Does Bitcoin have any logical legal use? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:10:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Does Bitcoin have any logical legal use? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Does Bitcoin have any logical legal use?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Does Bitcoin have any logical legal use?  (Read 1632 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: March 04, 2014, 10:37:37 AM »

I only first heard of this about a year ago.  I'd read it in print and thought it was named after some french guy.  In my head I pronounced it "Bitcoin" (as in bee-kwan).  Later I heard of it on a public radio story about Silk Road and began to understand the term's etymology.  Then I felt stupid.

Once I understood it I thought it seemed legit, but now with the meltdown and no real legal recourse for the investors I think it seems like bad money.  Maybe once they get the software thoroughly beta-tested, it'll be smooth.  Right now it's like the Chevy Volt, or the common-core standards for public school curricula.  Reasonably good idea; bad implementation.  Apparently volatility is an issue as well, and will continue to be even if the vanishing acts stop.

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 03:42:41 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2014, 07:03:03 PM by angus »

Bitcoin got some positive press on public radio this morning.  Well, at least non-negative.  Some venture capitalists were being interviewed and I overheard one saying that maybe it's time for bitcoin to "shed its wild and crazy libertarian past and accept regulation."  Or something like that.  Another one was talking about what a sound investment it is going to prove to be.

They also disclosed the name of the bitcoin founder, who I'd never heard of before.  His name is Nakamoto, a name which sort of makes me laugh, and sort of reminds me of the special fold that all really good paper airplanes have.  Anyway, Nakamoto is denying the claim.  I suppose that he also denies drinking PBR and wearing a fedora purchased at the Salvation Army Store.  

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies