Opinion of this Image XI
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:53:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of this Image XI
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Opinion of this Image XI  (Read 1085 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 05, 2014, 08:09:18 AM »

From a 1970s Irish school textbook
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 08:43:13 AM »

Back before our textbooks were tainted by political correctness.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 09:17:24 AM »

Seems too easy? Obviously the answer is the picture that is elevated above all the others.

On the other hand, this is the textbook that educated the men and women who built the Celtic Tiger of the 1990s, so it must have worked.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 10:17:53 AM »

That awkward moment when you remember Ireland is a pretty ed up place.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 10:27:42 AM »

Horrible image, obviously. What subject was this even trying to teach?

On the other hand, this is the textbook that educated the men and women who built the Celtic Tiger of the 1990s, so it must have worked.

Considering how the Celtic Tiger ended up working out, I don't see how that follows.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 10:30:17 AM »
« Edited: March 05, 2014, 10:31:48 AM by a combination of tumblr leftism and moshing »

And people wonder why I don't like Ireland and hate the idea of ethnoreligious based around it. Absolutely disgusting. Also sums up why I don't like paedobaptism.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 10:37:05 AM »

And people wonder why I don't like Ireland and hate the idea of ethnoreligious based around it. Absolutely disgusting. Also sums up why I don't like paedobaptism.

pls go
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 02:06:14 AM »

pls go

BRTD has been operating under the fixed assumption that Ireland, Irish Catholicism, and their history are more or less entirely reducible to the most flagrant excesses of mid-to-late-twentieth-century De Valera-style Ireland That We Dreamed Of triumphalism for years now.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 09:22:34 AM »

plants
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 09:42:46 AM »

I read something in my class on Catholicism that Protestants and Catholics tend to have different imaginations. The Catholic or analogical imagination stressed community, symbolism, and God's presence in the world. The Protestant or dialectical one emphasized individualism and God's separation from the world. One part of it is that for Catholics, baptism represents the individual's early entrance into the natural community, while for the individualistic Protestants--for whom community is an unnatural and not necessarily good thing--consensual entry into the group.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 01:59:32 PM »

As we all know school textbooks are completely reflective of the attitudes and opinions of the students who used them....

I read something in my class on Catholicism that Protestants and Catholics tend to have different imaginations. The Catholic or analogical imagination stressed community, symbolism, and God's presence in the world. The Protestant or dialectical one emphasized individualism and God's separation from the world. One part of it is that for Catholics, baptism represents the individual's early entrance into the natural community, while for the individualistic Protestants--for whom community is an unnatural and not necessarily good thing--consensual entry into the group.

While the emphasis on different foci is correct, the introduction of the word 'imagination' there makes it complete nonsense.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 02:25:42 PM »

As we all know school textbooks are completely reflective of the attitudes and opinions of the students who used them....

While the emphasis on different foci is correct, the introduction of the word 'imagination' there makes it complete nonsense.

I didn't write the reading. Tongue
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 04:53:52 PM »

I looked it up and apparently 'Catholic imagination' is a set phrase in which 'imagination' doesn't necessarily mean the same thing that it does in general use. Andrew Greeley, who seems to have coined the phrase, used it to refer to things like the ideas that he thought underlay thematically Catholic art. Flannery O'Connor used to talk about something very similar, but didn't use that phrase for it.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 04:58:50 PM »

Considering how the Celtic Tiger ended up working out, I don't see how that follows.

Obviously the children educated by the textbooks of the '80s are responsible for then screwing everything up.
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 06:48:17 PM »

That's quite of an intelligence test! To start with, you can't see the baby that is being baptized, just a hand baptizing it. How to draw a circle around an imaginary being? That baby is out!
The text provides some hint on the solution: "the one God loves most" is singular, so it can't be animals. If you trust your senses, you might pick the sketched plant, but if you believe in the Word, it is "plants"->plural->out!

That leaves me with the choice between the "unbaptized baby", and the priest's hand. Is the priest "the one"? But how can he be the one, if we only see part of him? Or is this actually about the one, the right, hand? What a subtle, yet effective discrimination of left-handers!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies