Summary of political beliefs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:49:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 563263 times)
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« on: November 04, 2009, 04:46:25 PM »
« edited: November 04, 2009, 05:03:42 PM by Booker 2013! »

Social Issues

Abortion: I'm staunchly pro-choice. It's the mothers decision what she does with her body.
Church and state: Keep the two completely separate. If you want to follow a religion, follow it, you don't need the government to "enforce" or "endorse" a religion for you to do that. Get religion out of schools (replace "R.E." with something more productive), abolish state run schools which have religious affiliation.
Gay Marriage: Legalize
The Smoking Ban: Keep it and keep it as it is. There's no need to expand it or abolish it.
Euthanasia: Legalize it.
Prostitution: Illegal
Embryonic Stem Cell Research: I don't have a problem with it. The pros far outweigh any cons.
Immigration: I personally don't have a problem with the current system, although i'd support some stricter rules and regulations simply to put a stop to the rise of the far-right.

Economic Issues

Taxes: Tax cuts for those earning less than £150,000 a year
Welfare: Support
Healthcare: Increase funding for the NHS.
Education: Massively increase funding in education. As above, abolish religiously aligned schools. Encourage lessons to develop citizenship. Abolish tuition fees! Keep the Education Maintenance Allowance (E.M.A) and maybe extend the limit to £40,000 income to receive it. Make Sixth Form education compulsory.
Minimum Wage: Keep it and raise it.
Infrastructure: Introduce congestion charges in all major cities, but massively cut prices for public transport.
Energy Policy: Build more wind farms and put up solar panels. Take advantage of tidal power and other renewable resources.

Foreign Issues

European Union: Further intergrate with Europe although I oppose a federal "United States of Europe". Oh, and President Blair Cheesy
Iraq: Withdraw troops now. Blair was stupid for going along with GWB.
Afghanistan: Increase troop numbers there.
Military Involvement: Attack only if attacked or directly threatened. Don't blindly follow the US like with Iraq.
Military Budget: Cut it.

Domestic Issues

Devolution: Support the assemblies in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland as long as Scottish, Welsh and Northern Ireland MPs aren't allowed to vote on England-only matters OR form an English Parliment just for England issues and keep the current Houses of Parliment for UK-wide issues.
Scottish/Welsh Independance: Oppose! Keep the United Kingdom united.
Voting and elections: Keep the voting age at 18. Allow yearly referenda similar to the US state ballot questions/propositions etc. Keep the FPTP system. Give constituents the ability to re-call their MP. Democratically elect members of the House of Lords. Install a "registered voter" system similar to the US so that party members can elect their party leader.
Monarchy: Abolish it completely. Become the United Republic and let the public elect the head of state.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 12:17:20 PM »

Social Issues

Abortion: I'm staunchly pro-choice. It's the mothers decision what she does with her body.
Church and state: Keep the two completely separate. If you want to follow a religion, follow it, you don't need the government to "enforce" or "endorse" a religion for you to do that. Get religion out of schools (replace "R.E." with something more productive), abolish state run schools which have religious affiliation.
The Smoking Ban: Keep it and keep it as it is. There's no need to expand it or abolish it.
Embryonic Stem Cell Research: I don't have a problem with it. The pros far outweigh any cons.
Immigration: I personally don't have a problem with the current system, although i'd support some stricter rules and regulations simply to put a stop to the rise of the far-right. Maybe like the Australian system.

Economic Issues

Taxes: I favour the LibDems' approach to taxation.
Welfare state: Support it.
Education: Massively increase funding in education. As above, abolish religiously aligned schools. Encourage lessons to develop citizenship. Abolish tuition fees! Keep the Education Maintenance Allowance (E.M.A) and maybe extend the limit to £40,000 income to receive it. Make Sixth Form education compulsory. Abolish single-sex schools.
Infrastructure: Introduce congestion charges in all major cities, but massively cut prices for public transport.
Energy Policy: Build more wind farms and put up solar panels. Take advantage of tidal power and other renewable resources.

Foreign Issues

European Union: Further intergrate with Europe although I oppose a federal "United States of Europe".
Military Involvement: Attack only if attacked or directly threatened. Don't blindly follow the US like with Iraq.
Military Budget: CUTCUTCUT!

Domestic Issues

Devolution: Support the assemblies in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland as long as Scottish, Welsh and Northern Ireland MPs aren't allowed to vote on England-only matters OR form an English Parliment just for English issues and keep the current Houses of Parliament for UK-wide issues.
Voting and elections: Keep the voting age at 18. Introduce a Proportional Representation electoral system, similar to the German system. NOT AV. Give constituents the ability to re-call their MP. Democratically elect members 100% of the House of Lords, no appointments or hereditary peers or bishops or anyone who isn't accountable to an electorate. Allow party members to elect their party's leader.
Monarchy: Abolish it completely. Become the United Republic and let the public elect the head of state.

Changes in italics.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 12:12:15 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2010, 12:29:04 PM by Vote Yellow, Get Blue »

However, increase the size of the Commons so for every 100,000 people in Britain, there is a representative.

!!!

The Commons is already huge.

If there was an MP to every 100,000 people, that'd be 440 MPs for 44,000,000 eligible voters, so the commons would actually lose 210 MPs...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 07:35:32 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2010, 07:37:27 PM by Refudiate »

Social Issues

Church and state: Keep the two completely separate. If you want to follow a religion, follow it, you don't need the government to "enforce" or "endorse" a religion for you to do that. Get religion out of schools (replace "R.E." with something more productive), abolish state run schools which have religious affiliation. Get rid of the Lords Spiritual.
Immigration: I personally don't have a problem with the current system, although i'd support some stricter rules and regulations simply to put a stop to the rise of the far-right. Maybe like the Australian system.
Fox hunting: Keep it banned, obviously.

Economic Issues

Taxes: I favour the LibDems' approach to taxation. Hardline progressive taxation
Welfare state: Support it.
Education: Massively increase funding in education. As above, abolish religiously aligned schools. Encourage lessons to develop citizenship. Abolish tuition fees! Keep tuition fees at a current rate and freeze the cost to students over the lifetime of the parliament. Keep the Education Maintenance Allowance (E.M.A) and maybe extend the limit to £40,000 income to receive it. Make Sixth Form education compulsory. Abolish single-sex schools.

Foreign Issues

European Union: Further intergrate with Europe although I oppose a federal "United States of Europe". Stay in our current situation. Don't bail out Ireland, we can't afford it apparently. Don't join the Euro.

Constitutional Issues

Devolution: Support the assemblies in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland as long as Scottish, Welsh and Northern Ireland MPs aren't allowed to vote on England-only matters OR form an English Parliment just for English issues and keep the current Houses of Parliament for UK-wide issues.
Voting and elections: Keep the voting age at 18. Introduce a Proportional Representation electoral system, similar to the German system. NOT AV. Give constituents the ability to re-call their MP.
House of Lords: Democratically elect members 100% of the House of Lords, no appointments or hereditary peers or bishops or anyone who isn't accountable to an electorate. Allow party members to elect their party's leader, Labour should keep its electoral system, but the party leader (whether in government or opposition) should be subjected to a confidence vote by the PLP upon election and every year there after.
Monarchy: Abolish it completely. Become the United Republic and let the public elect the head of state. William and Kate shouldn't be given a penny of taxpayers money to pay for their wedding.
Fixed terms: Stupid idea.

Changes in italics.
Changes in italics.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 11:34:01 AM »

Glad to see you're moving towards a saner EU policy Smiley Wink

The whole "500,000 jobs to go, but we still have enough for Ireland" thing has really got to me.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 06:54:43 PM »

Social Issues

Church and state: Keep the two completely separate. If you want to follow a religion, follow it, you don't need the government to "enforce" or "endorse" a religion for you to do that. Get religion out of schools (replace "R.E." with something more productive), abolish state run schools which have religious affiliation. Get rid of the Lords Spiritual.
Fox hunting: Keep it banned, obviously.

Economic Issues

Taxes: I favour the LibDems' approach to taxation. Hardline progressive taxation. Cut VAT to 15% to stimulate consumer spending and to renew consumer confidence.
Welfare state: Support it. Expand it. Invest in it.
Healthcare: Increase funding for the NHS. No "competition" in the health service.
Education: Massively increase funding in education. As above, abolish religiously aligned schools. Encourage lessons to develop citizenship. Abolish tuition fees! Keep tuition fees at a current rate (as of 2011-12) and freeze the cost to students over the lifetime of the parliament. Keep the Education Maintenance Allowance (E.M.A) and maybe extend the limit to £40,000 income to receive it. Make Sixth Form education compulsory. Abolish single-sex schools. Abolish faith schools.
Infrastructure: Introduce congestion charges in all major cities, but massively cut prices for public transport. Nationalise railways.
Energy Policy: Invest in nuclear power - it's clean, it's powerful - we just need to research into ways to improve safety. Build more wind farms and put up solar panels. Take advantage of tidal power and other renewable resources.

Foreign Issues

European Union: Further intergrate with Europe although I oppose a federal "United States of Europe". Stay in our current situation. The single currency has failed the European people, go back to pre-Euro situation. It's more than clear that the Union needs more accountability. Oppose expansion until the EU has weathed the current storm, but i'd be open to it afterwards.
Military Involvement: Attack only if attacked or directly threatened. Don't blindly follow the US like with Iraq. Get out of Libya.

Constitutional Issues

Devolution: Support the assemblies in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland as long as Scottish, Welsh and Northern Ireland MPs aren't allowed to vote on England-only matters OR form an English Parliment just for English issues and keep the current Houses of Parliament for UK-wide issues.. Establish regional assemblies (North West, North East, Anglia, etc).
Scottish/Welsh Independance: Oppose! Keep the United Kingdom united. I could never support the nationalist government in Scotland, although I suppose it's not my place.
Voting and elections: Keep the voting age at 18. Introduce an Additional Member or an AV+ system. NOT AV. Give constituents the ability to re-call their MP.
House of Lords: Democratically elect members 100% of the House of Lords, no appointments or hereditary peers or bishops or anyone who isn't accountable to an electorate. Allow party members to elect their party's leader, Labour should keep its electoral system, but the party leader (whether in government or opposition) should be subjected to a confidence vote by the PLP upon election and every year there after.
Fixed terms: Stupid idea.

Changes in italics.
Changes in italics.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies