Senate Democrats reject justice department nominee Debo Adegbile (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:22:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Senate Democrats reject justice department nominee Debo Adegbile (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senate Democrats reject justice department nominee Debo Adegbile  (Read 5639 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: March 06, 2014, 02:04:56 PM »

Disgusting. How dare the head of the DOJ civil right's division have spent his career defending peoples' civil rights!

It's one particular case that is causing the problems.  Working to get a convicted cop-killer off of death row and back on the streets is going to raise a lot of hackles.  I can understand being against the death penalty, but I've never understood why death penalty opponents have tried to paint Mumia Abu-Jamal as an innocent martyr.  The core fact that it was his gun which killed Daniel Faulkner has never been disproven and it takes believing some rather fanciful conspiracy theories to think Abu-Jamal was not the one who fired the shots.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 02:41:57 PM »

Basically, any member who votes "no" is allowed to call for a reconsideration at a later day. A member who votes "yes" is not. So, routinely, if the nomination goes down, the majority leader at the last moment switches his vote to "no", to be allowed to request a revote if he manages to get a majority in favor.

But unless someone has changed sides, is there anything to be gained by a revote?  (Granted the GOP seems to think so with their repeated votes to defund Obamacare in the House, but I thought Reid was saner.)  And if someone does change sides, couldn't they be the one to request a revote?

The only way Reid's no vote makes sense is if plans to suddenly bring up the revote while several opponents are out of Washington, letting Adegbile be confirmed by something like a 48-46 vote.  Adegbile ain't worth the firestorm a stunt like that would cause.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 07:10:37 AM »

I don't understand something here.  If Casey's such a hardcore Catholic that he's against Roe v. Wade, shouldn't he be fiercely anti-death penalty as well?  I though that he was...

If all Mumia's supporters were trying to do was commute the death penalty of the cop killer, it hopefully wouldn't be as controversial, but they've also been trying to set him free.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies