The 2014 primary season ends (Sept. 9: DE, MA, NH, NY, RI)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:55:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The 2014 primary season ends (Sept. 9: DE, MA, NH, NY, RI)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 98
Author Topic: The 2014 primary season ends (Sept. 9: DE, MA, NH, NY, RI)  (Read 145900 times)
GaussLaw
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: June 03, 2014, 10:20:09 PM »
« edited: June 03, 2014, 10:24:19 PM by GaussLaw »

I'll just say, no matter who wins tonight (or if it goes to a runoff), Thad Cochran is the Richard Lugar of 2014.

And hopefully Travis Childers will be the Joe Donnelly of 2014.

Are you accounting for Mississippi being one of the most inelastic Republican states in the nation? McDaniel will probably still win if he is the nominee.

Probably. But Mourdock was favored as well. Considering McDaniel is a racist neoconfederate, I'd say chances are pretty high he will make an Akin/Mourdock gaffe.

Well, it is possible that both Akin and Mourdock could have won in Mississippi. That wouldn't be a good thing by any stretch, but still, it could happen...

Mourdock would easily have won Mississippi since he only lost Indiana by 6.

Akin, not so much.........
Mississippi was only about 1 point more Republican than Indiana in 2012.

(And now I'm done playing devil's advocate. I realize Childers has a tough road ahead. But McDaniel will definitely make another major gaffe or 2, and this photo scandal's not going away.)

But when you account for elasticity differences, the difference expands.  Also, midterm turnout in MS vs. Presidential turnout for Indiana.  That easily makes up the 5 point difference(as MS is 1 point mroe GOP).  Also, the % of people who identify as conservative is among the nation's highest in MS, not so in Indiana.  

I agree, 2 gaffes and McDaniel's finished.  

But now, he'd win by 8-10 points I think.

EDIT:  I see what you're saying though.  Dems should invest money here just so the GOP has to as well.  But this is no better than an OR-SEN for Republicans.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #626 on: June 03, 2014, 10:20:20 PM »

Also, if it ends up being a runoff, Cochran is going to throw everything besides the kitchen sink at McDaniel, and vice versa. It's going to get ugly. This will help Childers.

And, all of this Republican money pouring into Mississippi for the runoff is not going to be pouring into Arkansas, Louisiana, etc., so that's a major plus even if Republicans hold the state in November.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #627 on: June 03, 2014, 10:20:51 PM »

How has Taylor done in Lamar so far tonight? It's the only county with outstanding precincts in his district and his only shot at making a runoff.

Bad. Losing 64/30 Sad
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #628 on: June 03, 2014, 10:21:09 PM »

Kashkari, thus far, holds a narrow lead over Donnelly, but obviously the night is young.

And lol, Jerr Bear is at 56%.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #629 on: June 03, 2014, 10:21:36 PM »

For the recent other updates, Walsh is still crushing the anti-gay Bohlinger while Lewis is still winning handily in the Dem House primary and Stapleton is leading Zinke 36-33 with 2% in.

"Gay, lesbian and bisexual Americans lived in the shadows. An outed gay man was regarded as a security risk, a potential traitor and not entitled to any position of trust." - John Bohlinger, listing reasons why the 1950s were bad.

"America has changed, and some of have learned and permitted our thoughts and beliefs to change and grow as well. The average American is not a financially successful middle-aged heterosexual Christian white guy. We are gay and straight, male, female and transgendered, we have pale skins or dark skins, we are young and old." - John Bohlinger on Americans.

If you're going to attack the guy, at least do so accurately.
Bohlinger's own campaign website isn't exactly going to tell the whole truth considering his record shows Bohlinger's history has him supporting hate crime laws, but not same-sex marriage. Walsh himself recently endorsed SSM. And while we're talking about this, AP calls the race for Walsh! Woooo Cheesy

Amazing how we just saw a huge reversal of fortune for Cochran. Now it's Cochran who has to pray that McDaniel doesn't get above 50% and McDaniel is pretty dang close to it with more than 9/10th's of precincts in. Palazzo's still above 50%.

In Iowa, Pat Murphy has been called in IA-1's Dem primary so he's likely to win that seat and Brad Zaun is down to 29% against Cramer with 70% in. :/  Come on Zaun!
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #630 on: June 03, 2014, 10:22:13 PM »

Orly Taitz is only at 3% in the CA Attorney General race. Sad Hopefully she sues the state and every candidate for election fraud.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #631 on: June 03, 2014, 10:22:34 PM »

MS-04 called. Palazzo Sad

Good effort by Taylor, though.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #632 on: June 03, 2014, 10:24:35 PM »

I'll just say, no matter who wins tonight (or if it goes to a runoff), Thad Cochran is the Richard Lugar of 2014.

And hopefully Travis Childers will be the Joe Donnelly of 2014.

Are you accounting for Mississippi being one of the most inelastic Republican states in the nation? McDaniel will probably still win if he is the nominee.

Probably. But Mourdock was favored as well. Considering McDaniel is a racist neoconfederate, I'd say chances are pretty high he will make an Akin/Mourdock gaffe.

Well, it is possible that both Akin and Mourdock could have won in Mississippi. That wouldn't be a good thing by any stretch, but still, it could happen...

Mourdock would easily have won Mississippi since he only lost Indiana by 6.

Akin, not so much.........
Mississippi was only about 1 point more Republican than Indiana in 2012.

(And now I'm done playing devil's advocate. I realize Childers has a tough road ahead. But McDaniel will definitely make another major gaffe or 2, and this photo scandal's not going away.)

But when you account for elasticity differences, the difference expands.  Also, midterm turnout in MS vs. Presidential turnout for Indiana.  That easily makes up the 5 point difference(as MS is 1 point mroe GOP).  Also, the % of people who identify as conservative is among the nation's highest in MS, not so in Indiana.  

I agree, 2 gaffes and McDaniel's finished.  

But now, he'd win by 8-10 points I think.
If McDaniel has half a brain, he would just lay low and not make that many statements. Of course, he would still have to debate Childers if I'm not mistaken, but if we haven't seen a gaffe by then, I don't think McDaniel is in much danger of losing to Childers, should he win the GOP nod.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #633 on: June 03, 2014, 10:24:54 PM »

Allen Weh is the R candidate for senate in NM.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #634 on: June 03, 2014, 10:25:34 PM »

Kashkari coming in 3rd combined with Brown being over 50 percent would be a wonderful epitaph for the California GOP.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #635 on: June 03, 2014, 10:26:24 PM »

AOSHQDD has McDaniel holding at 50.12%, Cochran at 48.3%.

RealClearPolitics has McDaniel at 49.8%, Cochran at 48.6%

At this point, it seems like a 50/50 chance of a runoff happening.
GaussLaw
« Reply #636 on: June 03, 2014, 10:26:54 PM »

I wonder if conservatives will now cite Jones County as a reason for the GOP to move further to the right by saying something about how being crazy will unlock all the "missing" white voters or something

(It's a crazy argument, I know, but I could see it given how huge that turnout was)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #637 on: June 03, 2014, 10:28:38 PM »

93% now in MS, McDaniel leading 49.7 to 48.7. Most of the counties with only partial results are going for Cochran, but a few are going for McDaniel. Still nothing in from Holmes or Covington though.
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #638 on: June 03, 2014, 10:28:52 PM »

AOSHQDD has McDaniel holding at 50.12%, Cochran at 48.3%.

RealClearPolitics has McDaniel at 49.8%, Cochran at 48.6%

At this point, it seems like a 50/50 chance of a runoff happening.

AOSHQDD's results look a little outdated. But still, McDaniel is hovering dangerously close to 50%.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #639 on: June 03, 2014, 10:28:57 PM »

For the recent other updates, Walsh is still crushing the anti-gay Bohlinger while Lewis is still winning handily in the Dem House primary and Stapleton is leading Zinke 36-33 with 2% in.

"Gay, lesbian and bisexual Americans lived in the shadows. An outed gay man was regarded as a security risk, a potential traitor and not entitled to any position of trust." - John Bohlinger, listing reasons why the 1950s were bad.

"America has changed, and some of have learned and permitted our thoughts and beliefs to change and grow as well. The average American is not a financially successful middle-aged heterosexual Christian white guy. We are gay and straight, male, female and transgendered, we have pale skins or dark skins, we are young and old." - John Bohlinger on Americans.

If you're going to attack the guy, at least do so accurately.
Bohlinger's own campaign website isn't exactly going to tell the whole truth considering his record shows Bohlinger's history has him supporting hate crime laws, but not same-sex marriage. Walsh himself recently endorsed SSM. And while we're talking about this, AP calls the race for Walsh! Woooo Cheesy

Yes, I would believe that Bohlinger's 2014 campaign website is more reflective of his current positions than whatever he said in 1998.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #640 on: June 03, 2014, 10:29:06 PM »

Kashkari coming in 3rd combined with Brown being over 50 percent would be a wonderful epitaph for the California GOP.

Kashkari has clearly won the honor to lose to Jerry in November. He ran a ton of ads on Fox News, and they were effective.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #641 on: June 03, 2014, 10:29:51 PM »

I wonder if conservatives will now cite Jones County as a reason for the GOP to move further to the right by saying something about how being crazy will unlock all the "missing" white voters or something

(It's a crazy argument, I know, but I could see it given how huge that turnout was)

Yeah, turnout seems unusually high. Ace of Spades is saying that 119%(!) of predicted turnout has come in so far, and the precincts haven't even finished reporting.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #642 on: June 03, 2014, 10:30:20 PM »

AOS project McDaniel 49.78%, Cochran 48.61%.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #643 on: June 03, 2014, 10:31:19 PM »

If it goes to a runoff, will Dems/indies be able to vote in it?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #644 on: June 03, 2014, 10:32:01 PM »

Dems might not get through to the general election in CA-25. Ugh.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #645 on: June 03, 2014, 10:32:12 PM »

Not if we didn't vote in it today. I voted in the Democratic primary today for Childers, so I won't be able to vote in the runoff.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #646 on: June 03, 2014, 10:33:40 PM »

Not if we didn't vote in it today. I voted in the Democratic primary today for Childers, so I won't be able to vote in the runoff.

Ah, in that case, Cochran is likely screwed.

Hopefully he'll at least take a few pounds of flesh from McDaniel on his way out.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #647 on: June 03, 2014, 10:33:53 PM »

AOS project McDaniel 49.78%, Cochran 48.61%.
If that's true, that's called runoff territory.

Palazzo won 50-43 in MS-4.

GaussLaw
« Reply #648 on: June 03, 2014, 10:34:29 PM »

Voting in the primary is a prerequisite to voting in the runoff?

What?
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #649 on: June 03, 2014, 10:34:36 PM »

Is Jeff Bell the same man who knocked out Clifford Case in NJ?  He must be getting up there in years!
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 98  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies