Would any of these black conservatives appeal to black voters if they ran in '16 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:09:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Would any of these black conservatives appeal to black voters if they ran in '16 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Would any of these black conservatives appeal to black voters if they ran in '16  (Read 5197 times)
hopper
United States

« on: March 08, 2014, 07:55:31 PM »

Carson would have some appeal yes. The others listed on this thread for president no probably not. I don't think Sowell would run.
hopper
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 08:00:12 PM »

Believe it or not, Blacks do not vote for people based on their skin color. Same with Latinos.

Um, either you are trolling or incredibly naive.
No they don't but Blacks vote majority Dem but not necessarily for a Black candidate. Ask Jesse Jackson who ran for President twice in a row or Al Sharpton who lost a run off in the Dem Primary for Mayor of NYC in 1997.
hopper
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 08:05:42 PM »

Well the only purpose Herman Cain's candidacy served was to say, "Look, we have a Black member so that means we're not racists, even though we want to put the White back in the White House!!!"
No your post sounds like a conspiracy  theory. Herman Cain was a bad candidate though.
hopper
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 02:21:43 AM »

Believe it or not, Blacks do not vote for people based on their skin color. Same with Latinos.

Were you in a coma during the 2008 and 2012 elections, or are you just being naive?

Obama won 95% of the black vote because he's a Democrat, not because he's black.

If the 2016 is somehow black Republican vs. white Democrat, the Democrat will do just as well with black voters.

Remember the 2006 Ohio and Pennsylvania govs, 2006 Maryland senate, etc.
Well at least Steele made the race a little interesting.
hopper
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 01:35:44 PM »

The fact that conservatives think black people can be tricked into voting GOP if they put up somebody like Allen West or Tim Scott says a lot about conservative opinions on black people's intelligence.
I don't know about tricked. You believe what you believe.

Scott is ok but some of the some of Allen Wests actions I don't care for.
hopper
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 06:57:09 PM »

Black Americans won't be hoodwinked by any of these Uncle Toms.
That's an incredibly racist, ignorant, and misguided assumption. I guess every black person that isn't left-winged must be an Uncle Tom. I don't even agree with West or Scott but comments like this are the reason why it's hard to see Black Republicans.

I let my emotions get the better of me, I apologize. Nevertheless, there's a reason why the black community doesn't support the party of Thurmond.
That's true I don't think Blacks liked it much when Thurmond became a Republican but the Republicans are the party of Thurmond? Never heard that one before.
hopper
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 06:36:03 PM »

Were you in a coma during the 2008 and 2012 elections, or are you just being naive?

Obama won 95% of the black vote because he's a Democrat, not because he's black.

If the 2016 is somehow black Republican vs. white Democrat, the Democrat will do just as well with black voters.

Remember the 2006 Ohio and Pennsylvania govs, 2006 Maryland senate, etc.

Well, the Democrat (Hillary) would do well but not 95% well.
I would say 92% but that's nitpicking.
hopper
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 01:22:06 PM »

That's pretty dumb to say considering Obama's speech at the 2004 convention explicitly pointed out he was half-black in reference to America's cultural melting pot and that his mother was a white woman from Kansas. He even says in his memoir he was raised by his mother and her family and later set out to find his father's side of the family.

It's not the fact of being liberal or conservative or being half-black or whatever. The real issue that conservatives are ignoring is that Republicans just don't have qualified black Republican politicians who are willing to run for President, who also aren't stupid or crazy. Random television personalities and Tea Party activists just won't cut it, that's setting the bar way too low. Their best chance was Colin Powell in 1996 or 2000.

There probably won't be a black Republican President for quite some time either. The GOP would probably be better off trying to recapture the Latino vote that they held a significant chunk of during the Bush years and pushing for the first Republican Latino president because in that area they do have a number of qualified candidates including Susana Martinez and Brian Sandoval. Maybe even George P. Bush, twenty years from now.

After that it was Michael Steele but they did everything they could to marginalize him.
Steele would say things out of the norm though at times. Sometimes his rhetoric would be good sometimes it would be like did he just really say that? He would bring us wins but financially as well the RNC was  in poor shape when he left.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies