Summary of political beliefs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:28:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 63
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 556642 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #725 on: June 02, 2012, 10:20:05 PM »

Social Issues:

Abortion: I do not morally support abortion, however, I believe it should remain legal. I do not support having taxpayer money go to abortion and believe it should only be legal for cases of rape, incest, mother's life or severe deformity.

Cheesy
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #726 on: June 02, 2012, 10:29:57 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yeah, these three are in need of serious revision/clarification.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #727 on: June 03, 2012, 08:31:37 AM »

Yeah, these three are in need of serious revision/clarification.

On stimulus spending I said it cannot solve economic struggles, but can help. Putting duct tape on a broken heart doesn't make it not broken.

The other two I really did contradict myself. Sorry. I'm absolutely awful at construing my thoughts.
Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #728 on: June 03, 2012, 11:59:33 AM »

Abortion: Pro-Choice but i favor banning partial-Birth Abortions with the exception of the life of the mother
Budget; i Support a Balanced Budget Amendment To the U.S Constitution, i support the PAYGO rule
Gun-Control: i support the right to bear arms but i support a background check on people who buy a gun
Crime: I'm For the Death Penalty
Foreign policy: I'm a Internationalist, i believe that we need to defend Israel, and we must promote freedom and democracy abroad, overall im a Scoop Jackson Democrat when it Comes to Foreign policy
Taxes; I support getting rid of the loopholes in the tax code and making the tax code more simple, and taxes should be simple Lower but fair
Energy; I support a all of the above Energy policy, i believe we must drill oil safely and make sure that if we Drill in places like Alaska we must make sure the locals approve
Same-Sex marriage- i support Civil unions, and i support the repeal of DADT       
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #729 on: June 03, 2012, 12:02:35 PM »

Simfan clearly has been hitting the bottle again.

Also, don't try to make fun of me by putting my fucking post in here as your "platform." I've gotten enough shit about it, I don't need more of it from somebody who thinks Jon Huntsman is the saviour of the universe.

Look man, I might have been a bit tough on you, but realize you're on a Political forum discussing political issues. Any change you make in your positions is going to be scrutinized, picked apart, and ridiculed. Now, you're 15, and to give you credit, my political views were nowhere near as well-defined as yours are now, contradictions aside. I followed the news and all, but I didn't have any set of core values. You've got to realize your views will change, and they're likely to form and erode rapidly at least until you get into college.

There's no shame in admitting you're changing your views. It was, to a degree, unfair to accuse you of changing your positions for the purposes of Atlasia. But if you truly believe in what you've written, then perhaps you ought to ask yourself if you just don't know what your positions is. No one can ridicule you for that.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #730 on: July 15, 2012, 02:15:43 PM »
« Edited: March 03, 2013, 01:21:08 PM by Governor Scott »

I feel like I'm probably going to be updating this again some time, but here we go-

Social Issues

Abortion/Women's Health
  • Keep abortion legal nationwide, without restrictions; pass Freedom Of Choice Act
  • Expand access to contraception
  • Allocate public funds towards Stem Cell Research
  • Promote 'safe sex' education programs

LGBT Issues
  • Repeal DOMA, pass Respect For Marriage Act
  • Legalize same-sex marriage in every state, including adoption rights
(no preference for whether this should be done through ballot referendums, state legislatures, or courts)
  • Include sexual orientation in hate crime laws

Drugs
  • End the ‘Drug War’ and withdraw funds; cease distribution of funds to fight drugs in other countries
  • Legalize, regulate, and tax the sale of marijuana
  • Legalize most drugs, with the exception of methamphetamine or any drugs that cause direct harm to bystanders

Prostitution
  • Legalize and tax prostitution
  • Require routine medical tests and strictly enforce health standards

Guns/Crime
  • Support conceal-carry and 'castle doctrine' laws
  • Support the Brady background checks
  • Oppose handgun bans
  • Neutral on assault weapon bans
  • Oppose the death penalty

Education
  • Support public schools, but not misguided spending; reform the system from within
  • Adopt a Finland-based system and repeal 'No Child Left Behind'
  • Reward public schools that succeed, and redesign failing ones

Immigration
  • Enforce immigration laws; use defense funds to increase Border Patrol, deploy sensors, and build fences
  • Prosecute businesses that hire illegal immigrants
  • Provide residency for illegal individuals who demonstrate ‘good moral character’ by pursuing higher education or serving for at least two years in the US military
  • Oppose English-only legislation; strengthen bilingual education, instead
  • Do not prosecute children of illegal immigrants
  • Oppose ‘Arizona-style’ immigration proposals

Euthanasia
  • Allow euthanasia at the consent of individual doctors and their patients

Church and State
  • Allow voluntary school prayer, but no official teacher-led prayer; allow students to start religious groups
  • Keep the words ‘under God’ in the Pledge of Allegiance
  • Do not let religious dogma influence policy decisions

Economic Issues

Affirmative Action
  • Shift the emphasis on AA strategies from racial preferences to economic empowerment of all disadvantaged citizens; oppose quotas
  • Support equal pay legislation

Free Trade
  • Generally support free trade; oppose both global laissez faire and protectionist policies
  • Give other countries access to the US market if they apply labor and environmental standards to factories
  • Build a rule-based global trading system

Health Care
  • Keep the Affordable Care Act in place for the time being, but transition to a public option or single-payer system
  • Cover American citizens from the time of birth

Welfare
  • Support ‘work-for-welfare’ legislation, such as the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act
  • Drug-testing for welfare recipients has not worked in practice or saved money for welfare programs, but I’m in favor of letting states mandate drug-testing if it’s proven to be a cost-saving measure

Minimum Wage
  • Support the minimum wage, but exempt small businesses that would not be able to afford it

Taxes
  • Roll back the Bush tax cuts for top earners, but keep them in place for Americans making below $250,000.  Revert back to Clinton-era tax levels when the economy stabilizes
  • Remove tax loopholes
  • Reduce the Corporate Tax

Regulations
  • Re-evaluate government regulations; some are necessary, but others have the tendency to benefit large corporations at the expense of small businesses

Spending Cuts
  • Make deficit reduction a priority, but not one that outweighs the importance of economic recovery
  • Oppose across-the-board spending cuts until the economy stabilizes
  • Evaluate and slash spending that goes  to wasteful or unnecessary projects

Energy
  • Continue oil drilling, but incentivize the private sector to generate energy from cleaner sources
  • Launch an initiative for the federal and state governments to transition energy sources in public buildings (new heating and air conditioning systems, new lighting, etc.)
  • Keep tax credits for the production and sale of hybrids and environmentally friendly vehicles
  • End government subsidies and tax cuts to oil businesses
  • Lean against Cap and Trade legislation

Social Security
  • Protect SS funds from being allocated toward unrelated expenditures (lock box)
  • Raise the Payroll Tax after the economy stabilizes
  • Oppose proposals to raise the retirement age or privatize Social Security

Unions
  • Balance labor demands with business concerns
  • Negotiate with public unions for pension cuts when necessary, but keep collective bargaining in place

Foreign Policy/Defense

PATRIOT ACT
  • Strongly oppose; repeal the law in its entirety and protect Constitutional liberties

Afghanistan & Iraq
  • Withdraw all military presence from Afghanistan and Iraq

Israel/Palestine
  • Support a two-state solution; craft a foreign policy that pertains to the needs of both Israelites and Palestinians
  • Keep both entities accountable for upholding promises

Iran
  • Use embargoes and isolationist techniques against Iran, but commit no military action unless there is clear evidence that a nuclear arms program is being developed

Syria
  • Oppose US intervention in Syria.

Military Spending
  • Withdraw troops from Korea, China, Japan, Europe, and elsewhere
  • Reduce overall spending on defense; reallocate some funds toward border protection

Electoral Issues/Government

Voter Regulations/ID Cards
  • Support distribution of voter ID cards, but not at the expense of the individual
  • Oppose any reform laws that might disenfranchise voter participation
  • Allow early voting and count absentee votes

Electoral College
  • Abolish the electoral college; let new presidents be selected via popular vote.

Washington D.C.
  • Let the citizens decide if they want to remain a district or become a part of Virginia/Maryland, but only at the consent of the state that would incorporate the district.

Puerto Rico
  • Let the citizens decide on statehood.

Senate
  • Eliminate use of the filibuster
  • Reduce Senate terms to four years instead of six
[/list]
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #731 on: July 15, 2012, 03:16:57 PM »

Social Issues

Abortion: States should decide this issue. I oppose abortion on a personal level strongly, and believe that life is sacred.

Same-sex marriage: This issue also is a states’’ rights issue, but I think government should not regulate marriage at all. That way, the government does not have to recognize same sex marriages, which I mixed on. My religion quite clearly states that it is wrong. But I think it is just as wrong for me to force my views on two people in love. By removing marriage from politics, I can go to a church that does not have to recognize same sex marriage, and I don't have to force my views on homosexuals, who are loved by God just as much as a heterosexual.

Drug legalization: I support legalization of marijuana at a state level. I think the "war on drugs" targets minorities unfairly, and is way too costly to keep up. If marijuana was legal, than it would quickly be taken over by corporations, and regulated in the same way that beer and tobacco is regulated. It is easier for me to get pot than is beer these days.

Prostitution: It is a states right to legalize it, but I think it should be legal, as long as it is not on the street. Local governments should regulate whether or not street prostitution should be legal, but as long as normal prostitution is legal, "pimping" should become obsolete.

Guns: The 2nd Amendment clearly states that every citizen has a right to own a gun, and no state should be able to do away with that. However, if I did support gun control, I would want the state to ban the sale of guns, which is the only constitutional way to do so.

Education: Education is a complex issue. I support the abolition of the Department of Education, and allow the states to run their own education programs. In Florida, the school system should focus on teaching, not testing, and the power of the teachers union should be curbed. The school system should only teach students in English, and non English speakers should be taught English along with their classes.

Immigration: I support placing the military on the border. I also support an immigration reform program that would slowly grant citizenship to illegals that complete the following three steps-1. Learn English, 2. Serve in the military or complete a large amount of community service, and 3. Have no criminal record. The Constitution should be amended to say that children of parents who are citizens born in foreign countries should be able to be elected President, and children born to parents who are not citizens but living in America should NOT be able to get citizenship.

Stem Cell Research: Stem cell research is full of potential, but must be done by private companies.

Euthanasia: Doctors should not have the power to end life, only prolong it. If a patient truly is in pain, they have the ability to kill themselves without the help of a Doctor.

English as the official language: English should be the official language of the USA, and being able to speak it should be a requirement for citizenship.

School prayer: Each individual school should decide whether it’s allowed.

Pledge of Allegiance: We should keep 'under God' in the Pledge of Allegiance.

Economic Issues

Affirmative Action: End it. Its reverse discrimination.

Trade: Pull out of NAFTA, and other treaties which violate our sovereignty. Enact tariffs on all imports, but nothing higher than 5%.

Health Care: Each state should be able to decide their own programs, but I support the Federal Government opening up state lines to make competition for insurance companies. I also support the programs of Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security, but they must be reformed for future generations.

Welfare: I support mandatory drug testing for welfare recipients on a state level.

Minimum Wage: Each state should decide this.

Monetary Policy: The Constitution gives the right to coin and regulate the value of money to Congress, not private banks. Therefore, the Federal Reserve is unconstitutional, and should be abolished. The Fed should be replaced by the system we had prior to the Federal Reserve, and the gold standard should be reinstated.

Taxes: I think the Federal income tax should be abolished, and replaced with a consumption tax. All other taxes should be flat.

Regulation: Some regulations are needed. Each state should decide their own regulations.

Spending Cuts: Pass a balanced budget amendment to the US Constitution.

Energy: The government should not be involved in energy. The Department of Energy should be abolished, and the Federal Government should open up ANWR, and each state should decide whether they want offshore drilling.

Social Security: Social Security should not be looted to fund other programs. It needs reforms to survive, and a cap should be placed on new members for all those born after 2020.

Unions: States should decide their own laws. I think that Unions are out of control, and that businesses should decide whether or not their employees can join a union. If the employees go on strike, and the owner does not want to make concessions, he can fire all of the strikers. It's his right.

Foreign Policy/Defense

PATRIOT ACT: Repeal it! Repeal it! Repeal it!

Afghanistan: Pull out, it’s unwinnable.

Cuba: End the embargo, and open up relations with Cuba. End "wet foot dry foot", and begin deporting illegal Cuban immigrants.

Iraq: Withdrawal all troops from Iraq, and investigate whether or not WMDs were ever there. The US should prosecute those involved in any cover-up.

Israel/Palestine: End US support and aid for Israel and Palestine until a two state solution can be made. Have both the US embassy in Israel and the US Embassy in Palestine (if there is one) in Jerusalem. Recognize Palestinian statehood, but demand that Israel’s sovereignty be recognized by Palestine.

Iran: I would pressure Iran to end their program, but it's their country, not ours, and we have no rights to tell them what they should do and what they should not do. I would not place any sanctions on any nation.

Syria: I support humanitarian aid for civilians, but nothing more.

Military Spending: Cut it by 40%, and refocus our attention to our own Hemisphere. Close foreign bases.

Voter Regulations/ID Cards: States rights issue, but Florida should not enact a law like this, as it could lead to a national ID card situation.

Electoral College: Fine as it is.

Washington D.C.Sad Fine as it is. I think the number of states should be capped at 50.

Puerto Rico: End our control, and let them be independent. No statehood, what so ever. End the special tax breaks in the mean time, and when the independence process is nearly complete, end US citizenship for its inhabitants.

Senate: I oppose the filibuster, but no reform is needed. Keep the popular election of Senators, but allow each state to decide if they want their Senators/Representatives to have term limits.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #732 on: July 15, 2012, 04:35:06 PM »

Guns: The 2nd Amendment clearly states that every citizen has a right to own a gun, and no state should be able to do away with that. However, if I did support gun control, I would want the state to ban the sale of guns, which is the only constitutional way to do so.

I'm confused. Tongue
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #733 on: July 15, 2012, 04:40:15 PM »

I'm confused. Tongue
I meant to put sales in italics Tongue You should be able to have a gun, but they are vague on buying a gun....Wink I still think the sale of guns should remain legal, of course, I just found a loophole that could be exploited.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #734 on: July 16, 2012, 11:56:20 AM »

I'm confused. Tongue

I am too.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #735 on: July 16, 2012, 04:17:50 PM »

I'm confused. Tongue

I am too.
I am 100% against a ban on the sale of guns, or guns themselves. But, sadly, a loophole for those who want to get some form of gun control exists..a ban on guns is unconstitutional, but, technically, a ban on the sale (not the ownership) of guns would be constitutional. That does not mean in anyway that I support gun control.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #736 on: July 16, 2012, 04:40:22 PM »

I'll try...

I consider myself an anarchist, first of all.  But I'll try to discus my views in the context of liberal, bourgeois society, rather than a bunch of theoretical "abolish everything" stuff.

Abortion -- I've mentioned this before.  In regards to abortion, I'm a total bastard -- I think the social attitudes towards abortion and fetuses should be totally changed, so that aborting an unwanted fetus isn't a big deal, regardless of trimester or reason.  And I believe that as the fetus is in the individual's body, the decision whether or not to abort it is up to nobody but the individual who has the fetus in their body.

Drugs -- I believe that "soft" drugs should be completely legalized.  "Hard" drugs that pose a serious risk to society (like meth) should have their sale banned perhaps, but not their possession or usage.

Foreign policy & defense -- I think the U.S. should cut off all non-humanitarian aid to Israel.  I think the U.S. army should be gutted.

And, actually, I think that the U.S. should just break up into a bunch of smaller states, united by some EU-like supranational entity.

I believe that Bradley Manning is awesome, and I absolutely despise the whole "Bradley Manning is a traitor" and/or "hang Bradley Manning" crowd.

Basically, I hate the U.S. government.

Anyways...

I think non-commercial filesharing should be legal.

I believe that gender is a social construct, and not biological.  I would support a completely genderless society, though I'm wary of the sort of cultural revolution that would be required to make such a thing happen.  I can't stand liberal feminists.

I think the world would be a better place if people at least waited a long while to have kids.  Yes, having kids at like 40 increases risk for defects, but that's what abortion is for!  I can't stand hippy-dippy types who say "what's so wrong with having kids at 13, man?"

I despise tradition.  My particular cultural pet peeve is when women take their husband's last name and/or give their kids the father's last name.

I dislike monogamy.  And I don't care much for the nuclear family.

I think that conscription is a great moral evil.

I think Iran should be left alone.

If, say, aliens invaded and killed a bunch of us, and the choice was between humans dying off and humans going back to the values of 3,000 BCE (men fight and do all the important stuff, women shut up and have tons of babies) in order to survive, I'd probably pick the former option.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #737 on: July 16, 2012, 08:13:29 PM »

Well, here goes. It'll probably be enlarged and changed eventually, but I'm using the basic format from Senator Scott.

Social Issues

Abortion: Eeeh, this is a complicated one. I believe abortion should be reduced, and if at all possible, eliminated except for the "incest, rape, and life of the mother" scenarios. I would criminalize most abortions beginning when the baby can survive outside the womb, because if the baby can survive, just induce pregnancy early and then you don't have to abort the baby. Aborting the baby when it can survive is murder, in my opinion. On the flip side, I support birth control that isn't abortion (pills, etc), and would support better sex ed in schools.

Same-sex marriage: I'm... cautious on this, and would like for there to be civil unions with all the legal authority of a marriage, but if same-sex couples want to call it a marriage, then I guess they can. Just as long as they don't force churches to perform same-sex marriages. I know they won't though, so yeah.

Drug legalization: I support legalizing, taxing, and regulating the living daylights out of marijuana, and even support international efforts between governments to produce it and undercut cartels, if needed. I don't know enough about other drugs to intelligently comment on those, so I don't know about legalization of most drugs. I do oppose legalizing meth and cocaine though.

Prostitution: Oppose, though the areas where it's widely practiced (Las Vegas, etc) can keep their legal prostitution. I support efforts to crack down on sex slavery on the flip side.

Guns: I support banning assault weapons, heavily regulating handguns, banning certain guns altogether, mandatory background checks, and banning the sale of guns to anyone who has had a record of mental instability. I also support cracking down on illegal gun sales.  I guess the Castle doctrine can stay though.

Education: Adopt a Finland-style system to revamp education entirely, and pump far more money into schools. Also, hire education specialists from successful nations to see what we're doing wrong. Lastly, we should create more scholarships.

Immigration: No 100 feet tall or whatnot border fences. That's a dumb idea. I think immigration laws should be enforced, but we can't ignore what deporting every illegal immigrant would do to our economy. Perhaps a partial amnesty should be done, and the DREAM Act should definitely be put into law. No Arizona-style immigration laws, they're xenophobic and incredibly stupid. Perhaps a trade deal with Mexico could reduce illegal immigration? Either way, the immigration process should be simplified and streamlined.

Stem Cell Research: Stem cell research should be legal and federally funded. In fact, there should be tax breaks for people who donate stem cells that aren't from fetuses (this is why it's controversial, right?)

Euthanasia: I guess it should be allowed if the patient wants it. No clue for patients who can't provide consent.

English as the official language: (same as Senator Scott except for LDS stuff) I think that newcomers into the country should be incentivized to learn English, even in Spanish-speaking colonies in the country, but I oppose adopting English as the official language.  Strengthen bilingual and immigrant education. Work with the LDS Church to get missionaries and returned missionaries help with teaching English-as-a-Second-Language.

School Prayer: I support permitting voluntary, non-led prayer in public schools, though I'm personally uncomfortable with taking part in one.

Pledge of Allegiance: The Pledge of Allegiance is a dumb practice, and I frown upon schools taking part in it. I support legislation to ensure that states can't make it mandatory.

Economic Issues

Affirmative Action: It depends; does it help lower-income minorities? If so, support. If it helps well-off minorities, then unsure or vaguely oppose. If it's fair pay and hate crime/anti-discrimination legislation, I support it fanatically.

Trade: More protectionism in some industries, but not all. Trade deals are fine or useful on a one-on-one basis. We need to rely on China less.

Health Care: I don't think the ACA went nearly far enough, but it's a good starting point, and the Supreme Court decision solidified the ability to go further. I would support a single-payer Medicare for all system, and would be okay with a public option if push came to shove. This is one of my more important issues.

Welfare: I support workfare experiments and would like to see all capable persons on welfare be able to get a job, but I don't have enough info to comment on any specific act. I am opposed to mandatory drug-testing for welfare recipients.

Minimum Wage: Support increasing the minimum wage for large businesses while at the same time lowering the minimum wage the same amount for small businesses.

Taxes: Clinton-era taxes for those making over half a million, while keeping Bush tax cuts for those making below half a million. Once the economy starts to recover, roll back the Bush tax cuts slowly, only a bit each year. Gut most tax loopholes.

Regulation: (Same as Senator Scott except last bit) Government regulations over businesses should be re-evaluated.  Some are necessary and should be implemented where they're necessary, but others tend to benefit large corporations at the expense of competitors and consumers through regulatory capture. Regulate credit-card industries much more. Also, empower the Consumer Finanical Protection Bureau.

Spending Cuts: Cut wasteful spending, especially in the military, but "wasteful" must be redefined. Economic recovery is above this issue in priority. We can fix the deficit when the economy is doing okay.

Energy: Lessen oil-drilling and transition to renewable energy sources. There should be a federal "Green Energy Initiative" created to pave the way for a green energy industry. Tax breaks for clean energy industries is something I'm supportive of. Transitioning the military to clean energy is already happening, and I'm in favor of it. If there's another BP-level screw up in off-shore drilling, break up the corporation that did it and enforce heavy regulations on the next oil company to try. However, I'd also like oil corporations to be given incentives to be more efficient with energy derived from those sources.

Social Security: (Same as Senator Scott) I support protecting Social Security funds from being allocated toward unrelated expenditures, and support raising the payroll tax after the economy stabilizes.  I oppose any raise in the retirement age and any privatization plan.

Unions: (Same as Senator Scott) Balance labor demands with business concerns and negotiate with public sector unions when necessary.  I oppose bans on collective bargaining.

Foreign Policy/Defense

PATRIOT ACT: I despise the PATRIOT ACT and want it's repeal. I would like a Constitutional Amendment, or at least a series of strong legislation that protects personal liberties, to ensure that something like the PATRIOT ACT never happens again.

Afghanistan: I support withdrawing all military presence from Afghanistan, though I would personally try and figure out a military proposal that arms whatever's left of Ahmad Shah Massoud's faction.

Iraq: I support withdrawing all military presence from Iraq. We didn't need to be there in the first place.

Israel/Palestine: I support either a two-state solution that ensures safe conduct between both countries, or a single-state solution that ensures equal rights for the Palestinians. Compromises must be made on both sides, and both need to be accountable.

Iran: No invasions of Iran, that's the worst idea I've ever heard. Economic embargoes and isolating them from the world stage is much more useful. If they're actually trying to build a nuke, then military action, but under no circumstance should there be an invasion.

Syria: I support US intervention in Syria, though on a limited level.

Cuba: End the stupid embargo already, it isn't helping anyone!

Military Spending: Cut some of it, and reallocate some funds toward clean energy development.

Voter Regulations/ID Cards: (same as Senator Scott) I support distributing voter ID cards, but I fully oppose requiring the purchase of them.  If possible, include voter ID information on drivers’ licenses.  I oppose any restrictions on voting that causes disenfranchisement and early/absentee ballots should always be counted.

Electoral College: Keep it, but moderate it's influence somehow.

Washington D.C.Sad Let them have a voting Congressional representative. Don't make them a state.

Puerto Rico: (Same as Senator Scott, except the end comment) Let the citizens decide on statehood, though I'd personally love to see them be the 51st state.

Senate: Abolish the filibuster, and lower the amount of Senators needed to pass a bill.

Congress: Increase the number of Congresspeople to make individual Congress members less influential.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #738 on: July 16, 2012, 08:53:40 PM »

Oh yeah, and I highly oppose gun control.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #739 on: July 23, 2012, 08:30:13 PM »

I'm bored and tired, so these answers may be brief. I'll probably update it more thoroughly at another time.

Social Issues

Abortion: I'm pretty neutral. Personally pro-life and would like the weekly limit for abortions to be reduced to 12 at least. That's probably the best I can hope for in the UK. In a US context, I would leave it up to the states, but would support parental consent laws before an abortion.

Same-sex marriage: In favour from a Conservative point of view, bringing in gay marriage strengthens the whole institution of marriage, which is good for society and families as a whole. Scrap that 'Civil Partnership', whatever it is.

Drug legalization: Oppose. Medical Marijuana is alright, I guess. Otherwise I don't support the legalization of drugs.

Prostitution: Oppose. Not much else to say really.

Guns: I would support gun law relaxation in the UK, though the chances of that happening, even under Cameron is nil. In a US context, I would strongly support the 2nd Amendment, oppose most gun regulations, probably be an NRA member, allow concealed carry laws (with a required license) etc. Though I oppose gun carrying on national parks.

Education: I'm all in favour of the 'Free School' and 'Academies' idea that Michael Gove is promoting in the UK, bringing back tougher qualifications, O-levels, and scrapping useless degrees/subjects will do alot of good.

Immigration: Restrict. Stop the endless flow of migrants, even though EU laws prevent this. Tighten the guidelines required for entry, increase border control restrictions too.

Stem Cell Research: Yeah, what's wrong with this?

Euthanasia: Mmm, not too sure on this. Probably lean-oppose, but I wouldn't criminalize people who aid relatives who go abroad for it.

English as the official language: Yes, yes, yes. Put it in the Constitution.

School Prayer: I went to a Church of England school and had school prayer. Nothing wrong with it. Leave it up to the school governors/parents to decide.

Pledge of Allegiance: Support it, although it's not really a UK thing.

Economic Issues

Affirmative Action: Urgh no. Scrap.

Trade: Gotta love a bit of Free Trade.

Health Care: Increase the privatization of the NHS, it's time to stop squandering money into the bottomless pit of nationalized health care. Continue to promote private sector involvement. In a US context, I opposed the ACA.

Welfare: I support  mandatory drug-testing for welfare recipients, and the new 'three strikes and your out' law, which ensures individuals don't scrounge on the welfare system, when some people are genuinely in need.

Minimum Wage: Leave it as it is.

Taxes: Lower across the board. Take low income earners out of the tax bracket, reduce the top rate of income tax to 40%, then, depending on the economic situation, to 35%.

Regulation: Too much bureaucracy and government involvement. (Generic, tired, answer)

Spending Cuts: Cut, cap, balance. (US) Cut big time on Health and Welfare, stop cutting Defense and the Police. (UK)

Energy: Investigate renewable energy sources.  Tax breaks for clean energy industries is something I'm supportive of. However, I'd also like oil corporations to be given incentives to be more efficient with energy derived from those sources. I'm very much in favour of increased Nuclear Power, and would support offshore oil drilling.

Social Security: Make a compulsory pension fund for all workers over-21, which they can access when they retire.

Unions: Ensure that Unions cannot strike without the support of over 50% of all their members, introduce emergency anti-strike legislation if need be. Allow the firing of workers who go out on strike and don't return to work.

Foreign Policy/Defense

PATRIOT ACT: Support general anti-terrorism legislation. It's a necessary evil.

Afghanistan: Stay in until the jobs done, whenever that will be.

Iraq: This isn't really relevant now, but I would have supported the surge in a US context.

Israel/Palestine: As a general rule, I'm a big supporter of Israel and oppose Palestinian UN recognition.

Iran: Keep nothing off the table. Invasion included. Increase sanctions and international pressure.

Syria: Do a "Libya" on Syria, even if it doesn't have UN recognition.

Cuba: Leave it as it is.

Military Spending: Restore pre-2010 spending levels. (Higher than today)

Voter Regulations/ID Cards: Abhor the use of ID cards. Voter regulations aren't really a UK issue, though from what I read I tend to agree with them in a US context.

Electoral College: Keep it.

Washington D.C.: Leave it as it is.

Puerto Rico: Leave it as it is.

Senate: Abolish the filibuster to 55, otherwise leave it as it is.

Congress: Leave it as it is.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #740 on: July 24, 2012, 02:21:25 AM »

Social Issues

Abortion: Absolutely pro-choice, not the governments job in this medical procedure.

Same-sex marriage: again, government has no role in defining marriage, gays should be married.

Drug legalization: In my world, all drugs would be legal. But to keep it sane, I would legalize marijuana, and treat other drugs as a public health issue, not as a criminal issue.

Prostitution: What kind of libertarian doesn't love PROSTITUTES? Am I right, or Am I right?

Guns: take your guns where you want to take your guns, what guns you like. Its important part of protecting our freedoms.

Education: Voucher programs have proven success, so i would support that, instead of throwing more money at the issue, as it has tended to be handled.

Immigration: I'm not against reform to make it slightly easier, but until some good reform comes, we have to enforce our border, and do that by taking our troops out of all the unnecessary wars that we are currently in.

Stem Cell Research: I don't know if the government should fund it, but i just know people should be allowed to at least research it.

School Prayer: In public schools, no. In private schools, yes. I think that is the way it is.

Pledge of Allegiance: I'm an atheist, but this isn't really an issue to me.

Economic Issues

Affirmative Action: Not the governments job.

Trade: absolutely.

Health Care: The government shouldn't be involved in this, basically because i fear the corruption of this area of importance. The individual mandate, a conservative idea adopted by a left of center president, is a poisonous, unconstitutional idea.

Welfare: I would support abolishing in my world, but again, if i were to live in this world, I would drug test those who want it.

Minimum Wage: I'd say abolish it, so that teens can really work, even if it means that they have to actually work in order to get promoted or a pay raise or ect.

Taxes: get rid of the lobbyists and the corporate intrest by flattening the tax code to 15% to 20% and getting rid of all the corporate subsidies. If you can't survive on your own as a company than you probably shouldn't artifically survive thanks to the government.

Spending Cuts: Cut ALL ACROSS THE BOARD. We're blowing money through a water hole. Cut defense, bring our troops home, while at the same time, cutting entitlement programs, and abolishing several departments of government.

Energy: I would support people in their quest for cleaner energy, or more efficent energy to replace what we have.

Social Security: privatize. boom.

Unions: Ensure that Unions cannot strike without the support of over 50% of all their members, introduce emergency anti-strike legislation if need be. Allow the firing of workers who go out on strike and don't return to work.

Foreign Policy/Defense

PATRIOT ACT: Unconstitutional, and blasphemous to our way of life. Repeal immiediately.

Afghanistan: Get out, immediately.

Iraq: see afghanistan.

Israel/Palestine: not our business

Iran: look at actions, not intentions. We needn't be the policemen of the world.

Syria: see everything else i've said.

Cuba: stop our trade enbargo on Cuba.

Military Spending: slash to 2003 levels.

Voter Regulations/ID Cards: Just showing your ID to vote is fine with me. Otherwise, voter fraud is ridicolously low and not an issue.

Constitution: awesome.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #741 on: July 30, 2012, 11:54:58 AM »

Abortion: Generally supportive of the status-quo.  I believe that the Roe v. Wade decision has provided a reasonable framework that protects both a woman’s right to choose and state autonomy.  The Roe decision should be protected, but the states should be allowed to write their own laws outside of that.  I reject being classified as siding with the “Pro-Choice” or “Pro-Life” lobbies, as neither one of these terms really reflect my “middle-of-the-ground” stance on the issue.  Support federal funding for stem cell research.   

Gay Rights: Opposed the overturning of DADT; I believe that issues regarding sexuality on the battlefield serve as nothing more than a distraction and that the discussion of sexual topics--whether they be heterosexual or homosexual--does nothing to further the American military.  I believe that homosexual marriage should be a state issue, but I do see federal involvement in the matter to be necessary.  I believe that federal tax benefits should be reserved for heterosexual couples as a way for the government to encourage procreation among the population.  Not generally supportive of homosexual adoption, but believe that it should be a state issue.     

Sex and Prostitution: Legalization of prostitution should be a state issue.  That being said, I would not like such a vulgar practice to be visible in my community.   

Second Amendment: Supportive of the Second Amendment and believe that its text protects the rights of law-abiding private citizens to purchase and carry firearms.  Supportive of “castle laws” that allow citizens to protect their life and private property through the use of deadly force.  Believe that background checks and regular gun registration should be required for gun owners.  Support closing the gun-show loophole.  Would consider a reenactment of the assault weapons ban that was in place during the 1990s.   

Drug War: Since the drug trade is international in nature, I  believe that issues relating to drugs necessitate federal involvement.  I support working more closely with other nations around the world to suppress the drug trade where it starts.  Should increase funding to anti-drug programs in both schools and prisons, with habitual drug users being send to court-mandated rehabilitation.  Penalties should be strengthened for drug offenders and prison sentences should be instituted for first-time drug offenses.  Believe that the federal government should tie state drug laws to highway funding, as they have done with alcohol as to discourage states from passing pro-drug laws.         

Economic issues

Education: Favor the NCLB’s approach of standards-based curricula in education reform.  Would increase federal involvement in K-12 education in order to ensure that students are excelling in core areas essential to academic success.  Would encourage the Department of Education to develop benchmark standards for grades K-12 and require all students to be tested in these areas annually.  Support tying education funding to school performance, allowing the methods that work the best to receive the most support.  However, I realize that this may come at the expense of poorer, more rural schools who also need more federal assistance and I would put into place programs to specifically aid schools such as these. 

Believe that secondary education should be reformed as to place more emphasis on vocational education for students who do not excel in more traditional college-preparatory classes.   Stricter enforcement of anti-truancy laws is essential to lowering the dropout rate, and I believe that the legal dropout age should be raised to 18.

Opposed to charter schools as they take necessary funds away from public school programs.  Would also like to see shorter school years and school days.  American children spend more time in school now then ever and we have no results to show for it.  I believe that shorter school days (especially for younger children) and shorter school years (especially for older children) would help students be able to focus more while in the classroom and allow older students to gain more experiences through internships, part-time jobs or other personal enrichment courses.       

Tax Code: Favor adopting the Bowles-Simpson plan, closing loopholes and limiting deductions.  Support linking the Alternative Minimum Tax to inflation.  Individual tax rates are good where they are.  Support raising payroll taxes on high income earners.  Institute a flat tax rate for corporations.     

Entitlement programs:  Generally supportive of protecting Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security.  However, I believe that these programs need reforms in order to protect their solvency.  Encourage partial privatization of Social Security by allowing future beneficiaries to move their funds into government-approved private investment accounts.  Support a watered-down version of the Ryan Plan for Medicare reform.  More Medicaid assistance to the states.

Health care:  Generally opposed to the Affordable Care Act due to the presence of the individual mandate.  Would favor partial repeal.  Support using innovative free-market solutions, such as allowing insurers to compete across state lines, to increase access to insurance by lowering premiums.  Support extensive tort reform in order to lower the costs of medical treatment.  Favor streamlining the FDA-approval process in order to reduce costs.  Think that small businesses should be able to “pool” together in order to hold a larger stake when negotiating insurance contracts for their employees.   

Labor Unions: Believe that the right to form a union is protected by the First Amendment right to assembly.  Unions preserve a delicate balance between the importance of a business’ bottom line and the welfare of its employees.  Do not support a federal “Right to Work” law because I do not believe that the federal government should be allowed to place conditions on such terms of employment. 

Living Wage: Support linking the federal minimum wage to inflation. 

Free Trade: Strongly supportive of free trade as a way to increase the United States’ exports.  Believe that free trade is advantageous to both the United States and foreign nations.  Would work to establish free trade zones around the world, especially within the Americas and European Union. 

Immigration Reform: Support amnesty for law-abiding illegals who have resided in the country for at least seven years.  Support passage of the DREAM Act and the establishment of a guest-worker program and a more generous Visa program.  Support the strengthening of our border security as a matter of national security.  Encourage ESL courses as a means of assimilation.  Reform and streamline the legal immigration process as to deter those seeking to enter the country illegally.  Increase humanitarian aid to Latin America in order to decrease poverty in the region and to encourage economic development.   

Energy Independence and the Environment:  Favor increasing investment in alternative sources of energy as well as more traditional sources of energy.  Would look to see a renewed focus on research and development rather than the commercialization of currently inefficient energy sources.  Support streamlining the licensing process for the construction of nuclear power stations.  Support increasing oil drilling on federal lands, including offshore, in oil shale and in ANWR.  Support the promotion of natural gas as a suitable energy source.  Support the completion of the Keystone XL oil pipeline.     

Transportation: Support increasing federal funding to transportation programs across the nation.  Build more highways, enlarge airports and seaports, improve access to public transportation and increase support for rail initiatives.  Support more government involvement in wireless infrastructure to expand access to broadband Internet access. 

NASA -Space Exploration: Strongly support the federal government’s role in the space program.  Believe that the emphasis should be shifted from space exploration to research and development.  Would set goals for permanent lunar research stations and regular trips to Mars by 2040. 

Foreign Policy

Iraq:  Support continued U.S. presence in Iraq through the use of development grants and security training.  Iraq should be our top “emerging ally” in the region and a secular Iraq is necessary for a pro-American Middle East.

Afghanistan: Support increased troop levels in Afghanistan as a way to reduce violence.  Work diplomatically with Afghan government to decrease corruption and continue to fight terrorism.   

Iran:  Continue to press for harder sanctions through the United Nations.  Encourage paramilitary forces in ousting current regime.   

Pakistan:  Continue to diplomatically pressure Pakistan to aid in the fight against terrorism.   

Israel/Palestine:  Supportive of Israel.  Increase American aid to Israeli government.  Oppose creation of Palestinian state.  As one of the only secular democracies in the region, Israel deserves the United States’ support on moral grounds. 

European Union:  Start to dissolve ties with the EU, favoring instead forming stronger coalitions among its individual members.  Work for stronger relations with Germany and France while maintaining strong relations with the United Kingdom.   

Eastern Europe: Expand American presence in Eastern Europe by increased economic aid and trade.  Give Eastern European nations an “alternative” to Russian influence.   

Russia:  Deliver Russia an ultimatum on its support of undemocratic, rogue nations.  Make some big scene on the international stage in order to attempt to “embarrass” the Russian government.  Go toe-to-toe with Putin over Syria and Iran.  Fund paramilitary groups in Chechnya and other breakaway provinces.   

Arab Spring: While supportive of the right to self-determination for Arab peoples, support American friendly governments in the region.  Put pressure on the new Egyptian government to maintain friendly relations with Israel.        

United Nations:  Support continued American presence in the United Nations, if only to maintain our likeability around the world.  Support reforming the Security Council to allowed for more varied interests to be represented.   

Democracy-Related Issues

District of Columbia: Count residents of the District of Columbia as residents of the state of Maryland for the purposes of Congressional representation.  Allow D.C. residents to vote in Maryland congressional elections.   

Puerto Rico: Favor Puerto Rican independence.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #742 on: August 13, 2012, 09:20:51 PM »

Abortion: Pro-choice.  Support Roe v. Wade and federal funding for abortions, and strongly support stem-cell research

Gay rights: Well, since I'm gay, there isn't really much to say.  I think I should have the right to get married to whoever I end up with, and to adopt and raise kids with him.  And while I can't see myself serving in the military, I think my fellow queers should have the right to do so openly. 

Prostitution: Not something I'd engage in, but I don't think the government has a right to say that people shouldn't be allowed to do.  Support legalization.  Just keep it in places where no one will see it and away from residential areas.

Marijuana: Less addictive than alcohol.  Support legalization on that basis. 

Second Amendment: In favor of tougher regulations on who can own guns, and what kind of guns civilians should be allowed to own. 

Education: Put heavy investments into poor and rural schools.  Funding should go to hiring and training more teachers to cut class sizes.  Students should also not be judged based on their standardized test scores.  Also, I don't support the mandatory recitation of the pledge of allegiance.  Also, I support the abolishment of college tuition fees. 

Health care: Support a single-payer system. 

Taxes: Favor closing loopholes and raising taxes on the wealthy dramatically to a maximum rate of 65% for those earning above $2 billion a year.  I do think everyone earning $1,000,000 a year should also pay 60%. 

Social Security: Call me a left-wing loonie.  Our cushion of protection is very limited and should be expanded by 50% at least.  Medicare and Medicaid should also be funded better. 

Unions: Very pro-unions and for fighting to preserve their collective bargaining rights. 

Minimum wage: Should be raised to $10/hour, and should be higher in some places depending on the cost of living (should be at least $18/hour in NYC, for example).  Shouldcohen be linked with inflation. 

Trade: For fair trade. 

Immigration: Support eaisier pathways to citizenship for illegal immigrants.  Support a stronger, but less intimidating-looking border. 

Environment: Climate change is real, better believe it.  Support cap-and-trade and more conservation programs. 

Energy: Support heavy investments in solar, wind, and other clean energy.  Oppose nuclear energy too. 

Transportation: Support heavy new investments in it.  Also support the creation of a national high-speed railway. 

Iraq: #BigMistake

Iran: Sanctions are too across-the-board.  Should be oriented more at the country's leaders rather than the population. 

Afghanistan: Support withdrawal of all troops by this time next year.  Should continue to aid Afghan government in the fight against the Taliban, but we should also pressure it to become less corrupt and more democratic. 

Israel/Palestine: Cut ties to Israel and propose sanctions on it until it allows civillian goods into Gaza and withdraws all settlements from the West Bank.  Still be tough on Hamas. 

Military spending and atomic weapons: Support a halt to the building of new atomic weapons and suppor a reduction in the size of our nuclear arsenal.  Support a halt to building of new aircraft carriers, tanks and planes (except for replacements).  In favor of a gradually-implemented 50% (at least) cut in total military spending (though there should be no cuts to anything that might threaten the safety of our troops.). Also support a 30%  increase in Veterans Affairs Department funding. 

Wall Street: Support he reinstatement of the Glass-Stegall Act along with new, tougher regulations on the banks and Wall Street. 

Cuba: End the embargo, for God's sake. 

Arab Spring: Support the uprisings and intervention in Libya.  All for going Libyan-style in Syria. 

Washington, D.C.: Support statehood for it. 

Puerto Rico: Support independence for it. 

Political/Electoral reform: Support strong limits on corporate money in campaigns.  Also support the replacement of FPTP system in the House with MMP.  Also support the abolishment of the Senate since it is unfair that every state has two Senators.  Send those hundred members to the House.  Also, support the replacement of our presidential system with a parliamentary one. 
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #743 on: August 26, 2012, 12:29:57 AM »
« Edited: August 26, 2012, 12:58:44 AM by koenkai »

Social Issues

Abortion: Preferably safe, legal, and rare. Keep abortion legal up to 20 weeks. Require parental, spousal notification, as well as counseling and ultrasounds. No federal funding for planned parenthood.

Gay Rights: Oppose DADT. Support the Employee Non-Discrimination Act. Personally extremely morally opposed to homosexual marriage, but I'm not really going to complain about other people getting them. However, I do not want my children to be integrated into a pro-homosexual discourse (like what public education system is moving towards).

Sex and Prostitution: Prostitution should be legal.

First Amendment: Protect and defend the Citizens United decision and the right to free speech.

Second Amendment: Pretty happy with the status quo.  

Crime: I oppose the death penalty as well as three-strikes laws and mandatory minimum sentences.

Drug War: We can probably pull back a little. Decriminalize marijuana. Reform drug sentencing. But continue our "drug war" efforts abroad.

Economic issues

Education: Discourage colleges, both private and public. It's a bubble and parasite on society that preys on people. We should be sending less people to 4-year institutions and sending them more to vocational schools. As a result, financially support our community colleges and other vocational schools. Support school vouchers, charter schools, and everything that weakens the grip of the public school unions. Though in all fairness, my children will probably be sent to religious schools.

Tax Code: Heavily cut corporate taxes. Simplify the tax codes and kill most tax deductions (besides charity and the earned income tax deduction), especially the mortgage deduction. Lower the income tax rates and maybe institute a national sales tax to make up for the difference.

Entitlement programs: Support the Ryan Plan tentatively. Enthusiastically support whatever highly-watered down version of the Ryan Plan actually makes it through Congress.

Health care: Opposed to Obamacare due to lack of actual cost control measures. Total waste of effort. Support partial repeal. Institute rationing boards for all public healthcare systems (medicare, medicaid), similar to how NHS rations based on QALY. Try to move towards universal catastrophic health insurance.

Labor Unions: Federal right-to-work law. Ban public unions from striking or collective bargaining. Ban unions from collecting mandatory dues. We need to destroy union power.

Minimum Wage: I'd preferably the abolish the minimum wage, but barring that, I'm okay with keeping it where it is right now.

Free Trade: Seek to tear down all trade barriers through mutually beneficial bilateral negotiation. Support the TPP.

Immigration Reform: Create a very large guest-worker program. Generally reform the legal immigration system on Canadian lines (more legal immigrants, preference toward skilled immigrants). Oppose English as the official language. Stop deportation. End birthright citizenship.

Energy Independence and the Environment: Eh. All-of-the-above approach, etc. Pursue coal, natural gas, shale, wind, solar, nuclear, and everything. Environmental concerns should not be taken seriously.

Transportation: Privatize Amtrak. It's a failure. Besides that, we're doing a pretty fine job already.

Space Exploration: Scrap all further space exploration.

Foreign Policy

My foreign policy views and goals are perfectly aligned with those of the United States government.

Electoral Issues

District of Columbia: Status-quo

Puerto Rico: Up to the Puerto Rican People
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #744 on: August 26, 2012, 06:47:51 AM »

Gay Rights: I do not want my children to be integrated into a pro-homosexual discourse (like what public education system is moving towards).

Education: Discourage colleges, both private and public. It's a bubble and parasite on society that preys on people. We should be sending less people to 4-year institutions and sending them more to vocational schools. As a result, financially support our community colleges and other vocational schools. Support school vouchers, charter schools, and everything that weakens the grip of the public school unions. Though in all fairness, my children will probably be sent to religious schools.

Labor Unions: Federal right-to-work law. Ban public unions from striking or collective bargaining. Ban unions from collecting mandatory dues. We need to destroy union power.

Have you met Krazen1211 yet?

First Amendment: Protect and defend the Citizens United decision and the right to free speech.

Or Vosem?

Environmental concerns should not be taken seriously.

Well that's interesting...

My foreign policy views and goals are perfectly aligned with those of the United States government.

As is this...
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #745 on: August 26, 2012, 10:09:59 AM »

Space Exploration: Scrap all further space exploration.

World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #746 on: August 26, 2012, 10:15:29 AM »

Environmental concerns should not be taken seriously.

I don't really think we can do both of these things.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #747 on: August 26, 2012, 08:17:38 PM »

When I mean environmental concerns, I'm referring to the environmental concerns around our energy policy. I do not find the environmental concerns around fracking, mountain-top mining, the keystone pipeline, nuclear power, or any of these convincing.

Of course, climate adaptation is an issue, but that is largely an agricultural, infrastructure (levees, etc.), and foreign policy problem (participation in global climate adaptation programs). I find the idea that we should curb industry in order to halt emissions non-serious because every 10% cut in US emissions is offset by roughly 6 months of Chinese industrial growth. Let alone Indian, Brazilian, etc.

And there is no good argument in favor of space program besides "voters like sci-fi".
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #748 on: August 26, 2012, 09:11:33 PM »

I do not find the environmental concerns around fracking, mountain-top mining, the keystone pipeline, nuclear power, or any of these convincing.

I tend to find pumping millions of gallons of chemicals into my groundwater (not to mention oil), blowing the tops off of mountains, and being irradiated rather convincing.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #749 on: August 27, 2012, 11:42:15 PM »

interesting that virtually everyone is summing up their views with positions rather than actual concepts...
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 63  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies