Poll: 51% of Americans think gay sex is morally wrong
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:50:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Poll: 51% of Americans think gay sex is morally wrong
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Poll: 51% of Americans think gay sex is morally wrong  (Read 9505 times)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2014, 06:45:48 AM »

So wrong, but mmmmmmmmm, so good!

Please stop before you make me homophobic. Tongue

But surprising/disappointing results.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2014, 08:00:34 AM »

Here's a Gallup poll from last year in which 59% of Americans said that "gay or lesbian relations" was morally OK.  Of course, putting the word "sex" in the question, as well as other details of question wording, might skew the current poll more towards the "anti" position:

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2014, 10:35:55 AM »

No love for affairs during marriage huh?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2014, 10:40:33 AM »

Marriage itself is broken, I'll admit.

I think both parties need to focus on helping rebuild the American family. It really does matter.

I've seen so many young people in America who are constantly in trouble, pounding on their walls, buying drugs off the street, having the cops over again and again, and the main reason it goes unabated is because the mother is a single parent who cannot be home 24/7. Do you think that if a father figure was around half of this stuff would go on? No way in hell. The breakup of the family matters. The fact that liberals claim to want to help people and ignore such a drastic and fundamental breakdown of American tradition shows that they only care about pandering to slim minorities for the hope of votes in national elections.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2014, 11:08:22 AM »

I think both parties need to focus on helping rebuild the American family. It really does matter.

I've seen so many young people in America who are constantly in trouble, pounding on their walls, buying drugs off the street, having the cops over again and again, and the main reason it goes unabated is because the mother is a single parent who cannot be home 24/7. Do you think that if a father figure was around half of this stuff would go on? No way in hell. The breakup of the family matters. The fact that liberals claim to want to help people and ignore such a drastic and fundamental breakdown of American tradition shows that they only care about pandering to slim minorities for the hope of votes in national elections.

Which is why youth crime has gone down along with the percentage of nuclear families?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2014, 11:11:39 AM »

Which is why youth crime has gone down along with the percentage of nuclear families?

Are you advocating the breakup of the American family?
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2014, 11:47:08 AM »

I, for one, view heterosexual sex as wrong.

I mean, why would you even go there?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2014, 11:56:39 AM »

I, for one, view heterosexual sex as wrong.

I mean, why would you even go there?

Too many flaps.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2014, 12:00:58 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2014, 06:58:33 AM by Snowstalker »

No, but if you're going to argue that increased youth crime is caused by the breakup of the nuclear family, you should at least check if youth crime has increased.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2014, 12:12:59 PM »

No one has to advocate the breakup of the American family, when one considers that traditional family structures passed their natural expiration date sometime in the early 1970s, and that we are for the most part, living in a post-nuclear family society. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course. The family evolved for specific societal reasons, one of which was to ensure survival in a hostile economic environment. As those conditions changed, so did the need for traditional family structures with an authoritarian father, passive mother and fully obedient children. And of course I should also note here that the idea of the nuclear family as the normal and only way to raise children is itself kind of a recent invention, buttressed by tax incentives and Cold War propaganda more than anything else.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2014, 12:15:55 PM »

Naso, how can government "rebuild the American family" without becoming too involved in people's personal lives, anyway?  The only feasible way of doing that is restructuring the country's economic policies so that women can spend more time at home with their children, but conservatives haven't moved much on that, ever.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2014, 12:34:32 PM »

Naso, how can government "rebuild the American family" without becoming too involved in people's personal lives, anyway?  The only feasible way of doing that is restructuring the country's economic policies so that women can spend more time at home with their children, but conservatives haven't moved much on that, ever.

Why is this a desirable goal? Women should be allowed to pursue whatever they want to pursue, be it waged work or unwaged work in the home (for which they should be compensated, perhaps in the form of a universal basic income), as should men. Beyond that, though, I doubt that even restoring the level of social mobility and flattening inequality like we did during the Great Compression would lead to more women opting for a life of domesticity. On the contrary, it might lead to more men opting for domesticity, as women are now the primary breadwinner in 4 out of 10 homes. It would of course depend on what policies are adopted, but in the end, you're not going to get those policies out of conservatives aligned with capital, who frankly don't want women not to work because that would drive cheap labor (since women get paid less than men on the whole) out of the workforce and may force them to raise wages overall.

The best solution of course is to simply accept that women are always going to work (and they always have, middle class myth to the contrary) and to make sure that when they're working, they're getting wage parity (so as to deny capital a constant and steady supply of cheap labor), they are given adequate protection from being harassed by male managers, administrators, and co-workers; that they are given equal chances at promotion or involved directly in decision-making as any man would be, and that they are given ample paid time off for sickness and to help raise a child (and men should be given paid time off for both, as well, of course). We came close to creating a national daycare program in the 1970s, and that's another thing we need to revisit, as well.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2014, 12:57:33 PM »

TNF, I wasn't trying to suggest that only women should be allowed to stay at home with their kids.  I think that, generally speaking, children are better off with at least one parent who can be with them most of the time.  Gender need not play a role as long as working conditions for men and women are equal.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2014, 01:04:22 PM »

They should have asked about lesbian sex separately.

Only in the US would this be an issue. In other countries, people who detest homosexuality detest gay men and gay women equally.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2014, 01:08:46 PM »

They should have asked about lesbian sex separately.

Only in the US would this be an issue. In other countries, people who detest homosexuality detest gay men and gay women equally.

Not really. In fact, the US (and much of the modern west) is remarkable in its conflation, culturally speaking, of male and female homosexuality.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2014, 11:04:03 PM »

Not that surprising. I've met people with very strong Les-Bi-Tran-Gay ties who woefully admit that it goes against "nature". IE, homosexual sex doesn't result in conception.

Those self-loathing people probably have grown up hearing propaganda from their religious institutions, their parents, and their peers that their natural inclinations are immoral. It takes a lot to overcome all that trauma.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2014, 11:09:19 PM »

Personally, I doubt a poll on the morality of gay sex done by the "Public RELIGION Research Institute". There is a clear conflict of interest.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2014, 12:00:59 AM »

Personally, I doubt a poll on the morality of gay sex done by the "Public RELIGION Research Institute". There is a clear conflict of interest.

There's a conflict of interest between studying religious beliefs and studying beliefs about homosexuality? 
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2014, 07:27:56 PM »

It's actually pretty fun if you try it...
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2014, 07:56:17 PM »

What's so fun about thinking something is wrong?  Personally, I'm much happier when I think about how things are right.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2014, 09:49:31 PM »

What's so fun about thinking something is wrong?  Personally, I'm much happier when I think about how things are right.

Smartass. But we all can agree that getting laid is awesome, right?
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2014, 10:05:42 PM »

Smartass. But we all can agree that getting laid is awesome, right?
I've recently learned that getting laid is transmisogynistic, so no.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2014, 10:15:07 PM »

The phrase "getting laid" is discriminatory towards paraplegics.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2014, 11:01:06 PM »

We can't be happy during sex?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2014, 12:18:42 AM »

I have other little habits where I would poll worse. Tongue But then, I don't run my life based on polls. I'm sane - I think.  Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies