Senate Democrats reject justice department nominee Debo Adegbile
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:02:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Senate Democrats reject justice department nominee Debo Adegbile
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Senate Democrats reject justice department nominee Debo Adegbile  (Read 5618 times)
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2014, 06:43:28 PM »

Democrats are becoming increasingly unwilling to take the hit for their President. I expect this bodes well for the Iran sanctions bill down the line.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2014, 07:42:12 PM »

We all read the article so maybe it would be best for people to explain why political grandstanding by the Senate Majority Leader is going to make the senate work more expediently for the American people
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2014, 07:55:44 PM »

We all read the article so maybe it would be best for people to explain why political grandstanding by the Senate Majority Leader is going to make the senate work more expediently for the American people

You'd have us believe that you are actually interested in an idea that is in opposition to your own? We know who's faking. That's why no one's wasting their time.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2014, 01:32:47 AM »

Disgusting. How dare the head of the DOJ civil right's division have spent his career defending peoples' civil rights!

The real problem is that he defended people's civil rights while black.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2014, 01:40:53 AM »

...Is that you, Mitch McConnell?

No but seriously, it's very simple, Reid wants the option to bring this guy up for a vote again, so he voted no, which means by the odd rules of the Senate he can bring this nomination up for a vote again, where normally he could not. Whenever you see a Reid "nay" vote, that's what he's doing. McConnell would be doing the same thing, and Bill Frist also did the same thing.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2014, 12:26:09 PM »

Disgusting. How dare the head of the DOJ civil right's division have spent his career defending peoples' civil rights!
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2014, 02:04:56 PM »

It's one particular case that is causing the problems.  Working to get a convicted cop-killer off of death row and back on the streets is going to raise a lot of hackles.  I can understand being against the death penalty, but I've never understood why death penalty opponents have tried to paint Mumia Abu-Jamal as an innocent martyr.  The core fact that it was his gun which killed Daniel Faulkner has never been disproven and it takes believing some rather fanciful conspiracy theories to think Abu-Jamal was not the one who fired the shots.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2014, 02:10:10 PM »

Basically, any member who votes "no" is allowed to call for a reconsideration at a later day. A member who votes "yes" is not. So, routinely, if the nomination goes down, the majority leader at the last moment switches his vote to "no", to be allowed to request a revote if he manages to get a majority in favor.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2014, 02:19:02 PM »

What a shame. Once again the right's demagogic smear campaign has deprived America of a more than worthy civil servant.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2014, 02:41:57 PM »

Basically, any member who votes "no" is allowed to call for a reconsideration at a later day. A member who votes "yes" is not. So, routinely, if the nomination goes down, the majority leader at the last moment switches his vote to "no", to be allowed to request a revote if he manages to get a majority in favor.

But unless someone has changed sides, is there anything to be gained by a revote?  (Granted the GOP seems to think so with their repeated votes to defund Obamacare in the House, but I thought Reid was saner.)  And if someone does change sides, couldn't they be the one to request a revote?

The only way Reid's no vote makes sense is if plans to suddenly bring up the revote while several opponents are out of Washington, letting Adegbile be confirmed by something like a 48-46 vote.  Adegbile ain't worth the firestorm a stunt like that would cause.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2014, 02:57:22 PM »

But unless someone has changed sides, is there anything to be gained by a revote?  (Granted the GOP seems to think so with their repeated votes to defund Obamacare in the House, but I thought Reid was saner.)  And if someone does change sides, couldn't they be the one to request a revote?

The only way Reid's no vote makes sense is if plans to suddenly bring up the revote while several opponents are out of Washington, letting Adegbile be confirmed by something like a 48-46 vote.  Adegbile ain't worth the firestorm a stunt like that would cause.

It's a pro-forma procedural tactic......regardless of what will happen next.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2014, 03:32:10 PM »

He probably just does it out of habit at this point.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2014, 03:51:01 PM »

He probably just does it out of habit at this point.

Well he has to vote with the prevailing side.....which could be the pubby side a lot.  Wink
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2014, 04:53:08 PM »

I understand politically why Coons caved, but I'm still pretty surprised. He voted for Adegbile in committee.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2014, 07:43:40 PM »

Guys it's been tradition for a long time for the relevant party leader to vote against their party on an unsuccessful cloture motion for the reasons stated above. As in, this literally happens every time a cloture vote fails. Of note are "party line voter" metrics that don't take this into account which show Reid and McConnell voting against their party far more often than they actually do
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2014, 04:57:58 PM »

They voted to filibuster their own party's nominee because the nominee did his job and got a client spared from the death penalty? Time for some primary challenges to these DINOs. Especially to Casey and Coons, who are from blue states.

Your line in the sand for considering someone a DINO is if they vote against an Obama nominee?

If anything Casey should be primaried for his stance on Roe v. Wade.
Well we can't do anything about Coons, but hopefully this will encourage Beau Biden to try and primary Coons this year. He at least would vote the way the Obama Administration would want him to, of course. Casey and Coons are also both responsible for supporting more sanctions on Iran, so I've pretty much lost all trust I've had in them on their failed voting records. Pryor is getting lucky because the deadline in his state passed last week, but I would love to see him beat by Tom Cotton. Heitkamp and Manchin are also no surprise, and John Walsh is in his first weeks and this is what he wants to be initially known for? Shame.

I have to commend Reid though. He gets a lot of hate from his own party from those who don't understand Senate procedures, but is willing to move past that and do the vote swap when necessary because of the lackluster performances of some of his terrible Democratic colleagues. 

Unfortunately, Fox News is now having a field day like MSNBC was the moment the Christie scandal broke. They've been criticizing this guy since day one and I wouldn't be shocked if anyone who heard about Adegbile on there mistook him for Mumia Abu-Jamal himself considering how much they showed his face while talking about Adegbile. God forbid they actually judge Adegbile off of their credentials though, right? Even so, Adegbile is a total FF for fighting for Abu-Jamal's death sentence to be overturned and sentence to be further reduced. It's a mere scare tactic and those handful of Democrats bought into it since they care more about their re-election than a well-experienced lawyer who has knowledge of voting rights heading the federal civil rights division.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2014, 05:01:39 PM »

The FOP ran an aggressive campaign against his nomination, and will wage retribution on everyone who cast "yes" votes.  Dems in conservative states caved.  It's not a mystery.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2014, 12:16:18 PM »

AMENDMENT VI

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.

The Government has been busy shredding the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, and 8th 9th, and 10th amendments for years, why not add the 6th in there as well?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2014, 10:14:22 PM »

I don't understand something here.  If Casey's such a hardcore Catholic that he's against Roe v. Wade, shouldn't he be fiercely anti-death penalty as well?  I though that he was...
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2014, 07:10:37 AM »

I don't understand something here.  If Casey's such a hardcore Catholic that he's against Roe v. Wade, shouldn't he be fiercely anti-death penalty as well?  I though that he was...

If all Mumia's supporters were trying to do was commute the death penalty of the cop killer, it hopefully wouldn't be as controversial, but they've also been trying to set him free.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2014, 09:53:59 AM »

Harry can you imagine the headlines if Casey really supported this guy?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2014, 10:22:57 AM »

Who cares? No one will remember this in 2018 either way...
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2014, 12:03:07 PM »

Who cares? No one will remember this in 2018 either way...

Casey is constantly looking over his shoulder in fear. He thinks Pennsylvania is Mississippi. Wink
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2014, 12:43:21 PM »

If all Mumia's supporters were trying to do was commute the death penalty of the cop killer, it hopefully wouldn't be as controversial, but they've also been trying to set him free.

Yeah, that's how habeas works. Then the state would be free to re-try him, in a fair trial that respected his constitutional rights. They could theoretically immediately re-arrest him so he would never actually be released.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2014, 02:02:55 PM »

They voted to filibuster their own party's nominee because the nominee did his job and got a client spared from the death penalty? Time for some primary challenges to these DINOs. Especially to Casey and Coons, who are from blue states.

Your line in the sand for considering someone a DINO is if they vote against an Obama nominee?

If anything Casey should be primaried for his stance on Roe v. Wade.
Well we can't do anything about Coons, but hopefully this will encourage Beau Biden to try and primary Coons this year. He at least would vote the way the Obama Administration would want him to, of course. Casey and Coons are also both responsible for supporting more sanctions on Iran, so I've pretty much lost all trust I've had in them on their failed voting records.

I'm certain Beau Biden's campaign of 'Coons didn't vote for somebody linked to Mumia' will play well in suburban Philadelphia.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies