Poll: 51% of Americans think gay sex is morally wrong
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:56:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Poll: 51% of Americans think gay sex is morally wrong
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Poll: 51% of Americans think gay sex is morally wrong  (Read 9509 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2014, 06:15:56 PM »

Prudery is still so damn rampant in America that I'm shocked this number is not higher. 
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2014, 11:58:18 PM »

How many of those Americans think straight sex is wrong (but biologically necessary)?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2014, 11:51:01 AM »

No, you must suffer for having dirty thoughts. The Liberal-Conservative Prude Brood Alliance agrees. Fun is immoral and/or oppressive.
Link
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2014, 02:13:12 PM »

Are there really that many fundies? Strange.

Is that what we are calling Christians, Jews, and Muslims now?

And 100% of Bibles say homosexuality is a sin.

So that math looks about right to me.  What am I missing here?

How many of those Americans think straight sex is wrong (but biologically necessary)?

Probably all of them and then some.  I'm pretty sure they will tell you adultery and fornication are sins as well.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2014, 04:54:47 PM »

Good lord America  Undecided
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2014, 10:03:03 PM »

Improper use of terminology is the greatest scourge of our time.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2014, 10:39:42 PM »

Where did Alfred suggest that all people of faith are fundies?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2014, 11:12:32 PM »

Why do so many people love taking joy from others?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2014, 11:15:17 PM »

Why do so many people love taking joy from others?

They are psychopaths?
Link
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2014, 09:57:42 AM »

He is speaking in generalities and I am speaking in generalities.  Look at the math that was posted.  The OP says 51% of Americans think gay sex is immoral.  That is the majority of people with Judeo Christian beliefs.  That is not all but most.  In fact that is most of the people in the United States.

The thing is if you are above a certain age and spent time going to Bible study, Church or theological school you would know that it is not controversial within Judeo Christian beliefs to say homosexuality is a sin.  The Bible is pretty clear on that point.

The reaction by people in this thread is why we miscalculated Iraq and Afghanistan as well as a host of other places.  People ignore the ample evidence that conflicts with their desired version of reality.  If someone disagrees with them they dismiss them as crazies or "fundies."  People aren't even willing to do thoughtful realistic analysis of the cultural and religious aspects of America... how can they hope to understand places like Iraq or Afghanistan?

Reconciling the Bible and modern acceptance of homosexuality is a tough thing for the majority of Americans.  A bunch of adolescents sitting around and calling the majority of Americans "fundies" because they are struggling to reconcile their upbringing and culture with modern reality is the type of thing that makes me realize we really shouldn't go around messing with other countries.  If we are that ignorant about our next door neighbors lord knows what we don't know about cultures half way around the world.

Frankly I would have thought the percentage would have been higher.  My personal theory is people are beginning to know the right answer to these types of questions regardless of what is in their heart or mind.  Which isn't a bad thing.  It's a step on the road to détente.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2014, 03:26:30 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2014, 04:39:22 PM by Speaker Scott »

So that math looks about right to me.  What am I missing here?

He is speaking in generalities and I am speaking in generalities.  Look at the math that was posted.  The OP says 51% of Americans think gay sex is immoral.  That is the majority of people with Judeo Christian beliefs.  That is not all but most.  In fact that is most of the people in the United States.

The thing is if you are above a certain age and spent time going to Bible study, Church or theological school you would know that it is not controversial within Judeo Christian beliefs to say homosexuality is a sin.  The Bible is pretty clear on that point.

The reaction by people in this thread is why we miscalculated Iraq and Afghanistan as well as a host of other places.  People ignore the ample evidence that conflicts with their desired version of reality.  If someone disagrees with them they dismiss them as crazies or "fundies."  People aren't even willing to do thoughtful realistic analysis of the cultural and religious aspects of America... how can they hope to understand places like Iraq or Afghanistan?

Reconciling the Bible and modern acceptance of homosexuality is a tough thing for the majority of Americans.  A bunch of adolescents sitting around and calling the majority of Americans "fundies" because they are struggling to reconcile their upbringing and culture with modern reality is the type of thing that makes me realize we really shouldn't go around messing with other countries.  If we are that ignorant about our next door neighbors lord knows what we don't know about cultures half way around the world.

Frankly I would have thought the percentage would have been higher.  My personal theory is people are beginning to know the right answer to these types of questions regardless of what is in their heart or mind.  Which isn't a bad thing.  It's a step on the road to détente.

That's really interesting, Link.  I'm at my church, in most cases, at least three times a week for Sunday services, Bible studies, and volunteer work.  I have read the entire Bible cover to cover and I dedicate much of my time specifically to expanding my knowledge on theological issues within the Church.  I'm attending seminary after my first four years of college so that I may hopefully be ordained in my church.  I pray almost every day.  Am I somehow not a subscriber to Judeo Christian beliefs because I don't think homosexuality is a sin or dispute the idea that the Bible is as clear as people think on certain topics?

To people who don't believe you can moralize sex between two consenting adults, yes, the notion of homosexuality being 'sinful' is strange to us.  The statistic indicates that there are many people who continue to ignore fundamental epistemology.  That is, they take the Word at face-value, not going beyond its historical context or learning alternative methods of understanding Scripture that appear to have faded in the background until they are left with a "clear" message of God's Word that is not to be questioned or further explored.  "Fundamentalist" need not be used as an insult, but it is a label that should be applied to those who take the Word literally or understand the teachings of the Bible as a binding legal contract.  Most of that is rooted in pure ignorance, which is not surprising given how one side of the religion issue has dominated the conversation since the 1980s, but that does not change the nature of its approach.

Regardless, you're not proving a point by posting a chart showing how people prefer to be labeled.  You cannot use "fundie" as a synonym for Christian, Jew, or Muslim just as you cannot put everyone in their own little box.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2014, 04:12:25 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2014, 05:37:34 PM »

So that math looks about right to me.  What am I missing here?

That's really interesting, Link.  I'm at my church, in most cases, at least three times a week for Sunday services, Bible studies, and volunteer work.  I have read the entire Bible cover to cover and I dedicate much of my time specifically to expanding my knowledge on theological issues within the Church.  I'm attending seminary after my first four years of college so that I may hopefully be ordained in my church.  I pray almost every day.  Am I somehow not a subscriber to Judeo Christian beliefs because I don't think homosexuality is a sin or dispute the idea that the Bible is as clear as people think on certain topics?

To people who don't believe you can moralize sex between two consenting adults, yes, the notion of homosexuality being 'sinful' is strange to us.  The statistic indicates that there are many people who continue to ignore fundamental epistemology.  That is, they take the Word at face-value, not going beyond its historical context or learning alternative methods of understanding Scripture that appear to have faded in the background until they are left with a "clear" message of God's Word that is not to be questioned or further explored.  "Fundamentalist" need not be used as an insult, but it is a label that should be applied to those who take the Word literally or understand the teachings of the Bible as a binding legal contract.  Most of that is rooted in pure ignorance, which is not surprising given how one side of the religion issue has dominated the conversation since the 1980s, but that does not change the nature of its approach.

Regardless, you're not proving a point by posting a chart showing how people prefer to be labeled.  You cannot use "fundie" as a synonym for Christian, Jew, or Muslim just as you cannot put everyone in their own little box.

To add to this, the idea that religion and science are  at their core, concerned with precisely the  same domains of human experience, reality, and knowledge, and that they are therefore, irreconcilable, makes sense only if you are either a religious fundamentalist, or an adherent of extreme Positivism ("scientism"). It is unfortunate-but I believe, true- that the absolutist, either/or controversy on all kinds of issues re: science and religion in contemporary societies (particularly American society, but not limited to it-although it manifests itself differently in different places and at different points in time, etc.) can be traced to this simplistic, reductionist way of thinking.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2014, 08:51:45 AM »

This is only a problem for those that wish to impose their morality on the remainder of the population. The poll doesn't even specifically define "gay sex". That could include a number of possibilities, especially depending on whether it's a two men or two women. If I had to guess, anal sex probably has the highest number for immorality. However, as already mentioned, it's likely that a significant number of Americans find sex for recreation/pleasure (as opposed to reproduction) to be an immoral act regardless of sexual orientation.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies