors and those below the official poverty line. Everything else should be private.

Energy: No subsidies of any sort. Fully develop the oilsands and start a massive nuke plant program.

Taxes: Reduce and simplify direct tax.

Education: Repeal the idiotic Quebec reform and replace it with what came before. Greater emphasis on civics and sciences, allow for vocational streams in schools. Abolish tenure, repeal the language law provisions that deal with education. Let parents decide which linguistic system their children attend.

Crime: Reintroduce the death penalty, support the criminal justice reforms that will be passed by the Harper government in the fall. Relax home defence laws.

Euthanasia: Opposed on ethical grounds.

Freedom of Speech: First Amendment, not the Charter of Rights-mandated Trudeaucracy.

Immigration: Support the Harper government's reforms of the system to a primarily economic one.

Minimum wage: Abolish at federal level.

Voting system: FPTP.

7.35, 3.65

« Les plus nobles principes du monde ne valent que par l’action.  » - Charles de Gaulle

Is it excessive to hold a politician's feet to the fire for giving his base the run around at every turn?
Misoir
Rookie
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #614 on: July 25, 2011, 09:01:26 pm »
Ignore

Social Policy:  I believe in Federalism on this issue allowing states to make their individual choices without interruption by the federal government so long as they do not violate any principles of the Bill of Rights. On the state level however I am culturally moderate with liberal views on gun restriction, drug laws, abortion, gay marriage, evolution, and stem cell research while holding conservative views on crime/punishment, language laws, immigrant assimilation, and school prayer.

Foreign Policy:  On this issue I break with both parties. Overall I am an Isolationist believing in no intervention abroad unless we are facing an immediate and direct threat, a strong military which does not require massive spending, closing all foreign military bases, exiting all international organizations, ending free-trade in favor of import tariffs which equalize the cost of production between our country and the country which we enter a trade agreement with, and drastically reducing immigration until we have assimilated all current immigrants into our society (learn English, pay taxes, do not commit crimes, excluded from welfare benefits until 3 years taxes are paid).

Fiscal Policy:  Balance the budget which includes raising taxes and cutting spending, reform the disability benefits system to check on recipients every few years and give rewards for turning in those committing fraud, strengthening Social Security and Medicare, creating a system of Medicare for all, reduce taxes on corporations to a flat 27% rate, end all tax loopholes, make the income tax more progressive, eliminate several federal departments which would be better handled at the state level (EPA, Transportation, Education), support labor unions right to collectively bargain, spend more on infrastructure development, set a cap for the size of all banks and bust up the ‘too big to fail’ banks.

Government Philosophy:  I support the power of the judiciary, elimination of 17th amendment, strengthen rights of states, believe in strict interpretation of the constitution, favor a very weak executive with a strong judiciary and legislature.

Overall I would say my philosophy is hard to understand but is similar to the Republican Party to the early 20th century with some notable differences. Overall I consider myself an Economic nationalist and Conservative Federalist.

Traditionalist Conservative: Tradition, Hierarchy, High Culture, Distributism, Anti-Liberal, Anti-Individualist, and Social Catholicism. A fan of Joseph de Maistre, Juan Donoso Cortes, and Edmund Burke.

Economic score: -1.81
Social score: +5.57
Bo
Rochambeau
YaBB God
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: July 28, 2011, 04:05:40 pm »
Ignore

Social Issues:
Abortion: I am pro-life in most cases. Abortion should be banned expect in cases of maternal life, maternal health, rape, and fetal abnormalities.

Death Penalty: If abolishing the death penalty saves money, I'm all in favor of abolishing it.

Drugs: Weed and possibly some other less harmful drugs should be legalized. As for hard drugs, legalization/decriminalization should be done on a cases by case basis.

Euthanasia: It should be allowed if someone is critically ill and mentally sane. Otherwise, it should not be allowed.

Gay Marriage: Oppose gay marriage, support civil unions with all the benefits of married couples.

Gun Rights: There should be strict background checks and waiting periods for everyone before getting guns. Possessing guns while high/drunk should be illegal. As for overall gun policy, I would favor having strict gun control everywhere except in areas/cities with high crime rates (where gun control should be looser).

Immigration: There should be strict border controls. I would favor some kind of amnesty for illegals without criminal records as long as they wait behind those immigrants that came here legally and as long as they back all the taxes that they owe.

Prostitution: It should be legal and regulated. If someone wants to have sex for money, they should be entitled to.

Separation of Church and State: Creationism should not be taught in public schools. Other than that, the status quo should be maintained, I guess.

Stem Cell Research: I wholeheartedly support non-embryonic stem-cell research. As for embryonic stem-cell research, I would support it if the embryos were going to be thrown away or destroyed anyway, and I guess I would oppose it otherwise. Still, this is an issue that I'll need to think about a little more.

Economic Issues:
Affirmative Action: Favor affirmative action by income, oppose affirmative action by race or gender.

Education: We should focus more on math and science and get more qualified teachers, I guess.

Environment: Support cap-and-trade and other efforts to help the environment.

Fiscal Policy: Support drastically reducing or eliminating deficits in the long term. I support tax raises on the wealthy and spending cuts on defense and other sectors to reduce the deficit. Deficits should be okay during recessions, as long as they are not too large. Also, I would prefer it if "entitlement programs" for the poor and middle class don't get cut (or at least, don't get cut that much).

Health Care: Support a public option and possibly single-payer healthcare as well.

Social Security: Favor cutting benefits for wealthy retirees. Benefit cuts for poor and middle class Americans should be either small or nonexistent, though.

Taxation: Support higher taxes on the wealthy. If absolutely necessary, I might be willing to support some tax hikes on the middle class as well.

Unions: Neutral. I don't really care one way or the other.

Foreign Issues:
Iraq: We should withdraw most or all of our troops out of there as soon as possible. Invading Iraq was a large mistake and the country seems to be recovering now.

Israel: The U.S. should strongly support Israel but also work towards creating a two-state solution in the region.

Military: Support the servicemembers of the military. However, military spending should be significantly cut after we withdraw from Iraq and Afghanistan.

Intervention: Support intervention to protect national interests and/or human life. Otherwise, I generally oppose intervention.

Nuclear Weapons: The U.S. should jointly pursue partial disarmament along with Russia and the other nuclear weapons-states. The U.S. should keep some nukes until all other nuclear weapons-states agree to completely disarm, though.

What do you guys think of my political positions?

PPT TNF
TNF
YaBB God
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: July 29, 2011, 02:09:11 am »
Ignore

Abortion: Pro-choice with minimal restrictions. We should focus on reducing the number of abortions performed by investment in young mothers and our health care system, rather than trying to stamp out abortion with a doomed-to-fail prohibitory policy.

Marriage/Family: Same-sex marriage ought to be legal.

Civil Liberties: Status quo.

Guns: Status quo.

Religion: Status quo.

Foreign policy: Realism tempered with liberalism. End the ongoing conflicts in Afghanistan and in Libya, and reduce American military commitments abroad.

Economics: Realist trade policy combined with a national industrial policy, heavy Keynesian stimulation of the economy, and universal social insurance programs.

Healthcare: Medicare should be expanded to the whole of the population.

Energy: Massive investment in nuclear power and expansion of drilling for oil and natural gas in non-protected areas. TVA-style arrangements to harness hydroelectric power. Make clean energy cheap rather than making dirty energy expensive. No Cap and Trade, no Carbon Tax.

Taxes: Close loopholes, increase progressivity.

Education: Greater emphasis on vocational education for those who shouldn't go to college and who simply don't want to. Increase power of teachers' unions to help with policymaking, end the use of charter schools and vouchers. Abolish tuition at public universities and ban any private educational institution from operating as anything other than a non-profit.

Crime: End use of the death penalty. Reform the prison system to focus on rehabilitation and teach prisoners trades.

Euthanasia: Legalize.

Freedom of Speech: Status quo.

Immigration: Regional points-based system.

Minimum wage: Increase to $10 an hour.

Voting system: FPTP with IRV.

specific_name
generic_name
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: July 31, 2011, 01:37:55 am »
Ignore

Wow a Democrat from Kentucky. Wink  Welcome to the forum TNF

Political Compass:
PPT TNF
TNF
YaBB God
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: July 31, 2011, 09:57:21 am »
Ignore

Thanks! We're actually the majority here. I'm just an out-and-out liberal while most of my fellow Kentucky Democrats are socially conservative economic populists.

Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #619 on: July 31, 2011, 06:36:04 pm »
Ignore

PHILOSOPHY ON GOVERNMENT:
Government has a role in society to be as small as possible, but also helpful to the people it represents.  It is not the role of government to legislate on personal and moral issues, such as marriage, drugs, and abortion, and government should never monitor its citizens for security reasons.  Ultimately, the citizens themselves should be the biggest factor in the growth and prosperity of a country.  However, government should also work as a tool for people in need, and never turn away from those who need a hand-up, not just a hand-out.

I describe myself as a "New Democrat".

ECONOMY:
  • Supports fair, but free trade
  • Supports fair regulations on large corporations
  • Supports new negotiations on trade policies with China and Mexico
  • Supports democratic-capitalism
  • Supports a single-payer health care system or public option
  • Supports auditing the Fed and making the chairmanship an electable position
  • Supports fighting plutocracy
  • Supports the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act
  • Supports budget cuts to ineffective government projects
  • Opposes cuts to Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and education

TAXES:
  • Supports tax cuts for small businesses and families making under $250,000 a year
  • Supports cutting the Payroll Tax
  • Supports abolishing the Estate Tax for middle-class families
  • Supports cutting the Corporate Tax, so that the US can continue to be competitive in a global economy
  • Supports ending loopholes
  • Supports progressive taxation
  • Supports raising the Capital Gains Tax
  • Supports a tax on marijuana
  • Opposes the Bush tax cuts
  • Opposes the Flat Tax

FOREIGN:
  • Supports complete withdrawal from Afghanistan
  • Supports complete withdrawal from Iraq
  • Supports diplomatic approaches to preventing Iran from creating nuclear weapons
  • Supports closing military bases in countries where they are not needed, such as Germany
  • Supports cutting military funding at least by half
  • Opposes foreign aid to China
  • Opposes nation building

SOCIAL:
  • 100% Pro-choice; supports Roe v. Wade, and want it to be made federal law
  • Supports gay marriage in all states and territories
  • Supports marijuana legalization
  • Supports the Equal Rights Amendment
  • Opposes TSA scans
  • Opposes the PATRIOT ACT
  • Supports affirmative action to an extent; Opposes quotas

GUNS:
  • Supports the Brady Law
  • Supports background checks
  • Supports concealed guns
  • Leans against bans on semi-automatic weapons
  • Opposes the presence of guns in schools, college campuses, and bars

CRIME:
  • Supports the Three Strikes Law
  • Supports more police on the streets in high crime areas
  • Opposes the death penalty

ENVIRONMENT:
  • Supports hands-on solutions to combating greenhouse gasses
  • Supports transitioning the country and the economy to more environmentally friendly fuel sources
  • Opposes Cap-and-Trade (ineffective, indirect, unable to solve the problem while banks benefit more than the environment)

CHURCH AND STATE:
  • Supports a constitutional amendment allowing non-led prayer in public schools
  • Opposes laws that pertain to religion
  • Opposes removing "In God We Trust" from money
  • Opposes removing God from the Pledge
  • Opposes The Ten Commandments being posted on walls of courthouses
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 11:57:55 pm by Senator Scott »Logged
specific_name
generic_name
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: August 02, 2011, 12:22:40 am »
Ignore

Thanks! We're actually the majority here. I'm just an out-and-out liberal while most of my fellow Kentucky Democrats are socially conservative economic populists.

Oh, yes.... I remember the big conversation about the Democratic registration advantage which was supposed to hurt Rand Paul. I imagine that, it's kind of like West Virginia to a degree - economic populism going back awhile - but still uberconservative.

This reminds I last filled this out in 2007 when I was on the right, time to get cracking on a new version so everyone can know what a communist I've become.

Political Compass:
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: August 02, 2011, 01:07:41 am »
Ignore

Voting system: FPTP.

That's an interesting position. I'd be interested to hear your reasoning.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Torie
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: August 02, 2011, 09:39:15 pm »

A summary of mine - it depends.

You kip if you want to...
change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: August 06, 2011, 06:54:43 pm »
Ignore

Social Issues

Abortion: I'm staunchly pro-choice. It's the mothers decision what she does with her body.
Church and state: Keep the two completely separate. If you want to follow a religion, follow it, you don't need the government to "enforce" or "endorse" a religion for you to do that. Get religion out of schools (replace "R.E." with something more productive), abolish state run schools which have religious affiliation. Get rid of the Lords Spiritual.
Gay Marriage: Legalize
The Smoking Ban: Keep it and keep it as it is. There's no need to expand it or abolish it.
Euthanasia: Legalize it.
Prostitution: Illegal
Embryonic Stem Cell Research: I don't have a problem with it. The pros far outweigh any cons.
Immigration: I personally don't have a problem with the current system, although i'd support some stricter rules and regulations simply to put a stop to the rise of the far-right. Maybe like the Australian system.
Fox hunting: Keep it banned, obviously.

Economic Issues

Taxes: I favour the LibDems' approach to taxation. Hardline progressive taxation. Cut VAT to 15% to stimulate consumer spending and to renew consumer confidence.
Welfare state: Support it. Expand it. Invest in it.
Healthcare: Increase funding for the NHS. No "competition" in the health service.
Education: Massively increase funding in education. As above, abolish religiously aligned schools. Encourage lessons to develop citizenship. Abolish tuition fees! Keep tuition fees at a current rate (as of 2011-12) and freeze the cost to students over the lifetime of the parliament. Keep the Education Maintenance Allowance (E.M.A) and maybe extend the limit to £40,000 income to receive it. Make Sixth Form education compulsory. Abolish single-sex schools. Abolish faith schools.
Minimum Wage: Keep it and raise it.
Infrastructure: Introduce congestion charges in all major cities, but massively cut prices for public transport. Nationalise railways.
Energy Policy: Invest in nuclear power - it's clean, it's powerful - we just need to research into ways to improve safety. Build more wind farms and put up solar panels. Take advantage of tidal power and other renewable resources.

Foreign Issues

European Union: Further intergrate with Europe although I oppose a federal "United States of Europe". Stay in our current situation. The single currency has failed the European people, go back to pre-Euro situation. It's more than clear that the Union needs more accountability. Oppose expansion until the EU has weathed the current storm, but i'd be open to it afterwards.
Afghanistan: Increase troop numbers there.
Military Involvement: Attack only if attacked or directly threatened. Don't blindly follow the US like with Iraq. Get out of Libya.
Military Budget: CUTCUTCUT!

Constitutional Issues

Devolution: Support the assemblies in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland as long as Scottish, Welsh and Northern Ireland MPs aren't allowed to vote on England-only matters OR form an English Parliment just for English issues and keep the current Houses of Parliament for UK-wide issues.. Establish regional assemblies (North West, North East, Anglia, etc).
Scottish/Welsh Independance: Oppose! Keep the United Kingdom united. I could never support the nationalist government in Scotland, although I suppose it's not my place.
Voting and elections: Keep the voting age at 18. Introduce an Additional Member or an AV+ system. NOT AV. Give constituents the ability to re-call their MP.
House of Lords: Democratically elect members 100% of the House of Lords, no appointments or hereditary peers or bishops or anyone who isn't accountable to an electorate. Allow party members to elect their party's leader, Labour should keep its electoral system, but the party leader (whether in government or opposition) should be subjected to a confidence vote by the PLP upon election and every year there after.
Monarchy: Abolish it completely. Become the United Republic and let the public elect the head of state.
Fixed terms: Stupid idea.

Changes in italics.
Changes in italics.

They call me PR
Progressive Realist
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: August 07, 2011, 02:20:38 pm »
Ignore

Social: Libertarian. I believe strongly in individual freedom, including the right for a woman to choose, the right to keep and bear arms, the right for a homosexual couple to marry, the right to practice one's religion, and the right to privacy. I also believe strongly in the separation of church and state.

Economic: I believe that small businesses and innovative fields like the "green" industry are what stimulate the economy. I believe their autonomy should be protected, and I support free trade. However, I recognize that consumers and small businesses need protection from predatory corporations seeking to create monopolies, so I advocate strong, transparent government regulation of industry.

Foreign: I am pragmatic when it comes to foreign policy. I believe in a world of shared self-interest. I also believe in spreading democracy, but through the power of votes and reformers, not through the power of bullets and bombs. I think institutions like the U.N. are good experiments but need a lot of reform in order to be effective.

Alright, my modified political views...

Social: Pretty liberal in general. I believe that freedom of religion should be protected, but I also believe strongly in the separation of church and state. I think a woman should have the right to choose, gay couples should have the right to marry, with all of the legal protections that straight couples have. I believe in the right to privacy and that the USA Patriot Act is in violation of that right. However, I believe in the right to bear arms. Drugs should be legalized, except for really dangerous drugs like methamphetamine, and the War on Drugs should be ended; nonviolent offenders should be released from prison. I think money spent on social programs for the poor could be better spent on education, and that a favorable and more egalitarian tax code for the lower and middle classes would greatly level the playing field.

Economic: As said above, a fair tax code is crucial to a healthy, thriving working and middle class society. Taxes should be steeply progressive, with 70 percent being the highest marginal rate for incomes of over $2,000,000 a year, and on incomes of less than $25,000 a year, there should be no income tax. The cap on Social Security taxes should be lifted. Taxes on capital gains, dividends, interest,  estates, and gifts should also be quite high. Corporate taxes should be lowered for small businesses. On the spending side, I believe that military spending should be cut in terms of wars, foreign bases, procurements, and intelligence operations, and the move towards streamlining the military into a more effective defense force should be initiated. On the domestic discretionary spending side, more federal money should be spent on education, infrastructure, and public transportation. I believe a single-payer health care system is the best option for medical care.

Foreign policy: As said above, military spending should be streamlined into what is necessary for defense and what is effective. More money should be spent on foreign aid and on the Peace Corps. I believe in democracy, spread through an assertive but not aggressive example by the United States. I think that the United Nations should be viewed not as a necessary evil, but a necessary good that can do much good if the United States helps lead the way.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 43 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout