KY Sen. Maj. Leader wants law to allow Paul to run for prez & senate @ same time
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:41:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  KY Sen. Maj. Leader wants law to allow Paul to run for prez & senate @ same time
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: KY Sen. Maj. Leader wants law to allow Paul to run for prez & senate @ same time  (Read 3785 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2014, 10:39:00 PM »

Doesn't the fact that Paul is so desperate to have a "fallback option" make him look bad?

Did it make LBJ look bad? I feel like most politicians would be doing this if they had presidential ambitions and held office at the same time.

It makes it seem like he's not fully committed to the presidential run. He lacks the fire in the belly if he can't take a risk.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2014, 06:01:52 PM »

Paul / the Kentucky GOP's options:

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/dem-control-kentucky-house-complicates-rand-pauls-2016-plans-n245456

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2014, 09:02:27 PM »

Why would the Democrats want to get in his way? From there perspective, he would be easier to defeat either as President or in the even of him running for both with regards to the Senate. "Paul used KY like a doormat, I am not running for President and running to represent Kentucky" sounds like a powerful theme for a Steve Bashear.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2014, 09:20:16 AM »

*bump*

Grimes is threatening to take Paul to court if he tries to run for both offices at once:

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/12/alison-lundergan-grimes-rand-paul-cant-run-for-president-and-senate-113662.html?ml=po
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2014, 04:40:47 PM »

Well, at least Grimes might end up unseating ONE of Kentucky's senators.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2014, 01:07:00 AM »

He should be allowed to, of course.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2014, 04:32:53 AM »

Doesn't the fact that Paul is so desperate to have a "fallback option" make him look bad?

Did it make LBJ look bad? I feel like most politicians would be doing this if they had presidential ambitions and held office at the same time.

We know that LBJ, Lieberman, and Biden did this for VP, but I can't think of a single case where someone did it for President.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2015, 08:58:27 PM »

Since it looks like the law isn't going to be changed, Paul has now "formally" asked the Kentucky GOP to switch from a primary to a caucus:

link

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Panda Express

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2015, 09:00:08 PM »

rand paul you sly dog you
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2015, 10:43:35 PM »

We know that LBJ, Lieberman, and Biden did this for VP, but I can't think of a single case where someone did it for President.

Johnson and Biden originally ran for President before being tapped for VP.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2015, 11:32:18 PM »

Paul ran as an outsider but since then has cozied up the KY GOP establishment, especially with Mitch McConnell. I guess we will see if that effort has paid off.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2015, 11:33:43 PM »

Paul ran as an outsider but since then has cozied up the KY GOP establishment, especially with Mitch McConnell. I guess we will see if that effort has paid off.

Ron Paul almost won Iowa, and he never got noticed. It already has paid off even if not in the form of serious power. He is legitimately in contention.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2015, 11:39:44 PM »

My point was that back in 2010, Mitch McConnel and the KY GOP establishment were backing Paul's opponent Trey Grayson, so at the end of that election the party wasn't exactly Paul friendly. But unlike Ted Cruz, who continues to buck the TX GOP and establishment, Paul has made an effort. I suspect that if Ted Cruz needed the TX GOP to change the rules for him, they wouldn't. But Paul's efforts and support of McConnell has probably got the KY GOP on his side and so they probably will change the rules for him.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies