NE: Confirmation of Averroes Nix as CJO (Confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:43:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE: Confirmation of Averroes Nix as CJO (Confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE: Confirmation of Averroes Nix as CJO (Confirmed)  (Read 891 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 02, 2014, 11:00:56 PM »
« edited: March 08, 2014, 12:57:13 AM by cinyc »

Governor Dallasfan65 has nominated Averroes Nix as the next Northeast Chief Judicial Officer.  This appointment needs to be confirmed by the Assembly.  This will serve as the independent hearing thread for the nominee, as required by the SOAP.

Debate on the nomination and questioning of the nominee will extend for at least 72 hours, or until around 11PM on Wednesday, March 5, unless shortened or extended by a motion of a Representative.

I will pm the nominee to ask if he wishes to make an opening statement.  Otherwise, questioning of Averroes Nix could commence immediately.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 11:20:38 PM »

With your signature and Governor Dallasfan's support, you already earned my vote.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 11:23:04 PM »

If my advocate for my nominee:

I selected Averroes Nix because he has a long and distinguished record of public service. In his time in Atlasia, Nix has served as Governor of the Northeast, its regional Senator, et cetera. I'm not about to recite information that you can find on the wiki.

However, what I will say is that Nix has been a competent public official, and a good steward not only of the Northeast, but also Atlasia as a whole. I have no doubt that he will be a good Chief Judicial Officer. Funnily enough, Nix actually appointed me to this position back in 2012, so in a way this has come full circle.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 11:42:15 PM »

Question: Recently, Northeast governors have been opening and closing voting booths and counting the ballots in Northeast elections.  But under Article IV, Section 5 of the Fourth Northeast Constitution, "The Chief Judicial Officer is responsible for the opening of polling booths," and the Governor or Lt. Governor can open a booth if the CJO doesn't.  Do you plan on opening Northeast voting booths or letting the governor do so, as per current tradition?  Also, how knowledgeable are you in counting for PR-STV elections?

Thank you.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 08:40:30 PM »

As usual, we once again sacrifice a great Northeasterner to the office of CJO.  Nix has my support Sad
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 08:52:40 PM »

Nix has my full support
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 09:00:05 PM »

As usual, we once again sacrifice a great Northeasterner to the office of CJO.  Nix has my support Sad

Are you protesting the CJO position?
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 10:23:41 PM »

Indeed I am.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 12:22:04 AM »

Indeed I am.

Ehhh I would like to hear more but I am inclined to disagree off the bat because its not a role that requires any sort of consistent activity.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 11:59:44 AM »

Indeed I am.

Ehhh I would like to hear more but I am inclined to disagree off the bat because its not a role that requires any sort of consistent activity.

Which is why, I'd assume, Cinci doesn't like the CJO (at least in its minimalist form of just hearing the occasional case), because it leads to someone as active as Nix being confined to a small job.

Regardless, I'm sure Nix will make a great CJO.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 05:31:49 PM »

The CJO is a necessary post.  The Northeast needs a decider in legal disputes.  And, contrary to recent practice, the CJO is supposed to run Northeast elections, which ensures that we have an impartial elections official counting the votes.

I will support Averroes Nix's nomination to this necessary post.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 06:10:58 PM »

The CJO is a necessary post.  The Northeast needs a decider in legal disputes.  And, contrary to recent practice, the CJO is supposed to run Northeast elections, which ensures that we have an impartial elections official counting the votes.

I will support Averroes Nix's nomination to this necessary post.

It's not as if we can't appoint special council for legal disputes.  In this case, as Nix would probably do nothing if CJO didn't exist, I see a purpose.  However, this stringent necesity for the CJO position is flawed.  You were CJO, and are much more useful as a Representative.  Dallasfan just resigned the position, and will be so much more useful as Governor. 

Nix is coming off a Presidential term and GM term, and frankly, is overqualified for an appointed position that both reduces much need potential legislative candidates, and serves no real purpose that can't or hasn't been delegated elsewhere.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 07:28:03 AM »

@Cinci -  Maybe Averroes wants lowkey after being Pres and GM? Maybe its a nice break for him? Tongue
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 04:26:07 PM »

@Cinci -  Maybe Averroes wants lowkey after being Pres and GM? Maybe its a nice break for him? Tongue

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Thus my explicit mention Tongue
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 11:43:17 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2014, 11:46:37 PM by cinyc »

The debate and question period is now over.  It is time to vote on whether to confirm the nominee as CJO.

This vote will remain open for 48 hours.  Unlike for legislation, there is no provision in the SOAP to cut off the voting period when all Representatives have voted.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 11:43:58 PM »

Aye
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 12:19:18 AM »

Aye
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 11:24:32 AM »

Aye
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2014, 02:10:07 PM »

Aye
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2014, 02:52:32 PM »

Aye
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 02:55:05 PM »

NYNYNYNYNYNYNYNYNYNYNY
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2014, 04:42:35 PM »

We currently have 5 ayes for confirmation and all Representatives have voted.  But under the SOAP, I can't close a confirmation vote until 48 hours have passed, i.e. tomorrow at around 11:45PM.  There is no SOAP provision for closing a confirmation vote when all Representatives have voted.  So I guess in the unlikely event anyone wants to change their vote, they still have time to do so.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2014, 12:56:56 AM »

By a 5-0 vote, the Averroes Nix is confirmed as Northeast Chief Judicial Officer.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies