Summary of political beliefs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:34:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 63
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 556481 times)
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2005, 05:54:34 PM »

Social Issues

Separation of church and state: Support; remove 'under God' from pledge and public Ten Commandments displays.  However, I'm ok with faith-based initatives if they are applied blindly.

Freedom of speech: Support Holmes' "clear and present danger" philosophy.  Keep flag burning legal.

Right to an abortion: Strongly oppose except to save the mother's life.

Affirmative action: Strongly oppose in hiring practice.  Somewhat support in college admissions for diversity purposes, but it is too extreme in its present form.

Gun rights: Support the 2nd amendment, though the states should be able to set policy from there.

Civil unions or gay marriage: Strongly support personally but leave the issue to the states.

Euthanasia: Support among mentally competent patients.  For the mentally impaired (such as Terri Schiavo) if a living will exists requesting it, I support euthanasia.

Prostitution: Let the states decide.  Personally I would probably oppose but I haven't thought too much about it.

Capital punishment: Strongly oppose

Economic Issues

Employers and Employees: A legally binding contract between employer and employee.  I support the right to sue over discrimination and support the right to form a union.

Taxation: Slightly make the tax brackets more progressive, but don't tax the rich into oblivion.

Spending: Scale back foreign aid and government waste.  Look for ways to downsize the bureaucracy.  Don't cut funding from most social programs.

Free trade: Support with countries with stable and strong economies (I would vote no on CAFTA).

Funding of the space program: Strongly support.

Foreign policy

Iraq: Opposed from the outset because we had bigger problems to deal with at the time (Iran, North Korea).  Now, I support remaining in Iraq until the country is fully stablized

Neoconservatism: I am opposed to nation-buliding.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2005, 05:54:20 PM »

Update:

Social Issues

General philosophy: Libertarianism

Separation of church and state: Very strongly support; the government should be completely neutral on all religious questions (neither pro-religion nor anti-religion)

Freedom of speech: Oppose all laws restricting the content of speech, except libel, slander, perjury, etc.; accept more restrictions when the speech is occurring on government property rather than private property

Right to an abortion: Very strongly support, although it is not constitutionally protected

Affirmative action: Very strongly oppose

Gun rights: Strongly support gun rights; oppose assault weapons bans, trigger locks, restrictions on concealed carry, etc.; oppose all federal gun control whatsoever

Civil unions or gay marriage: Support both, but the latter is preferable

Euthanasia: Strongly support

Prostitution: Support legalization

Capital punishment: Oppose

Economic Issues

General philosophy: Close to laissez-faire capitalism

Employers and Employees: Strongly support liberty of contract

Taxation: Highest tax bracket should be no more than 25-30%. The Alternative Minimum Tax should be abolished.

Spending: Cut most government spending

Free trade: Very strongly support

Foreign policy

General philosophy: Hawk; realist (as opposed to idealist)

Iraq: Opposed, not on so-called "moral grounds," but on the grounds that it destabilizes the region and costs too much

Neoconservatism: The American military exists to protect American interests, not to topple dictatorships
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2005, 06:26:54 PM »

Social Issues

General philosophy: Authoritarian

Separation of church and state: I strongly oppose government actions to remove religion from public places. I believe a government body has every right to display religious items on their grounds and I strongly oppose attempts by anti-religious organizations to censor displays of religion in public.

Freedom of speech: I believe there is no blanket right to free speech. I oppose allowing free speech that incites violence or terrorist acts against the United States and I believe anyone that puts American troops in harm overseas by writing slanderous articles about them should be jailed. I oppose the Supreme Court rulings that allow the defilement of the American Flag.

Right to an abortion: I oppose any and all abortions preformed for any reason. I support criminalizing abortion on the same level as any other murder.

Affirmative action: I support income based affirmative action for public school admissions.

Gun rights: I support an unalienable right of gun ownership and usage for those citizens with a criminal background free of a felony. I oppose gun ownership by those with a history of a felony.

Civil unions or gay marriage: I oppose government recognition as gay unions as marriage and oppose adoption by gay parents. I support gay unions for two adults.

Euthanasia: Oppose any form of murder, consensual or otherwise.

Prostitution: Oppose any legalization

Capital punishment: Oppose in all cases where the life of the prisoner will not compromise security. Support replacing it with mandatory life in solitary confinement. Picture the worst prison imaginable.

Economic Issues

General philosophy: Capitalism

Employers and Employees: I oppose any attempts to regulate employee/employer regulations by a federal minimum wage and I support allowing termination of a contract for any reason the employer cares to give.

Taxation: I support a progressive tax based on around 10 brackets ranging from a low of 0% to a high of 35%. Remove all capital gains taxes, the death tax, and institute a poll tax.

Spending: Give the President the power of a line-item veto and look into a national referendum on the federal budget.

Free trade: I support free and equal trade, though tariffs are warranted in some sectors.

Funding of the space program: I support economically beneficial funding of the space program, along with possible military applications.

Foreign policy

General philosophy: Realist Hawk

Iraq: Support because of the influence we've gained in the Middle East.

Neoconservatism: Oppose some of the more idealistic goals of the ideology.
The 2nd Constitarian
deadeyeaim
Rookie

« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2005, 06:45:25 PM »

I'm a constitarian all the way.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2005, 07:28:53 PM »

Oh god......
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2005, 06:58:29 AM »

Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2005, 04:11:11 PM »

Looks more like a Spike Lee movie than a Carl Reiner movie.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2006, 08:03:12 PM »

Why should one person live in wealth & luxury with money to burn, while someone on the other side of town, who works just as hard or harder, live in poverty?
One could also ask: Why should one person's property be stolen in order to benefit someoen else?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2006, 08:12:16 PM »

MARIJUANA – Marijuana should be legalized or at least decriminalized. It's the same as alcohol & tobacco. If it isn't legalized the only people that should be fined or be jailed should be people with heavy amounts of pot that are using it for the purpose of trafficking. Someone that just smokes recreational shouldn't be punished. There are always people that abuse things. Even with drugs illegalized, people get addicted & have the urge to try more hard drugs, but most do not. Same with alcohol. There will be alcoholics, but should we have Prohibition just because a few ruin it for the rest of us? Of course not! Someone's life shouldn't be ruined with a criminal record, because he was caught smoking weed. I'm pro-choice too – I don't think someone can force someone not to smoke pot if they want to. It's their choice, & they could put into their body whatever they want – the only person they hurt is themselves. & to those that told me – "My taxes are paying for their lung cancer bills from smoking weed," then we should also ban fast food/unhealthy food for causing obesity, cars for polluting the air & causing respiratory problems, etc.

SMOKING – Tobacco should be banned in public places because of second hand smoke. No debate here.

Nice double standard.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2006, 08:57:00 PM »

Why should one person live in wealth & luxury with money to burn, while someone on the other side of town, who works just as hard or harder, live in poverty?
One could also ask: Why should one person's property be stolen in order to benefit someoen else?

Because 'property' is merely something which is given to someone, and protected by State power.  It is the State which created the power relationships texascindy described above, and your use of the term 'stolen' is rather silly.  A better way of putting your post would be 'Why should the State cease using force to maintain the owners in the positions of advantage over the workers?'
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2006, 07:23:52 AM »

Overall Philosophy: Left-libertarian

Social Issues

General philosophy: Left

Separation of church and state: Support

Freedom of speech: Support; oppose banning hate speech or flag burning

Right to an abortion: Support in the first two trimesters; oppose restrictions (i.e. mandatory counseling, spousal or parental notification or consent, waiting periods, etc)

Affirmative action: Oppose in its entirety

Gun rights: Support the second amendment and concealed carry (Vermont/Alaska style); oppose common restrictions (i.e. closing the "gun show loophole" non-issue, mandatory trigger locks, assault weapons ban, waiting periods, etc)

Civil unions or gay marriage: Support full same-sex marriage & adoption rights

Euthanasia: Support physician assisted suicide or euthanasia for consenting adults

Prostitution: Oppose legalization

Capital punishment: Oppose in all instances; abolish and replace with life imprisonment

Economic Issues

General philosophy: Left-libertarian

Employers and Employees: Support employers' rights

Taxation: Increase it

Spending: Decrease it

Free trade: Support

Funding of the space program: Not particularly concerned with

Foreign policy

General philosophy: Cautious isolationism

Iraq: A mess, don't really have a clue what to do
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2006, 08:49:22 AM »

Prostitution: Oppose any legalization

Economic Issues

General philosophy: Capitalism

Apparently your irrational religion addled brain has not noticed the inconstitency in the above positions.
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2006, 09:59:05 AM »
« Edited: July 13, 2006, 07:50:21 AM by BrandonW »

Overall Philosophy: Center

Social Issues

General philosophy: Center Left

Freedom of speech: Support;

Right to an abortion: I support its legality in the first trimester.  Unsure about the second.  I am against third trimester abortions.

Affirmative action: Definetly opposed

Gun rights: Support the second amendment

Euthanasia: I support this

Prostitution: Support legalization

Capital punishment: Heavily Support

Economic Issues

General philosophy: Center Right

Employers and Employees: Support employers' rights

Taxation: keep the same

Spending: Decrease it

Funding of the space program: I support the funding of the space program

Foreign policy

General philosophy: not sure

Iraq: We took the wrong approach with Iraq
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2006, 05:11:55 PM »

Overall Philosophy: Moderate-Conservative-Libertarian

Social Issues

General philosophy: Moderate

Separation of church and state: In a nation as religiously diverse as the United States, I feel as though it is silly and ignorant to govern with an "Iron Cross". If God wants to walk out of the sky and run for political office, then (and only then) will I take his opinions into account.

Freedom of speech: Support. It is the FIRST ammendment.

Right to an abortion: I am neutral on the abortion issue. I am not a woman, and thus will never have to worry about whether or not I should have an abortion. My general idea is, "their body, their business".

Affirmative action: A flat out violation of both civil and property rights.

Gun rights: As a gun owner, I am adamnet in my support for the second ammendment.

Civil unions or gay marriage: Also neutral, I am not gay and thus will never have to worry about it. Like abortion, "their life, their business". I personally feel however that marriage benefits should be denied to all couples of people.

Euthanasia: Undecided, I just don't really care. "Their family, their business".

Prostitution: I hate to sound redundant but, "Their body, their business". For some women, it could be all they have and they should have the right to take advantage of what they deem as an oppertunity. Allow me to quote George Carlin. "Selling is legal, ing is legal...so why is selling ing illegal?"

Capital punishment: I am probably in the top 5 most conservative on crime and capital punishment. I support a "punishment only" policy for crime, and an extention of the death penalty to include rapists and child molesters.

Economic Issues

General philosophy: Conservative

Employers and Employees: I support employers rights to hire whom they please and fire those that they deem incompetent. I do not support "freedom from firing" for employees who strike.

Taxation: I support a 15-18% flat tax.

Spending: We spend far to much in my mind. I support a 70% decrease in general spending to counteract the effects of a 60% spending increase since GWB took office.

Free trade: Support, but not with nations whom have a history of civil rights violations.

Funding of the space program: With the growing fad, and dream for some, of going on a "space vacation"...I think that partial privitisation would be an effect route to take.

Foreign policy

General philosophy: Moderate

Iraq: I am glad that Saddam Hussein has been eliminated, this doens't change the fact however that he was in no way connected to 9/11. Should have stuck to Afghanistan and searching for Osama bin Laden.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2006, 05:43:11 PM »
« Edited: July 12, 2006, 05:46:22 PM by TCash101 »

Social Issues

General philosophy: Left

Separation of church and state: Strongly support

Freedom of speech: Support

Right to an abortion: support in first trimester, opposed in third

Affirmative action: I don't approve of quotas, but otherwise support for government positions, oppose for a mandate  for private sector

Gun rights: Support the second amendment, but might favor limiting the manufacture of certain guns

Euthanasia: support

Prostitution: hmm... I guess I don't want to make it legal, but I oppose police entrapment tactics to catch "Johns"

Capital punishment: Support as a measure to protect society, oppose as a means of enacting retribution for victims

Economic Issues

General philosophy: Center

Employers and Employees: too vague to respond- I do support right to work laws

Taxation: simplify

Spending: Decrease it in some areas

Funding of the space program: oppose- there are so many more things relevant to our existence than this- I oppose spending billions to larn about some planet beyond Pluto while people are starving on Earth. If money were not an object, sure

Foreign policy

General philosophy: support efforts at diplomacy and concensus building

Iraq: oppose Iraq war
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2006, 05:56:46 PM »

Social Issues

General philosophy: Leftist/Libertarian

Separation of church and state: Strongly support

Freedom of speech: Strongly Support

Right to an abortion: Support in the first trimester

Affirmative action: Oppose

Gun rights: Oppose in a UK context- leave it as a state issue in the US

Civil unions or gay marriage: Support civil unions with the progression onto marriage

Euthanasia: Support

Prostitution: Let local areas decriminalise ot if they wish.

Capital punishment: Strongly Oppose

Economic Issues

General philosophy: Centre-Right

Employers and Employees: Huh?

Taxation: Reduce across the board and move towards a flat tax system.

Spending: Reduce across selected areas

Free trade: Strongly Support.

Funding of the space program: Strongly Support. We need to discover.

Foreign policy

General philosophy: Humanitarian Hawk

Iraq: Support. Now waning due to anger at the excrement that poured from Blairs mouth. But we need to stay in now we are there.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2006, 07:12:36 PM »

Social Issues

General philosophy: Not really sure if I have one. See if you can spot one for me.

Separation of church and state: That depends what you mean by "seperation"; I support disestablishing the Church of England, but I don't support going as far down that road as the U.S has.

I also support the "Keep Sunday Special" campaign, but that links into other areas (not all Religious ones at that).

Freedom of speech: I support this, up to a point at least. I also support certain incitement laws.

Right to an abortion: I do not support a right to an abortion. I do think that it should be legal early on in the pregnancy (although I'm never sure where to draw the line), but I also think that other restrictions than time are needed; especially as far as genetic disorders go. Don't like abortions for those. At all. I find eugenics and so on to be utterly disgusting... and I could happily rant away about that for hours.
I also do not think that, if there is an illegal abortion, that the woman should be prosecuted.

Affirmative action: It really depends whether it is needed or not. Outright discrimination (ie; quota's, AWS and so on) I'm opposed to, though.

Gun rights: Beyond certain basic standards, this is essentially a cultural thing. What works in Birmingham, Warwickshire, may not work in Birmingham, Alabama. And vice versa.

Civil unions or gay marriage: I support civil unions/partnerships/call 'em what tha' will.

Euthanasia: Oppose in principle. The edges of the issue are more complicated.

Prostitution: Tolerate (but do not actually legalise) certain brothels, but crack down on street prostitution. Big jail terms for pimps.

Capital punishment: Strongly oppose; the State should not kill.

Economic Issues

General philosophy: Socialism (of various old fashioned strands)

Employers and Employees: Strong supporter of Trade Unions and the rights of their members (ie; while I think it should be illegal to fire workers on strike, I also think that all strikes should be balloted. And so on and so forth). I dislike state paternalism (which I think weakens all sides) and over-tight labour regulations (it is the role of Unions to protect their members. And they do a much better job than anyone else would) and support things like ACAS.

Taxation: I support taxation as a way to raise money to redistribute (hey, there's nowt wrong with a little honesty). I do not support using taxes to redistribute; it just don't work, and you end up with less money to do serious redistribution.
I support a progressive/whateveryeshallcallit income tax, but am open to the idea that people that do white collar jobs should be taxed at a higher rate than people who do skilled trades/engineering/healthcare/etc jobs.
I can't say that I especially care whether taxes are high or low; the important thing is to raise money without causing damage to the economy.

Spending: I strongly support useful spending, but equally strongly oppose useless spending; the main thing is to redistribute as much as can be got away with, while making sure that public services are good. As such, waste (real waste) is the proverbial enemy.

Free trade: Support in principle and up to a point. I think we need to be fairer to all involved though (so no dumping sugar mountains on third world countries).

Funding of the space program: support

Foreign policy

General philosophy: Anti-Genocide

Iraq: Did not really support, did not really oppose, did not believe things said by either those in favour or opposed to it, did not like a lot of the people involved in the anti-war thing, did/do not like the hypocrisy, do not approve of the Post-War planning or lack of it, think that Rumsfeld should be fired (from a cannon), think the fact that Iraq has had elections is a very good thing, think it looks disturbingly like Northern Ireland in certain respects, think that both sides (ie; in the West) should try to be a little more honest (this is not hard) and so on and so forth.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2006, 10:58:02 AM »

Social Issues

General philosophy: Liberal

Freedom of speech: Support.  Flag burning should be legal.  Fred Phelps' sh**t should not be.

Right to an abortion: First trimester legal.  Second, leave to the states.  Third trimester illegal.

Affirmative action: Oppose, but I don't have an objective eye since I've been personally harmed by it.  Slave reparations are a better solution, I think.

Gun rights: I support gun rights for hunting, sport shooting, etc.  I also support common sense things like trigger locks, background checks, waiting periods, bans on cop-killer bullets, and restriction of firearms that have no purpose but to kill someone with.

Civil unions or gay marriage: Gay marriage.  An acceptable compromise would be repeal DOMA, but let each state decide whether to have gay marriage performed in itself--a backhanded way of gay marriage everywhere, I guess.

Euthanasia: Unsure

Prostitution: Should be illegal, but let each local area decide for itself

Capital punishment: Strongly Oppose

Economic Issues

General philosophy: Liberal

Employers and Employees: Employers can hire whoever they want.

Taxation: Reduce for middle and low class, raise for the rich.

Spending: Increase spending in education and social programs

Free trade: Not sure.  Not at expert, or even a novice on the issue.

Funding of the space program: Dramatically increase.  Perhaps the most important thing we do.

Foreign policy

General philosophy: Dove

Iraq: Withdraw
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #93 on: August 11, 2006, 10:41:29 AM »

Overall Beliefs: Hardcore Conservative

Seperation of Church and State: While the federal government shouldn't support one religion in particular, activist judges shouldn't be able to rid society of religion (ex. nativity scenes, 10 commandment postings)

Freedom of Speech: While people have a free speech rights, things such as flag burning that so disrespect for the country on a whole should not be allowed.  Any speech that poses an imminent threat (death threats, flag burning) should not be allowed.

Abortion: Do people not realize that the fetus will grow into a person?  Adoption is the option, not murder.  Doctors and patients who conspire on abortions should be charged w/felony convictions

Affirmative Action: Why should this generation suffer for something another generation did?  The most qualified people deserve what they get, you shouldn't get an advantage b/c of race, when it boils down to it its racism.

Guns: Guns don't kill people, abortion clinics do!  Every America deserves the right to own a gun if they don't have a prior felony.  The bad guys are gonna get the guns, shouldn't the good guys stand a fighting chance?  And hunting controls overpopulation which will lead to more problems.

Gay Marriage: Absolutley NO!  Marriage has been between a man and woman since the beginning of time.  The point is stopping gay marriage is not as much that's it gay marriage, it's that it opens the door to polygamy and people marrying animals.  Marriage is fine as it is now and should not be changed because of radical judges.  America must keep some morals.

Euthanasia: Again, MURDER.  Only God can decide when life should begin and end, doctors should stop playing God.

Capital Punishment: Support, you might say I'm hypocritical, but it is killing an evil human, not an innocent child or sickly person.

Economic

General: Conservative

Employers and Employees: Same as affirmative action, hire the most qualified person, not by skin color or gender, again racism

Taxiation: Breaks for all people, no one should be paying more so that people, like illegal immigrants with legal relatives can live off you.  Why should I pay because people mess up their lives, did I mess it up?  And how do you expect those people to get jobs if employers are paying such high taxes?  Give the employers more money they can give more jobs and money to the poor.

Spending: Cut spending, completly delete the welfare system and abolish teacher's unions.  Pay them for what they work, half the year, not full year salaries because the union bosses told you to.

Unions:  The most harmful thing to America other than the ACLU

Free Trade:  Allow it

Space: Don't we have enough problems on Earth?

Foreign Policy

Overall: Hawk

Iraq: Stay the course and make sure at the end of the day Democracy reigns in the middle east

I'm going to add some more, people can add these to their beliefs:

Energy: We need to develop alternative fuels, but for the meantime we need to drill in ANWR

Health Care:  I shouldn't be the people's responsibility to pay for other's people's health insurance.

Immigration:  Border fence, mass deportation of illegals and felony convictions for hiring them

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #94 on: August 11, 2006, 11:18:25 AM »

^^^^^My kind of rightie!
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #95 on: August 11, 2006, 11:57:40 AM »

Social Issues

General philosophy: Hard-Core Liberal

Separation of church and state: Strongly Support

Freedom of speech: Strongly Support.

Right to an abortion: First trimester legal.  Second, using Bush doctrine (rape, incest, save mother's life). Third, save mother's life.

Affirmative action: Support.

Gun rights: Very limited.  Ban semi and automatic weaponry.  Strong checks on handgun possession and strict penalties who illegally possess guns. 

Civil unions or gay marriage: Gay marriage, of course.

Euthanasia: Strongly support.  People have the right to die.

Prostitution: I am open to a restricted legal industry.

Capital punishment: Strongly Oppose.  It still is murder, plain and simple.  The state should be chraged with murder.

Economic Issues

General philosophy: Leftist

Employers and Employees: Private employers should not discriminate based on race, gender, or other factors.

Taxation: Reduce for middle and low class, raise for the rich.

Spending: Increase spending in education and social programs, sharply decrease defense spending.

Free trade: Support only with countries that have labor laws upt to par with our own.

Funding of the space program: Decrease a little.  Focus only on possibilities of other planet inhabitation.

Foreign policy

General philosophy: Liberal-Focus on diplomacy and international forums

Iraq: Phased withdrawl.  There is nothing we can do except wrosen the crisis.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Energy-Boost train industry and other mass public transportation indutries (through funding to increase the numbe rof routes and vehicles).  Hike gas taxes to boost revenue and get people to start using mass transport so that gas consumption severly decreases.  Never drill in ANWR-it will lead little gas and a lot of environmental destruction

Health Care-Universal.  It is every person's responsibility to help those less fortunate in their society.  At the very least, control insurance companies profits since private insurance companies are horrifically corrupt and greedy.

Immigration-Sharply decrease immigration regulations.  Amnesty for illegals.  Completely abolish quotas.  Harsh penalties for failure to pay taxes for new immigrants.
[/quote]
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #96 on: August 11, 2006, 01:09:11 PM »

Overall Beliefs: Moderate Libertarian

Social

General:  Moderate Liberal

Seperation of Church and State: There should be no state-sponsored religion.  I'm opposed to displays of religious symbols on public buildings and teacher-led school prayer.

Freedom of Speech: Strongly support.  Flag burning should be legal.  Fred Phelps should be a free man.  Oppose only in cases of imminent danger.

Abortion: Abortion is murder, so strongly oppose in all cases except to save the mother's life.

Affirmative Action: Favor LIMITED affirmative action, race, geographic and socio-economically based in undergraduate college admissions.  America's top colleges shouldn't look a Connecticut country club.

Guns: Gun control should be dealt with on a state or local level.  Maryland and Montana don't need the same laws.

Gay Marriage:  There's no reason why two people in love should not be able to marry.  As Kinky Friedman would say, "Let them be miserable with the rest of us.

Euthanasia: Should be legal, both on one's own and physican-assisted.

Capital Punishment: Strongly oppose, but support life sentences in harsh prisons.

Wiretapping/PATRIOT Act:  Support to prevent another 9/11 from occuring.

Economic

General: Moderate Conservative

Employers and Employees: Employers and employees should be free to apply, hire, fire and quit at will.

Taxiation: Cut taxes on small business and the lower tax brackets.  All other income taxes are fine for the time being.  Also keep the estate tax until the national debt is paid off.

Spending: Eliminate wasteful pork and bureaucracy.  Refund (at least partially) all social security payments.  Abolish Medicare and expand Medicaid to include more senior citizens.

Unions:  Support the right to unionize but some unions are too strong (auto workers).

Free Trade:  Should be followed except in cases of egregious human rights abuses or where the effects would be drastically negative for the American economy.

Space: Keep exploring.

Energy:  Work to achieve energy independence as quickly as possible by addressing both supply and demand issues.  Better fund mass transportation and explore alternative fuels.  Oppose any ANWR drilling.

Foreign Policy

Overall: Moderate

Iraq: It was a mistake to invade in 2003 and drain our resources from fighting real threats (Iran, North Korea, Syria).  However, it would be foolish to withdraw now and let the country fall into Civil War and chaos and make Iraq a training ground for terrorists.

Immigration:  Illegal immigrants for the most part are just coming to America to make a better life for themselves and their families that Mexico cannot provide for them.  Strengthen border security to keep the criminals, human traffickers and drug lords out, but let law-abiding immigrants into this country and treat them as people and let them go on a path towards citizenship.

Other Middle East:  Hezbollah, other terror groups in the region-and their backers, Iran and Syria need to be stopped by all means possible to let democracy flourish in the area.  Hopefully, the UN will support action because the US military is unable to help presently due to being tied down in Iraq.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #97 on: August 11, 2006, 01:20:56 PM »

I think I'll update this as well (topics are from beginning of thread):

Social Issues

General philosophy: Lean Conservative

Abortion: Strongly oppose in all cirumstances.

Separation of Church and State: There should not be an established religion, however I don't support the total separation of church and state. A local city hall that has a nativity scene should be allowed to keep such a scene up.

Marriage: Oppose any changes to the definition of marriage as it stands today. Oppose FMA. Would consider civil unions for homosexual couples or government out of marriage altogether. Unsure on how to vote on VA constitutional amendment in November.

Affirmative Action: Oppose for the most part.

Gun Control: Oppose for the most part, support 2nd Amendment.

Death Penalty: Support keeping it legal but the death penalty should be administered in only the most serious of circumstances.

Censorship: Some restrictions on public TV/radio waves, little restriction on pay TV/radio. Support some filtering of the internet at public schools and libraries.

Flag burning: Opposed to a law/amendment to ban flag burning

Hate crimes: Opposed to hate crimes legislation.

Hate speech: Generally opposed to hate speech legislation, although if you get your a** kicked, it happens.

Smoking: Opposed to laws that restrict where and when a person can smoke. This is a decision to be left up to the owner and the consumer.

Alcohol consumption: Support lowering the age to 19.

Euthanasia: Oppose legalization of euthanasia.

Drugs: Oppose legalization in general, willing to accept legalization of marajuana but little else.

Gambling: Support its legalization.

Prostitution: Oppose its legalization.

Embryonic Stem Cell Research: Oppose for the most part, if someone makes a good argument I might change my mind.

Immigration: Support increasing the ease with which skilled and unskilled immigrants can enter the country, provided they have no criminal record. Those who enter illegally should be sent back.

Economic Issues

General Philosophy: Conservative for the most part

Taxes: Top rate should be about 35%. Make deficit cuts a priority before tax cuts right now.

Unions: Support right to work laws.

Free trade: Support in almost all circumstances.

Spending: Cut unnecessary/wasteful/pork-barrel spending, cut farm subsidies, cut Medicare drug benefit, reform Medicare and Medicaid as a whole before they get out of hand. Wouldn't mind starting the whole budgetary process from scratch to be honest.

Social Security: Support some privatization measures.

Workers' Rights: Oppose the government telling business who they can and can not hire and fire. If you're fired for any reason other than poor performance, your employers will inevitably suffer and the market will give them what they deserve.

Space Program: Would support funding the thing if it was shown there was some use from the program.

Welfare: Temporary safety net in place for those that inevitably fall on hard times. Anyone receiving welfare should either be working or looking for a job.

Healthcare: Support basic healthcare for the young (i.e. those that can't help their financial situation), support some sort of healthcare "safety net" for the elderly and the poor, opposed to Medicare drug benefit, opposed to spending money on things like Viagra.

Education: Support vouchers for low-income students, support educational decisions made at the local level, not by some bureaucrat in D.C.

Foreign Issues

General Philosophy: #1 goal should be the protection of American citizens. However, U.S. should make efforts to assist other countries when it is feasible.

Democracy and Trade: Democracies that engage in economic trade rarely go to war with one another, would support efforts to make this a reality.

Anti (fill in the blank) Treaty: Support for chemical/biological, oppose for nuclear

United Nations: Reform, don't leave the United Nations. U.N. is a fairly inefficient body as well.

Iraq: Support then, support now. Don't leave until the job is 100% complete.

Israel: Strong supporter of Israel.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #98 on: August 11, 2006, 01:51:34 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2006, 02:15:46 PM by Josh22 »

Social Issues

General philosophy: Conservative

Separation of church and state: Oppose

Freedom of speech: Strongly Support.

Right to an abortion: I only support it in cases of rape and life and death cases.

Affirmative action: Strongly Oppose.

Gun rights: Oppose, we have the right to have guns, but I think we should have better systems to check backgrounds on the people who are bying them. 

Civil unions or gay marriage: Strongly Oppose on gay marriage, unsure on Civil unions.

Euthanasia: What ever.

Prostitution: Strongly Oppose.

Capital punishment: Strongly Support. 

Economic Issues

General philosophy: Leftist

Employers and Employees: Private employers should not discriminate based on race, gender, or other factors.

Taxation: Reduce for middle and low class, keep or raise for the rich.

Spending: Increase spending in education and social programs and education spending.

Free trade: Support only with countries that have labor laws up to par with our own. (Has human rights laws)

Funding of the space program: Keep the same.

Foreign policy

General philosophy: Central

Iraq: Stay in as long as need, but decrease the amount of soliders there.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Energy- Start look for other sources then oil.

Health Care- The Government should only help those who can't afford it.

Immigration-Sharply decrease the number immigration. They are taking our jobs and living off our tax payers.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2006, 02:07:40 PM »

Social Issues

General philosophy: Strong Conservative

Abortion: Strongly oppose in all cirumstances.

Separation of Church and State: I don't see anything wrong with religious displays by the government, as long as Congress doesn't attempt to influence how or what people worship. State governments should be free to establish or promote religion.

Marriage: I'd support the Federal Marriage Amendment, though I'm not very hostile to civil unions, as long as adoption rights are removed from the equation.

Affirmative Action: Oppose race based. I can see a reason for socio-economic based AA.

Gun Control: I support a nationwide gun registry with significant background checks, but I oppose trigger locks and limitations on what types of weapons can be owned; i.e. anything above an automatic weapon should remain banned, but I have no problem with automatic weapons that are registered. Major penalties for gun related crimes however.

Death Penalty: I'm morally opposed, but I can support keeping it legal as long as DNA evidence is a must.

Censorship: I support restricting objectionable content from non-pay radio and TV stations. Libraries and other government agencies should be allowed to enact strict filtering policies.

Flag burning: Strongly supportive of a flag burning amendment.

Hate crimes: Opposed to hate crimes legislation.

Hate speech: Opposed to hate speech legislation.

Smoking: I support public smoking bans; i.e. on the streets, subways, sidewalks, etc. Private property bans should be up to the owner.

Alcohol consumption: Support lowering the age to 19 and drastically increasing penalties for driving under the influence.

Euthanasia: Oppose legalization of euthanasia.

Drugs: I support the decriminalization of the use of marijuana, though the sale of marijuana should remain illegal.

Gambling: Support its legalization and oppose separate rights for Indian casinos.

Prostitution: Oppose its legalization.

Embryonic Stem Cell Research: Oppose embryonic stem cell research, and federal funding for it.

Immigration: Support opening our borders to more immigrants with a zero tolerance policy once they are here. Illegal immigrants should be eligible to become legal residents in exchange for a special tax payable over a certain period. No services should be provided to illegal aliens.

Economic Issues

General Philosophy: Moderate, though all over the board mostly.

Taxes: Taxes should be shouldered by all members of society, and I generally support to removal of capital gains taxes and an expansion of the income tax. Lower income workers should gain additional exemptions.

Unions: Oppose anything giving unions legal rights at all. Support expanding employer's right to fire employees without cause.

Free trade: Support in almost all circumstances. Should not be connected with anything but our economic benefit.

Spending: Deficits are fine for pressing reasons; i.e. war, recession, etc, but I oppose wasteful domestic spending or congressional pet projects. President should have a line item veto.

Social Security: Oppose privatization, and I think it should be turned into a low income retirement scheme.

Workers' Rights: Employment should come with a contract detailing salary, benefits, expected work, and conditions under which termination of employment can occur. The contract should be followed. I oppose laws blocking firing employees based on non-work related reasons.

Space Program: I support a level of space spending that allows the US to maintain or military and civilian satellite net. I support basing weapons in space.

Welfare: Support generally, though benefits should be tied to attempting to better your position through education or work experience. Abuses should be punished harshly.

Healthcare: US health care needs a top-bottom reform, as it's clear that our mixed public-private system with intense regulation is not successful in the least. I oppose universal health care being instituted as a band-aid program over our current system. Support strict limits on medical malpractice cases.

Education: Federal government's role should be as the funder of education. All decisions on school management and curriculum should be made at the school district level. Vouchers should be an option for all students.

Foreign Issues

General Philosophy: Promotion of US interests in the world. "Realist"

Democracy and Trade: Trade should not be dependent on democracy, civil rights, or political freedoms.

Anti (fill in the blank) Treaty: Oppose nuclear weapons bans and space weapons bans.

United Nations: Support the removal of Security Council veto powers as a start.

Iraq: Rebuild the country and attempt to introduce democratic reforms where possible.

Israel: Give Israel a blank check to "reform" the Middle East.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 63  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies