Summary of political beliefs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:16:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 63
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 558093 times)
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: April 28, 2009, 12:10:40 PM »

Social Issues

Abortion: I reject the idea of abortion on demand, and I would strongly support a ban. The only case in which it should be allowed is when it is necessary to save the life of the mother.
Separation of church and state: A nonsense term that liberals use to censor religion. While I do believe in freedom of religion, and oppose the idea of a national religion, liberals are going too far here.

Affirmative action: A euphemism for discrimination (no "reverse discrimination" nonsense), end it.
Hate crimes: Nonsense legislation, get rid of it. (Neutral)
Gun control: I reject it, the second amendment is not negotiable. It grants us the right to own firearms, and I oppose increases on firearm/ammunition taxation that try to chip away at that right.
Death penalty: Keep it as a sentencing option.
Flag burning: Strongly oppose.
Euthanasia: I would strongly support a ban.
Prostitution: Must not be legalized in any way.

Immigration: Maintain immigration while enforcing against those here illegally and who have no intention to apply for legal immigration.

Economic Issues

Taxes: Lower, flatter taxes across the board. Reduce as much as possible for everyone.
Trade: Generally support free trade.
Spending: Reduce it as much as possible.
Welfare: When discussing welfare, we should remember this quote: "Welfare's purpose should be to eliminate, as far as possible, the need for its own existence".
Education: The public school system is a disaster, and that has nothing to do with money or the lack thereof. I am against mandatory public school attendance, and I support private schools (school vouchers included) and homeschooling.
Regulations: Significantly reduce. (Mixed)

Foreign Policy

Military Involvement: We must have a strong military to defend ourselves and fight the war on terrorism, and we should never put military action off the table.
United Nations: Negative opinion, but withdrawing is pointless.
Israel: Strongly support.
Foreign aid: Reduce it.

We agree more often than you would think.

Indeed, and I am pleasantly surprised.
Deldem
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -7.74

« Reply #226 on: May 06, 2009, 05:25:57 PM »

Social Issues
Abortion: Minor restrictions, though still pretty much universal access. Also, huge stem cell research grants.
Separation of church and state: Total. I even want Under God out of the pledge.
Affirmative action: I would like to see it switch to economics. A wealthy minority has a level playing field with a wealthy white.
Gun control: Reasonable restraints- safety locks, waiting periods, no armor piercing bullets. I believe assault weapons should have some restrictions.
Death penalty: Absolutely not. Put 'em in a 6x6 cell their whole life.
Flag burning: Offends me, but I feel it is legal.
Euthanasia: Yes, there's a point where people in pain have a right to end it.
Gay Marriage: Absolutely- it is a civil right.
Prostitution: Legalize it and tax/regulate it.
Immigration: No fence, increase immigrants allowed in, aid Mexico so we don't get as many illegals.
Drugs: Marijuana should be legalized, and taxed like crazy. It also should be a widely available medicine.
More Civil Liberties: destroy the patriot act. It reads like something from the McCarthy era.

Economic Issues
Taxes: Current system, with increase in taxes for wealthy, decrease for middle and working classes. Lower sales tax if possible. Keep estate tax, though perhaps raise the minimum threshold for paying it. Corporate tax should be restored to Clinton levels. On a state level, Texas should create an income tax and lower property and sales taxes.
Health Care: Universal Health care is a must, unless we somehow can drastically lower costs privately.
Trade: End outsourcing, but free trade in a few cases.
Spending: Cut missile defense and other Cold War-era military expenditures that are obsolete. We do, however, need to increase counterterrrorism and raw manpower. Socially, review programs and reform the system to improve it.
Welfare: I support slightly expanding this system. My philosophy is a leg up, not a hand out or a kick down.
Education: Remove standardized testing, at least at the high school level, we have finals for this. National curriculum. Incentives for higher learning.
Regulations: Restore regulations that were removed in the last 30 years. Drastically increase environmental standards. Higher minimum wage.
Energy: Greatly increase alternative fuel. More nuclear power.
NASA: Greatly expand, there is a great value to research in space.
Transportation: Higher fuel economy. Push for subways and other mass transit modes.

Foreign Policy
Military Involvement: No preemptive wars. End Iraq, focus on Afghanistan.
Israel: 2 states desperately needed. Stop giving preference to Israel, they are just as bad as the Palestinians. This should be a top priority.
Cuba: Open 'er up! This is a missed opportunity.
North Korea/Iran: Open up a dialogue and see what we can do. It may not be ideal, but it's definitely better than what we've been doing.
impactreps
dcushmanjva
Rookie
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #227 on: May 12, 2009, 08:56:23 PM »

Social Issues

Abortion: I'm staunchly pro-life, but support exceptions when the mother's life is in danger.
Separation of church and state: Those words appear nowhere in the Constitution. I support freedom OF religion and not freedom FROM religion.
Gay marriage: Marriage should be between a man and a woman. I support civil unions and domestic partnerships, as well as gay adoption rights.
Affirmative action: Good intentions, but is just a less ugly form of discrimination.
Hate crimes: I honestly don't know much about this issue, but from what I do know I think the one of the government's few duties is to protect its citizens from violence, foreign or internal.
Gun control: Make the 2nd Amendment permanent.
Death penalty: Support it. Some crimes are so vile and ugly that the death penalty is justifiable in those cases.
Flag burning: I strongly oppose it personally, but whether or not it's a 1st Amendment right is questionable.
Euthanasia: I have no idea.
Prostitution: Devalues our society.
Immigration: I support legal immigration 100%. For illegal immigration: build a wall and let's call it a day.

Economic Issues

Taxes: Implement the FairTax ASAP. We will finally hear an end to tax codes that bias those at the top.
Trade: I believe free trade grows our economy.
Spending: Gov't. should spend only what is absolutely necessary. Cut spending for welfare (leads into next issue).
Welfare: If it must exist, make it more efficient. Government's job is not to provide for its citizens, but to protect its citizens.
Education: Support universal education, but I also believe that school choice should be paramount. Support getting rid of Dept. of Education.
Regulations: Don't regulate excessively, but make sure that a Madoff scandal doesn't happen again.

Foreign Policy

Military Involvement:
When we are 150% certain we are going to be attack, then attack first (not near-certainty or very likely). Peace through strength.
United Nations: Definite anti-American bias, but I also believe UN has done some good throughout the past 60 years (I'll give you some examples when I think of them).
Israel: I support Israel 1000%.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #228 on: May 14, 2009, 09:30:24 PM »
« Edited: January 09, 2010, 01:37:26 PM by Ebenezer Scrooge »

Social Issues

Abortion: Personally pro-life, but at the same time I don't believe it is the government's right or responsibility to legislate morality.

Gay Marriage: Support fully. However, I believe it will be quicker, easier, and more in line with the constitution to leave it up to the states. Look at the wave of gay marriage legalization.

Flag Burning: Why is this even an issues? Should be legal.

Illegal Drugs: Legalize and regulate marijuana, keep rest illegal but focus more on rehabilitation than punishment.

Stem Cell Research: Again, don't legislate morality. It should be legal and receive some government funds.

Patriot Act: Unconstitutional, repeal it.

State's Rights: State's Rights have been violated. The federal government should respect them and know it's place. Don't bribe or blackmail states or their Senators

Gun Control: Background checks are fine as are assault weapons bans. Respect the 2nd amendment however.

Prayer in Public Schools: Oppose.

Affirmative Action: Oppose, prosecute discrimination by corporations.

Electoral College: Support.

Draft: Oppose except in the most dire of circumstances.

Death Penalty: Oppose.

Three Strikes Laws: Oppose.

Foreign Policy

Iraq: Oppose. Occupying another country is a bad idea.

Afghanistan: Would have opposed had I been old enough to care about politics at the time. That said, we have no choice but to follow through on our current course.

War on Terror: Focus on intelligence and targeted strikes against terrorist leaders instead of the occupation of foreign nations.

Diplomacy: Always preferable to war.

Israel: US should remain neutral in the Israeli-Palistinian Conflict, but protect Israel if attack by a foreign country.

Torture: Stop immediately. Don't prosecute people or release photos however.

Interventionism: Oppose, unless we're certain we will be attacked unless we intervene in another countries affairs.

Fiscal/Economic Policy

Health Care: Reform and modernization is needed. Oppose all forms of government sponsored health care including medicare and medicaid. First of all, it is a states responsibility, and second, they simply cost too much money. Deregulate, but be careful about said deregulation.

Social Security: Repeal. Replace with 401k's and possibly retirement savings accounts.

Taxes: Ideally there would be a flat tax, but the poor and middle class deserve preference when taxes are lowered if a flat tax cannot be legislated at the time. When raised, responsibility should be evenly shared.

Education: I believe that our education system is fine in terms of quality. The so called "failing public schools" don't exist outside of the inner city and very rural areas. Studies done by groups not affiliated with the US show that we are usually in the top 5 (would cite but too lazy). It's simply government propaganda. Another thing to consider is most countries have high stakes tests in middle school to determine whether you go on to high school or a trade school. If only the top 1/3 of students in Germany (don't know the real statistic, this is just for argument's sake) are compared against all US students, who do you think will do better? Why do we have one of the highest per capita college graduation rate in the world if our k-12 schools are so bad? That said, charter schools, merit based pay, and taking on the teachers union would all help.

Department of Education: Keep states accountable, but other than that remove it.

Infrastructure: Must be kept well funded and maintained. Outsource to the private sector when appropriate. State responsibility for the most part.

Environment: Support protections

Cap-and-Trade: Support, but must be more market friendly than current proposals are. More of a state responsibility, though federal government can have a role.

Public Finance: Support to an extent, but don't limit free speech in the process.

General Business Regulation: I go case by case, though I usually oppose. Deregulation in some areas.

Ballot Access: Remove stupid ballot access laws that hinder independent and third party candidates.

Debate Access: Allow any candidate in a presidential election in debate if they consistently poll over 5% nationally.

Trade: Free trade to an extent, remove tax breaks to corporations who send jobs over seas.

Illegal Immigration: Didn't know where to put this. Anyway, support guest worker program, oppose amnesty.

Deficit: Support balanced budget amendment.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #229 on: May 15, 2009, 07:04:55 AM »

We need more people like you.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #230 on: May 15, 2009, 07:17:05 AM »

Indeed, that's a very sensible and reasonable set of views.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #231 on: May 15, 2009, 12:19:53 PM »

Abortion: Personally pro-life, but at the same time I don't believe it is the states right or responsibility to legislate morality.

Gay Marriage: Support fully. However, I believe it will be quicker, easier, and more in line with the constitution to leave it up to the states. Look at the wave of gay marriage legalization.

Am I the only one here that notices the obvious contradiction there?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Leaving it to the states is a terrible idea. We've done things like that with certain expenditures in the past and Canada also dumps alot of it's healthcare spending onto the provinces. It always turns out bad because states (or provinces) don't have the ability to bring in revenue like the federal government, and a lot of states are constrained by balanced budget amendments. This either forces states to go into debt or cut other useful services that ends up having negative consequences.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #232 on: May 15, 2009, 03:45:47 PM »

I have zero interest in states rights. In a perfect world, the states would be dissolved perhaps, and we would just have the feds and local governments.

In any event, my point of view is that you use the states to experiment, find what works and doesn't and nationalize what works with federal legislation, superseding state experiments gone bad, and then over time, as things ossify, you start going local again with experiments and repeat the cycle. It is a paradigm of continual centralization and then decentralization, and back again, almost like a beating heart. Without a beating heart, you tend to have a rather sluggish corpus.  Corporations do the same thing, for the same reason.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #233 on: May 15, 2009, 05:27:20 PM »

Abortion: Personally pro-life, but at the same time I don't believe it is the states right or responsibility to legislate morality.

Am I the only one here that notices the obvious contradiction there?

Individual rights are, in my opinion, a federal issue. Now, I believe that ideally gay marriage would be legalized at the federal level, but I just don't see that happening in the current political climate. When I said "...state's right or responsibility to legislate morality," I used state in referencing individual states as well as the country as a whole. Remember, state and country are synonymous in certain contexts.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Leaving it to the states is a terrible idea. We've done things like that with certain expenditures in the past and Canada also dumps alot of it's healthcare spending onto the provinces. It always turns out bad because states (or provinces) don't have the ability to bring in revenue like the federal government, and a lot of states are constrained by balanced budget amendments. This either forces states to go into debt or cut other useful services that ends up having negative consequences.
[/quote]

Well, I'm not saying that the federal government doesn't have a role in (hopefully minimal) regulation, but that if a safety net must exist it should be a state responsibility. By the way, the federal government should have a balanced budget amendment like states do (obviously if enough members of congress vote to have a deficit for justifiable reasons, then they should be able to). Also, the federal government shouldn't force states to pay for certain programs (if that's what Canada does, I don't have much knowledge of their politics), that is a direct violation (at least in my opinion) of state's rights.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #234 on: May 30, 2009, 11:41:22 PM »

Social Issues

Abortion:I am strongly pro-choice.
Separation of church and state: Religion and Government must not mix. If they do then it creates Fascism. Legalize same-sex marriage and same-sex adoption.
Affirmative action: Support it, and would increase it to prevent discrimination aganist minority groups.
Hate crimes: It helps to tackle racism, homophobia, sexism, etc. Support it.
Gun control: I would ban them all, guns are not needed, there are other ways to protect yourself. Only the police and the military should be allowed to own guns.
Death penalty: Abolish it, totally cruel and unneeded. There's something call prisons where criminals should go.
Flag burning: Everyone has the right to free speech.
Euthanasia: The government should have no say in when people can or can not die. I support the legalization of it.
Prostitution:I find it quite disgusting, but everyone should have a right to ruin thier lives or enjoy thier lives or whatever.
Immigration: I would make immigration easier, and would grant amnesty to illegal immigrants.

Economic Issues

Taxes: Raise taxes on the rich and upper middle class, decrease them slightly for everyone else.
Trade: Support protectionism to prevent jobs from moving from country to country.
Spending: Decrease defense spending, increase spending on the needed social programs.
Welfare: Welfare keeps society more fair, and i support increasing funding for Social Security.
Education: The public school system needs more funding, and i support increasing teacher's wages.
Regulations: Increase regulations to prevent abuse of workers.

Foreign Policy

Military Involvement: We should bring all our troops home from Iraq and Afghanistan as soon as possible.
United Nations: Support it, it helps create more peace in the world.
Israel: Don't support it.
Foreign aid: Increase it for the countries that need it most.
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -8.00

« Reply #235 on: June 01, 2009, 05:18:11 AM »

My politics in a nutshell

Social Stances: Social liberal/libertarian

* Firm supporter of free speech, even if it does yield opinions on finds abhorrent.  Furthermore, I feel that flag burning, even if you do find is undesirable, should remain legal too on civil liberties grounds.
* Pro-Choice on Abortion, but I feel that steps need to be taken to keep it rare.
* Anti-Death Penalty, I feel that this form of punishment is an anachronism, not mention I find it rather unethical.
* Support complete separation of religion and state, religious institutes and the government should keep out of each other's affairs quite frankly.
*On immigration I feel that we all have the right to move around wherever we want on this planet, afterall in the end if other species of animal can, why not us humans?
* Fully support same-sex marriage, same-sex adoptions and any other initiative to put Lesbian, Gay & Bisexual people on the same level as heterosexuals.
* Prostitution, I feel that it would be better to legalise and regulate this activity on public health and safety grounds.

Economic stances: Left-wing, moderate socialist (sympathies), social-democrat

* I fully support progressive taxation and feel that those who earn more should and can afford to put a little bit more money back into society, whilst the lower earners should not have to pay more than they can feasibly do so.
* Healthcare, I feel, is a basic human right, not just some money making ploy.  Therefore, I feel that public healthcare should be free on delivery, paid for in taxes, but I have no objection to private hospitals being set up alongside the public facilities.
* Social security and welfare by its very design and intentions should be under government control (not privatised- that defeats the whole point then), and that it should be available for those who need it.  I support strict penalties on those who abuse the system, however.
* Public education needs as much government financial support as possible.  In the long run a well educated population is good for the economy.
* Military spending should preferably be kept as low as possible, without leaving a country with a shoddy defence system.  The extra money can be put into more worthwhile civilian projects.
* Utility services like water, gas and electricity should be government owned.  Private companies have no right to profit off other people's needs and necessities like this.  That, and there should be more government accountability for these things.
* Employers by law should recognise any legitimate and registered trade union, and that during (legal) strikes employees should be immune from being fired.  All trade unions must use secret ballot when making group decisions however.

Foreign policy stances: As yet un-summarised

* Getting troops out of Iraq is a must, in the meantime more assistance needs to be given to the troops in Afghanistan.
* Staying on the topic of Afghanistan, alongside the allied military presence, I feel that other non-military solutions to stabilising the country need some investment as well, ie, the establishment of decent utility and transportation infrastructure and more investment in education facilities for the place.
* Israel needs more foreign pressure from the USA and European nations to reign in its aggressive tendencies and its unfair treatment of the Palestinian people, who by rights own the land on which Israel lies.

If there's anything I find I've missed, I will amend this list to rectify those omissions.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #236 on: June 05, 2009, 01:01:17 PM »

Social Issues  : Far-right

Abortion : Pro-Life in all cases. I consider Abortion murder.

Gay Marrige : Againest it. But have nothing personal againest gays.

Flag Burning : Ban it. It's not a "Freedom of speech" you are BURNING A flag ,not SPEAKING your hate for America.

Free Speech : Support it

Drug War : Support it.

Affirmative Action : 100% Againest it. No reverse racism for me!!!

Illegal Immigration : Deport all illegals, close borders.

Guns : Pro-2nd Amendment. Support no restrictions on guns. SAY NO TO GUN CONTROL

Death Penalty  : Support it.

Assisted-Suicide : No. I'm against this. It's immoral and not the way people should die. Die a fighter not a quitter. Jack Kemp died a fighter.

Foreign Policy : Hawkish ,Far-right , in a liberal's words "A WARZZZ MOUNGERZZZZ LOL"

War on Terror : Support it 100% , let's end this bullsh**t once and for all. Enough is enough. Kill those Terrorists.

Israel : Pro-Israel 100000%. Support destroying Palestinians , Netanyahu-Fan!!!! Base my votes on people's position on Israel.

War on Iraq : Support it. We made it a better nation.

Iran : Invade ,kick their asses ,take their nukes. Kill their leaders. Smiley

North Korea : See Iran.

Defense : Raise spending. Build up military. FUnd our troops. Fight for more veteran rights.

PATRIOT Act : Support 100%.

Intervention : Pro-Intervention

Fiscal Issues : Moderate, Center-right

Taxes/ Tariffs : Hate taxes. Lower them as much as possible. Destroy gas ,income, estate, and inheritance tax.

Welfare : Get rid of it . NOW

Free trade : Mixed on it. Don't encourage it. Support penalizing Companies on it. Against making tariffs for it.

Union : Must Balance labor and economic needs. But support it ,but don't like it.

Spending : Against Pork Barrel spending, hate govt spending. But support defense spending.

Govt Intervention : Againest it. Mostly.

Freedom of speech : Support it.

Environment : It's a state issue ,but don't think it's a important issue, Global Warming is Bullsh**t.

Universal HillaryCare AKA Healthcare : I'm against this failed policy and this communist policy.

The Obama Stimulus : Againest it

Bush Bailouts : Againest

Obama Bailouts : Againest
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #237 on: June 05, 2009, 04:59:23 PM »

Everything else I kinda expected in some way shape or form, but this part sounds very dodgy to me...

I sincerely hope you're just over-exaggerating there.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #238 on: June 05, 2009, 08:26:50 PM »

Oh dear, more quantity.

And less quality.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #239 on: June 06, 2009, 12:42:38 AM »

Abortion: I don't like it, but Roe v. Wade  is the law of the land. Repealing the SCOTUS decision creates legal anarchy which is even worse.

Separation of church and state: Keep the churches out of the government and the government out of the churches so that both can have some independence and integrity.

Affirmative action: Necessary and appropriate as a correction in some places -- overblown issue. Nepotism is bigger.

Gun control: The "well-regulated militia" clause is often forgotten; that obviously excludes criminals, addicts, lunatics, illegal aliens, and others that one doesn't want as part of a "well-regulated militia"... other than that, firearms are much a part of American life.

Death penalty: Barbarous!

Flag burning: Does more harm to the reputations of those who burn Old Glory as a form of protest; better that a$$holes burn a flag than that a$$holes in government burn books that they don't want us to read.

Euthanasia: Dislike, but I can think of worse.

Gay Marriage: What's the problem?

Prostitution: The criminalization of prostitution causes more problems than it solves.l

Immigration: Fair wages for HB-1A... now!

Drugs: Legalize Marijuana but crack down on the rest.

Economic Issues

Taxes: I'd rather earn more money and pay more taxes -- wouldn't you?
Health Care: Too old not to care.
Trade: Our trading partners do not deserve blame for our own faults.
Spending: Eliminate or reform ineffective programs and cut military.
Welfare: Should be strictly a temporary safety net. Corporate welfare is a travesty.
Education: Let's have free (tax-paid) education for anyone who can reasonably derive benefit from it.
Regulations: Support antitrust/ monopoly regulations.

Foreign Policy

Military Involvement: Only if the President can live by an honor code.

Israel: Support right to exist.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #240 on: June 06, 2009, 04:43:46 AM »
« Edited: November 14, 2009, 10:34:50 PM by Mechaman »

Social issues: Immoral Antigovernment Libertine

Abortion: Prochoice
Immigration: Pro-Amnesty
Marriage: Get the government out of it completely. It shouldn't be you and me and the state of Nevada, it should be you and me and if permitting, about 5 other people. Everybody should be able to marry anyone or anything in multiples if they want to. Love makes people do crazy things, embrace it.
Flag Burning: Support it, especially if it's cold outside
Free Speech: Support completely and get rid of all censorship laws. This includes no fines on networks for bad language and "fair speech" laws.
War on Drugs: End it. We should be throwing in child molesters and wife beaters, not crackheads. Plus, legalize drugs to spur the snack vendor industry.
Affirmative Action: Endorses collective racism. Reinforces stereotype that some people are collectively stupider than another.
Gun control: Gun control is a backwards draconian statist policy. Why should I support something the KKK supported to disarm blacks in the late 1800s? The idea that we can still be free when only the coercive arms of government are armed is like saying the sheep would be safer sleeping with wolves.
Death Penalty: What? Being another dude's butt buddy for the rest of his life isn't enough? If I was a psycho serial killer I think I would rather go to prison for 3 months and then get injected over being butt humped for the next 50 years. That's why I'm against the death penalty, I think the threat of eternal butt rape is alot more of a deterent than "we'll friggin kill you!" Plus, if there are no death penalties it's impossible to accidently kill the wrong man. What the hell? I don't like the death penalty because it's wrong, alright?
Voluntary Euthanasia: Totally legalize it. If you want to kill yourself it's a voluntary action (there's my answer for suicide). If you want someone else to do it, sign a release waiver on your life and have the ender sign also with a third party witness to prove it's legit for this person to kill you.
Draft: Get rid of it, NOW.
Patriot Act, domestic spying, etc.: Get rid of it. The government has no right to be spying our phone lines. There is a correct way to do searches, it's called A WARRANT. All you have to do is fill out a friggin piece of paper to search somebody. Why is the government so lazy it can't even sign a piece of paper before searching somebody?
Stem Cell Research: We have to use those fetuses for something.....
States Rights: The power of the states should be a little more respected. For example, if a state passes drug legalization the federal government shouldn't overrule it.
Three Strikes Law: Against, what if the person in question commits three petty crimes? It's too excessive and broad.
Prostitution: Legalize, you know what they say: sex sells.
Separation of Church and State: Stop enforcing your fake god on us! It's called separation of church and state for a reason!! Stop bribing public officials to enforce your backwards social agenda! Now if you just want to preach in your churches or hell even have radio stations or tv stations, fine. Just don't have the government give you any special favors. For it is written "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibit the free exercise thereof."
Electoral College: I guess we should keep it, but needs reform.

Foreign Policy: Free Trade monger
War on Terror: Stop pissing people off and giving them a reason to kill us. Let the Mideast solve it's own problems.
Palestine: It's really none of our business what happens in Palestine. We should take a neutral role and have free trade relationships with both sides.
Israel: I hate to sound like an Israel hating bastard but we should let them be. They already got enough of our military technology to ward off full on invasions from 6 different fronts. And if they get wiped off the face of the planet by an Iranian nuke........sorry, shouldn't be our problem. Our support for Israel is what got us in hot water in the Middle East, maybe if we let everyone fight their own battles they won't have a reason to kill us. However, we should have a free trade relationship with them.
War in Iraq: Get out now and let them destroy themselves. Sadaam was a dick and the world may arguably be a better place with him gone but the people of Iraq need to grow their own balls and learn how to defend themselves without having us baby them.
Iran: Do you really think Iran would be stupid enough to nuke us? Epic fail. People forget about the concept of Mutually Assured Destruction so quickly. We should stop acting like dicks to them and start a mutual trade relationship with them. The more we trade with nations that don't like us the more they will like us because who doesn't like cable tv?
North Korea: Like I said, M.A.D. They're probably just freaked out because we're constantly threatening to kick their asses. THis isn't 1952, this is 2009. Things have changed. We should begin a mutual trade relationship with them like we should China which would do way more to destroy authoritarian communism than say an all out invasion that costs hundreds of billions of dollars a year.
9/11: Not real sure anymore. Could've been the government, could've actually been terrorists. What I do know is that it's gotten us into a lot of s#$t.
Afghanistan: Get the hell out and sign a free trade agreement.
Pakistan: Stop harrasing them and sign a free trade agreement.
Torture: Not necessary and not ethical. Can't we just bribe them? Who can't resist free cable?!
Diplomacy: Should always be the 1st step and always preferable to war.
Free Trade Agreement: If Diplomacy works, should always be the 2nd step.
Military involvement: Should require a damn good reason. Pre-emptive military action is not an option. President doesn't have authority to declare war, only Congress does. This option should be a VERY LAST RESORT.

Economic Issues: Capitalist Loving Bastard
Taxes: Eliminate the income tax. There are lots of other taxes out there to pay for stuff.
Welfare: Get rid of it, gradually. You don't need to be dependent on government, you've got friends and family who'll always be looking out for you..go to them when you're down on your luck. Also, there are charitable organizations that do exist that takes care of people down on their luck and two words: soup kitchen.
Trade: This protectionist Bulls*$t has got to end. The idea that by antagonizing our fellow trade partners with excessive tariffs and other economically nationalist ideas will somehow juice up our economy is insane. We benefit from trade with other nations, penaltilizing our trade partners is no way to get them to be more open to trading with us.
Health Care: Leave it up to each individual state to decide what kind of healthcare system they want.
Spending: Can the military budget, eliminate or reform ineffective programs.
Education: Start up a voucher program so kids not well off can get into private schools easier to help spurce competition between the schools to provide the best possible education for our nation's children. Keep public schools since competition with private schools for the most kids will encourage public school systems to become better at educating kids instead of teaching them how to pass year end exams that won't mean anything 10 years from now.
Regulations: Support environmental regulations (but not excessive), I don't want some company's toxic waste in my backyard. Kind of iffy on anti-trust and monopoly regulations.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #241 on: June 06, 2009, 07:38:33 AM »

Everything else I kinda expected in some way shape or form, but this part sounds very dodgy to me...

Not Over exaggerating. If they won't let my religion live in peace ,then they should either die or get a big ass-whooping.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #242 on: June 06, 2009, 07:39:29 AM »

Not Over exaggerating. If they won't let my religion live in peace ,then they should either die or get a big ass-whooping.

lol
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #243 on: June 06, 2009, 09:10:38 AM »

Somehow with most of them, I doubt that it's religion that's the main factor in why an awful of Palestinians aren't to accommodating towards Israel and its citizens, but more like the Palestinians see many Israelis as intruders on their land.  You must understand that in 1948 hundreds of thousands of Palestinians were displaced from their homes during the formation of Israel on the land previously knowns as Palestine.  Afterall, if you were forced out of your home by a bunch of strangers, wouldn't you be somewhat upset at that too?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #244 on: June 06, 2009, 09:15:09 AM »

Oh dear, oh dear.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #245 on: June 08, 2009, 03:59:22 PM »

Oh dear, oh dear.

That's how I roll.
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #246 on: June 09, 2009, 10:30:30 AM »

Oh dear, oh dear.

That's how I roll.

And it's very disturbing...
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #247 on: June 09, 2009, 11:27:05 AM »

Oh dear, oh dear.

That's how I roll.

Eh... he's 14. He'll outgrow his extremism as he matures (hopefully). When I was younger, I (regrettably) held some extreme views as well. I believe I once said we should kill every gay because they added nothing to society. I hate who I was.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #248 on: June 09, 2009, 11:38:27 AM »

Social Issues

General philosophy: Strongly Leftist

Abortion: Support legality, oppose use.
Separation of church and state: Support unconditionally. The day that an Atheist can be elected President will be a day to be long celebrated.
Marriage: Support gay marriage. I can accept civil unions in areas that will not accept full marriage yet.
Affirmative Action: Wronging people to make up for past wrongs is unacceptable. Do not infringe on the rights of businesses to engage in affirmative action practices.
Gun rights: It's a constitutional right. Limit gun ownership for convicts, though, as well as ownership of fully automatic weapons.
Death Penalty: Oppose.
Censorship: Not under any circumstance. Censorship is slavery.
Flag burning: Support of course. Non-violent political speech cannot be limited.
Hate crimes: Oppose. No one person should have greater protection under the law than another.
Hate speech: Oppose since it's unconstitutional.
Smoking: Public smoking is annoying, but it should be allowed by any free society anyway.
Alcohol consumption: Same as smoking.
Euthanasia: Support.
Drugs: Legalize all drugs.
Gambling: Completely legalize.
Prostitution: Legalize & regulate. Keep in brothels.
Embryonic Stem Cell Research: Support, though adult stem cells should be preferred given recent breakthroughs.
Immigration: Open borders. Get rid of illegals with a criminal record.
Civil Liberties: These cannot be compromised.
Language: Making English the official language is pointless.

Economic Issues

General Philosophy: Strongly Capitalist

Taxes: Combine with spending cuts to eliminate the deficit. Once the deficit has been eliminated or greatly reduced, cut as much as is possible while staying in the black.
Employers and Employees: No protection for strikers. If you can get fired any other time, you can get fired then too.
Free trade: Unconditionally support.
Spending: Vastly cut spending. Re-evaluate the role of the state.
Social Security: If people want to privately invest all of their earnings, it should be their right.
Space Program: Supporting science is necessary to remain a major power. Generally support.
Welfare: No welfare. Phase it out.
Healthcare: Support free-market solutions.
Education: Greatly reduce funding. Offer vouchers to attend accredited private schools.
Minimum Wage: Tie to inflation and forget about it. Leave it at a fairly low rate, so as to not inhibit business growth.
Regulation: Kill all regulations except for those prohibiting abusive business practices (mainly anti-trust/anti-monopoly). Devote the BBB's resources to warning consumers of dangerous business practices.
Infrastructure: Maintain current infrastructure. Do not waste money on expanding it.
Energy Policy: Favor coal, oil, & nuclear for the time being. Research viable renewable resources.

Foreign Issues

General Philosophy: Diplomatic

Democracy and Trade: Trade is good. Seek free trade with all other liberal democracies.
United Nations: Stay in the UN. Do not acquiesce to unreasonable demands, however.
Iraq: Oppose.
Iran: They are no threat. Ignore them.
North Korea: Use deterrance-based tactics. Work together with China to dissuade them from further agressive behavior.
Israel: Don't support them so strongly. We are endangering ourselves.
Military Involvement: Talk softly and carry a big stick. Attack only if attacked, but be ready to demolish any enemy.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #249 on: June 09, 2009, 11:39:29 AM »

Oh dear, oh dear.

That's how I roll.

Eh... he's 14. He'll outgrow his extremism as he matures (hopefully). When I was younger, I (regrettably) held some extreme views as well. I believe I once said we should kill every gay because they added nothing to society. I hate who I was.

You too? I once said that homosexuality was going to be the end of western society.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 63  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies