The 2014 primary season ends (Sept. 9: DE, MA, NH, NY, RI)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:47:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The 2014 primary season ends (Sept. 9: DE, MA, NH, NY, RI)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 ... 98
Author Topic: The 2014 primary season ends (Sept. 9: DE, MA, NH, NY, RI)  (Read 145868 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1475 on: June 24, 2014, 11:37:45 PM »

I don't think anyone seriously thought McDaniel was gonna concede tonight, even if Cochran was up.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1476 on: June 24, 2014, 11:39:03 PM »

"This is a fight we had to have." 
"I want to thank you for standing with me." - "I'm still standing."   
"We were right tonight."
 "Now it's our job to make sure the sanctity of the vote is upheld!"   
"We want to make sure the Republican primary was won by Republican voters!" 
"But we are not prone to surrendering, Mississippians."   

Couldn't have said it better myself. And judging from his remarks, he will in fact challenge the vote! Cheesy  Cochran doesn't deserve this "victory" when McDaniel won the initial primary to begin with, with 49.5% of the vote, runoff or not. It's clear Mississippi conservatives, not liberal black Democrats, want McDaniel, not a long-serving, out of touch Senator.

What the hell is wrong with you?

Adam really, really wants a Senator Childers for some reason.
That would be nice, but I'm more focused on a pickup in KY/GA since we have much better opportunities there and I highly prefer Grimes/Nunn over Childers. Like with Hall/Ratcliffe, both McDaniel and Cochran are incredibly conservative and I disagree with both of them on just about everything.

Considering a Childers win is negligible in either case though, it's a matter of choosing a younger, more representative Senator or a Phil Bryant-backed Senator who's a DC insider that won't even commit to staying a full term and refused to give Mississippians a debate between him and McDaniel. Not to mention how Cochran wanted to make this race more about alleged McDaniel scandals than the issues.

A Childers win would be "nice?"  This coming from the guy who wants Pryor to lose because he's not progressive enough? Huh
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1477 on: June 24, 2014, 11:39:27 PM »

CO-5 is in, Lamborn wins over Rayburn 52-48 with 100% in!

Still waiting on NY-13.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #1478 on: June 24, 2014, 11:40:23 PM »

"We were right tonight."

Couldn't have said it better myself. And judging from his remarks, he will in fact challenge the vote! Cheesy  Cochran doesn't deserve this "victory" when McDaniel won the initial primary to begin with, with 49.5% of the vote, runoff or not. It's clear Mississippi conservatives, not liberal black Democrats, want McDaniel, not a long-serving, out of touch Senator.

You're a racist.
For supporting McDaniel over Cochran? There are plenty of other Democrats on here that supported McDaniel, Riley. I support Obama, I'm against voting restrictions that disenfranchise black voters, I support affirmative action, I support Obamacare, and plenty of black politicians I'm supporting this year in my state and other states.

It's true McDaniel did attend a few Neo-Confederate meetings, yes, but he is the lesser of the two evils. He made offensive comments about gays and I even still support him over the Mark Sanford of Mississippi! I probably would abstain if McDaniel ends up being the nominee against Childers though.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1479 on: June 24, 2014, 11:42:46 PM »

I don't think anyone seriously thought McDaniel was gonna concede tonight, even if Cochran was up.
Considering the margin was outside of 1 point, I thought McDaniel might accept his loss, but I guess he's just really, really stubborn. We likely won't get the final tallies until late morning on the 25th, but we do have 99.9% in and a 1.6% difference, and that seems a bit too wide for a challenge to be worth it.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1480 on: June 24, 2014, 11:44:38 PM »

Considering the margin was outside of 1 point, I thought McDaniel might accept his loss, but I guess he's just really, really stubborn. We likely won't get the final tallies until late morning on the 25th, but we do have 99.9% in and a 1.6% difference, and that seems a bit too wide for a challenge to be worth it.

He's going allege that "liberal Democrats" poisoned the race and the results aren't legitimate. Obviously he won't win, but it will be great media-whoring grandstanding for him and propel him into his next endeavor, whether that's as a write-in candidate for this same race, something in 2015 in Mississippi, or some kind of national media gig.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1481 on: June 24, 2014, 11:46:40 PM »

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1482 on: June 24, 2014, 11:53:05 PM »

Republicans think that there is a nationwide epidemic of black and brown people committing voter fraud. McDaniel doesn't think the result is illegitimate because Democrats crossed over; he think it's illegitimate because he thinks the votes in heavily black precincts for Cochran are fraudulent. Such is the degree of the right-wing hysteria in this country.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1483 on: June 24, 2014, 11:58:15 PM »

Guys, Adam's not a racist, he's just a breathlessly vapid youth-worshiper. He said it himself. It's quite common, really.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1484 on: June 25, 2014, 12:32:31 AM »

All of NY District 13 is in, Rangel beats Espillat 47-44!

That's all for tonight. Now we've got a nice long break. The next election night is July 15, when AL and NC hold runoffs.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1485 on: June 25, 2014, 01:06:48 AM »
« Edited: June 26, 2014, 07:26:59 PM by cinyc »

So far (with one precinct yet to report in Hinds County), MS-R Senate runoff turnout was 117.4% of primary turnout.  Here's a relative heat map showing where runoff turnout lagged or exceeded 117.4% of primary turnout.  Red indicates runoff turnout exceeding the statewide average; blue indicates runoff turnout lagging the statewide average.  Gradation is in 5-point increments up to +/- 40 points:

Runoff Turnout was less than 100% of primary turnout in Chocktaw, George, Hancock and Stone counties, three of which are in the southeastern part of the state.  This might not be final - over 5,200 votes were added to the official SoS tally versus the last AP tally of the primary.

Turnout in the runoff so far is 127.3% of the 2012 Republican Presidential primary turnout.  Here's a map of relative turnout from the runoff to the 2012 Republican Presidential Primary.  again, red means runoff turnout was greater than in 2012; blue means runoff turnout was less than 2012; green means runoff turnout was more than 100 points greater than 2012:

Finally, a county map of how much better or worse McDaniel performed in the runoff versus the primary.  Red means McDaniel performed better in the runoff than the primary; blue means McDaniel outperformed in the primary.  Gradation is in 5-point increments up to +/-40.  The primary vote percentage was calculated by ignoring votes for Carey:

Edited to add: I updated the maps to show the "final" AP unofficial results.  I also corrected one typo in my official Lowndes County results, which changed the gradation a shade in the relative turnout map.

Runoff turnout is now 118% of Republican primary turnout and 128.1% of 2012 Republican Presidential Primary turnout - and it might go up a bit more when the final official results are in.  Runoff turnout is now more than 100% of primary turnout in Chocktaw County.  They either counted more votes there or there was a typo in the last batch of AP results.  The three counties with less than primary-level turnout are all in Southeastern Misssippi.  The contested congressional primary probably raised turnout there.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1486 on: June 25, 2014, 01:29:39 AM »

Good to see that Cochran has won after all.

Better a Sen. Cochran than a Tea Party fanatic McDaniel, because Childers would have lost anyway.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1487 on: June 25, 2014, 01:31:34 AM »

Oh man, what happened in OK with Shannon ?

Bradley-effect or was Lankford just the much stronger candidate in the finish or seen as more experienced ?

Polls showed Lankford+8 at best and he won by 20+
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1488 on: June 25, 2014, 01:37:29 AM »

My predictions:

MS: 52% Cochran, 48% McDaniel

OK: 47% Lankford*, 45% Shannon*, 4% Brogdon, 4% Others (* = runoff)

FL-19: 68% Clawson (R), 27% Freeman (D), 5% Lib. guy

Actual results:

MS: 51% Cochran, 49% McDaniel

OK: 57% Lankford, 34% Shannon, 5% Brogdon, 4% Others

FL-19: 67% Clawson (R), 29% Freeman (D), 4% Lib. guy

Smiley

(except OK)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1489 on: June 25, 2014, 01:40:19 AM »

Adam wants the naming rights for the Deluge back I see.
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #1490 on: June 25, 2014, 02:05:32 AM »

Adam wants the naming rights for the Deluge back I see.
Somebody tell him the Deluge isn't the greatest waterslide park ever.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1491 on: June 25, 2014, 06:39:30 AM »

"We were right tonight."

Couldn't have said it better myself. And judging from his remarks, he will in fact challenge the vote! Cheesy  Cochran doesn't deserve this "victory" when McDaniel won the initial primary to begin with, with 49.5% of the vote, runoff or not. It's clear Mississippi conservatives, not liberal black Democrats, want McDaniel, not a long-serving, out of touch Senator.

Why do want McDaniel in the Senate?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1492 on: June 25, 2014, 08:19:02 AM »
« Edited: June 25, 2014, 09:20:12 AM by Badger »

The tea party is officially dead. You can't win a MISSISSIPPI runoff against a moderate republican? LOL

Please. Most GOP Congresscritters, including most red state senators, are far more scared of a tea party challenge than a Democratic one. Their voting records and unwillingness to compromise now matching the True Believers is the result. The Tea Party (and their de facto allies in the CfG wing of the party) have made most of the GOP caucus TPIABN--Tea Party In All But Name.

Chuckling out loud at the description of Cochran as "a moderate". He's an arch-conservative in all but a patrician reserved non-fire breathing style (the last work being key), and addiction to greater than usual fondness for local pork spending.
NHLiberal

« Reply #1493 on: June 25, 2014, 08:24:41 AM »

The tea party is officially dead. You can't win a MISSISSIPPI runoff against a moderate republican? LOL

Please. Most GOP Congresscritters, including most red state senators, are far more scared of a tea party challenge than a Democratic one. Their voting records and unwillingness to compromise now matching the True Believers is the result. The Tea Party (and their de facto allies in the CfG wing of the party) have made for of the GOP caucus TPIABN--Tea Party In All But Name.

Chuckling out loud at the description of Cochran as "a moderate". He's an arch-conservative in all but a patrician reserved non-fire breathing style (the last work being key), and addiction to greater than usual fondness for local pork spending.

Also, I think the fact that a Tea Party candidate beat a 36-year, entrenched Senator who has brought so much to the state in the primary and fell short to him in the runoff only because of liberal voters says a lot more about the strength of the Tea Party than the fact that McDaniel (probably) lost in the end.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #1494 on: June 25, 2014, 08:28:31 AM »

I wouldn't consider the Tea Party dead over this, Cochran had to beg Democrats to vote for him, which is a luxury that other Republicans who have lost in primaries did not have.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #1495 on: June 25, 2014, 08:36:25 AM »

She made a nonsensical threat to go third party over the housing of undocumented Central American children being kept in Texas and Arizona two weeks ago. So it looks like she's been fishing for an excuse to go the Pat Buchanan route and get a second chance at fame, possibly in the 2016 election.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1496 on: June 25, 2014, 08:56:55 AM »
« Edited: June 25, 2014, 09:23:07 AM by Badger »

Rangel's approx. 300 vote margin is due to 2 adjacent Bronx precincts on the north edge of his district. Lotsa votes and he carried them with close to 90% of the vote. He's not doing that well in black Harlem precincts!

What gives? Do those neighborhoods hate Dominicans or something?

I think you're talking about Tracy Towers in the Bronx, which is a middle-income subsidized housing development.  I'd have to check the census to be sure, but I think it's heavily African-American.  This article says it has a large Ghanian population.

Thanks Cinyc. Could be re: the Ghanans, though the heart of "Little Ghana" is about 30 blocks south. One of the precincts appears to include Clinton DeWitt High School which is Rangel's alma mater, fwiw (though he dropped out his junior year). The school website actually lists a majority of students as being of Hispanic origin, and only a bit over one-third as black.

I too assume the precincts are heavily African-American based on the results. Wink I'm just trying to decipher why this neighborhood would be Rangel's strongest, even compared to most black Harlem precincts. Maybe it was one of the heaviest A-A precincts outside Harlem, and thus Walrond syphoned away few votes since he wasn't known there? But even then Espaillat did downright lousy getting about 5% of the vote in these precincts. Maybe it is the Ghanan thing. Has anyone heard of Rangel having strong ties to their community?

EDIT: Maybe I should've read the article you linked before posting. Tongue Yeah, that's Tracey Towers neighborhood alright, and from what I've read recently about their community, the share of Ghanans living there has probably grown heavily even since the article was written.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1497 on: June 25, 2014, 09:04:00 AM »

So will Mississippi introduce party registration that can't be changed during a runoff period so as to keep Democrats from messing with future Republican primaries?  That seems like an obvious revenge move for the Tea Partiers to push for.

Considering most MS GOP legislators, and certainly their leadership, backed Cochran, I seriously doubt it.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1498 on: June 25, 2014, 11:23:58 AM »

Okay, all the votes from MS are in, and the margin is 50.9 Cochran, 49.1 McDaniel. The vote tally is 191,133 to 184,548 - a victory margin of 6,585 votes for Cochran. Do you really think you can overturn this margin in the courts, McDaniel? If I were you, I'd just give up.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1499 on: June 25, 2014, 12:12:24 PM »

Okay, all the votes from MS are in, and the margin is 50.9 Cochran, 49.1 McDaniel. The vote tally is 191,133 to 184,548 - a victory margin of 6,585 votes for Cochran. Do you really think you can overturn this margin in the courts, McDaniel? If I were you, I'd just give up.

Well, he isn't you, is he?

Given that his thesis is that the Demmycrats and Negroes can't be voting in the primary, he'll probably keep throwing his fit, he's that kind of guy (and hopefully you aren't).

And actually my screen has 191508 to 184815, a tad worse for McD
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 ... 98  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies