South Park game sale stopped in Germany/Austria because of swastika
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:30:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  South Park game sale stopped in Germany/Austria because of swastika
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: South Park game sale stopped in Germany/Austria because of swastika  (Read 1446 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 05, 2014, 12:12:56 PM »

South Park: The Stick of Truth's German and Austrian releases have been delayed over Nazi iconography.

The swastikas in the game were reported to have been removed for the releases, but examples apparently remained.

"The German and Austrian version of South Park: The Stick of Truth contains an unconstitutional symbol which means that we are unfortunately not able to release the game on the German and Austrian market at this time.

German ((and Austrian) side fact by Tender Branson)) law forbids the use of the Nazi party symbol.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a555601/south-park-stick-of-truth-delayed-in-germany-austria-over-swastikas.html
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 12:13:40 PM »

Weird ...

I sometimes watch South Park on Comedy Central Germany, which is also on the cable network in Austria and Switzerland.

And I'm pretty sure I once watched an episode in which Cartman dressed up as Hitler with a swastika badge. And that was not censored.

He also attacks Kyle frequently as being a "vile Jew" or something, also not censored on the Berlin-based CC-Germany ...
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 12:16:05 PM »

Anything to keep South Park out.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 12:17:48 PM »

Weird ...

I sometimes watch South Park on Comedy Central Germany, which is also on the cable network in Austria and Switzerland.

And I'm pretty sure I once watched an episode in which Cartman dressed up as Hitler with a swastika badge. And that was not censored.

He also attacks Kyle frequently as being a "vile Jew" or something, also not censored on the Berlin-based CC-Germany ...

Ahh yeah, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkYzMocsb9k

German version, with swastika, as I have seen it on live-television from the Berlin-based CC.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 12:28:20 PM »

called it
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 12:29:38 PM »

Christ.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 12:35:25 PM »

BRTD, supporting selective fascism since 2003!
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 12:50:04 PM »

Weird ...

IIRC, television is considered art under the German law and thus exempt, while video games are not.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 01:40:13 PM »

Weird ...

IIRC, television is considered art under the German law and thus exempt, while video games are not.

Right now, the reverse would do more sense. Some video games are really art pieces, while most of the TV shows are horrible trash.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 06:42:50 PM »

Weird ...

Right now, the reverse would do more sense. Some video games are really art pieces, while most of the TV shows are horrible trash.

I agree, but television has been around longer, so it is more accepted. There was a time when conventional wisdom held that movies categorically lacked in artistic value, which is a claim few would advance today.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 08:42:36 AM »

"Television gave us Breaking Bad, video games cause amok runs" is the general sentiment... even in my country. Also, "think of the children!" is pulled faster when it comes to video games.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 12:13:30 PM »

Nope, this is an issue for many a video game involving the war; it's been going since at least the first Battlefield.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 01:30:10 PM »

"Television gave us Breaking Bad, video games cause amok runs" is the general sentiment... even in my country. Also, "think of the children!" is pulled faster when it comes to video games.

Not "even in my country", but "only in my country". I never heard that, except in news reports from Germany.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 06:29:02 AM »

Not "even in my country", but "only in my country". I never heard that, except in news reports from Germany.

http://jonathanturley.org/2012/12/18/lieberman-calls-for-action-on-violent-video-games-after-connecticut-murders/
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 09:39:43 AM »

That's an excellent point. However, I'd prefer the government stay out of both.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 04:29:54 PM »

Weird ...

The German/Austrian law is annoying and dumb, it always makes Paradox censor the historical WW2 game Hearts of Iron, from using historical German Nazi symbols, that are.. historical.  I get the point of the law in say the 1950s, as part of Denazification, but Nazism is not a widely celebrated philosophy on the verge of a comeback in those countries in the 2000s, times have changed.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 06:29:51 PM »

Television gave us Duck Dynasty. Video games gave us Spec Ops: The Line.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 07:38:20 PM »

Those decadent American cartoons.  We must censor them before the good German people can watch them.
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2014, 09:41:30 PM »

Those decadent American cartoons.  We must censor them before the good German people can watch them.

As the good German government said:

Although seriously, this is rediculous.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies