Should homosexuals in Uganda be eligible for asylum in the US?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:02:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should homosexuals in Uganda be eligible for asylum in the US?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Should homosexuals in Uganda be eligible for asylum in the US?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 80

Author Topic: Should homosexuals in Uganda be eligible for asylum in the US?  (Read 7987 times)
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2014, 11:53:20 PM »

So most of you think Ugandan immigrants that are homosexuals should be thrown in the nut house? And not only Ungandans, but everyone else as well?

This must be a joke.

Well, they say homosexuality is a mental illness.
Not anymore.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2014, 12:23:09 AM »

I'll support this if we start giving Christians fleeing persecution asylum. It goes both ways. Otherwise NOT a chance.

I stand with the German Christians who want to homeschool their kids without fear of governmental retaliation.

People who want to homeschool their children are lunatics.

I suppose it wouldn't be a proper Atlas thread without a bit of casual bigotry against socons.

Indeed. And this is on of those cases where I count as a socon. Tongue
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2014, 01:37:56 AM »

I'll support this if we start giving Christians fleeing persecution asylum. It goes both ways. Otherwise NOT a chance.

I stand with the German Christians who want to homeschool their kids without fear of governmental retaliation.

Yes, because homeschooling fanatics are TOTALLY the same as people who are beaten to death for their sexuality. Sure.

If you had ended that with a point about the Syrian Christians, then you would've had a good point. The homeschooling types? Not a chance.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2014, 01:40:17 AM »

I suppose it wouldn't be a proper Atlas thread without a bit of casual bigotry against socons.

And speaking specifically of your socon views, I don't think you know what bigotry is.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2014, 01:53:40 AM »

Yes; this is a much less punitive solution than cutting off aid, at least in the short term.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2014, 02:22:39 AM »

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2014, 03:59:41 AM »

So when did Germany outlaw Christianity on pain of death?

I'm talking about a parents right to decide how their children are educated without fear of governmental retaliation.

What exactly do you mean by "retaliation"? Parents have an obligation to send their children to a school (which, by the way, needn't be a public school, although you'd be stupid not to use the public school system). If this is not done, a crime is being committed, because thankfully, the law is constructed in the best interests of children and their education, not the lunatics who "disagree" with evolution (who aren't very numerous here, as I only seem to hear about this issue from idiot evangelicals in America like you).
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2014, 05:32:29 PM »

So when did Germany outlaw Christianity on pain of death?

I'm talking about a parents right to decide how their children are educated without fear of governmental retaliation.

What exactly do you mean by "retaliation"? Parents have an obligation to send their children to a school (which, by the way, needn't be a public school, although you'd be stupid not to use the public school system). If this is not done, a crime is being committed, because thankfully, the law is constructed in the best interests of children and their education, not the lunatics who "disagree" with evolution (who aren't very numerous here, as I only seem to hear about this issue from idiot evangelicals in America like you).

We get it we get it. Error has no rights.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2014, 05:35:14 PM »

And speaking specifically of your socon views, I don't think you know what bigotry is.

TNF wants to make it illegal to educate one's children outside of the public school system. Seems pretty bigoted according to Oxford.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2014, 05:54:09 PM »

Yes, because homeschooling fanatics are TOTALLY the same as people who are beaten to death for their sexuality. Sure.

If you had ended that with a point about the Syrian Christians, then you would've had a good point. The homeschooling types? Not a chance.

I stand with the Syrian Christians as well so I have an excellent point. I'm an evangelical yes but far from an idiot Franzi.

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2014, 06:22:49 PM »
« Edited: March 04, 2014, 06:31:43 PM by Midwest Governor windjammer »

You're not Catholic? And Franzl isn't catholic too?

I stand with the Syrian Christians as well so I have an excellent point. I'm an evangelical yes but far from an idiot Franzi.

You're not catholic JCL? And I thought that Franzl was catholic too!
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2014, 06:29:29 PM »

You don't have to be a socon to want to homeschool your children. 

Anyway, I have always considered it a fundamental human right and am glad to live in a country that allows it. If it was forbidden I would definetly consider it a violation of my rights. Mandatory education is one thing, mandatory schooling is a different matter.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2014, 06:31:31 PM »

Agreed
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2014, 06:41:06 PM »

In all seriousness now that others have joined in that aren't as....special...as JCL, I accept arguments in favor of a homeschooling option, although except in very rare cases, I disagree that it should be available. I don't think it's reasonable to view it as a fundamental human right equivalent to freedom of speech or the like.
That said, the motives behind it probably make a difference, as the American fundies that go on about it are probably the most incapable of making sure their children are properly educated.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2014, 06:43:55 PM »

Yes, but my point is that you ended your comment with a emotional plea towards the homeschoolers, rather then the Syrian Christians, who face far worse persecution than the homeschoolers. The LGBT crowd in Uganda and the Christians in Syria face a more comparable amount of persecution than the homeschoolers. Do you see what I mean?

As for homeschooling, I was homeschooled for a year, and I don't want it to be banned, but I also don't see what's so special about it. If you're an attentive parent, you'll express your views to your child just as effectively if they're in public school (or a charter school) than with homeschooling.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2014, 06:53:17 PM »

Anyway, I have always considered it a fundamental human right and am glad to live in a country that allows it. If it was forbidden I would definetly consider it a violation of my rights. Mandatory education is one thing, mandatory schooling is a different matter.

Your "right" to brainwash a child does not override that child's actual right to a proper education.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2014, 06:59:45 PM »

Your "right" to brainwash a child does not override that child's actual right to a proper education.

Seriously. What a ridiculous idea of "fundamental human rights."
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2014, 07:04:13 PM »

TNF wants to make it illegal to educate one's children outside of the public school system. Seems pretty bigoted according to Oxford.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Given the progeny Oxford has produced, should we allow them to discuss social issues?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2014, 10:27:33 PM »

Brainwashing is in the eye of the beholder.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2014, 10:41:40 PM »

Homeschooling is not brainwashing your kid, a lot of kids get homeschooled because of terrible situations at school, some do it because they think they can give their child a better education than the school. Kids still have to enroll in state-required classes, but they don't have to go anywhere to do that.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2014, 12:16:31 AM »

To add to what I said before, we should welcome in all the world's persecuted homosexuals, and expel all the jackboots who want to ban homeschooling.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies