Mississippi 2015 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:24:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Mississippi 2015 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 28
Author Topic: Mississippi 2015 Megathread  (Read 82693 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: June 22, 2015, 08:44:19 PM »

Speaker Gunn just said that the confederate emblem on the MS flag should be removed. He has no opposition, but wonder if any other GOPers will come out and say something similar.

Maybe they can use this opportunity to completely redesign that flag -and I don't just mean removing the Confederate battle flag, but to get rid of the current design altogether. 

Perhaps they can find some way to incorporate the cotton bolls of the state seal, along with the state motto:

As well as the magnolia tree of the original state flag.

gespb19
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2015, 10:51:27 PM »

Speaker Gunn just said that the confederate emblem on the MS flag should be removed. He has no opposition, but wonder if any other GOPers will come out and say something similar.

Haley Barbour too. Like OMG.

Think it was nephew, Henry. Not Haley.
gespb19
United States

« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2015, 10:53:23 PM »

Gunn saying this means that candidates will have to take a stance on this issue. And the Neshoba County Fair is right around the corner. Buckle up.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2015, 12:01:55 AM »

Most will probably say that voters decided that when about 64% (including substantial percentge of Blacks) voted for this flag on referendum, and they can't override people's opinion)))
gespb19
United States

« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2015, 12:17:20 AM »

Most will probably say that voters decided that when about 64% (including substantial percentge of Blacks) voted for this flag on referendum, and they can't override people's opinion)))

Bryant has already said this (before Gunn's comments), of course many people who voted in that election 14 years ago are probably dead now.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #105 on: June 23, 2015, 12:19:29 AM »

Bryant has already said this (before Gunn's comments), of course many people who voted in that election 14 years ago are probably dead now.

Sure. But it still will be used as excuse...
gespb19
United States

« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2015, 12:21:35 AM »
« Edited: June 23, 2015, 12:23:59 AM by gespb19 »

I fully expect that to be the case. Just think it's a poor excuse.

BTW, hearing rumblings that Rep. Barker will call for a new flag tomorrow. Unlike Gunn, he does have competition in the GOP primary and in the general.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #107 on: June 23, 2015, 03:43:06 AM »

I fully expect that to be the case. Just think it's a poor excuse.

BTW, hearing rumblings that Rep. Barker will call for a new flag tomorrow. Unlike Gunn, he does have competition in the GOP primary and in the general.

Obviously - it's important whether a competition will be from the right or not..
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #108 on: June 23, 2015, 11:34:37 AM »

The most I can see coming from this - MS flag referendum 2k16!!

Or, if it moves quickly enough, could a flag question find its way onto the ballot in time for state elections this fall?
gespb19
United States

« Reply #109 on: June 23, 2015, 02:09:59 PM »

Result would be the same, just a closer margin this time around.

Also, the Clarion Ledger is now polling lawmakers on whether or not the state flag should be kept as is.
gespb19
United States

« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2015, 03:10:22 PM »

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/politics/2015/06/23/poll-lawmakers-change-mississippi-flag/29161437/
gespb19
United States

« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2015, 04:39:36 PM »

Current results of CL spreadsheet

House: 11 have responded

8 Yes (4 GOP, 4 Dem)
1 No (1 GOP)
1 Undecided (1 GOP)
1 refused to answer (1 GOP)

Senate: 11 have responded

8 Yes (7 Dem, 1 GOP)
1 No (1 GOP)
2 Undecided (1 GOP, 1 Dem)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #112 on: June 23, 2015, 08:52:02 PM »

I disagree. So much has changed since the last time we voted. The Confederate flag was "normal" then. It isn't now. Especially with a lot of Republican pols endorsing a change, I think Mississippi voters will remove it if we get the chance.
gespb19
United States

« Reply #113 on: June 23, 2015, 10:01:26 PM »

I disagree. So much has changed since the last time we voted. The Confederate flag was "normal" then. It isn't now. Especially with a lot of Republican pols endorsing a change, I think Mississippi voters will remove it if we get the chance.

Did you see Gunn's facebook page last night? Around 2k comments, most of which were attacking him for being anti-flag. Still think a lot of people are very attached to the flag, and you know that those people would turn out in droves if it was put up for another vote.
gespb19
United States

« Reply #114 on: June 24, 2015, 01:39:35 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2015, 01:47:28 PM by gespb19 »

Republicans who are yes on flag change, per Clarion-Ledger spreadsheet:

House: Mayo, Barker, Snowden, Gunn, DeLano
Senate: Tollison, Parker

Most haven't responded.
gespb19
United States

« Reply #115 on: June 24, 2015, 03:22:37 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2015, 03:25:33 PM by gespb19 »

Not state officials, but Wicker and Cochran have released statements saying that they support a new flag.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #116 on: June 24, 2015, 04:02:38 PM »

I hope that the state legislature opts to not redesign the flag chiefly for the reason that the alternate designed proposed in 2001 was simply awful.

A two-round referendum should be held.  The first vote should be a simple "yes" or "no" vote on whether the current state flag should continue to be used.  If "no" wins that vote, then a process should be implemented to allow for submissions for new flag design from citizens.  A committee selected by the legislature (but not composed of legislators) should narrow the pool down to 3-5 flag designs, and then those designs should be resubmitted to the people on a second ballot to choose which one the people of Mississippi want representing the state.  No state flag should be able to be adopted without at least 35% support from the electorate. 
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #117 on: June 27, 2015, 06:19:30 AM »

It's interesting, whether (and if so - how) recent Supreme court decisions on ACA and, especially, SSM, will influence an outcome of August and November elections. Despite both issues being essentially "solved' now, reaction of most Mississippi politicians was far from being positive: even Democratic AG Hood  seemed to be rather dissatisfied with the latter (not very surprising for typical "southern populist", BTW, they were always much more progressive on economy then on social issues). Personally i think the discussion of all that during primaries and general election will be heated...
gespb19
United States

« Reply #118 on: June 27, 2015, 02:44:06 PM »
« Edited: June 27, 2015, 02:46:05 PM by gespb19 »

I think Hood is just pandering to the rednecks. He has said multiple times that he supports SSM. Him coming out and saying that "gay marriages can't immediately take place in MS" is just him trying to appease the evangelicals.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #119 on: June 27, 2015, 04:10:25 PM »

My understanding (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that Hood is technically right, it's just that no one would ever actually win a challenge on those grounds.

I mean, it's really important that we reelect him this November over a Bryant drone, but he better not let this drag out more than a few days.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #120 on: June 28, 2015, 12:39:13 AM »

Thanks a lot! It's only slightly over 5 weeks before primary, and, most likely, nothing really electorally interesting before that, so - let's see how it's all will get played...
gespb19
United States

« Reply #121 on: June 28, 2015, 01:01:42 AM »

Thanks a lot! It's only slightly over 5 weeks before primary, and, most likely, nothing really electorally interesting before that, so - let's see how it's all will get played...

Well, the Neshoba County Fair is in late July, and is a huge event here in Mississippi. Pretty much all of the statewide candidates are speaking this year.

http://www.neshobacountyfair.org/politics.html
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #122 on: June 28, 2015, 01:20:36 AM »
« Edited: June 28, 2015, 01:29:26 AM by smoltchanov »

I see)))...... The full roster... And almost 3 times more "R" then "D"... Though 20-30 years ago it would be almost completely "D" with rare "R" in between. Even Scott Bounds was a Democrat (VERY conservative in REAL sense of this word, more so then even some Republicans, but still.....) less then decade ago...
gespb19
United States

« Reply #123 on: June 29, 2015, 03:15:51 PM »

A little news here, internal polling shows Will Longwitz up big against challenger Bill Billingsley in senate district 25 (North Jackson/South Madison, one of the "old money" areas of Mississippi). This poll could be BS, but this race was considered to be one of the high-profile primaries in August.

http://www.kingfish1935.blogspot.com/2015/06/longwitz-poll-shows-dominating-lead.html
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #124 on: July 05, 2015, 03:15:30 PM »

Report from the frontlines:  This weekend at the Jacinto Courthouse annual political speaking (which is the second-largest in the state) both Nick Bain and Lauren Childers looked very, very organized.  I'd be surprised if either one of them lost. 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies