Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 25, 2017, 04:58:02 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Individual Politics (Moderators: Alcon, Torie, AndrewTX)
| | |-+  Summary of political beliefs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 Print
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 304230 times)
Goldwater
Republitarian
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

View Profile
« Reply #1200 on: January 31, 2017, 02:12:30 pm »
Ignore

Rather than list every specific issue, I will try to describe my views in general terms of how I tihnk:

Economics: Pro-trade, pro-competition, anti-monopoly. This generally leads me to right wing economic conclusions, such as thinking taxes should be as low as feasibly possible, though not always. For example, I am strongly opposed to "corporate welfare" (such as farm subsidies), because allowing businesses to fail is one of the essential parts to making free market competition work, but I do think the government should provide a social safety net and that the public sector should be involved in the few areas where competition doesn't work,  such as police and (more controversially) healthcare.

Social issues: Basically the standard libertarian spiel about how people should be allowed to do things that don't violate the rights of others, with the caveat that I have no qualms about punishing people who do violate the rights of others to the fullest extent of the law. I'm also generally supportive of the policies and the military, seeing these institutions as being necessary to protect and enforce people's rights and liberties, both domestically and abroad. This combination of views is what leads to the weird quark of me generally being libertarian on social issues, while also being "hawkish" and supportive of things like the death penalty.

Foreign policy: To but quite simply, globalization. I think that free trade, liberal immigration laws, and global cooperation are all net positives that we should strive for whenever possible. While I am not necessarily an "abolish all borders" extremist, since that frankly seems unworkable to me, I do think we should try to become more globally integrated, not less, and that while it's obviously not possible to solve all the world's problems, we can't just turn a blind eye to  suffering and tyranny in other countries either. I am strongly against pulling out of organizations like NATO and UN and think that, despite their flaws, we are better off with them than without them, and I am frankly very concerned about the nationalism and anti-globalization trends that are happening to recently, to the point that I am almost becoming a single issue voter.

Overall: I don't know what to call this fricking mess of an ideology or philosophy or whatever, do you? Tongue

The result of a neocon and libertarian having a baby while drunk, and leaving it to be raised by hippie liberal wolves.
Here is my attempt and explaining my own confusing and contradictory views
Devout Centrist
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.45, S: -10.00

View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: January 31, 2017, 05:49:10 pm »
Ignore

Rather than list every specific issue, I will try to describe my views in general terms of how I tihnk:

Economics: Pro-trade, pro-competition, anti-monopoly. This generally leads me to right wing economic conclusions, such as thinking taxes should be as low as feasibly possible, though not always. For example, I am strongly opposed to "corporate welfare" (such as farm subsidies), because allowing businesses to fail is one of the essential parts to making free market competition work, but I do think the government should provide a social safety net and that the public sector should be involved in the few areas where competition doesn't work,  such as police and (more controversially) healthcare.

Social issues: Basically the standard libertarian spiel about how people should be allowed to do things that don't violate the rights of others, with the caveat that I have no qualms about punishing people who do violate the rights of others to the fullest extent of the law. I'm also generally supportive of the policies and the military, seeing these institutions as being necessary to protect and enforce people's rights and liberties, both domestically and abroad. This combination of views is what leads to the weird quark of me generally being libertarian on social issues, while also being "hawkish" and supportive of things like the death penalty.

Foreign policy: To but quite simply, globalization. I think that free trade, liberal immigration laws, and global cooperation are all net positives that we should strive for whenever possible. While I am not necessarily an "abolish all borders" extremist, since that frankly seems unworkable to me, I do think we should try to become more globally integrated, not less, and that while it's obviously not possible to solve all the world's problems, we can't just turn a blind eye to  suffering and tyranny in other countries either. I am strongly against pulling out of organizations like NATO and UN and think that, despite their flaws, we are better off with them than without them, and I am frankly very concerned about the nationalism and anti-globalization trends that are happening to recently, to the point that I am almost becoming a single issue voter.

Overall: I don't know what to call this fricking mess of an ideology or philosophy or whatever, do you? Tongue
These are largely my positions, with perhaps a bit more lean towards the center on economics. I have problems with the Libertarians exhorting the benefits of the Fair tax, something I despise.

On the whole, though, this sounds exactly like me.

You are so partial that your opinion is worth little.
Frodo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: February 12, 2017, 06:17:00 pm »
Ignore

Democracy-Related Issues

Constitutional Reform: While keeping the federal system of government, I support completely rewriting the Constitution such that there would be a unicameral parliament with mixed-member proportional representation with a 5% electoral threshold, and relegating the Presidency (like the Governor-General in British Commonwealth countries) to a mainly ceremonial position.  

I also support incorporating the original ten amendments of the Bill of Rights, as well as including additional amendments explicitly guaranteeing the right to vote and equal rights, while strongly encouraging the various states to adopt automatic, universal voter registration.

Second Amendment: The Second Amendment was intended to be seen as protecting an individual right as with all the other original ten amendments that comprised the Bill of Rights when it was added to the Constitution.  When it was originally written, 'militia' connoted the entirety of the citizenry, not just a government-created body.  

Accordingly, I support concealed-carry, castle-doctrine laws, and other liberalizing measures. I strongly oppose gun-bans at any governmental level.  However, as with every other amendment, there are limits.

With greater freedom comes greater responsibility in using that freedom, and it is in that spirit that I support measures like mandatory firearms training and universal background checks before any gun or permit is issued, to ensure that the unorganized citizens' militia is well-trained and well-regulated.

District of Columbia: Support having the non-federal areas of DC retroceded to Maryland as the city of Washington, thereby enabling the residents within to be represented at all levels of government.  

Social/Cultural Hot-Button issues

Women's Rights: I support measures closing the gender wage gap including raising the minimum wage, fair scheduling practices, pay transparency, universal childcare, paid sick leave, and paid family care leave.  

I also support the final ratification of the UN conventions on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women, and the Rights of the Child.  

Gay Rights: I applaud the Supreme Court decision legalizing gay marriage nationwide, and support the passage of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act banning LGBT discrimination in the workplace, as well as other efforts to ensure that the LGBT community is accepted as full and equal members in our society.  

Race: Favor keeping racial/ethnic preferences for college/university applicants while adding new emphasis on socio-economic status and poverty.  Support ending housing discrimination against racial/ethnic minorities, as well as fixing and preserving Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac (instead of scrapping them); the full restoration and re-authorization of the Voting Rights Act; ending the abuse of authority by law-enforcement agencies; and ending the 'War on Drugs' beginning with overturning the Controlled Substances Act, criminal justice reform including ending mandatory minimum sentencing, and instead treat the drug war as a public health issue.

Economic issues

Secondary Education: Favor adapting the Finland education model to the United States, including a major expansion in after-school tutoring programs as well as universal pre-school education; and changing the traditional school year to a year-round schedule for struggling schools.  

Higher Education: Support making community colleges and vocational schools tuition-free, and encouraging prospective college students to fulfill their introductory course requirements in a community college, while subsequently completing their bachelor's and master's degrees in the four years they will spend at a traditional college/university.    

Tax Code: In addition to closing tax loopholes and setting the top individual income tax rate at 50%, I favor tax reforms including the elimination of the corporate income tax, and introducing the Value-Added Tax (superseding all preceding sales and use taxes) tied with cash rebates via smart cards for less affluent Americans.

Entitlement programs: I favor improving upon (as opposed to repealing) the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act by boosting subsidies, federalizing Medicaid, create a public option, and a single national health insurance exchange.

To ensure the future of Medicare and Social Security for generations to come (and perhaps even expanding them), I favor allowing Medicare to negotiate drug prices, raising the payroll tax as well as eliminating the cap on it, tie the COLA to the Consumer Price Index for the Elderly, gradually raise the retirement age to 70, and to preserve as well as raise the estate tax.  

Free Trade: Strongly support free trade, and favor the establishment of the Free Trade Area of the Americas, the Trans-Pacific Partnership, trans-Atlantic free trade agreements with the European Union and the United Kingdom, and the completion of the Doha Development Round of the World Trade Organization.

Also support transforming the African Growth and Opportunity Act into a free trade agreement.

To ease the economic disruption caused in part by these trade agreements, I favor replacing the inadequate and ineffective Trade Adjustment Assistance program with a more muscular alternative.

Immigration Reform: I fully support the passage of the Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act, and oppose the construction of a border wall.

Energy Independence: I support the federal coal-leasing program; increasing investments into clean coal technology; strictly regulating the fracking practices of the natural gas industry; as well as lifting the ban on exporting liquefied natural gas and oil, especially to Europe.  

In addition, I favor expanding research into nuclear fusion; newer forms of nuclear fission technology; increasing investments into hydrogen fuel-cell technologies, and alternative renewable energy sources like wind, solar, geothermal, and biomass among others; better battery storage technology for utilities; rebuilding our electrical grid to make it more compatible with renewables; promoting energy efficiency in government as well as in private industry, using the LEED Green Building Rating System as a model; tax credits for hybrid vehicles; increasing fuel economy standards for newer vehicles; and introducing a nationwide carbon tax.

I also support opening Yucca Mountain as a storage site for spent nuclear waste, as well as increasing our capacity for reprocessing spent nuclear fuel so that they can be reused and to reduce the total amount of waste that would have to be sent there.

Infrastructure: To ensure sustainable economic growth for decades to come, we need to rebuild and expand our infrastructure for the 21st century and beyond.  A key element of that would be the creation of a national infrastructure bank, with a portfolio covering everything from transportation to water/sanitation systems.

Foreign Policy

Support the ratification of the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea, and an expansion of foreign aid through the Millennium Challenge Corporation.  Advocate cultivating our relations with India through such agreements like the U.S.-India Civil Nuclear Agreement, with the ultimate objective of making India into an ally as special and important to the United States as the United Kingdom is today.  Support reforming military procurement and compensation costs, as well as reshaping our military to better handle the twin challenges of counter-terrorism and counter-insurgency, including a major expansion of the Special Forces and the Counterterrorism Partnerships Fund.

Favor moving our bases in Germany and Italy to Poland and Romania to counter Russian revanchism, as well as gradually moving US military units from Okinawa to Guam and the Philippines to deter Chinese aggression.  Support increasing the size of our navy, the modernization of our nuclear arsenal, and expansion of our missile defense system to better protect our allies, and keeping our armed forces on the cutting edge technologically to meet any threat posed.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 08:22:33 am by Frodo »Logged

JustinTimeCuber
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.78

View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: February 21, 2017, 11:31:47 pm »
Ignore

Ideology : Bernie Bro / Kyle Kulinski viewer / Social Democrat
Social Policy

Abortion: Pro-choice up to viability, then life of the mother, yada yada

Same-Sex Marriage: duh

Drugs: The fact that marijuana is illegal is a f**king joke. Legalize, tax, and regulate all drugs.

Death Penalty:
  Not *morally* opposed, but practically opposed, because sometimes we get the wrong person

Gun Control: Background checks, gun show loophole, high capacity magazine ban

Affirmative Action: Probably not a good idea, better ways to support minorities & women

Prostitution:
It's not my problem.

Euthanasia:
Obviously support. Who the hell am I to tell someone that they have to go through potentially days or weeks of pain before finally dying?

Sex Education : Duh

Immigration: Moderate. Give amnesty to people who are here and who aren't criminals, but enforce immigration law. If you catch a bad hombre (or mujer we're not sexist here) crossing the border then deport them.

Black Lives Matter:
Support the platform, but some of their people are kinda dumb (those knuckleheads who shut down a Bernie Sanders speech or rally or something because he wasn't talking about their specific issue 100% of the time)

Transgender Issues: duh

Muslim Ban: "I'm Donald Trump, and I don't approve this Constitution message.)

Economic Issues

Minimum Wage:  Increase slowly to $15, then adjust to inflation

Universal Basic Income : Probably not but worth looking at.

Welfare: Paid m'paternity leave and sick leave, strengthen social safety net

Social Security: Lift the cap and the minimum benefit

Healthcare: National healthcare system, allow dangerous Canadian drugs to be smuggled in by Bernie and Amy Klobuchar.

Trade: Way too complicated to explain here. In general, for some free trade but don't support TPP, NAFTA, PNTR w/ China

Deficit/Debt: Chill. It's not as big a deal as right wingers pretend it is. I think it would be a good idea to have lower deficits though when possible.

Campaign Finance Reform: Constitutional amendment necessary

Unions: No RTW laws

Energy: Look into clean energy

Environment - Lots of complicated things but in general implement green policies.

Job Creation:
Rebuild awe crumbling inferstructure! I'm Bunnie Sandas.

Education:
free$hit (public tuition for public colleges/universities)

Taxes: Bunnie Sandas' plan is pretty good.

Glass Steagal - Yeeh, duh

Aid - Humanitarian aid where it's sensible.

Foreign

ISIS: End the drone strikes, stop funding the goddamn terrorists

Russia/NATO:
Let's not be close allies with Putin, but let's not provoke them and start WWIII. Make him know that he can't just annex parts of sovereign nations.

Japan/South Korea : Defend South Korea and Japan from North Korea by intimidation. Don't occupy places but make Kim know that if he does an act of war, he's dead.

China: No more PNTR. Put pressure on them to better control emissions.  Don't provoke them by recognizing Taiwan as an independent country.

Cuba:
Guantanamo = dead, open up relations

Iran: The nuclear deal was pretty solid.

Israel/Palestine: 57 state solution

Saudi Arabia : Saudi Arabia is a rogue state. They behead people in public for sorcery and officially call all atheists terrorists.

Pak : What's pakistan

Syria/Iraq/Afghan - gtfo of them

Turkey - I don't know what's happening in turkey either I'm dumb lol

Electoral -

Voter ID - No

Gerrymandering - No, mathematical formula put into place

Term Limits
- Bad idea

Primaries - This is impossible practically but if I were designing a system from scratch, all states vote on the first weekend in June by IRV. The winner actually wins.

GE - Popular vote

Automatic Registration - Yes

Early/Absentee Voting - Yes, expand it somewhat

Holiday in State, GE & Primary Elections - Just make it on the weekend

Public funding of elections - You should have to get a certain number of signatures and then your funding is completely public, otherwise you have to self finance. No donations.
Others -

Patriot Act - RIP

Snowden - Make him Sec. of homeland security to piss off the establishment

Keystone, Dakota - RIP

Puerto Rico - statehood referendum

Statehood DC, PR - yes unless they vote not to

Nukes - Ideally: RIP
Practically: Do what we can with deals like the Iran Deal to stop any spread of nukes.

Rubik's Cube speedsolver (world rank: 496, US rank: 121 as of 7/21)

JustinTimeCuber, Labor-MO

S. Delegate, March - July 2017
Dean of the CoD, June - July 2017
Acting Southern Speaker, June - July 2017

Join the campaign!

Twitter
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: February 22, 2017, 10:18:43 pm »
Ignore

Updating since I became a fascist:

Ideology : Simple answer: Social democrat, snowflake answer: Statist liberal
Social Policy

Abortion: Pro-choice but no public funding unless rape, incest, or life of the mother is in danger

Same-Sex Marriage: For

Drugs: Legalize all drugs

Death Penalty:
 Support but only for extraordinarily crazy crimes

Gun Control: Repeal the Second Amendment, guns as a privilege, not a right. Broadly legal but require a license and all guns in a national gun database

Affirmative Action: Made sense in the 70s, not anymore. Get rid of it.

Prostitution:
Legalize it. No worse than any other job.

Euthanasia:
Support but only with approval of panel of doctors.

Sex Education : For.

Immigration: Legalize all non-violent illegals already here. Deport violent ones. No new immigration, legal or illegal, for 10 years. Maybe allow like 20k a year but only if they are sponsored by an employer who will pay them 200k. Constitutional amendments ending birthright citizenship and making English the official language.

Black Lives Matter:
BLM is dumb but support a policy of police reform. Stop hiring violent low IQ jocks as cops. Instead take advantage of our growing pool of underemployed social science majors.

Transgender Issues: However people want to identify is their own business. Trans people should have all the same protection as everyone else. Protecting them under hate crime laws would be fine too. No government funded HRT for minors though.

Muslim Ban: I support a ban on all new immigration. It is wrong to single out groups by national origin or religion though.

Economic Issues

Minimum Wage:  Increase to $15. Adjust for inflation. Let the businesses that can't afford it go out of business, as long as universal healthcare is established beforehand.

Universal Basic Income : Yes but very basic and everyone gets it regardless of whether or not they work, so as not to incentivize failure.

Welfare: Universal healthcare and UBI.

Social Security: Replaced by UBI

Healthcare: Full Communism. Doctors who protest should be publicly executed or else forced out of medicine and forbidden from ever having a job that pays more than minimum wage.

Trade: Fair trade not free trade.

Deficit/Debt: Sky's the limit. Crank it to 12.

Campaign Finance Reform: Seemed like a good idea but turned out it wasn't. If billionaires want to waste money paying conservatives to vote how they would have anyway, let them.

Unions: Not for the public sector. Hopefully government social policy will render them less necessary in the private sector as well.

Energy: Hydrogen.

Environment - Error on the side of not fuccin up da earf

Job Creation:
Build a new American capitol city in the middle of West Virginia. Build bullet trains connecting all cities with more than 100k. Light rail inside each city with more than 100k. Colonize the moon and Mars.

Education:
Ban teachers unions. Ban private schools. Ban home schooling. Create three tracks in the public school system: One for dummies, one for smarties, and a tiny one of elites who will go to an American version of École Polytechnique where they will be trained to be hipster philosopher kings

Taxes: 50% bottom rate. 90% top rate.

Glass Steagal - Yeah but more socialist.

Aid - Third world nations will be offered funds on par with the Marshall Plan if they submit to 10 years of direct rule by the UN.

Foreign

ISIS: Fund the Kurds. Let Russia bomb on behalf of Assad.

Russia/NATO:
Get rid of NATO, not for Russia's sake but just cus it's dumb.

Japan/South Korea : If they want us to withdraw, withdraw. Maybe set up a new base in the Thai Redshirt Republic just in case.

China: Cordial relations but don't s their d

Cuba:
Normalize relations. Thank for them being the only country that discourages their people from immigrating here. Maybe try to get permanent lease on Gitmo out of the deal.  Gitmo is good. The prisoners there are hardcore Jihadists with no hope for reform.

Iran: Offer full normalization and help with alternative fuel plan in return for scrapping nuclear deal. Side with Shi'its over Sunnis in general.

Israel/Palestine: Israel is done for. Start planning to relocate Jewish refugees.

Saudi Arabia : IDK no good policies here

Pak : Let Modi annex

Syria/Iraq/Afghan - Fund the PKK and the PUK

Turkey - Cordial but don't s their d

Electoral -

Voter ID - Every citizen gets a free ID. It's required to vote.

Gerrymandering - Some form of state based PR and/or IRV.

Term Limits
- Anti-democratic. No.

Primaries - Randomly pick order of states every 4 years. IRV.

GE - Popular vote, democracy, IRV.

Automatic Registration - Yes

Early/Absentee Voting - Not unless you got a good excuse

Holiday in State, GE & Primary Elections - Yes

Public funding of elections - Yeah but not that much. Free air time on TV
Others -

Patriot Act - Good. Make eternal. I support the any secret provisions of the PATRIOT Act that the public doesn't know about as well.

Snowden - Don't care.

Keystone, Dakota - No but also get rid of all special status for Native Americans.

Puerto Rico - If they want to become a state, they can switch to teaching English in their schools. If they don't want to do that, cut them off.

Statehood DC, PR - Yes. Would also back just merging with Maryland. Washington, Maryland could be the US capitol.

Nukes - They're out there already so keep a couple but limit the arsenal to just enough to blow up the world twice.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 10:28:30 pm by Famous Mortimer »Logged

Santander
YaBB God
Russian Federation

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 5.39

View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: February 22, 2017, 10:24:24 pm »
Ignore

Is this a somewhat ironic statement aimed at disarming the opposition?

hey guys, my name is santander and i seek validation on an obscure internet forum by deliberately posting contrarian and dumb things. please pay attention to me Sad
The quintessential stereotype of the western expat who has lived in China and hates China.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: February 22, 2017, 10:30:32 pm »
Ignore

Is this a somewhat ironic statement aimed at disarming the opposition?

Read my earnest positions and decide for yourself :*

🕴🏼Melior🕴🏼
Melior
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.17

View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: February 22, 2017, 11:45:03 pm »
Ignore

Ideology
Social: Stuanch progressive liberal nanny-statist
Economic: Pro-business liberal. I'm a proud believer in capitalism and free markets, but I also support a strong welfare state to help those in need and tough government regulations on certain industries to protect consumers.
Foreign: "Realist"
Political Registration: Democrat

Social Policy
Abortion: Pro-choice
Same Sex Marriage: Support
Drug policy: I believe in legalizing marijuana for both recreational and medical purposes. I support ending the War on Drugs. However, I also support heavy sin taxes (especially on cigarettes) and raising the smoking age.
Death Penalty: I wouldn't necessarily say I support the death penalty. I believe that the death penalty should only be used very rarely (like maybe once every year at the absolute most) and only for the most heinous crimes.
Gun Control: I support background checks and banning guns for those on the No Fly List. However, I oppose banning "assault" weapons, and I also believe that gun control laws should vary by location (New York City should have stricter gun laws than rural Ohio)
Prostitution: Legalize it
Euthanasia: Reluctantly support
PATRIOT Act/NSA Spying: Reluctantly support
Immigration: I am a strong supporter of immigration reform. Immigration is good for our country.
Guantanamo: Close it

Economic Policy
Minimum Wage: I support increasing the minimum wage.
Welfare: Support
Social Security: I'm strongly opposed to cutting or privatizing Social Security.
Right-to-Work: Oppose
Taxation: We should keep income taxes at current levels. We should abolish corporate taxes. However, we should raise the capital gains tax and taxing carried interest like regular income. We should also close any loopholes to make sure the wealthy pay their fair share.
Obamacare: Support, but I oppose universal health care.
Trade: I'm a strong supporter of free trade. I'm pro-TPP and pro-NAFTA.
Climate Change: Climate change is real. We should impose heavy regulations to help combat climate change.
Keystone pipeline: Oppose
Fiscal policy: I oppose any form a balanced-budget amendment. More government investment on things like infrastructure and the economy is good. Cutting government spending is bad for the economy.
Equal pay for equal work: Strongly support
Wall Street: This is an issue that I disagree with most Democrats on. I support repealing Dodd-Frank. I believe that the financial industry should be deregulated. I believe that many Democrats wrongly blame Wall Street for our problems. Wall Street gets an unfair amount of hate. However, we should also reinstate Glass-Stegall.

Other stances:
Gerrymandering: Establish non-partisan redistricting commission
Term limits: Oppose
Common core: Support
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 11:48:07 pm by Melior »Logged

#NeverTrump
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: February 23, 2017, 01:36:03 pm »
Ignore

Stole this from Frodo.  (INcluding some of the wording)

Ideology

Social: Libertarian/Right
Economic: Center-Right
Foreign: Neoconservative/Realist

Social

Abortion/Reproductive Rights: Pro-life, favor the Hyde Amendment, and oppose abortions in all cases but the mother's life. Roe should be overturned.
Marriage Equality/LGBTQ Issues: Support sending marriage to the states. Generally supportive of LGBTQ rights. I oppose the NC transgender law, support the Indiana RFR law.
Death Penalty: Strongly favor the death penalty upon DNA confirmation or absolute confirmation of a crime. Should be also applicable for rape.
Religious Freedom: Strong supporter of religious freedoms for all faiths and those with no faith belief at all. Favor religious liberty laws for bakers and other businesses.
Drug Legalization: Strongly in favor of legalizing it for both medical and recreational usage. Likewise favor LSD legalized and all classes of drugs being decriminalized.
Guns: Oppose the assault weapons ban, oppose gun regulation. Also support conceal carry. Support background checks and closing the gunshow loophole.  
Euthanasia: I am for euthanasia and assisted suicide as an individual right.
Black Lives Matter/Police/Criminal Justice Reform: Strong supporter of criminal justice and police reform and #BlackLivesMatter. Such stance doesn't make me "anti-police." I however also believe in cameras to help cops and the community. Likewise, I would want to encourage "community policing."
Transgender Issues: I strongly believe that trans people have the right to enter the bathrooms/locker rooms of the gender matching their identity and that transphobia be condemned.
Sex Education: I strongly support sex education in schools, starting from middle school.
Education: I believe in limiting the power of the Department of Education to set curriculum over the states. For colleges, I would pop the "student loan" bubble and restructure FAFSA aid to deflate that bubble.  
Affirmative Action: Opposed to it, completely. Either class-based, or merit.
Judges: Favor constructionist judges sitting on the Supreme Court and in the lower judiciary, that interpret the Constitution based on original intent, not a "living Constitution" text.

Economic/Spending

Taxes: I favor a two tax bracket of 35% and 20% with those making under $30,000 single having all income exempt from taxation, including payroll taxes. That said, tax reform should be enacted gradually so that our revenues match our spending and we aren't suddenly halving the revenue stream overnight.  I do favor a very strong estate tax of 65% on estates over $5 million.
Trade: Unapologetic free trader, in favor of NAFTA, CAFTA, TPP (minus the biologics section), and want a global market free from subsidies, quotas, and restrictions on trade. Oppose, of course, all subsidies, restrictions on trade, imports taxes, etc.
Social Security/Medicare: Significantly overhaul and limit benefits to the truly indigent and needy who need healthcare coverage and disability and other benefits to survive in old age. Didn't like their creation and believe we have a vastly expansive welfare state that needs curtailing.
Budgets: Hold spending down alongside tax reform to gradually enact real spending reforms that allow us to balance our budget. A BBA is unfeasible, but in general, our spending should be slowly curtailed and I favored the House GOP's hardline on spending.
Defense Spending: Limit defense spending to what we need to maintain America's hegemony.  Don't overspend, if we can help it. Cut down independent contracting in the defense industry.
Minimum Wage: Oppose it as unnecessary. 5% of all workers work for the minimum wage and it hurts teen youths and others just entering teh job market.
Labor Unions: Really hate them. End collective bargaining for public sector unions and support RTW states.
Financial Regulation: Support financial regulation that is common sense. No 1000 pages of regulations. I oppose Glass-Steagall being reinstated and I oppose Dodd-Frank but I would support a variation of common sense liberal regulation and an extremely strong and independent SEC to regulate Wall Street.

Foreign Policy

Russia/NATO: Completely, unapologetically, and vehemently anti-Russia. Moscow is among our enemies and we should undermine it in Ukraine, Georgia, and Syria, and maintain (and tighten) sanctions on Moscow. The eventual goal is to break up Russia and force it to become a rump state incapable of challenging the United States. I also strongly favor NATO remaining in force to stop the Kremlin.
Radical Islam: Use a mix of covert operations, drone strikes, and infiltration of radical Islamic groups to destroy them. The Muslim ban is stupid primarily because it converts swing Muslims in the Middle East and elsewhere from turning on the Mullahs and the radicals and deprives us of assets that would help us defeat the radicals. Eventually force the Muslim world to embrace a secular revolution that divorces power from the Mullahs in society and puts the Middle East on a road to peace and secular growth.
Israel: Avowedly pro-Israel. She is our main Middle East ally and must remain so. We must defend Israel at all costs from her Arabic neighbors, who would like to see her wiped out.
Immigration: All illegal immigrants in the country should be deported if they came after 2017. However, all prior illegal immigrants should have a pathway to citizenship provided they learn English and pay fines. e-Verify should be the standard for all businesses. No welfare benefits to illegal immigrants or education benefits. Expand legal quotas and require that all immigrants coming to the United States have a college education or some sort of essential skills.
Iran: Support the deal on Iran on the grounds that it removes an enemy of the United States from the table and frees our hands in the Middle East.

Environment

Climate Change: It is real and we need to impose a revenue-neutral carbon tax (that would return all revenues to small businesses and taxpayers).
EPA: Maintain strong support for the EPA. Our planet is our future and we need to balance growth with environmental protection, but let's not hesitate to challenge corporate polluters and stand up to them.

Healthcare

ObamaCare: HP law but maintain it on the books. Limit the Medicare expansion. Enact sweeping changes to healthcare law that would lower costs while expanding the pool of covered people. Limit subsidies to those who maintain a healthy BMI and don't smoke.
Drug patents: Consider broad patents of 10 years and then allow them to become considered generic. End re-buying of patents to hike drug prices. Allow drug importation from Canada.

Political

Gerrymandering: Let it continue. It's a practice as old as the Republic and we will be fine if state legislatures and governors - elected representatives - dictate the lines.
Campaign Finance Reform: No limits - but likewise, no 503(c) groups and no advocacy groups that hide donors. All donors must be disclosed, and no soft money in politics. No donations from unions and corporations allowed. All donations must be individual - based.
Term Limits: As Mitch McConnell said, we have them. They're called elections.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 06:11:36 pm by TD »Logged

Between Two Majorities

“I die the king's faithful servant, but God's first.” -- St. Thomas More

"The wisest use of American strength is to advance freedom." -- President George W. Bush

#NeverTrump Republican
Virginia
Virginia C
Moderators
YaBB God
Antarctica

View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: February 23, 2017, 02:37:29 pm »
Ignore

Gerrymandering: Let it continue. It's a practice as old as the Republic and we will be fine if state legislatures and governors - elected representatives - dictate the lines.

Why though? Just because it is old doesn't make it right. The fact that it helps politicians stay in power is why it has gone on for so long - it is incredibly difficult to get someone to vote for something that may cost them their job, or their ability to push their agenda via party majorities.

If it is about elected officials - you can still mandate bipartisan commissions made of legislators that have rules prohibiting partisan/incumbent gerrymandering. Yes, the maps can still end up skewed one way or another, but it can be reduced and open to litigation if the commission ignores the rules. The absurdity of what is going on now, aided by technology and tons of data on voting patterns makes gerrymandering far too damaging to be ignored any longer.

Look at the North Carolina delegation - 10-3 Republican. In a state that only leans Republican and is highly polarized. There is no way that delegation represents NC as a whole. It represents one party at the expense of the other because that one party got to draw the lines, and because of that, those 10 seats are largely noncompetitive in all but a good-sized backlash against the GOP.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 02:45:13 pm by Virginia »Logged

Alex
YaBB God
Argentina

Political Matrix
E: -4.10, S: -8.75

View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: February 23, 2017, 03:43:22 pm »
Ignore

Ideology

Social: Progressive/Civil Libertarian
Economic: Center-left
Foreign: Between idealist and wilsonian

Social

Abortion/Reproductive Rights: Moderate,but pragmatically pro-choice
Marriage Equality: Strong support
Death Penalty: Strongly oppose in all cases
Religious Freedom: I don't have a problem with differentiating legally between essential and non-essential gooda and services (not that I support them in practice) to
Drug Legalization: Strongly in favor of legalizing it for both medical and recreational usage. Likewise favor LSD legalized and all classes of soft and medium drugs being decriminalized or legalized. I support an Uruguay or Colorado-like system, but allowing drugs from other origins.
Guns: Oppose the assault weapons ban, Support background checks. I don't care about concealed carry
Euthanasia: I am for euthanasia and assisted suicide.
Black Lives Matter/Police/Criminal Justice Reform: Strong support
Transgender Issues:I think anyone should go to whatever bathroom they choose, the government should work on insertion and suicide prevention peograms
Sex Education: I strongly support sex education in schools, starting from the last years of elementary school
Education: Strong supporter of public education, state-funded public university
Prostitutioj: legalized and regulated
Judges: supporter of a living Constitution,.

ies.

Environment

Climate Change: It is real, but the costs of reducing it are staggeringly high, and probably prohibitively so.
EPA: Probably does too much, but environmental protection on a Federal level is probably warranted, especially if it affects interstate issues. Not a fan of pollution from fracking chemicals.
Healthcare

Political

Gerrymandering:  Independent Commission
Campaign Finance Reform: No limits, but enforced transparency on large donationd
Term Limits: I support term limits, but you can ran again after one election
NATO: Opposed
Israel: America should be opposed to or critical of Israel's most radical measures, and should work with Palestine to guarantee a state of law and transparency
Immigration: As close as you can get to open borders while still maintaining proper vetting, easy legal way to citizenship, maintaining b birthright citizenship, no quotas, no immigration or travel bans, no deportation for crimes
Iran: Support the deal on Iran, but it's still a bad deal

Environment

Climate Change: It is real, and the US should do everything it can to avoid it getting even worse, by participating in international deals (Tokyo, Paris), subsidizing sustainable energy sources, and slowly de-subsidizing oil, gas and coal
EPA: it needs to be a very strong, and independent, agenxy

Healthcare

ObamaCare: It's very than the previous system but it's still awful. I support a public free-for-all healthcare system, with private competition

Medical Drugs: Patents should be significantly shorter, smaller companies should be able to lease these parents. And parents shouldn't matter in case of a real emergency/epidemic.
I support importing drugs from other countries and some drugs should be subsidized by the healthcare system
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 05:15:33 pm by Alex »Logged
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: February 23, 2017, 04:01:20 pm »
Ignore

Why though? Just because it is old doesn't make it right. The fact that it helps politicians stay in power is why it has gone on for so long - it is incredibly difficult to get someone to vote for something that may cost them their job, or their ability to push their agenda via party majorities.

If it is about elected officials - you can still mandate bipartisan commissions made of legislators that have rules prohibiting partisan/incumbent gerrymandering. Yes, the maps can still end up skewed one way or another, but it can be reduced and open to litigation if the commission ignores the rules. The absurdity of what is going on now, aided by technology and tons of data on voting patterns makes gerrymandering far too damaging to be ignored any longer.

Look at the North Carolina delegation - 10-3 Republican. In a state that only leans Republican and is highly polarized. There is no way that delegation represents NC as a whole. It represents one party at the expense of the other because that one party got to draw the lines, and because of that, those 10 seats are largely noncompetitive in all but a good-sized backlash against the GOP.

I don't want to clutter this thread so I'll put up a new thread answering this later in this forum. Smiley

Between Two Majorities

“I die the king's faithful servant, but God's first.” -- St. Thomas More

"The wisest use of American strength is to advance freedom." -- President George W. Bush

#NeverTrump Republican
Spenstar
Spenstar3D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: February 23, 2017, 04:44:29 pm »
Ignore

Stole the format from TD, though with some alterations to the topics, and a ton of alterations to the answers

Ideology

General: Liberal in the mould of Hillary Clinton
Social: Liberal, though not at full SJW level
Economic: Slightly to the right of Bernie Sanders
Foreign: Diplomacy enthusiast

Social

Abortion/Reproductive Rights: Pro-choice. Abortion should be safe, legal, easily accessible in all parts of the country, and rare. I favour increased access to contraceptives and other policies that would reduce the abortion rate without denying access to anybody. Also I am very pro-PP
Marriage Equality/LGBTQ Issues: Pro-SSM, Pro-LGBTQ rights, pro-laws that would forbid an employer from discriminating against LGBTQ employees, against "Bathroom Bills" and for increased access to resources to help trans people transition if they so choose.
Death Penalty: Appose, on the grounds that there's always the possibility for DNA evidence to exonerate somebody already convicted, and you can't exonerate a dead person. Also, for heinous crimes, I think life in prison is both crueler and cheaper.
Religious Freedom: This country is for people of all faiths and for people of no faith. Any effort to put laws on the books that favor one religion over another, in any way, is unacceptable. I'm also against the idea of using religion as a shield against beneficial laws. FWIW, I'm Jewish.
Drug Legalization: Weed should be legal for medical and for recreational use in all 50 states, and people incarcerated over weed charges should be freed. For other drugs, in general I think treating drugs as a public health problem rather than a criminal one is best for society, but also people who sell drugs like cocaine and heroin should be punished.
Guns: Oppose concealed carry, support gun-free zones. My ideal gun law would tax ammo and implement a very strict background checks program, but otherwise leave most firearms unbanned. So I'm against an assault weapons ban. 
Euthanasia: I am for euthanasia and assisted suicide as an individual right. (TD's words but I agree with him)
Black Lives Matter/Police/Criminal Justice Reform: Criminal justice reform is essential. Systems of mass incarceration for low-level offenses, the school-to-prison pipeline, mandatory minimums, private prisons, all those things are HP and, in practice, very racist. Basically I agree with John Oliver every time he talks about the criminal justice system. I sympathise with BLM, and I believe in police accountability, including body cameras and an independent system to hold police accountable. I also oppose stand your ground laws.
Transgender Issues: I strongly believe that trans people have the right to enter the bathrooms/locker rooms of the gender matching their identity and that transphobia be condemned. (also TD's words, also we are in agreement)
Sex Education: I support comprehensive sex education, and it should start in middle school, but we need to make absolute sure that it's handled well by the schools. Abstinence-only is not acceptable.
Education: Our school system is a hot mess, incredibly antiquated, and it'll be very difficult to reform, but it needs to be done. Administrators tend to be terrible, many systems aren't designed around modern-day students, (like high school starting at 7:30 AM) and the current system overall is really good at teaching kids to hate themselves and take tests, but not much else. Charter schools are a cool idea as a laboratory for alternate models for education, but are prone to mismanagement, and when a charter finds a really good structure for teaching kids then public schools should take it and run.
Affirmative Action: In a perfect world we wouldn't need this, but at the moment we do because of systems of inequality. Maybe one day we'll phase this out when it becomes an antiquated solution, but for now it's kind of necessary, as much as I don't like it.
Judges: I support the living document interpretation of the constitution. Our laws and documents should be interpreted in ways that are relevant to a society beyond the imagination of the founders.

Economic/Spending

Taxes and Spending: I'm a Keynesian at heart, meaning that I think spending should be up when the economy's in trouble and down when it isn't. Kind of a "tax and spend" liberal when the times call for it. All tax systems should be progressive, the rich need to pay their fair share, (I support a top tax rate of 45-50% for income over $500k) and current corporate loopholes that allow the richest to stash their money to get out of being taxed need to be closed. Also, the IRS should do people's taxes for them (with an opt-out system ofc) to make it more painless and pennies need to go.
Social Security/Medicare: End the tax loophole that allows income over $110k to avoid being taxed when it comes to social security. Keep medicare.
Infrastructure: This should be our next big stimulus. Repair roads/bridges/dams/highways, and then create a national high speed rail/bullet train service. This would bind the country together in a polarising time, potentially cause urbanisation to affect places outside the coasts, and create all kinds of economic growth, both in creating jobs building the thing and because it makes travel much, much easier.
Defense Spending: Limit defense spending to what we need to maintain America's hegemony.  Don't overspend, if we can help it. Cut down independent contracting in the defense industry. (TD's words, but I agree)
Minimum Wage: Set the national min wage to roughly $9-10/hr and then tie the min wage to inflation or the cost of living. The idea is that a 40 hr work week should be enough to clear the poverty line, at the very least. However, the Fight for 15 is best off limited to cities and wealthier states, because the cost of living is higher there.
Labor Unions: I love them with all my heart. Repeal RTW, repeal Taft-Hartley, create a national right to organise.
Financial Regulation: Support reinstating Glass-Stegall, support Dodd-Frank. The financial sector cannot get away with murder.

Foreign Policy

Russia/NATO: VERY pro-Nato, anti-Russia. I generally hate Autocracies, and Putin is among the worst of them. Weakening NATO is terrifying
Radical Islam: Don't use that phrase. It conflates the terrorism we're fighting and Islam as a religion, which are not the same thing. Calling it Radical Islam plays into the hands of ISIS and makes Muslim Americans uneasy; we cannot do this. Having said that, terrorist groups and repressive societies that wear the face of Islam are reprehensible; while I opposed the Iraq War I reluctantly support Drone Strikes as long as they don't kill innocents, and I support fighting ISIS. The Muslim ban was a terrible, terrible thing because it conflates Islam and Terrorism.
Israel: Israel is the Problematic Best Friend of the US. We should acknowledge the questionable actions it's taken, and push it to be better, (possible including a two-state solution or political reforms that make Israel work for both its Jews and Muslims) but at the end of the day, the world is better with Israel than without it, and we must protect it.
Immigration: I favour opening up immigration laws to allow more immigrants, and giving all undocumented immigrants living in the United States (except those who have committed a felony) a path to citizenship. Give instant citizenship to DREAMers. Border walls don't work so we shouldn't do them.
Iran: Support the deal on Iran on the grounds that it removes an enemy of the United States from the table and frees our hands in the Middle East. (again, TD's words and I agree with him)

Environment

Climate Change: It is real and we need to impose a revenue-neutral carbon tax (that would return all revenues to small businesses and taxpayers). (TD's words, I agree) But in addition to that we should invest heavily in solar and wind power, abide by the Paris agreement, and aim to eventually phase out fossil fuels.
EPA: Maintain strong support for the EPA. Our planet is our future and we need to balance growth with environmental protection, but let's not hesitate to challenge corporate polluters and stand up to them. (TD's words, but we agree)

Healthcare

ObamaCare: Keep it on, actually, expand it, make the medicaid expansion mandatory, set up exchanges in all 50 states, and add the public option. Single-payer is fantastic but the ACA with a public option is basically single-payer but with added bells and whistles.

Political

Gerrymandering: End that crap NOW. Either create a national redistricting commission tasked with creating as many swing districts as possible or implement STV. Also the Senate should be proportional.
Electoral College: I support the Interstate Compact.
Statehood: Should be given to DC and Puerto Rico.
Campaign Finance Reform: Return to where we were before Citizens United.
Term Limits: For Presidents only.

Senate Endorsements:
Ohio: My boy Sherrod
Alabama: Doug Jones
Arizona: Mark Kelly or Kristen Synema
....everybody else who you'd expect a D-NY to endorse
Santander
YaBB God
Russian Federation

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 5.39

View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: February 23, 2017, 04:45:34 pm »
Ignore

About time for me to do another one of these.

Ideology
Social: Conservative
Economic: Liberal (as in freedom), with a populist streak
Foreign Policy: Western chauvinist and Zionist

Social Policy
Abortion: Oppose, with exceptions for rape, incest, life of the mother, and for Jews; criminalize sex-selective abortion and punish the mother and/or father
Same-Sex Marriage: Oppose, but accept the law of the land
Religious Liberty: Strongly support, but I do not consider requiring bakers to bake cakes for same-sex wedding receptions to be a violation of religious liberty
Drugs: Strongly oppose drug legalization, increase criminal penalties for using soft drugs
Death Penalty: Support for military use and for terrorists
Gun Control: Background checks are fine, but the Second Amendment must be protected
Affirmative Action: Criminalize all diversity programs
Prostitution: Strongly oppose
Euthanasia: Strongly oppose, make it illegal to seek or aid someone in seeking euthanasia overseas, and charge anyone involved with murder
Immigration: Deport all illegal immigrants discovered by DHS through the course of their regular duties, end family immigration for all except spouse and dependent children, tighten quotas on immigration from non-Western countries
Transgender Issues: Let private businesses determine their own bathroom access rules, oppose recognizing self-identified gender on government documents that list sex, oppose bullying (sane)

Economic Issues
Minimum Wage: Ideally, it would be abolished, but indexing the current one to inflation would help put the issue to bed; the idea of a minimum "living wage" is abhorrent
Welfare: Abolish SNAP, Section 8, EITC, SSI and similar state-level programs; streamline TANF or abolish and move to a universal income supplement, perhaps administered through the tax system
Social Security: Transition to mandated individual savings with income supplements for financially distressed seniors
Healthcare: Repeal Obamacare and move to a market-based health system based on transparent pricing and cash payments for services; keep Medicaid for low-income Americans
Trade: Support free trade with friendly countries that we share cultural/moral values with such as most countries in the Americas and Europe, oppose anything even approaching free trade with hostile nations such as Vietnam or China
Deficit/Debt: Reduce the scope of government first, then we can talk about the bottom line
Campaign Finance: The status quo is fine
Unions: Support, abolish right-to-work nationwide, and encourage average workers to become more involved with their unions to reduce the influence of hardline activists in organized labor
Energy: All of the above policy - let the market sort it out
Job Creation: Government doesn't create jobs, and working is a lifestyle choice
Education: Generally oppose vouchers (support for practicing Jews and Catholics to attend private religious schools) and homeschooling, restore prayer and nativity plays in public schools, strongly emphasize cultural education, make basic education only compulsory until age 12
Higher Education: Greatly reduce government loan/grant programs to deflate the education bubble, end government funds going to proprietary schools, regulate the word "university" in every state
Taxes: Moderately progressive or flat individual income tax and abolish worldwide taxation; abolish all deductions except for charitable giving including the education and mortgage interest deductions; abolish carried interest; reduce the corporate tax and switch to territorial taxation; abolish FICA (since SS and Medicare will be abolished/reformed); index federal excise taxes to inflation

Foreign
ISIS: Work with Russia and make the sand glow
Russia: Improve relations with Russia to defend Christendom from external threats, but make it clear we stand with NATO allies
China: Remove diplomatic recognition and recognize Taiwan until the CPC is removed from power and every single member of its leadership is executed
Cuba: Treat them like any other country that the US imposes sanctions on
Iran: Prevent them from getting a nuclear weapon at all costs
Israel/Palestine: Stand unapologetically with Israel and support a one-state solution with Israel remaining a Jewish state with Jerusalem as its eternal and undivided capital; move the embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem
Syria/Refugees: Accept Christian refugees only, help non-Christian refugees settle in culturally compatible countries

hey guys, my name is santander and i seek validation on an obscure internet forum by deliberately posting contrarian and dumb things. please pay attention to me Sad
The quintessential stereotype of the western expat who has lived in China and hates China.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: February 23, 2017, 04:57:16 pm »
Ignore

Ideology

Social: Libertarian/Right
Economic: Near far right
Foreign: generally non-interventionist

Social

Abortion/Reproductive Rights: Favor the Hyde Amendment, but don't have any specific abortion stance. Don't really care about the fate of the fetus. Roe should be overturned, as it's a perversion of the Constitution.
Marriage Equality/LGBTQ Issues: I think same-sex marriage is bad. Not supportive of LGBTQ "rights". I strongly support the NC transgender law, think the Indiana RFR law is too weak.
Death Penalty: Strongly favor the death penalty upon DNA confirmation or absolute confirmation of a crime.  
Religious Freedom: Strong supporter of religious freedoms for all faiths and those with no faith belief at all. Favor religious liberty laws for bakers and other businesses. Also strongly support separation of religion and state.
Drug Legalization: Weakly in favor of legalizing it for both medical and (more tepidly) recreational usage. Likewise favor LSD legalized.
Guns: Oppose the assault weapons ban. Also support concealed carry. Support background checks. Like abortion, this is not a huge issue for me.
Euthanasia: I am for euthanasia and assisted suicide as an individual right.
Black Lives Matter/Police/Criminal Justice Reform: Both police unions and #BlackLivesMatter are generally horrible movements. Abusive police officers are treated too leniently in this country, and so are Black criminals (and some White ones).
Transgender Issues: LOLNo.
Sex Education: I oppose sex education in schools.
Prostitution: I support legalization.
Education: I favor vastly expanding the power of the Department of Education to set curriculum over the states in a spirit of national equity so long as it exists, but preferably eliminating it, as it's a wasteful big government program. I support cutting funding for lower education and raising it for higher education. Teacher salaries are fine where they are; arguments can be made for cutting them to save money or raising them to attract talent. However, I think the only legitimate argument to be made for free government-run schools is to encourage childbearing.
Affirmative Action: Opposed to it, completely. Either class-based, or merit.
Judges: Favor constructionist judges sitting on the Supreme Court and in the lower judiciary, that interpret the Constitution based on original intent, not a "living Constitution" text.
PATRIOT Act: Strongly opposed. Abolish all unconstitutional mass surveillance.
Indian policy: Abolish the reservations and tribal governments; nobody else has them. Treat Native Americans just like anyone else.

Economic/Spending

Taxes: I support completely eliminating the capital gains tax. Taxes should be cut overall, with a greater share of taxes being exacted from wages.
Trade: Unapologetic free trader, in favor of NAFTA, but not CAFTA or TPP, and want a global market free from subsidies, quotas, and restrictions on trade. Oppose, of course, all subsidies, restrictions on trade, imports taxes, etc. However, this is hardly my biggest issue.
Social Security/Medicare: Significantly overhaul and limit benefits to the truly indigent and needy who need healthcare coverage and disability and other benefits to survive in old age. Didn't like their creation and believe we have a vastly expansive welfare state that needs curtailing.
Budgets: Hold spending down alongside tax reform to gradually enact real spending reforms that allow us to balance our budget. A BBA is unfeasible, but in general, our spending should be slowly curtailed. The House approach to cutting spending is weak and does not go anywhere near far enough.
Defense Spending: Cut it by 90%.
Minimum Wage: Oppose entirely.
Labor Unions: Not a fan. End collective bargaining for public sector unions and support RTW states.
Financial Regulation: I oppose Dodd-Frank. Otherwise, don't know enough to comment.
Welfare: Support benefit cuts. Opposed to universal basic income due to revenue collection issues.

Foreign Policy

Russia/NATO: Completely, unapologetically, and vehemently pro-Russia. Moscow is the most moral major power in the world and we should accept all its acts in Ukraine, Georgia, and Syria, and completely eliminate post-2013 sanctions on Moscow. The eventual goal is a multipolar world. I also strongly favor abolishing NATO due to its terrorist nature.
Radical Islam: A temporary shutdown on Muslims entering the United States is more than warranted. Trump's ban does not go far enough. There are simply too many Muslim terrorist attacks in the U.S. Support defeating ISIS by all serious partners. Turkey is not a serious partner, and nuking Turkey for its support of terrorist activity should definitely be on the table. At the very least, an ouster of Erdogan is warranted.
Israel: America should emulate it, but not become its puppet and servant.
Immigration: All illegal immigrants in the country should be deported, including DACA beneficiaries. No welfare benefits to illegal immigrants or education benefits. Expand legal quotas and require that all immigrants coming to the United States have a college education or some sort of essential skills. Legal immigrants should also be barred from welfare. A return to the national origins quota system is suboptimal, but superior to the current system.
Iran: Support the deal on Iran on the grounds Iran has been so mistreated by the United States over the course of these many decades. Iran has no intention to acquire a nuclear weapon, and it really doesn't matter if it does.
Foreign Aid: Eliminate all foreign aid to Ukraine and Mexico, as well as various other loser countries. Maybe also cut it to some winner countries, like Israel, who are ripping us off so badly.
Cuba: Support normalized relations here.
China: The two-China policy should be on the table. U.S. should build its own islands in the South China Sea and not recognize China's completely improper claims to it.

Environment

Climate Change: It is real, but the costs of reducing it are staggeringly high, and probably prohibitively so.
EPA: Probably does too much, but environmental protection on a Federal level is probably warranted, especially if it affects interstate issues. Not a fan of pollution from fracking chemicals.
Healthcare

ObamaCare: HP law. Eliminate it and replace it with something very terrific. Limit the Medicare expansion, get rid of the pre-existing condition and individual mandates, as well as most, if not all, of the other mandates. Enact sweeping changes to healthcare law that would lower costs while expanding the pool of people who pay out of pocket.
Drug patents: Consider broad patents of 10 years (if that many; patents should be limited in length to the minimum proper to spur innovation) and then allow them to become considered generic, if necessary to spur innovation. Allow drug importation from Canada.

Political

Gerrymandering: Let it continue. It's a practice as old as the Republic and we will be fine if state legislatures and governors - elected representatives - dictate the lines. Proportional representation is a freedom idea.
Campaign Finance Reform: No limits.
Term Limits: Strongly support Ted Cruz's term limits amendment. Necessary to drain the swamp of people like John McCain and Sheldon Silver.
Automatic Registration: Nay
Early Voting: Much as we love it in North Carolina for the data it gives, I am opposed on principle.
Primaries: Shorten schedule to one month, with Iowa going the first week, New Hampshire the second, South Carolina the third, and the rest of the country fourth. Convention happens the following month. Support states deciding their own delegate allocation rules, but like the simplicity of Winner-Take-All.
Puerto Rican and DC Statehood: I'd sooner support annexing British Columbia and Baja California. So, LOLNo.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 05:14:14 pm by Eharding »Logged

Make America Great Again

Political Matrix Score:
Economic score: +5.29
Social score: -3.13

Declaration of Grievances and Innocence:
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=173972.msg5583015#msg5583015

https://www.youtube.com/embed/2wHDOC2pOzA

Stop the Islamofascist Erdog
Tinder Time with Tilden
Spark498
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.22

P P P
View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: February 23, 2017, 05:04:28 pm »
Ignore

Ideology
Social: Conservative
Economic: Center-left
Foreign Policy: Hawkish

Social Policy

Abortion: Strongly oppose in all cases.
Same-Sex Marriage: Oppose, but accept the law of the land, allow civil unions.
Religious Liberty: Strongly support
Drugs: Strongly oppose drug legalization
Death Penalty: Oppose except in cases of terrorism
Gun Control: Background checks are fine, but the Second Amendment must be protected
Affirmative Action: Oppose
Prostitution: Strongly oppose
Euthanasia: Strongly oppose
Immigration: Support amnesty but oppose citizenship for illegal immigrants
Transgender Issues: Let private businesses determine their own bathroom access rules

Economic Issues

Minimum Wage: Left at $7.50/hr, entry level jobs
Welfare: Should be no need for it
Social Security: Transition to mandated individual savings with income supplements for financially distressed seniors
Healthcare: Repeal Obamacare and move to a market-based health system based on transparent pricing and cash payments for services; keep Medicaid for low-income Americans
Trade: Support fair trade with friendly countries
Deficit/Debt: Reduce the scope of government first, then we can talk about the bottom line
Campaign Finance: The status quo is fine
Unions: Support, abolish right-to-work nationwide, and encourage average workers to become more involved with their unions to reduce the influence of hardline activists in organized labor
Energy: All of the above policy - let the market sort it out
Job Creation: Government doesn't create jobs, and working is a lifestyle choice
Education: Support vouchers and school choice.
Higher Education: Greatly reduce government loan/grant programs to deflate the education bubble, end government funds going to proprietary schools, regulate the word "university" in every state
Taxes: Support increased sales tax while abolishing the inheritance "death" tax, and decreased income taxes.

Foreign

ISIS: Work with Russia to defeat ISIS
Russia: Improve relations with Russia to defend Christendom from external threats, but make it clear we stand with NATO allies
China: Remove diplomatic recognition and recognize Taiwan
Cuba: Sever diplomatic relations
Iran: Prevent them from getting a nuclear weapon
Israel/Palestine: Stand with Israel and support a one-state solution with Israel remaining a Jewish state with Jerusalem as its eternal and undivided capital; move the embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem
Syria/Refugees: Don't accept any refugees, we can't afford terrorists to enter our country

Environment

Climate Change: It is real and we need to impose a revenue-neutral carbon tax (that would return all revenues to small businesses and taxpayers). (TD's words, I agree) But in addition to that we should invest heavily in solar and wind power, abide by the Paris agreement, and aim to eventually phase out fossil fuels.
EPA: Maintain strong support for the EPA. Our planet is our future and we need to balance growth with environmental protection, but let's not hesitate to challenge corporate polluters and stand up to them.

Healthcare

ObamaCare: Repeal it and use a single payer system, keep provision that states children can be on parents health care plan until 25.

Political

Gerrymandering: There should be a neutral commission to regulate this
Electoral College: I support the Interstate Compact.
Statehood: Should not be given to DC, but another referendum should be held for Puerto Rico.
Campaign Finance Reform: Return to where we were before Citizens United.
Term Limits: Support
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 09:24:02 pm by Spark498 »Logged

President: Trump

Political Spectrum:
Economic: +1.47 (Centrist)
Social: 0.14 (Libertarian)
Foreign Policy: 4.52 (Neo-Con)
Cultural: 5.91 (Conservative)
parochial boy
parochial_boy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: February 23, 2017, 05:10:48 pm »
Ignore

The problem with a "summary of political beliefs" is that there is a difference between what I think is politically realistic, and what I actually think would be the ideal way of running things.

For instance, I would quite hapilly abolish the concept of private property, but in practice, that isn't something that is realistic - so I go for nationalisation of key industries, universal basic income, worker councils and things like that.
heatcharger 🌹‏
heatcharger
YaBB God
Greenland

Political Matrix
E: -1.54, S: -2.74

View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: February 26, 2017, 01:12:41 am »
Ignore

Mine is kinda long so I'll break it into three parts...

Old School Republican
Computer89
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: February 26, 2017, 01:56:37 am »
Ignore

Economic Issues: Solidly Conservative

Taxes:

- Support cutting income tax massively and would bring the overall code down to 0,10,20,30 percent.
- Support cutting corporate tax rate down to 25%
- Support Raising capital gains taxes to 27.5%
- Oppose carbon taxes at federal level, would support at state level if income taxes are cut by same amount
- Oppose of shore tax havens and would require them to be disclosed
- Oppose sales tax
- Support cutting property tax rate by 50%

Regulations:

-Support creating an independent advisory board to do a cost/benefit analysis on every new regulation proposed  and  require all regulations proposed to be approved by the board or the house only after that cost benefit analysis is released publicly .

- Support massively  cutting regulations on small business

- Support reinstating Glass Stegall

- Support moderately cutting regulations on other businesses

Minimum Wage:

- Support raising min wage to 10.50 an hour and indexing to inflation
-Oppose totally 15 dollar wage

Healthcare:

- Allowing insurance to be sold across state lines
- Allowing medicine to be imported from Canada

Social Security:

- Support Raising retirement age to 68

Welfare Benefits:

- Support transitioning welfare to workfare(though basic benefits such as food stamps will still be provided like now without work requirement but others will require it)

- If you do not want to work you will have to do a job training program to get welfare

- Welfare money cant be spent on drugs/alcohol

Budget

-Support across the board spending cuts on everything expect VA benefits and infrastructure  

- Support a Balanced Budget Amendment except in times of recession and war

- Support auditing any department what receives more then 50 billion in the federal budget

- Support cutting all pork-barrell spending from the Budget

- would expand reagan mexico city policy too all international non profit organizations

Labor:

-Support Right to Work Laws
- Support Taft Hartley
- Believe striking against public safety should be illegal
- Support 8 hour work day, banning child labor , work safety regulations
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 04:11:25 am by Old School Republican »Logged

Favorite Current Politician - John Kasich
Favorite of last 50 years- Reagan, Bush Sr

Economic Score: 3.61
Social: -0.1

"http://www.gotoquiz.com/politics/grid/28x23.gif

Foreign Policy: 1.6

My Timeline: http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=261223.0
Jimmie
jamespol
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: February 26, 2017, 07:26:48 am »
Ignore

Abortion: From a policy perspective abortion needs to remain legal. Sorry guys, hangers are to hang clothes up with not to perform medical procedures.

Same-Sex Marriage: Strongly support. At first I was for civil unions until people are okay with gay marriage Hehe.

Drugs: Marijuana should be legalized for sure and perhaps most drugs. I am not a huge fan of government intervention in these issues as it is pointless and a strain on law enforcement. However I do support punishments on use of drugs if they contributed to an accident or crime. That would place Alcohol on par with weed.

Death Penalty: Opposed except in the most egregious circumstances. Seems barbaric.

Gun Control:  It is an issue that is unwinnable. It is not like everyone will just turn their guns in just because they are made illegal. Plus the Second Amendment protects our gun rights.

Affirmative Action: Unfortunately it is a necessary evil.

Immigration: A nation does have a right to restrict who can and can not come into their country. However immigration is a plus for our nation, not a minus. While we advertise ourselves as the nation of opportunity I am not fight against illegal immigration. If your car breaks down in the middle of the night a Mexican is likely to be the one who comes to fix your car. Plus Muslim immigrants and refugees are trying to escape terrorism not bring it with them.

Minimum Wage: I am opposed to a federal minimum wage. Circumstances and cost of living vary wildly throughout the United States, though I could be talked into a 10.00 per hour minimum wage nationally. A 15/20 dollar per hour minimum wage could create economic chaos in the rural Midwest.

Welfare: Very few people actually oppose all welfare. Even if the right can make compelling arguments against welfare programs, we can not be a developed nation without them. There are people on hard luck, have mental illnesses, or unskilled due to circumstances beyond their control.

Healthcare: No ObamaCare. We must have medicare for all. It is the only practical solution and replacement to ObamaCare.

Trade: Yea yea yea, I concede it is true that trade agreements like NAFTA have accelerated job losses in the Rust Belt. That contributed to Donald Trump's victory. But here is the kicker, dismantling all free trade agreements will not bring those unskilled high paying jobs back. We must embrace the new economy. I am not a Luddite so I strongly believe new positions will be created and some positions that can be automated are not practical to automate. Free trade has helped keep inflation and our cost of living low.

Deficit/Debt: Deficit spending is good in a recession of course. We must close most tax loop holes to contribute to keeping our national debt from getting out of control. National debt is not necessarily bad but it is bad when it exceeds GPD and you are borrowing from social security.

Unions: We must gut all public sector unions. I am okay with unions in the private sector.

Energy: Sorry coal boys, green energy is the future. I am not one to want to end all fossil fuel usage over night but for the sake of our climate we must transition to green energy. I do not know if conservatives get high off coal or gasoline but we need to embrace the future not the past.

Taxes: I mirror Mitt Romney. Keep the rates lower but close most of the deductions and loop holes.

Foreign Policy tl;dr DOVE. Bush is the reason why I usually vote Democratic.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 07:33:20 am by Jimmie »Logged

heatcharger 🌹‏
heatcharger
YaBB God
Greenland

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: February 26, 2017, 11:49:41 am »
Ignore

Following SATW's format:

Economic Issues: Fiscal Liberal/Economic Neoliberal/Political Pragmatist
Taxes:
- In favor of a more progressive tax policy with higher tax brackets, but not across the board increases.
- In favor of increasing the estate tax from 40% to 45%.
- In favor of implementing a carbon tax and other sin/luxury taxes.

Healthcare:
- Support the Affordable Care Act
- In favor of a public insurance option.
- Supporting raising the Medicare age to 67 and implementing necessary reforms to save the program.
- Support minor to modest cuts in Medicare, if needed, but opposed to Ryan-esque measures.

Social Security:
- Supporting raising the retirement age to either 67 or 69.
- Support a partial privatization at a very modest rate.

Minimum Wage:
- Oppose granting a $15 minimum wage.
- Support a federal minimum wage indexed to inflation yearly to end this matter for good hopefully. States would still have the ability to increase their minimum wage if they feel necessary.

Welfare and Unemployment Benefits:
- Support the current state of welfare.
- Interested in the idea of a universal basic income, but needs more time to become politically salient.

Education:
- Strongly against voucher programs.
- Strongly in favor of universal pre-K education. Not only is early education vital for the development of kids of all socioeconomic backgrounds, but parents who work have one less thing to worry about, which can be a godsend for many.
- Strongly support after-school programs.
- Somewhat opposed to teacher's unions. There's a little too much room for foul play.
- Support raising teacher's salaries via federal or state funding. Teachers play a pivotal role in making sure our young people are ready adults.
- Support Common Core standards, but some measures need to be tweaked.
- Skeptical of charter schools and mostly against, but see the value of some of them especially in inner cities where public schools are neglected.
- Opposed to the idea of free college, but support initatives seeking to reduce the student debt burden (basically Hillary Clinton's plan).
- In favor of making community college tuition-free.

Free Trade:
- Strong supporter of free trade policies and oppose protectionism. "Buy American, Hire American" would hurt the middle-class the most, as they spend a larger proportion of their income on consumer goods.
- Strong supporter of NAFTA and TPP.
- Support job retraining programs for former manufacturing workers and others affected by globalization, and these programs should be funded both through federal funding and by private companies who would be given incentives to do so. However, this is ultimately a futile endeavor in the long-run. This is why a UBI may eventually become necessary.
- Want to make sure that the United States stays the dominant trade superpower in the world. By leaving the TPP, we are allowing China to gain foothold in global trade and potentially surpass us.

Immigration:
- Amnesty should be given to undocumented immigrants already living in the United States.
- Support a less draconian e-Verify system.
- Against a stupid and wasteful border wall.
- Support deporting illegal immigrants who commit violent crimes.
- Support the DREAM Act.
- Support slight tweaks to the VISA system.
- Opposed to an unconstitutional Muslim ban.
- Understand that we already have extreme vetting for immigrants and refugees.

Deficits and Budgets:
- Balancing the budget should be a goal, but not a requirement.
- Support cuts to national defense spending.
- Support cuts to Social Security, and Medicare, as reducing the debt is vital if not for the growing interest we pay on it.

Environmental and Energy Issues:
- Support the idea of a carbon tax, although would be fine with cap-and-trade as well. I'm willing to hear the arguments for both, but ultimately I favor a carbon tax more as generating government revenue from this would be a boon.
- Support Obama and his EPA's tyrannical war on coal. The advent of natural gas is the reason coal is dying, not the EPA.
- In favor of phasing out fossil fuel as the main energy source.
- However, I seek American energy independence in the short-term, which is why I'm not completely against the Keystone XL pipeline, mostly for geopolitical reasons in the Middle East.
- In the long-term though, clean energy should take precedence, and am in favor of public funding of solar and wind energy.
- Climate change is obviously real, and the issue of climate refugees, particularly in Bangladesh, Florida, Netherlands, etc., will become a major crisis soon enough. Fighting climate change will require global cooperation, and that starts with maintaining the Paris Agreement.

Other:
- Against auditing the Federal Reserve. Rand Paul and Ted Cruz have no business being involved in that.
- Support reinstating Glass-Steagal. I'm generally in favor of regulating Wall Street but not to a detrimental level.
- Economic populism is a threat, especially when delivered by charlatans like Donald Trump and to a lesser extent, Bernie Sanders.

I'll post social and foreign policy issues later.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 12:11:41 pm by heatcharger »Logged

heatcharger 🌹‏
heatcharger
YaBB God
Greenland

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: February 26, 2017, 12:09:29 pm »
Ignore

Social Issues: Progressive

Abortion:
- Pro-choice. I probably would be fine with a third-trimester ban, but otherwise, women have the right to do what they want. I don't want mothers raising children when they're miserable doing it.
- Also, whether a fetus is alive or not is all semantics. Women will get abortions anyway, so let's work to make sure they're safe.
- Support maintaining Planned Parenthood.
- Support repealing the Hyde Amendment.
- Opposed to how Republicans use abortion as a wedge issue. I'm also fine with personally-pro-life politicians but not if they actively make it harder for women to get abortions.

LGBT Equality:
- Tolerant of same-sex marriage.
- Support the ENDA.
- Highly skeptical of transgenderism and believe there is no such thing as gender fluidity, but ultimately, "bathroom" laws are a giant smokescreen by Republicans to distract from things that actually matter, and so people should use whatever bathroom they are comfortable with. However, I have many concerns about the logistical problems that arise by allowing people to identify with either gender.

Drugs:
- The War on Drugs has been a failure, unless of course, the goal is to incarcerate more minorities.
- Marijuana should be rescheduled and made no longer a federal crime whether it be the use of or distribution of the plant.
- Support the legalization of medicinal marijuana and support the further research of the drug.

Voter ID Laws:
- Against voter ID laws simply because it's a waste of time and money. Voter fraud is not a real problem.

Gerrymandering:
- Support switching to a parliamentary system with proportional representation. Geographic representation was an issue in 1789, but in our highly interconnected world, politics is not that local anymore.
- More realistically, I support switching to nonpartisan, software-generated districts based on average distance to the center of their district. Basically this guy's proposal.

Congressional Term Limits:
- I'd be fine with a 4-term limit on Senators and a 12-term limit on Congressmen just to get fresh blood.

2nd Amendment:
- In favor of universal background checks.
- Support bans on suspects listed on a terror watch list.
- Support an assault weapons ban.
- Opposed to how Republicans use guns as a wedge issue. The NRA has way too much influence. However, Democrats should be a little more ambivalent on this because there are many people who agree with their policies except for the rhetoric on guns.

Vaccines:
- Anti-vaxxers are a threat to society.

Death Penalty:
- Support the death penalty in only the most severe cases.

Law and Order Issues/National Security:
- Strongly opposed to stop-and-frisk.
- NSA does some good things and doesn't get any credit for it, but they should attempt to be a little more transparent although not to a fault.
- Police need new hiring protocols to weed out bad apples.
- Support body cameras.
- Support ending for-profit policing.
- Strongly against private prisons.
- Support our nation's law enforcement, but not when they are actively breaking down communities. However, people need to learn to respect the rule of law, and when injustices are committed, they should work within the system to prevent further incidents.

Affirmative Action:
- Could use modifications, but still a good policy on balance.

Civil Rights Issues:
- Black lives matter. Whether the movement is an annoyance or not, the message should be universally supported.

Freedom of Speech and Political Correctness:
- Political correctness is a made-up issue.
- Don't care if anyone burns the flag because it doesn't matter.

The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.61, S: -7.48

View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: February 27, 2017, 06:52:14 pm »
Ignore

Ideology

Social: Libertarian Left
Economic: Slight Left to Centre Left
Foreign: Liberal or Non-interventionist

Social

Abortion/Reproductive Rights: For Abortion in cases of Rape, Incest, or other forms of forced sex and should be much easier to get in the earlier stages and oppose the states rights issue to the Abortion Issue. However Late termination of Pregnancy around the third trimester i believe should have some sort of ban or made harder to do to the more developed and aware Fetus. Im in favor of Planned Parenthood and support repealing the Hyde Amendment. Moderate
Death Penalty: Against the Death Penalty uniformly Very Liberal
Religious Freedom: Support everyone's right to believe what they want to believe. They should not be forced to do something that goes against there believes and in the case of the bakers issue, The baker should not be forced to bake a cake for gay couples even if the religous clause is bullsh**t. Center Right
Drug Legalization: Support Marijuana legalization in all 50 states and all non lethal drugs should also be legalized. These all should be Legalized, Taxed, and Regulated. It can be up to the states on how they want to do these 3 Ls and on what drugs can be legalized which can be done through popular referendums (End the Drug War!) Standard Liberal
Guns: Support the second amendment strongly and People have the right to bear arms but can support can minimal gun background checks and learning. Moderate
Euthanasia: Support the Right to Suicide. Very Liberal
Transgender Issues: I personal believe there are and should only be two genders minus of course intersex which is genetic. But i will respect someone else's decision if they did. As for the Bathroom issue, The Government should not have the power to force this and should be up to the local and state levels and the actual businesses itself. This whole issue is stupid and a third bathroom with both urinals and stalls for them would solve this. Centre Right to Moderate
Sex Education: Support Middle School and High School Sex Education Standard Position
Education: Support School Choice and abolish common core Center Right
Affirmative Action: Against it. Just a way to discriminate. Right Wing
Judges: Judges should follow the Constitution as it was. Center Right to Moderate

Economic/Spending

Taxes: I favor a form of Progressive Taxation. Create a 45% tax bracket for those making over 10 Million, 40% tax on those making 2-10 Million, 30-35% tax bracket for those making 500,000 to 2 Million, a 30% tax for those making 250,000 to 500,000, 25% for those making 100,000 to 250,000, 15% for those making 50,000 to 100,000 and a 5% tax for those under that. Against offshore safe havens and we should limit loopholes through this. Liberal/Progressive
Trade: Support Protectionism when it comes to trade. Against TPP and favors a Resigning of NAFTA and supports Fair Trade. Standard Liberal
Social Security/Medicare: Supports both and slight lowering of the retirement age from 67 to 65 Standard Left
Budgets: Support some form of a Balanced budgets amendment. Moderate
Defense Spending: Lower it massively. Military spending makes up 54% of the discretionary budget which is massively too high for a country not a threat with war. Should be cut by 45-65% and used for domestic programs at home. Very Liberal
Minimum Wage: Should be raised nationally to 11.50-12.50$ per hour however it should be tied to inflation so as the price of living increases so does the wage. The 11.50$ per hour can be made both higher or lower depending on a states cost of living. Slight Left
Labor Unions: Support Labor Unions in both Private and Public Sectors. Can negotiate with Company owners for worker issues. Liberal
Financial Regulation: Support Rein-station of Dodd-Frank and there should be much more regulation of Wall Street and big business and should be held to account. In case of future recessions there should be no bailing out of them. Also i support lower regulations of Smaller business. Progressive

Foreign Policy

Russia/NATO: I support Russia in its standoff with Nato as Nato has increasingly expanded to its borders. I support the Annexation of Crimea, there actions in Georgia, and a Russian backed recognized state in Donbass. There should be less tensions with Russia and we should loosen up sanctions on them. I also support NATO existence as a Defensive organization however should stop its aggressive path towards Russia. Pro-Russian
Radical Islam: Oppose Radical Islam on all counts. We should work with allies in the Middle East to oppose it and defeat it like the kurds. We should also work with Assad's Syria and Russia to defeat ISIS. Oppose Trumps Travel Ban as it does more Harm then good and most Terrorists that have attacked in America were not from those 7 country but from the Gulf and Pakistan. We should also distance ourselves from Saudi Arabia and Pakistan and the Other Gulf states and recognize them for who they are at exporting Radical/Wahhabi Islam around the World. Standard Liberal
Israel: I Support Israels Right to Exist and sympathizes with them more then the Palestinians. However we much support a Two State Solution and stop always being on Israels Side. We must force them to make Concessions and in the end hopefully form a Israel and a Palestine. If Israel doesn't agree we can tell Israel that the US will give up there UN vote in UN Resolutions. Standard Liberal
Immigration: Support a very tough Border. Dont agree with a wall as Immigrants will just find a way around it. For the Millions of Illegals already here, i think it is too time consuming to try to deport all and instead find a way to Citizenship. I also agree that the US should fight the Root problem which is crime in Mexico and Central America to try to stop the massive Illegal Immigration. The Illegals should also be barred from Welfare and Government functions.
I support around 5,000 Refugees to be able to live in the US however they should be brutally checked and made sure they dont have terrorist motives and are actual refugees. I support out of these 5,000 that they be representative of the Religion of there Country. For instincts, for every 100 Syrian Muslim Refugees there is 10 Syrian Christian Refugees to represent the 90-10 Muslim Christian Percentage in Syria. Right Wing
Iran: Supports the Iran Deal and we should end some sanctions on Iran. We should continue to watch there Nuclear Program and should act more friendly to them. Moderate
Environment

Climate Change: Its Real and no matter if its Man Made or Not, we should take drastic measures to fix it Liberal
EPA: Strongly Support and we should continue to Protect the environment Very Liberal

Healthcare

ObamaCare: Support it however i think it goes to little and we should push for a much more reasonable Single Payer with some competition or Choice System. However i have a feeling that America will end up having a expanded Obamacare with more broad coverage Standard Progressive
Drug patents: Should take around 10 years but beside that, dont have much to say Moderate

Political

Gerrymandering: We should end this sh**t Very Liberal
Electoral College: I support it however also support a clause in which when no one reaches 270, the one with the most Electoral Votes wins instead of it going to the House and Senate. Moderate
Campaign Finance Reform: There should no Large Donations from Large Donors. Support a Bernie Style way of finacing Campaigns. Very Liberal
Freedom of Speech: Support it always. Neither Left or Right. True American Position.
Term Limits: There should be Term Limits for the House and Senate. Liberal
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 10:35:34 pm by Govanah Jake »Logged

Here - http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=18844.1250

2020 Democratic Primary - Sherrod Brown, Tulsi Gabbard, Steve Bullock

TL: Strong as a Bull Moose! - A Alternate 1912 Election and Beyond
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=270726.0

mencken
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: March 26, 2017, 12:46:07 pm »
Ignore

I shall distinguish between my old, deplorable political opinions (mencken 1.0), and my new, enlightened philosophy (mencken 2.0)

Abortion:
Use money in the welfare/food stamp budget to fully subsidize abortions and contraception for those who cannot afford it.
Use money in the Medicaid budget to fully subsidize abortions and contraception for those who cannot afford it.
Death Penalty:
Abolished for the judicial system. Convicted murderers forfeit their personhood to their victim's estate, whereupon the next-of-kin are free to do with it as they see fit.
Abolished uniformly. Convcited murderers sent to rehabilitation for six month before returning to society as changed men.
Religious Liberty:
Nonsensical term. People ought to be free to associate with whom or what they want regardless of pseudoreligious justification.
Life imprisonment for those who refuse to actively participate in any celebration of alternate lifestyle (with special waivers from this statute for observant Muslims)
Drug Legalization:
Legalize them all, with appropriate surgeon general's warning that nobody will read anyway.
Use money in the Medicaid budget to fully subsidize marijuana for those who cannot afford it.
Affirmative Action:
Gross violation of equality under the law. Banned from institutions receiving federal funding for educational purposes.
All minorities (except Asians and Jews) shall be guaranteed at least twice the representation in an institution as their representation in the applicant pool.
Immigration:
See here.
Automatic citizenship for all undocumented immigrants currently present and for all claiming refugee status. Those currently in the immigration queue move to fourth in the line behind the above groups and their extended families and friends.
Guns:
Existing background checks and waiting period for purchase, concealed carry and open carry.
Banned except for police use. Misdemeanor offense for toy guns or extending the middle and index finger in a suspicious manner.

Taxes:
Abolish personal and corporate income taxes and estate taxes. Fund government services with user fees, property (sales) taxes, excise taxes, and tariffs (capped at 10% each)
One-time 60% wealth tax on households over $10 million; double tax burden on brackets over $100,000; half tax burden on brackets under $50,000.
Health Care:
Individual mandate for catastrophic coverage and/or health saving accounts over a specified amount. Insurance purchasable by individuals rather than employers. Price caps on patent-protected prescription drugs.
Universal public option, ban on private health care
Social Security/Medicare:
Allow individuals to earmark Social Security/Medicare taxes toward their parents' benefit.
Need-based Social Security/Medicare benefits. No benefits for seniors in households over $500,000.

Welfare:
Restructure welfare system to gradually tapir off benefits/avoid creating disincentive toward marginal increase in earned income.
Expand the requirement for need-based eligibility to 300% of the poverty line.
Labor:
End minimum wage, ban on public sector unions, freeze federal hiring, eliminate Wagner Act
Raise minimum wage to $30/hour, freeze private-sector firing, require companies to give labor unions 30% of stock.

Culturally conservative, economically liberal

I remember why I left this cesspool of a Forum the first time. So long and thanks for all the fish!
Senator Scott, PPT
Ascott
YaBB God
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.40

View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: May 05, 2017, 08:37:24 pm »
Ignore

Updating this.  Some planks were taken from another user.

Ideology
Social: Classical liberal
Economic: Social democrat
Foreign Policy: Civic nationalist/Non-interventionist/Anti-Wilsonian
Political Registration: Democratic in NC, but I plan on going unaffiliated

Social Policy
Abortion: Pro-choice, especially for the first two trimesters.  Oppose mandatory counseling/waiting periods.  Oppose the Hyde Amendment.  Neutral on late-term abortions; abortions that are performed past the second trimester are so rare that they are hardly worth legislating against... Women generally would not abort at this stage in this pregnancy unless there is a severe fetal abnormality or if the woman's life is in danger.

Same-Sex Marriage: Strongly support.  I'm generally against laws that force religious businesses to cater or service weddings, but I can see justification if the clientele are without local alternatives.

Conversion Therapy: Ban it entirely.  Conversion therapy is complete pseudoscience and should be treated the same way as any other illegitimate and dangerous 'health remedy.'

Transgender Issues: This is an issue that's way overhyped by the media but the conservative backlash against RESTROOMS is ridiculous.  Support nondiscrimination laws and ordinances and oppose so-called "religious freedom" laws.  I also believe that sex and gender are separate concepts.

Drugs: Legalization of marijuana and LSD; decriminalize the possession, but not sale, of other drugs.  Decriminalize the selling of small amounts of cocaine.  Abolish the DEA.

Death Penalty: Oppose.

Gun Control: Oppose bans on assault weapons and gun registries.  Neutral on magazine/clip limits.  Support open and concealed carry.  Support mandatory gun safety features, background checks, and closing the gun show loophole.  Ban armor-piercing bullets.

Ideally, I would support mandatory firearm safety courses, but I'm resigned to the fact that guns are part of American culture and that such a requirement would be met with fierce resistance.  I also believe that states and localities should set their own gun laws; what works for Chicago probably wouldn't work for places like Alaska and Montana.  Illegal gun transfers and sales should be prosecuted and existing laws should be strictly enforced.

Affirmative Action: I oppose mandatory quotas.

Prostitution: I am very opposed to prostitution on moral and personal grounds, but I don't think government should ban the practice, especially since porn is effectively prostitution with a camera.  Regulate prostitution and mandate that contraceptives be used.  I don't believe in shaming sex work, but I don't support glamorizing it, either.

Euthanasia: Strongly support, provided that the patient is of sound mind.  I believe that a person has the fundamental right to end his or her own life for any reason.

Immigration: Create a pathway to citizenship for all non-violent undocumented immigrants.  Deport or imprison violent undocumented immigrants.  Require immigrants to assimilate into the culture regardless of religion or country of origin.  Offer free English courses and require fluency as a prerequisite to full citizenship, but oppose making English the "official language" of the United States.  Prosecute businesses that hire and exploit illegal immigrants out of good wages.

Police Issues/Black Lives Matter: I strongly support the goals of BLM and police reform.  Require body cameras and accountability.  Allow for community policing and downgrade police firearms.  The justice system should be reformed so that officers are held accountable - no more "blue shield."

Free Speech/Political Correctness: Political correctness is cancer.  I am a free speech absolutist and I'm completely against government censoring controversial opinions.  Stigmatizing discussion of certain topics is anti-liberal and impedes social progress and personal growth.  At the same time, college campuses and student bodies have the right to not entertain public speakers and to hold peaceful protests; nobody is entitled to a platform.

School Prayer: Support voluntary, non-led prayer.  I also believe students should be allowed to form private religious and Bible Study groups if they desire.

Muslim Ban: Islamaphobia is wrong and so are religious litmus tests period.  Anyone who's willing to assimilate into the culture and be a productive member of society should not be disqualified from entering the United States.

PATRIOT ACT/NSA Spying: Completely opposed to warrantless wiretapping.

TSA: Abolish it.  Let airports manage their own security in accordance with federal standards.

Economic Issues
Minimum Wage: Establish a national living wage of $15 per hour set to rise with inflation.

Welfare: Safeguard and expand the welfare state. Ensure food security for all Americans, provide adequate living assistance, paid maternity and paternity leave of at least 1 year each, paid sick leave, 2 weeks guaranteed paid holidays, and subsidized childcare and universal pre-k.

Social Security: Lift the taxable income cap.  Social Security is solvent until 2033 and there is no “crisis.”  Ideally, the retirement age would be lowered so as to expand job opportunities for young people.

Healthcare: I would support a single-payer/Medicare-for-all program although I am unsure if this would be the best model for the United States.  I think that single-payer should be tested first in states like New York or California before adopting a national model.  Currently I’m most in favor of a nationwide “public option” or Medicare buy-in program, as well as co-ops or Germany-style “sickness funds,” to compete with private insurance companies.

Allow drug imports from Canada and countries which tightly regulate their drug markets for safety.  Subsidize families that spend more than a certain portion of monthly income on prescription drugs, either through reimbursement or tax credits.

Globalization/Trade: I don’t much like globalization itself but I don’t believe that protectionism is the solution to the drawbacks.  International institutions and corporations have used globalization purely for self-enrichment at the expense of the environment, human rights, labor protections, indigenous cultures, and civil liberties.  I support alter-globalization and fair trade as opposed to neoliberalism and corporate-friendly trade deals.

Deficit/Debt: Maximize efficiency, streamline all governmental agencies, consolidate agencies and eliminate redundancies, abolish the NSA, slash the military and defense budget, focus on implementing cost saving technologies, and make it publicly available and readily accessible to see where all funds are going, the budgets of every agency and department, and who voted for what funding.

Campaign Finance Reform: Pass a Constitutional amendment that would repeal Citizens United and require transparency.

Unions: Strongly support. Completely overturn the Taft-Hartley Act, strengthen public and private sector unions, and abolish all right-to-work laws.

Energy: Invest heavily in green energy with the intent of revolutionizing our energy sector. Incentivize businesses and individuals to go green with tax breaks, implement cap and trade, partially nationalize all companies exploiting our natural resources, and begin reducing fracking and offshore drilling.  Retrain coalminers and help them transition to safer jobs in the energy industry.

Job Creation: Invest in a massive infrastructure redevelopment program and fund public projects that use American-made steel and resources.  Incentivize businesses to create jobs in underprivileged areas, both rural and urban.  Expand broadband to rural areas.

Education: I favor the Finnish model on education.  Replace “drill, kill, bubble-fill” testing and promote innovative learning.  Allow teachers more autonomy over class material and give students say in the curriculum.

I believe that higher education should have a much smaller role whereas high school should have a more lasting impact on a student’s learning.  (Ideally, college would only be geared toward STEM students and aspiring lawyers, but we’ve reached the point where that’s impossible.)  I do not favor incentivizing STEM degrees at the expense of the humanities as I believe that disciplines such as art and philosophy are undervalued in society.

However, I support tuition-free public universities and refinancing student loan debt as well as universal pre-k.

I strongly oppose bans on homeschooling.

Taxes: Taxes in the United States are among the most progressive in the world yet poverty and inequality remain high because money is not redistributed progressively.  I would support higher taxes across the board only under the condition that welfare is more generous.  Otherwise, I support lowering taxes for low-income people and support drastically reducing if not eliminating state sales taxes.  I also favor slashing the Corporate Tax.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 08:14:19 pm by Senator Scott »Logged

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout