The Flipping Mormon
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:09:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Flipping Mormon
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Flipping Mormon  (Read 7398 times)
Potus
Potus2036

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 03, 2014, 11:03:58 PM »
« edited: March 03, 2014, 11:09:12 PM by Assemblyman Riley Keaton »

The Flipping Mormon

MITT ROMNEY HAS TAKEN "THE KENNEDY SEAT" 50-49
Dan Rather: We're just receiving word that something historic has happened. The seat in the United States Senate that has not been out of Kennedy hands since John F Kennedy was in the Senate has just been won in a tight race, about 30,000 votes, by CEO of Bain Capital, Mitt Romney. We're going live to our local correspondent in Boston at the Romney Headquarters.

Correspondent: Thanks, Dan. The hotel reserved by the Romney's for tonight's celebration is absolutely jubilant. We expect Mr. Romney to be the winner of about one million ninety five thousand votes against Senator Kennedy's one million sixty thousand. It was a very hard-fought campaign. The Romney team said that they expected victory and, in fact, hadn't even prepared a concession speech! Dan, there will be- oh, excuse me. We're going live to the ballroom to listen to Mitt Romney declare victory. Let's watch.

Mitt Romney:

"My friends, moments ago, Senator Kennedy called to congratulate us on our truly historic campaign and concede his Senate seat. *cheers* Now, I know this campaign has been hard fought. I know that tensions have been high. And I know that division has settled in. Allow us now, in the face of great success, to be humbled. After tonight, we are no longer who we voted for. Tomorrow, we are not Republicans or Democrats, we are neighbors. We can take solace knowing that a majority of voters believe in Massachusetts. *cheers*

That is what we ran on, my friends. We ran on the belief that Massachusetts' deserves more than the same old same old Washington insider. We believe that by bringing change, and the entrepreneurial spirit to Washington, we can reinvigorate the dream that tomorrow can be better than today. We believe in Massachusetts, and we believe in America. *applause*

So let us go forth, my fellow citizens, and let us unite our great state. Reach out to your friends, neighbors, and families. Count your blessings. Keep being the best you can be, and sleep well knowing I'm going to be out there trying to make Washington the best it can be. Thank, good night and God bless!"

Shortly thereafter, Senator Kennedy delivered his concession speech. His concession contrasted with Senator-Elect Romney's uniting, hopeful victory speech. Many attribute Senator Kennedy's loss to his not only negative, but deeply angry tone following a very poor performance in the debates. Dwindling money forced his campaign to go dark in the weeks before the election, allowing Romney to capitalize on his victories in the debate. Kennedy warned in his concession that Republicans put the money they did into Massachusetts in order to halt universal healthcare and enrich their insurance bosses. Romney laid out a strong healthcare plan that won much praise from all sides. At one point during the final debate, Senator Kennedy claimed that electing Romney would doom universal healthcare. Romney pulled Kennedy into a spat on his healthcare plan. Kennedy seemed entirely uninformed, with the plan being laid out a week earlier accompanied by an ad blitz. While Romney debated the finer points of the proposal, Kennedy cut him off, booming into the microphone, "I haven't read it!" Senator Kennedy proceeded to fall an enormous 6 points in a race he was winning by 5.

Kennedy hinted at a comeback. And while Democratic circles mourned Kennedy's defeat and looked angrily at Romney, tonight was the Romney's night. And they were loving the spotlight.

Washington

Arriving a week after the Election, Mitt and Ann moved into a townhouse in Washington DC. The house was beautiful, but expensive, feeding into the "Richie Rich" perception of the Senator-Elect. Alongside the personal move and stresses of becoming Senator, Romney decided that his brand in Washington would be served well by recruiting a talented staff, many holdovers from the campaign, and also developing a large policy prescription to adopt as "Romney Territory."

Mitt set his now-former employees at Bain Capital, great talent-seekers, on finding him the most capable staff they could assemble.

Romney Press Release of Staff Hirings

Chief Of Staff: Beth Myers                                                      Campaign Holdover
Press Secretary: Kevin Madden                                             Campaign Holdover
Communications Director: Eric Fehrnstrom                            Campaign Holdover
Political Director: Spencer Zwick                                            Romney Friend
Policy Director: Nick Richmond                                               Bain Recruit
Legislative Director: Kiera Krites                                           Bain Recruit

Kevin Madden:

"Hello, my name is Kevin Madden, and this is my first briefing as Senator Romney's press secretary and let me tell you, I'm ready for it. This morning, I'll be fielding questions on the Romney's move to Washington. At noon, I'll answer questions regarding the transition. Tonight, you are all invited to the Romney's housewarming dinner. I have a note here, "We look forward to seeing. xMitt xAnn" Now, you, with the Post...."

And so it went. Mr. Fix-it and his new team settle into their new day-to-day lives in the Beltway. Little was Madden aware that Mitt was already crafting his premier policy proposal with the Bain recruits. Following the epic failure of Hillarycare, Romney(and the Bain recruits) thought it was time to go on offense with healthcare. It was in that transition office that Romneycare was born as federal legislation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me know what you all think. Post, PM, however. I hope you enjoy. The next update will probably be a Massachusetts Democratic Party-DNC-Kennedy autopsy of the election that explains really how Mitt won.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 01:28:58 AM »

What Went Wrong?

It was 3 weeks after election day. The Kennedy house seemed to have a constant, hanging sadness that made every sentence too laborious to complete. On that 3rd Tueday, today, Teddy was set to go visit with  top DNC officials and operatives from the state party. He got ready and went out that morning.

Teddy: Victoria, I'm about to go the headquarters. Do you need anything while I'm out?
Victoria: No, Edward, I just want you to be strong in there today. You ran hard. The other guy just lied his way around you. It wasn't you. It was that rich, self-entitled snake. Remember that.
Teddy: Yeah, I suppose. I'll see you this evening, dear.

Kennedy walked to the car, alone, and saw that it was low on gas. He didn't want the driver to go spouting off to the press about how much of an emotional trainwreck this was for him. So he put him on paid leave. He and Victoria would have to take to living normal American lives. That meant driving yourself places. Unfortunately, the car was low on gas. He made a normal stop at a gas station and filled up. He didn't even notice the press that snapped a few pictures before scurrying off. Teddy Kennedy, disheveled and pumping his own gas.

Teddy arrived at the headquarters. Soon-To-Be Chair of the DNC Chris Dodd was there already alongside State Chair Joan Menard.

Dodd: Morning, Senator.

Menard: Yes, good morning, Senator Kennedy.

Teddy: I'm not a Senator any longer. But, good morning nonetheless. Are we really going to go through everything that's happened to me in the last year?

Dodd: I'm afraid so. You have to look at this from my perspective, Ted. We were trying to hold the Senate. We hemorrhaged seats, I didn't expect to have to play defense for a Kennedy in Massachusetts. We didn't have the budget.

Menard: The state party had gone all in in securing the state government and congressional seats. You had personal wealth, star power, everything. We didn't have the money either.

Teddy: I'm well aware. So where do we begin?

Menard: I'll be handling the early part of the campaign, as it was a more state level affair. Romney was going to runaway with the Republican nomination. We had inkling of this in January and knew by March. While Romney prepared such a large, almost incumbent, campaign, we all sat on our asses and did nothing. Romney went on air in April. The ads in April were introductory, they were upbeat and positive and gave him a soft boost in his numbers.

Teddy: Then came the summer. I was brutally assaulted. They pushed millions into TV advertising to damage me and my reputation. The ads were outlandish, exaggerations of the truth!

Dodd: Therein lies the problem, Teddy. They weren't lies. They were just exaggerations. Believable ones, too.

Menard: Over the summer, the whole show changed. The slog was killing you because you were playing defense.

Teddy: I wasn't on defense! We slapped a million in ads on his brand of layoff-and-buyout brand of vulture capitalism! We skewered him for it!

Menard: The state party tested mailers in base areas that proved that the Bain attacks were effective, but not overwhelmingly so. Romney, however, played a great game of defense. It was all redirection.

Dodd: Teddy, remember that ad they ran of the single mom from Staples? She got up there and said all of these wonderful things Staples does for her, her 3 year old daughter, and their community. I thought it was a Staples ad until she said, "Staples wouldn't be here for me or my daughter if Mitt Romney hadn't turned it around. I wouldn't be able to put food on the table if it weren't for Mitt Romney. That's what Mitt'll do in Washington. I'm voting for Mitt. And you should too." That was POWERFUL stuff.

Menard: We focus grouped the Bain attacks after those series of ads ran. They were entirely ineffective. They did nothing to change voters minds.

And on it went. Arguing over what ads won, what ads lost. Who was right. Whether he lied. And whether the party had done enough during the summer. But later, after hours of conversation, they got to the killer. The debates.

Dodd: Teddy, I want to talk about the debates. What happened?

Teddy: Chris, debating the guy was like nailing Jello to the damned wall! I couldn't do it! In the first one, we held it within the margin of error. I said, "We'll do better next time." But before the next time, they'd sent stories about the car crash through the press so my time to speak was only on defense. I had to answer question after question on defense and my rebuttals were responses to his bullsh**t! I couldn't do it! It was frustrating!

Dodd: Teddy this is it. This is the Ted Kennedy that Massachusetts saw. This is why you lost. "I haven't read it," was just the straw that broke the camel's back. It fed the angry, angry image they had painted of you. You fed them.

Menard: Our candidates stopped requesting you speak for them because you'd get "insider" all over them. Your favorable's were underwater 10 points. 51-41 going into election day. You ran poorly.

Teddy: Don't pin this on me! I couldn't run an office let alone put up a television ad!......I need to calm down. It's over. We lost. I got shellacked on election day. We're done here.

There he was. The last Kennedy brother. Less than a month after a devastating defeat, he was walking out of a meeting with the state and DNC chair. He didn't believe it was him. He didn't believe it. This is where he was.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Romneys

The Christmas season was always a joy with the Romney family. It was that. Time with the Romney family. This year was different, being a new Senator and all. Madden sent out a morning email to his press contacts about the plans.

TO: -the press list-
CC: szwick@romney.com, efehr@romney.com
SUBJECT: Christmas Plans

Morning all,
     Mitt and Ann want you all up to Boston on either December 20th or December 29th for a get together, not unlike the housewarming dinner. (at Terry Hunt; Ann loved you.) Let me know by the day after tomorrow which is best for you all.

Onto business with the Christmas weeks:
     12/21:   from 9 to 2, the Senator is in the office. Standard stuff. Capitol office is closes. Work on political affairs until 5:30 when we get a treat of going home early.
     12/22:   Work from 9 to 3. Staff party day. Closed to press. Sorry guys.
     12/23:   Mitt, Ann, the boys work soup kitchen in Boston until 4. Dinner with the recipients thereafter.
     12/24-25 Family days.

Other stuff:
-Mitt's writing a total of $25,000 in charitable contributions the above week.
     1. $5,000 to the above soup kitchen.
     2. $10,000 to a school in inner city Boston.
     3. $7,000 to a brain cancer research institute.
     4. $3,000 to a Mormon missionary group in Africa.

That's all I've got for you this morning, folks.
                                                     -Kevin

Summary of Meeting Memo

To: Beth
Subject: Meeting Notes

The following notes were taken during a policy meeting between Kiera(myself) and Nick with the Senator to discuss healthcare reform:

1. High risk pools with actuarial-based vouchers.
2. Scrap employer health deduction, flat individual deduction for everyone, family.
3. Deduction is final, encourages frugality.
4. Preventative programs for employers.
5. Emphasis on HSA's to promote cost containment.
6. Medical malpractice reform.

You will be included in any further meetings.

A handwritten scrap of a note from Beth to Kiera

I should have been on the first one -Beth
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 01:47:06 AM »

Really good! Keep it up, I'll be reading this one.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 11:29:33 AM »

Yes, great start!!
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 11:34:58 AM »

Fantastic, great job!
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 01:52:10 PM »

The 104th

Mitt began played the role of moderate foil to an increasingly southern party. He was prepared to bring certain ideas from the Gingrich house to the center. When the Senate leadership called a meeting on the admittedly boring and unexciting Congressional Accountability Act, they were a bit surprised to have a freshman Senator with a penchant for big ideas on economic and fiscal issues show up and be actively engaged. Mitt co-sponsored the bill, it passed. Such was the way of things in the halls of the Senate. While Mitt made nice with Senators all over the political spectrum, his office toiled away at Romneycare. They were ready to start whipping pledges.

Romney: You know I'm not gonna ask the leadership to do that, Rob. Gingrich thinks I'm some limp-wristed Massachusetts moderate that would have voted for Hillarycare. He won't back it.

Portman: Mitt, it's a good...GREAT plan. It's everything we want. And the White House is going to come to the table. Newt wants something to inflict some damage on President Clinton. He is itching for a fight.

Krites: The Senator isn't looking for a fight, though, Congressman. It's my job to make sure it's not a fight. And Bain wouldn't have recommended my hire if I wasn't going to be good at it.

Zwick: I just got off the phone with the boys at Bain and they're ready to bundle for the Center for Healthcare Solutions the minute we debut the legislation. I'm gonna put the number at 8 million plus. We've got the political heft.

Romney: 8 million? That's good. Rob, start building us a coalition in the House. I'll start working the centrist Democrats. Kiera, Nick, and Beth will be responsible for winning the hard rights. Let's go, guys.

Progress went on. By now, it was July of 1995 and Mitt was well-liked in Washington. He'd pushed a reform agenda that appealed to both sides of the aisle. It played well at home, too. He maintained a solid week-to-week 50% approval rating with a 39% disapprove. Richmond watched the numbers like a hawk. He was about to look even closer. Romneycare was announced at noon with the brigade of press assembled by Madden.

Mitt:
      Good afternoon. I'm here today to announce my office's first major policy initiative, healthcare reform. Too many American families struggle with outrageous medical bills, bankrupting middle class families just because they got sick. With the failure of the Clinton healthcare reform plan, conversation about healthcare has mostly dissipated. But the pain of American families has not. The struggles are as real as ever in Massachusetts, and across the country. That's why I am announcing a new push, a market-oriented push, for healthcare reform. Congressman Portman of Ohio will be introducing a partner bill in the House to get the ball rolling on the other side of the Capitol. Now, let me introduce you to my proposal.

The first component of the plan is changing the employer health insurance deduction into a $7,000 deduction for individuals, $15,000 for married couples. This deduction will do two things. One, it makes the idea of portable insurance available for every American regardless of status. The poorest American receives the same deduction as my old boss at Bain Capital. They can both buy the same insurance. Two, the deduction encourages frugality. The deduction is the same whether you buy a 100 dollar a month plan or a 700 dollar a month plan. This encourages people to shop frugally, to cut back on out of control health spending. All of this works to make overall healthcare cheaper for everyone.

The second component is medical malpractice and insurance sale reform alongside wellness incentives. The current legal climate for doctors is one that makes doctors prescribe meaningless testing, practice defensive medicine, and increases the cost of care. Malpractice reform throws out the system of jackpot justice that puts providers under. Along with malpractice reform, my plan opens up the marketplace by allowing people to buy insurance across state lines. This decision increases competition, and lowers prices. Second, we're going to offer money to employers who offer goals-based wellness programs in their workplace. This creates incentives for people to become healthier and stop seeking out healthcare.

The last part of the plan is two-part. First, the plan changes the tax code to incentivize employer matching of employee contributions to health savings accounts. It rolls over all flex spending accounts into HSA's that rollover year to year. Health savings accounts encourage people to be frugal in the care they seek and cut costs in the long run. The second part is specifically for people with chronic, debilitating conditions. The federal government will put money into a high risk pool that negotiates lower costs with insurance companies and provides premium support to those people. This restores fairness to those with pre-existing conditions and expands their access to quality healthcare.

I'll take your questions, because I know you all have them. Yes, Terry.."

Terry: Senator Romney, do you think this proposal will be taken seriously by the leadership of both parties?

Mitt: The plan is a serious a plan. It answers the call from families in my state, in Congressman Portman's state, and across the country for healthcare reform. I believe that there are enough reform-minded, optimistic members here in Washington that we can force the cynical culture of the Capitol to make this great change for American families. James...

James: Thank you, Senator. How do you think the plan will be received in Masschusetts in terms of your approval?

Mitt: James, the people of Massachusetts know that our healthcare system is broken and Washington needs to fix it. I believe that Massachusetts will support the plan because I know fully well the plan will benefit them in the long run.

The press conference continued, the headlines were written and the stories composed. The press liked it. Mitt's staff watched as their guy sailed through the presser answering question after question and sold the healthcare plan they'd poured months of their time into. It was great and seemed like nothing could go wrong. A team at the Center For Healthcare Solutions had their mission and the Speaker was summoning reporters to his office. Things were about to get interesting on Capitol Hill.

Gingrich: While not as bad as Hillarycare, the Romney plan is still an intrusion into the marketplace. I laud certain provisions, such as the malpractice reform and sale across state lines, but overall the bill constitutes a fundamental threat to American capitalism. It's involving the government in more of our everyday lives. I'll have a final statement to release within the next day. Thank you.

Correction. Now the Center had their mission. As news made its way around the Capitol, Senate Republicans generally supported the plan. Bob Dole was the first to make a very public statement of support for the plan, winning him favor among the Romney team.

Ad running in states where GOP senators were on the fence.

Mitt: Hi, I'm Mitt Romney, a proud father, Senator from Massachusetts, and author of a middle class healthcare reform plan. My plan makes it easier for families to get insurance, helps them save their money to pay for checkups and minor procedures, and helps the sick and the poor get access to great health coverage. When I talk to people in my state, I hear stories about how hard it is for families to insure their children. We've got to do this. But we can't do this without you. Call your Senator and Congressman and ask them to support market-based healthcare reform. Thank you, God bless.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 01:59:08 PM »

This is great!
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 03:23:15 PM »

The Count

Mitt: Okay, guys. Show me where we're at.

Kiera: Well, Senator, let me show you member-by-member where we're at:

Alabama
Helfin: Lean Yes
Shelby: Lean Yes

Alaska
Stevens: Yes
Murkowski: Yes

Arizona
Kyl: Undecided
McCain: Yes

Arkansas
Pryor: No
Bumpers: No

California
Feinstein: No
Boxer: No

Colorado
Brown: Yes
Campbell: Undecided

Connecticut
Dodd: Leans No
Lieberman: Undecided

Delaware
Biden: Leans No
Roth: Undecided

Florida
Graham: Undecided
Mack: Undecided

Georgia
Nunn: Yes
Coverdell: Undecided

Hawaii
Akaka: No
Inouye: No

Idaho
Craig: Yes
Kempthorne: Yes

Illinois
Simon: Undecided
Brown: No

Indiana
Lugar: Yes
Coats: Leans Yes

Iowa
Grassley: Yes
Harkin: Undecided

Kansas
Dole: Yes.
Kassebaum: Yes

Kentucky
McConnell: Leans Yes
Ford: No

Maine
Snowe: Yes
Cohen: Yes

Maryland
Mikulski: No
Sarbanes: No

Massachusetts
Romney: Yes.
Kerry: No.

Michigan
Levin: No
Abraham: No

Mississippi
Cochran: Yes
Lott: Yes

Montana
Baucus: Leans Yes
Burns: Leans No

Nebraska
Kerrey: Undecided
Exon: No

Nevada
Reid: No
Bryan: No

New Hampshire
Gregg: Yes
Smith: Yes

New Jersey
Lautenberg: No
Bradley: No

New York
D'Amato: Undecided
Moynihan: No

North Carolina
Helms: No
Faircloth: No

North Dakota
Conrad: Leans No
Dorgan: Leans No

Ohio
Glenn: No
DeWine: Yes

Oklahoma
Inhofe: Undecided
Nickles: Leans Yes.

Oregon
Hatfield: Yes
Packwood: Yes

Pennsylvania
Specter: Yes
Santorum: No

Rhode Island
Chafee: Yes
Pell: Undecided

South Carolina
Thurmond: Leans No
Hollings: Undecided

South Dakota
Pressler: Yes
Daschle: Leans No

Tennessee
Thompson: Undecided
Frist: Undecided

Texas
Hutchison: Yes
Gramm: Yes

Utah
Hatch: Yes
Bennett: Yes

Vermont
Leahy: No
Jeffords: Yes

Virginia
Warner: Leans Yes
Robb: Undecided

Washington
Gorton: Yes
Murray: No

Website
Byrd: No
Rockefeller: No

Wisconsin
Kohl: Leans No
Feingold: Leans No

Wyoming
Simpson: Yes
Thomas: Yes

YES: 39           NO: 36        UND: 25

Nick: We have reason to believe that the Senators from Montana will go together on this. We get one, we get them both. The rest of the undecideds are mostly independently fearful of the politics of the bill. They're afraid of how it will play at home. We've already taken several measures to sell the bill nationwide and outside groups are to our aid. We think we can pass it, Senator.

Mitt: What do I need to be doing?

Kiera: Work the Montanans. We'll handle the rest.

Mitt: Okay, break.

Things were rough around the Minority Leader's office. A couple of days ago, Daschle released a statement saying that "as of today, the Senator will not be supporting the Romney Plan." Mitt had called and asked about the statement and what it would take to win the Leader's support. Daschle had essentially told him that he couldn't do it because his members would revolt in the next caucus meeting. Kiera had crafted a strategy that recognized the first rule of being a politician. Surviving re-election comes first. Daschle's members would not cause much of a stir if they knew it was what Daschle had to do to survive the next election. Shortly thereafter, the Center for Healthcare Solutions launched an $800,000 ad campaign against Daschle and for the law in South Dakota. The Romney campaign account also gave a $100,000 loan to a grassroots group in South Dakota to build support for and apply pressure on Daschle.

Daschle: Listen, Bill, they're spending 900,000 in South Dakota. I can muster that money to fight back, but it means I'm playing defense. We had a rough midterm and I can't afford to divert money away from '96 by spending today. That's almost a million dollars that we could be using to recover some of the seats lost in '94.

Clinton: Tom, I hear ya buddy, but if this thing gets through the Senate, and we think it'll make it through the House, this puts me in a really tough place. It'll have passed because it was popular and people liked it. The Republicans are gonna say, "Look, Billy finally got his healthcare reform!" and then I'm gonna have a couple long nights figuring out if I can sign this thing. You need to kill, for the sake of '96. Ya understand?

Dashle: I understand. Let me think it over. Decide what the budget can handle.

Clinton: We're democrats, and if you believe everything you hear, our budgets can do anything! Hahaha, thanks Tom. Talk to you later.

Ad Running in South Dakota

Woman: Hi, I'm Susan. A little over 3 months ago, I lost my job. With my job, I lost my insurance for me and my kids. I prayed every night that my kids wouldn't get sick because we could afford the trip to the hospital. Now, Congress is looking at healthcare reform, written by Mitt Romney, that would have let me keep my insurance after I lost my job. It would help me save money to take care of my children's health. But for some reason, our Senator, Tom Daschle, is opposing this reform. Call Senator Daschle, tell him that the middle class needs healthcare reform, not more of the same.

Gallup released a poll two weeks into the healthcare wars. 44% of people supported the bill in comparison to 34% opposing the bill. In South Dakota, 53% support the bill to 33% oppose. Daschle's approval went from 55-40 before the healthcare push to 48-46 after. Daschle hadn't put up a paid defense because of budget fears. Things were looking good for the laws and bad for Daschle.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 03:31:21 PM »

The level of detail is incredible. Riley, are you on a congressional staff?
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 03:45:09 PM »

This time next year, hopefully. I get the detail because Romney was "my guy" since 2008. I've met the guy and the family's great. Good motivation, good subject matter, etc. Thanks for the compliment though. Cheesy

Thanks, Flo!
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 05:39:40 PM »

This is so great and realistic!!
Well done!!
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 06:30:09 PM »

This is so great and realistic!!
Well done!!
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 07:25:52 PM »

This.

Arguably this is one of the best modern timelines out there.

Kudos!
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 10:09:32 PM »

Backing it Up

Senator Jesse Helms was leading the conservative opposition to the Romney Plan in the Senate. He and Gingrich were both lobbying heavily for the plans defeat. Helms was from the populist, Southern, evangelical wing of the Party whereas Mitt was rich, Northern, and a Mormon. There was no way the men could mesh personally. And Helms had no intention of meshing politically. Team Romney wasn't pleased with Senator Helms' campaign against their guy.

Press Release from the Romney office

Mitt would like to congratulate his father, George Romney, for getting back in the game of politics with his formation of the organization Restore Our Future. While the Senator or his political team are in no way connected to the organization, Mitt hopes that his father and his staff are successful in promoting conservative principles of reform. In the face opposition from both sides of the aisle, Restore should serve as a great tool for the American people to send Washington a message
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kiera: This is great, Kevin. The racist bastard can't help but know we're warning him at this point.

Madden: I thought you'd say that. Let's clear it with Beth.

Kevin and Kiera talking to Beth.

Beth: This is good. It sends a clear message to Helms and his cronies that we'll hit them just as hard as we're hitting Daschle. Cleared.

Kiera: Okay Kevin. Let's take it to the Senator.

Beth: Excuse me, Miss Krites. I know you're relatively new here, but cleared with me is the same as cleared with Mitt.

Kiera: Oh, excuse me. I'm sorry. Let's go get this shipped out Kevin.

Kevin and Kiera in Madden's office.

Kiera: Kevin, I really don't think she likes me. Am I intimidating or something? Like, why can't she just like me? I expect people from other offices to hate my guts. It's my job to make their boss whimper and ask for forgiveness.

Kevin: You're intimidating as hell, babe. But let's not talk work. Are you gonna come over tonight?

Kiera: We've agreed not to discuss this on the job. Later.

Kevin: Later.

Mitt: Yes, thank you so much, Scott.....Mhm.....Yes. Thanks for giving me the heads up. How's the family?.....That's great to here. I'm going to go brief the troops. I appreciate...Uh-huh...Goodbye.

Team, *staff enters room* That was Scott Rasmussen on the phone giving us a heads up on numbers coming out the day after tomorrow in our healthcare battle. Eric, will you read these aloud please.

Ferhnstrom: Okay, starting with South Dakota:

Bill approval is up to 55-38. Daschle's favorability even at 48-48, his job approval, however stands at 43-50. Clinton's taken a slight hit, but is still above water. North Carolina next. The bill is mostly unknown. 38-24 on approval of it. Helms is sitting at a solid approval of 53-39. His favorability, however, is tight. 50-46. That's good for what is about to happen. Asking GOP primary voters if they would vote for Helms or "someone else", He's up 39-21. That's great given his seniority.

Nationally, the law's numbers are the same as last time around, but +1 to both sides. Clinton's taken a pretty significant hit from this fight, dropping 3 points. The national electoral calculus seems to be shifting under his feet because of his anti-reform stance. Since we gave messaging packets to the GOP House Members, they've been selling the plan to their voters, knowing now that killing reform would in turn kill our chances of taking the White House in '96. He's fallen a few points on General Election Matchups, even against no-names. This suggests that the damage done is inflicted directly on him, not just his party. That's what the poll is saying.

Massachusetts, since we launched the grassroots "Romney's for Reform" push to maintain your popularity, you're holding at 52-40 approval, Senator. They love you and your family though. 56-40 on favorability. Things are looking good. We take 51-45 against a Ted Kennedy rematch. Massachusetts supports the Romney healthcare plan 50-45. The likely electorate is in stronger support of the bill. Mr. Fix-it is fixing it. They like that.

There you go, Senator. It's all roses for us.

Kiera: This is great news. It gives us a control to evaluate whether Restore's attacks are hurting Helms. We want him to pay for leading the opposition. All of that "being taken seriously" business, yeah. We're backing it up.

Mitt: Excellent. I think I almost have Baucus, guys. He seems to be hinting at working tax reform together.

Beth: Mitt, you need to be focused. I know you want tax reform. But we need to focus on making sure your first action as a US Senator, a massive overhaul of healthcare, is a success. Stick with it.

Mitt: Got it. Stay on subject. If there's nothing else between all of us, break.

Rasmussen called Daschle, too. Giving him fair warning that the numbers weren't good for his side. If he wanted to keep up a coherent opposition to the bill, he needed to keep his liberal caucus in line. With him coming from a conservative state but being a liberal, he was going to have to use his caucus as his mouth piece to bring all of the Democrats under one banner of opposition. Helms and Gingrich, the unlikeliest of friends, were offering to help shut Romney down.

Daschle: Guys, can everyone come out here? *staff stops working and directs attention to the Leader* I just got of the phone with a pollster. Our numbers in South Dakota have broken. Our favorability is even at 48. Our approval though is 7 points underwater. We can't run the opposition effort anymore. Get me a list of Senators who have leadership talents and were Nays our last count. Get them in here, we're going to full brief them on the opposition playbook. They won't have the electoral risks that we do.

Young Staffer: Umm, Senator, our last count was like weeks ago. Are you sure....

Daschle: Our members are loyal. They'll not have changed much. Just bring them in.

Young Staffer: But Senator we don't want to leak the playbook to someone who might change their vote...

Daschle: Son, I'm the Senator here. I'm the Majority Leader. I know my caucus. Class dismissed. Get back to work!

Staffers looked at the count and debated about who would be best at heading the opposition. After much discussion, they settled on Senator Harry Reid of Nevada to serve as te new face of the Anti-Romney sentiment in the Senate. They brought him in, briefed him and sent him out to be the good soldier.

DRUDGE
DASCHLE RETREATS

The young staffer that Daschle snapped at would have none of being talked to. Upset after being yelled at, he went to his desk and wrote the entire conversation. Typing it up in an email at home, he sent it to the website he read religiously, even though he was left-of-center. Drudge. They broke the story and the White House was furious. The White House's horse in the race was in retreat after a shellacking at the ballot box? That's not what they wanted to here.

Carville: Daschle doesn't have the balls to be leader! I said this when the Congress started and I stand by it today. What we're seeing now is a symptom of that ballessness!

Hillary: He definitely didn't put his all into my bill. It failed and he could have saved it. I think it's time to cut him out of the loop, Mr. President.

Bill: Hmm....Well, Daschle's what we got until I run for re-election. Is there any precedent for the White House deposing the Senate Minority Leader due to incompetence? Can we get the DNC to start hunting for a primary challenger? Just let the press get a whiff of it and it's scare the wimp to death.

Carville: I'll make a couple calls.

Hillary: I want to lead on this. Let me call, James. I'll back channel some money to the primary challenger. If it goes to public, gets to raw, I'm the First Lady. It would be a dumb mistake from the one in the building that doesn't know what's going on. You get caught, James, it's an orchestrated administration to depose Tom Daschle. That's hurts all of us. All of our ambitions.

Bill: Hillary's right. Let's get this done. Go on, Hillary. James, just get back to work.

The universe was conspiring to devastate Tom Daschle's political career. His weak leadership on the Republican health plan, his fragile alliance with Newt Gingrich and Jesse Helms, and his ceding of power to Harry Reid all served to damage his chances of re-election.

While Daschle struggled to keep afloat, Kiera was making progress. The Democratic opposition to the bill was folding. After circulating the poll numbers and Restore Our Future running ads hitting Helms on a number of issues, people knew that Romney's staff was serious. A total of 1.4 million in loans had been granted from Romney's campaign account to grassroots organizations that support the mission of "conservative reform." They were all affiliated with an organization close to the Romney office, the "American Opportunity Coalition." The pressure was on, Mitt was popular, activists swore by him, and the bill was on the right track.

Kiera came over. They're not talking about it at the office, still. Beth mentioned something to Mitt about "making sure our office has high ethical and moral standards." But nothing specific. Mitt agreed. The couple don't know that there is any hint of it around the workplace. Kiera had laser-like focus on the healthcare bill 12 hours a day, and so did Kevin. All seemed well in the workplace. But Beth was not a fan of Miss Krites. Despite her...popularity...with the press office.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 12:18:45 AM »
« Edited: March 05, 2014, 12:27:46 AM by Assemblyman Riley Keaton »

I'd love to hear your predictions of what happens to Mitt, the team, etc. Post them here!

Also: A small CNN Meet the Press appearance by Mitt is upcoming.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 12:46:53 AM »

Russert: This morning, we have Senator Mitt Romney of Massachusetts the author of the new Republican healthcare plan. Good to have you on, Senator.

Mitt:Good to be here, Tim.

Russert: Now, there have been a lot of critics of your plan from both sides. Specifically, recently Senator Jesse Helms, your colleague from North Carolina, said, "Massachusetts Moderate Mitt Romney's plan is a whole new government intrusion into the market. He's trying to pay people to lose weight!" Speaker Gingrich echoed Senator Helms' statement. What do you say to your conservative critics?

Mitt: Well, Tim, that just isn't true. My plan liberates people from employer-based insurance and provides incentives for individuals to go out and buy their own insurance. The Romney Plan also allows people to save their own money more effectively. Nothing in the plan is a market intrusion. This absurdity about "paying for weight loss" is based on the wellness incentives. People should be rewarded for setting and achieving health goals.

Russert: Do you think Speaker Gingrich and Senator Helms believe they can defeat the bill?

Mitt: I don't know if they do or not. However, I would love to ask them in person. Before I came on the show, I was on the phone with Congressman Portman, the sponsor of my bill in the house, and we've agreed on something. Newt, Jesse, if you're watching, Congressman Portman and I challenge you to a debate series on the three major networks. Three debates, two on two. Let's hash out our differences and talk to the public honestly and effectively, on the same stage.

Russert: That's a great challenge, I volunteer as moderator. *both chuckle* Senator, I'm about out of time, but since this healthcare debut, people are talking up a possible Presidential or Vice Presidential run in either 1996 or 2000. Any thoughts on that?

Mitt: Tim, I'm focused on serving the people of Massachusetts and bringing responsible, conservative reform to Washington DC.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 08:49:43 AM »

Mitt's plan looks like the Healthy Americans Act in some ways...
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 12:59:55 AM »

Yeah. somewhat. The Bush Administration proposed something similar to Mitt's plan but it didn't get very far. The CBO rated it and everything. There was a Politico Magazine article not too long ago about "Bushcare", I can PM you a link if you'd like.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2014, 01:51:30 AM »

Recruitment Trip

Kiera had taken a three-day break from Washington to fly to South Carolina. Her logic was that the strategy of backing up threats needed to be implemented to the fullest possible extent. That meant finding a potential primary challenger to Jesse Helms. Kiera's rental pulled up in front a nice looking home in Charlotte, NC. She left her car and knocked on the door.

Kiera: Hi, Congresswoman Myrick? We spoke on the phone.

Myrick: Oh, of course. From the Romney office. Come in, come in. Can I get you anything to drink?

Kiera: No, ma'am that won't be necessary. Now, I'm sure you've speculated about what this visit could be about.

Myrick: I think I know what you're about to ask. You want me to challenge Jesse Helms.

Kiera: You're spot on. I'm sure you've seen the numbers, Helms is vulnerable to a primary challenge being an incumbent having really weak numbers. If he opposes the Romney Plan at the final vote, we think his Senate seat could be lost to a Democrat in the general.

Myrick: You think he's that vulnerable?

Kiera: Congresswoman, our campaign account has lent $300,000 to organizations in this state to build support for the Senator's reform agenda. We'll be getting a report on the progress of those groups went they make their next payment. We have reason to believe we could raise 3,000 volunteers overnight for a challenge to Helms. He's vulnerable.

Myrick: I've had my political director analyzing the possibility. I've thought long and hard about it before you even got here. I'm in. My congressional infrastructure will need some pretty significant upgrades though. If I were to hold a large fundraiser in Charlotte, would the Senator make an appearance.

Kiera: I think we can make that happen.

They were in business. This would send a very clear message to all of Washington. Opposition to the reform agenda has consequences. If Jesse Helms is vulnerable in South Carolina and Tom Daschle is getting bypassed by the White House, there is some heft to this new Romney guy.

Romney, in an effort to maintain party cohesion whilst a loyal staff member hunted down a primary challenge for a sitting US Senator, was about to speak at a fundraiser for the NRSC. The Beltway Press and cocktail chatter were talking about NRSC considerations of awarding Romney a vice-chairmanship for the enthusiasm and ideas he'd been generating. This fundraiser, in front of the biggest donors, was, for all intents and purposes, an audition.

Mitt:

"In 1996, we have a great opportunity to change the discourse. Rather the tired old policies that we've been pushing for over a decade, we have the chance to promote a broad-based reform agenda that will make us competitive from South Carolina to Maine, from Virginia to California. When we talk about our ideas, our beliefs, and our principles in relation to the real lives of people, we win!

Ronald Reagan was great about this. You know, the famous "Are you better off" quip wasn't just a great political line. It was the symbol of how we have to talk to voters. If you get each and every voter alone for a couple hours, any one of us in this room could persuade them to give the Republican Party a chance. But we have 3 minutes, not 3 hours. Our ideas of free enterprise, strong families, and American exceptionalism can be summarized in those 3 minutes. We want to reward people who work harder and help those who fall down get back up as long as they keep trying. We want every child to have loving parents and a shot at life. And we want America's status as the last superpower and defender of human rights to be cherished and preserved. People should keep what they work for, raise their kids right, and be safe in their country.

By pursuing the reformist, middle class agenda that I am proud to say I have contributed to, we can win anywhere. While the pundits say that President Clinton is in a strong position for '96, I believe that a Renaissance of Republican Ideas can level the playing field. Thank you, enjoy the evening, God bless.

The donors approved. Money was raised, names were remembers, and hands were shaken. The night was deemed a success by every measure. The donor class was firmly behind Romney's healthcare plan and he was asked on more than one occasion, "What's next, Mitt?"

Senator Harry Reid was leading the charge on a bill that could make his career. The White House called to officially ordain his control over the Democratic opposition to the bill. There would be no working with Helms or Gingrich under Reid's leadership. Daschle was weak to even consider working with them, Reid thought. He believed that he had rustled up enough votes for a filibuster of the bill. His staff was already coordinating with a couple of the more firebrand type senators to make the filibuster a talkathon to turn the public against the bill. He thought he had won this one. And that his career was set. Then the phone rang.

Staff: Senator Daschle is on the line.

Reid: *picks up phone* Yes?

Daschle: Harry we just got another round of internals out of my home state. My opposition to the bill is turning absolutely toxic. It's opened me up to an onslaught back home on any number of issues.

Reid: Why does this matter to me?

Daschle:*sigh*....Harry...I'm voting for the bill.

Reid: YOU'RE WHAT?!

Daschle: There's no way around it. I don't have the capacity to defend against the stuff Romney can put into South Dakota. They're funding a handful of activist groups that are apparently protesting all of my rep offices and actively campaigning against me, and election day is more than 3 years away.

Reid: If you support his bill, there will be the gravest of consequences. *click*

Daschle was stressed. His life as Leader had taken a horrible, horrible turn for the worse. The White House was cutting him out of the loop and now he angered a younger Senator who he knew wanted his job. Things weren't looking up at home, either. His political responsibility to the President was also taking a hit, with '96 looking more an more competitive each day the healthcare wars dragged on. There was nothing he could do change that, he told himself. If Bill wants it to die in the Senate, there is going to be some blood extracted. Things were coming to a close for Tom Daschle, he could feel it. He was tired. And he was just ready to go home. Wherever that was.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2014, 06:45:17 AM »

Yeah. somewhat. The Bush Administration proposed something similar to Mitt's plan but it didn't get very far. The CBO rated it and everything. There was a Politico Magazine article not too long ago about "Bushcare", I can PM you a link if you'd like.

Healthcare has been always an issue of my interest. However, I prefer the HAA than this legislation that we are seeing coming up. Even so, although being Conservative, this legislation is definitely progress.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2014, 08:06:23 PM »

Every day you go without updating this timeline is another piece taken out of my soul. Tongue
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2014, 10:21:43 PM »

Every day you go without updating this timeline is another piece taken out of my soul. Tongue

Hahaha. Launched it with a string of snow days, then school came back. More this weekend.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2014, 01:06:31 AM »

Outside Voices

The battle for healthcare reform raged on. The Romney camp saw victory after victory, Myrick floating to the press that Helms "must pass the bill or the GOP should look to its congressional delegation for the next Senator from South Carolina," Daschle handing off leadership on the bill to Harry Reid, the White House having long, politically motivated secretive calls that make for nice ad fodder, and Mitt's name recognition and popularity skyrocketing. Kiera had turned the legislative operation in the Romney office into a mutant of the legislative and political departments. It was a political juggernaut that grew in size each day. Mitt blew away crowd after crowd of big dollar donors that gave more and more to massive outside organization to influence opinion and support the Romney agenda. But they were blindsided when a different kind of outside voice muscled into the conversation. It started with a little speech...in Texas.

George Bush: I have gathered you to announce that I, as an executive of the 2nd most populated state in the nation, oppose the dangerous Romneycare legislation being pushed forward in Congress. While it does not fit in with the four points I have been hammering on during the campaign and during my time in office, I feel it is important for conservative governors such as myself to make their feelings know.

Romneycare is an unnecessary intervention into the private sector of healthcare. It takes a misguided, health insurance solution to a healthcare problem approach to reform. Just shifting around the tax code and placing money in different pots is not what our healthcare system needs.

The fundamental question when considering healthcare is.....is our people healthy?

Governor Bush, newfound figurehead of conservative opposition to Romneycare.

Mitt: Is our people healthy? Really? This is the guy you want me to worry about?

Zwick: He's a Bush, Senator. They've got a vast political network. A massive one. They are going to try to elect that man, the "is" guy, President of the United States one day. Now, I'm not a big fan. But still. He's a threat.

Mitt: This is what's wrong with our government. I get attacked because I make a living saving jobs, lives, and companies. And I get harassed for it on television. Meanwhile, this big eared cowboy can get elected to the  2nd most powerful governor in the country. Just unbelievable.

Kiera: It isn't fair, Senator. But the change in conservative opposition leadership will knock the wind out of their sails. You're going to have a vote STRONGLY in your favor,  Senator.

Mitt: Let's hope. Monitor the cowboy. I'm going to go fix Washington now, as if it's that easy.

The fight went on. Disarray on the opposition front led to the Romney team to picking up many votes. They moved full steam ahead while the opposition stopped to change conductors. Reid's formidable, but late, efforts were mostly fruitless. Bush didn't have the leverage to kill the bill. And now the polls had 60% of Republicans supporting the bill alongside 40% of Democrats and  55% of independents. The number of people uninformed about the bill was high as well. The disapproval of law stood at 35-40-38 among GOP, Dems, and Independents respectively.

With a politically popular bill, an upcoming election year, the final vote took place immediately before government spending debates were set to take place. This bill would make the GOP's chances in '96, giving them something beyond "the Contract" to run. Something that helped people and made a difference.

The Romney team watched anxiously as Senators voted:

Alabama
Helfin: Aye
Shelby: Aye

Alaska
Stevens: Aye
Murkowski: Aye

Arizona
Kyl: Aye
McCain: Aye

Arkansas
Pryor: Aye
Bumpers: Nay

California
Feinstein: Nay
Boxer: Nay

Colorado
Brown: Aye
Campbell: Aye

Connecticut
Dodd: Aye
Lieberman: Aye

Delaware
Biden: Aye
Roth: Aye

Florida
Graham: Nay
Mack: Aye

Georgia
Nunn: Aye
Coverdell: Aye

Hawaii
Akaka: Nay
Inouye: Nay

Idaho
Craig: Aye
Kempthorne: Aye

Illinois
Simon: Nay
Brown: Aye

Indiana
Lugar: Aye
Coats: Aye

Iowa
Grassley: Aye
Harkin: Aye

Kansas
Dole: Aye
Kassebaum: Aye

Kentucky
McConnell: Aye
Ford: Nay

Maine
Snowe: Aye
Cohen: Aye

Maryland
Mikulski: Aye
Sarbanes: Nay

Massachusetts
Romney: Aye
Kerry: Nay

Michigan
Levin: Not voting
Abraham: Nay

Mississippi
Cochran: Aye
Lott: Aye

Montana
Baucus: Aye
Burns: Aye

Nebraska
Kerrey: Aye
Exon: Nay

Nevada
Reid: Nay
Bryan: Nay

New Hampshire
Gregg: Aye
Smith: Aye

New Jersey
Lautenberg: Nay
Bradley: Nay

New York
D'Amato: Nay
Moynihan: Nay

North Carolina
Helms: Nay
Faircloth: Nay

North Dakota
Conrad: Aye
Dorgan: Nay

Ohio
Glenn: Nay
DeWine: Aye

Oklahoma
Inhofe: Aye
Nickles: Aye

Oregon
Hatfield: Aye
Packwood: Aye

Pennsylvania
Specter: Aye
Santorum: Nay

Rhode Island
Chafee: Aye
Pell: Nay

South Carolina
Thurmond: Aye
Hollings: Nay

South Dakota
Pressler: Aye
Daschle: Aye

Tennessee
Thompson: Aye
Frist: Aye

Texas
Hutchison: Aye
Gramm: Aye

Utah
Hatch: Aye
Bennett: Aye

Vermont
Leahy: Nay
Jeffords: Aye

Virginia
Warner: Aye
Robb: Aye

Washington
Gorton: Aye
Murray: Nay

West Virginia
Byrd: Nay
Rockefeller: Nay

Wisconsin
Kohl: Nay
Feingold: Nay

Wyoming
Simpson: Aye
Thomas: Aye

ROMNEYCARE ATTAINS 60 VOTE THRESHOLD WITH LARGE CROSSOVER SUPPORT
Dem Leadership Breaks; Conservative Opposition Folds After Thurmond Declares Last Minute Support

In a stunning turn of events, the Senate has passed Senator Mitt Romney's proposed healthcare reform. While the Romney team felt a sense of momentum and were very confident going into the vote, there was still an undeniable anxiousness, and later excitement, at the vote.

There have been, what critics call, many "horse race" pieces written in the media about Romneycare. These stories, Senator Reid(the lead Democratic opponent) says, are part of the reason the bill is passed. Such heavy coverage of the primary threat by Congresswoman Sue Myrick against Jesse Helms and Tom Daschle's retreat, and later vote in favor of, healthcare reform. With Daschle went many leadership-type Democrats. Strom Thurmond announcing his support for the bill within half an hour of the vote led to many conservatives abandoning the hardliner, no-reform Helms last minute.

The passage of the Senate bill allows for a conference with the identical House bill and a quick shipment to the President's desk. There are still many questions to ask in regards to how President Clinton will move on the bill. One thing is for certain, the public want healthcare reform and this is a great opportunity to get it.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2014, 02:03:34 AM »

I noticed Bush's opposition hasn't changed Hutchinson and Gramm's minds. Think it will?

Also...I predict Beth will find out about Kiera's indiscretions.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2014, 09:41:08 AM »

How did the Senators from Minnesota vote?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies