SENATE HEARING: Adam Griffin for Game Moderator (Confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:44:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE HEARING: Adam Griffin for Game Moderator (Confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SENATE HEARING: Adam Griffin for Game Moderator (Confirmed)  (Read 1304 times)
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 05, 2014, 10:50:20 PM »
« edited: March 09, 2014, 08:27:57 AM by VP Matt »

Executive order #698

I am appointing Adam Griffin to the position of Game Moderator.

Alright, here we go again. A familiar situation, eh? Wink

Senators, you will have 72 hours to raise questions for the nominee.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 12:00:10 AM »

What, if anything, will you do differently from last time you were GM?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 03:28:07 AM »

I've always been fond of cyclic behavior! It was precisely one year ago today that I was being rejected in my first confirmation hearing. Maybe the third time will be the charm. Wink

Definitely the estimates/cost analysis system. I approve of the reforms GM Averroes Nix implemented and intend to continue them if confirmed. In addition to the elimination of cost analyses for proposed legislation, I'd also propose only offering cost analyses of bills that have been in effect for at least six months.

Why? Well, the previous approach (and to a lesser extent, the current one if you can request cost analyses immediately upon passage of a bill) basically amounts to game policy being determined by the Game Moderator, albeit in an indirect fashion. If the GM says a project will cost $x and will cause y, then that's what it costs and those are the effects. There are no real consequences to policy-related actions in the game, in part because everyone can anticipate them fully.

The previous, unadulterated form of this system added up to an overwhelming amount of the workload for a GM. The numbers are crunched on an annual basis in budgets anyway (and oh boy, it's just about that time of the year again), so reflections regarding deficits and surpluses ultimately are provided for the nation and the regions.

The old system fostered a good environment if this were real life. It put too much focus on the element of budgets, when in most cases, there are no actual consequences to a budget with red ink. It is a game, however, and policy decisions should be allowed to go into effect and generate said consequences, rather than having a gloomy GM proclamation kill its fortunes.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 04:54:50 AM »

Thanks! No further questions! I support the nominee.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 07:42:20 AM »

I feel that this nominee would have been better able to improve Atlasia in another capacity... but regardless, he is immeasurably qualified and has my support for GM.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 07:59:08 AM »

I've always been fond of cyclic behavior! It was precisely one year ago today that I was being rejected in my first confirmation hearing. Maybe the third time will be the charm. Wink

Definitely the estimates/cost analysis system. I approve of the reforms GM Averroes Nix implemented and intend to continue them if confirmed. In addition to the elimination of cost analyses for proposed legislation, I'd also propose only offering cost analyses of bills that have been in effect for at least six months.

Why? Well, the previous approach (and to a lesser extent, the current one if you can request cost analyses immediately upon passage of a bill) basically amounts to game policy being determined by the Game Moderator, albeit in an indirect fashion. If the GM says a project will cost $x and will cause y, then that's what it costs and those are the effects. There are no real consequences to policy-related actions in the game, in part because everyone can anticipate them fully.

The previous, unadulterated form of this system added up to an overwhelming amount of the workload for a GM. The numbers are crunched on an annual basis in budgets anyway (and oh boy, it's just about that time of the year again), so reflections regarding deficits and surpluses ultimately are provided for the nation and the regions.

The old system fostered a good environment if this were real life. It put too much focus on the element of budgets, when in most cases, there are no actual consequences to a budget with red ink. It is a game, however, and policy decisions should be allowed to go into effect and generate said consequences, rather than having a gloomy GM proclamation kill its fortunes.

Don't you believe the reforms made by Averroes are going to slowly the number of laws passed by the legislatures? I mean, if we can't have any information about the cost, how could we vote that bill? It would be dangerous, wouldn't it?
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 08:41:42 AM »

Don't you believe the reforms made by Averroes are going to slowly the number of laws passed by the legislatures? I mean, if we can't have any information about the cost, how could we vote that bill? It would be dangerous, wouldn't it?

How do you think the GM previously developed a cost estimate?  Tenous research and abundance of work.  The alternative is, one actually researches the possible costs, and consequences of the bill they write, or plan to vote on..

Not to derail this conversation or anything..

And FTR, please confirm Adam.  If you don't, I might cry.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 09:28:15 AM »

1) If confirmed, will you resume making GriffGraphs?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 10:58:09 AM »
« Edited: March 06, 2014, 11:29:34 AM by Midwest Governor windjammer »

How do you think the GM previously developed a cost estimate?  Tenous research and abundance of work.  The alternative is, one actually researches the possible costs, and consequences of the bill they write, or plan to vote on..

Not to derail this conversation or anything..

And FTR, please confirm Adam.  If you don't, I might cry.
Cinci, I understand that the GM has always a lot of work to do, and I respect that. But if the GM stops doing that, yeah, the number of bills created will slow down, that's all.

And I hope the senate will of confirm him.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 11:21:15 AM »

I have no questions for you, because I know you'll do a great job! You'll have my vote.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 08:25:12 PM »

Do you have any ideas to combat the lack of interest/respect with regards to the story telling aspect of thE Game Moderator since we seemed to have lost two good officeholders because of either this directly or similar lack of regard?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 01:00:27 AM »

I don't believe there'll be a quantifiable difference when applied universally. I saw multiple pieces of legislation die as a result of providing a simple dollar amount in the past. As Cinci mentioned, basic research of the cost considerations of a piece of legislation by its sponsors before it is proposed can help determine whether or not the bill is a budget-buster or not, combined with the most recent budgetary assessments provided. 

1) If confirmed, will you resume making GriffGraphs?

I don't see why not.

Do you have any ideas to combat the lack of interest/respect with regards to the story telling aspect of thE Game Moderator since we seemed to have lost two good officeholders because of either this directly or similar lack of regard?

The authority of the office of Game Moderator and its extensions have a lot of power that I think has yet to be tested, primarily out of fear of "stepping out of line". I look forward to taking a different and more proactive approach the second time around. I was never very involved in story-line creation, in part because the cost analysis elements of the role were such a huge part of the responsibility. The A-CCM was probably the only example in which I provided somewhat detailed story-line details. There are very few things I am better at in this game than drawing attention to a narrative when I have the time/resources.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 08:31:15 AM »

I'm pretty sure this will be an easy confirmation (Griffin is objectively the best choice for GM) and I support the nominee. I am, however, very interested in this new approach to story telling, specially in regards to the consequences of our actions (so it doesn't seem like we live in a vacuum) in terms of policy and even statements.

I guess my only question (a rather inconsequential one, granted) is: Do you plan to work closely with the SoIA and SoEA to create events or would you rather observe their performance and create events as a result of that?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 07:16:58 PM »

I guess my only question (a rather inconsequential one, granted) is: Do you plan to work closely with the SoIA and SoEA to create events or would you rather observe their performance and create events as a result of that?

When I first became GM, I encouraged  the remainder of the GM team to be creative and use their powers to drive story-lines for the game. All I requested was that both the SoIA and SoEA forward their stories to me before publication. If they didn't hear back from me within 12 hours, then it was safe to assume that it could then be published.

With (hopefully) more free time as GM to peruse other areas, I intend to take a more proactive role in this endeavor. Each member of the GM team needs to have their own responsibilities and initiatives, but more intense story-lines (like the Canadian one that GAWorth worked on) need collaboration.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 09:07:30 PM »

Well, that's sounds excellent to me, I have no further questions (and I support the nominee).
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2014, 12:18:30 AM »

This can be put to a vote.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2014, 12:42:46 AM »

Senators, a vote is now open on the nominee. Please vote: AYE, NAY, or Abstain.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2014, 12:43:42 AM »

AYE
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2014, 12:47:19 AM »

AYE
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 12:50:42 AM »

Aye.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2014, 01:25:55 AM »

AYE
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2014, 02:55:36 AM »

Aye
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2014, 07:17:54 AM »

Aye
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2014, 07:50:22 AM »

Aye
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2014, 08:27:33 AM »

With 7 votes in the affirmative, the nominee has been confirmed.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies